Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

greatest gatsby posted:

So is it possible to open doors without destroying them in creative mode or is that just a result of me using a trackpad and ctrl+click as button 2? Because that's the only thing I can think of that could be causing it

I know right-clicking with a regular mouse will open doors/push buttons/flip switches/etc in Creative without breaking them. Dunno what to tell you with a trackpad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well, I fired up my server to try out 1.9 Prerelease 2 and immidiatly noticed a problem. I got auto-kicked for "moving too fast" when using the Ender Pearl teleport ability. Is there a way to disable this?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ThndrShk2k posted:

Do swamps still look like complete rear end in 1.9.pre2?

What are your specific complaints? Because other than the water color drastically jumping from blue to green in adjacent blocks, I think swamps look amazing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Duzzy Funlop posted:

loving impressive is what that is. But do you really need to have the logo in such a brutal contrast to the surroundings there?

Having been on the server, the logo is practically tucked away in a corner, so even though it clashes a little bit, they don't beat you over the head with it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Allen Wren posted:

Also, irrational annoyance about "seasons" that last a week and a half. loving edit your poo poo, each match should be an episode.

I think a lot of the appeal is that you can see everything that happens in real time. A post season highlights reel would be nice, though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
There was a quote from Notch somewhere back when the Terms of Service originally changed that basically said that the "never pay for anything again ever" line was originally there because he never planned on having any additional paid content at all, and that particular line in the TOS was emphasizing that. When Mojang became a big company instead of just a couple guys working out of their homes, his legal advisers told him he should probably remove that line just to avoid any misunderstandings down the line. I know there was a lot of talk among some fans saying that alpha buyers should get the iOS/android/Xbox Live version of minecraft for free because they bought the PC version in alpha and thus get all minecraft content for free. There was even a guy on GameFAQs that made a case for getting Scrolls and Cobalt for free since he was an Alpha Minecraft buyer and he should get all "related content" for free too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

D34THROW posted:

A) Scrolls and Cobalt are related to Minecr...what the gently caress...:psyduck:

His whole argument was "Made by the same company, therefore related". He later tried to back it up with "they must've brought some skills to cobalt and scrolls that they got from minecraft" or some such poo poo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think it would be great if at the center of the UHC map, there was a big fortress filled with one of those jumping puzzle/freerunning challenge maps. Set up Bukkit and some permissions so nobody could modify blocks in or near it, and make the reward for getting through the course a chest with some potion ingredients or a golden apple or something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

A shrubbery! posted:

Didn't Notch say that supporting Minecraft from the alpha would get you access to all versions of Minecraft that come out in future?
I like the look of the 360 version but I'm not paying twice.

This is exactly why Notch's/Mojang's lawyers had that clause pulled from the TOS. Its not that hard to justify that line of reasoning and expect to the the iOS, android, and 360 versions of minecraft because you're an alpha buyer. That said, I haven't heard of anyone actually trying to make an issue of it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

HardDisk posted:

The free stuff people are only those that bought the game on alpha.

Notch stated in what was either an interview or one of his blog posts that he has no plans to ever charge for additional Minecraft content. The only reason that particular phrase/clause was removed from the terms of service was because his lawyers recommended it. There are some people out there who are arguing that the Xbox 360, iOS, and Android ports of Minecraft fall under that "never pay for Minecraft again" umbrella, and there was even one guy that tried to claim that Cobalt and Scrolls were derivative works and he should get those for free too. Its crazy stuff like that that Notch's/Mojang's lawyers wanted to prevent.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't understand why we can't talk about minecraft videos in the minecraft thread :geno:

Because Ultra-Hardcore discussion was more or less completely taking over the Minecraft thread? I was having trouble finding discussion about Minecraft among all the discussion of videos about Minecraft.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

hitze posted:

What is there to discuss exactly?

Weekly snapshots? Cool poo poo you've been building? I dunno, what's there to discuss about any video game?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think it's really cool that we're getting an actual unit of currency that isn't tied to a type of block. This would have been handy back in the early beta days...a server I played on had a block based economy in place for the sole purpose of buying Nether blocks because portals didn't work in SMP.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kem Rixen posted:

That said, I'm really excited about a lot of the things in 1.3, writable books alone is something that I've wanting for a really long time.

I do hope they make player-written books readable from some manner of display rather than having to put it in your inventory. Maybe a book-stand similar to the enchanting table, but you right click to read? Or if you make a bookshelf of 3 player written books, right click it to pick a book to read? Something like that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Mad Archivist posted:

It's gotta be for testing purposes. Villagers only buy/sell one thing right now, and I know for a fact the GUI is set up to allow for multiple.

Villagers can currently buy or sell multiple things. When interacting with a villager/testificate, click the little arrows at the top, that will scroll through all available transactions for that villager.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Mad Archivist posted:

I've been spawning them in creative, they never have more than one item to buy or sell each.

They start out only having one item. After an indeterminate amount of time, they get some purple particle effects for a second and then they have a second option.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Even after getting my new video card, minecraft would lock up and crash if I tried to play with Far rendering on. I upgraded to a 64bit OS and 64bit Java and Far worked like a dream.

I have a friend running 32bit windows and he's been on Far distance since day 1. Java is a weird beast.

HardDisk posted:

If you have the option, the 360 version is the one to go. Some features are toned down (map sizes) and it's out-of-date compared to the PC version, but it looks like it's the best version overall so far.

I cannot disagree more. The 360 version is unmoddable, has no texture pack support, and you can't use custom server plugins. While it has a "pick up and play" advantage, the 360 version of minecraft is inferior to the PC version in many respects.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

HardDisk posted:

True, but if I had a 360, I could actually play it instead of hoping for some "Minecraft is actually playable now" news.

What do you mean "actually playable"? Minecraft is working fine, the login server is up and running, I was just playing yesterday with no problems.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

HardDisk posted:

If I can get more than 20 fps on Small render distance for more than 10 minutes it'll be a Christmas miracle.

Since 1.0 (since indev, actually), I hope for a patch that makes Minecraft not run like poo poo. I know that a 2009 notebook doesn't help, but I feel that Minecraft shouldn't consume as much resources as it does now.

Seeing the 360 version running smoothly and the PC version running like crap (on my end, at least) makes me want to recommend the 360 version. v:shobon:v

Have you tried Optifine or Optimine? You may be able to get a framerate boost that way.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Okan170 posted:

fill it out with the most amazing content

I dunno, trading, tripwires, the natural temples, editable books, and the (eventual) modding API are all pretty nifty. Maybe you're expecting too much out of what, despite all the money and prestige they've gotten, is still an indie studio.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Okan170 posted:

Probably. I was thinking more of a trickle into a torrent, but, as I've seen, thats expecting way too much out of a small studio, even one as relatively successful as they. Money doesn't actually translate into content.

And to be fair, the actual version numbered updates are BURSTING with content. Its these weekly snapshots that make it seems like such a piecemeal process.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

A shrubbery! posted:

I'm about to head out for a bit, but

1) Do Multiplayer Creative servers work, and if so
2) Is it the same as single Creative i.e everyone can fly and has all the blocks

If those are yes:

Anybody want to make a sweet-rear end Adventure map with me?

Yep, works fine. People can toggle their gamemode at will in the game, so you can test whatever you build under actual Adventure Mode conditions.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Haven't seen this posted yet, but Jeb tweeted earlier that Ender Chests have been modified to be per-player, not per-server, and when you break one it will only drop 8 obsidian pieces, but not the Ender Eye. I assume that this change will roll out in this Thrusday's snapshot.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Of all the things that didn't work after so much time in alpha, beta and release, this is the most inexcusable. Opening a folder location isn't hard on any loving operating system.

Well it works now. No sense holding on to that anger any longer.

So has anyone messed around with the revised Ender Chests yet? How did the whole "per player" thing get implemented?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Heteroy posted:

Despite the sage advice I received telling me not to give Notch money, I have now successfully purchased and installed Minecraft.

Before I start, I was wondering beyond the advice in the op, do I play single player or is it a good idea to find a server right off the bat? Are most players playing multiplayer, or are there a lot that are content to hang out in their private sandbox?

Really just depends on your own personal preference. With the way things have been heading with snapshot updates and whatnot soon you'll be able to share your singleplayer world online, so not being able to show off your creations is soon to be a thing of the past.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Jeb did tweet that today's update would "determine the fate of 1.3". Whatever that means.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Notch tweeted that he is aware of the issue and the web guys are working on it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gorfob posted:

Anyway apparently there has been an authentication breech on the auth servers looking forward to the list of tears about compromised accounts.

According to Notch and Mojang's twitter the problem has been fixed. And apparently it wasn't even an account-compromising issue anyway. It let people log in under someone else's username, but without revealing the password to them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Now I'm just waiting for the inevitable "well we wanted to get the API out for 1.4 but it's getting pushed to 1.5" announcement. I kinda wish they'd take the blizzard/valve approach and just give us the API "when it's done" and quit giving us release dates or target version numbers that they keep missing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ChibiSoma posted:

Well I updated java to the newest version and oh hey look it's still loving crashing and shutting itself down constantly. Walk ten feet -> Internal Server Error -> Restart -> Repeat. And that's just the regular crashes, it's still just closing itself without actually giving me any kind of error message telling me why.

I've never once had a loving server going because it shits itself all the time. And hey, it's doing the exact same thing and I have no loving control over it and thus cannot play at all. Not on my own worlds, anyway. Finished that lovely Criswelvania map with a friend earlier and didn't have a single issue, so it's definitely just the single player aspect.

Not huge on multiplayer worlds because every single one I've been on, poo poo's just gotten griefed to hell sooner or later. I'd rather just sit and build, dammit. And now I can't even do that unless I roll back, where I lose all the new poo poo and thus don't have as much reason to play.

Yeah. This version is great. loving modders.

E: Just loving have an option on world gen to set the world to being 'offline.' Just have it warn that it might gently caress your mods up if you're that god drat uptight over that poo poo. Gimme the option to actually play the game I bought, Jeb.

Just to be sure, are you using the proper version of Java for your OS? I had the same type of issues til I realized I was using the 32bit Java for my 64bit OS.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MikeJF posted:

No, it's an enclosed space vs an open space with a door separating, I think. Not sure if dirt works but everything else seems to.

So if there's a cave near a village and I wall it off and add a door, villagers will live in it?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

As long as I have been playing (since beta 1.8) compasses have always pointed to your original spawn point. The Minecraft wiki mentions nothing about it doing anything else since it was introduced in alpha, and you know it would be in there if it had done anything different.

If it ever worked differently in multiplayer, it was probably down to a server mod.

I've been playing since some point in alpha (pre-Nether) and I can comfirm, compasses have always pointed to your original spawn. Even after beds were introduced, compasses only point to your original spawn point, not whatever you've changed it to with beds.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Internet Kraken posted:

Given that you have to be within 16 blocks of the pyramid, that sounds incredibly useless outside of some dumb gimmicks involving multiple pyramids. At least the light effect looks neat...but why add this of all things to the game? When I think of problems with minecraft, this doesn't really address any of them.

Why does it have to address a problem? Why can't it just be a nifty new addition?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Keep in mind that it's still a Work in Progress. The 16 block radius of effect could just be for testing and the final version will work differently.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

KrautHedge posted:

Is the most recent snapshot stable enough to play on? I really want the new corner stairs.

Played several hours with it with no problems, both single player and hosting a server for my roommate.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

DangerDummy! posted:

Any hints as to when Minecraft Pocket is going to drop?

The Pocket version has been out on iOS and Android for a while now. If you have an iPhone/iPad, its been hanging out in the first page of Top Paid Apps for a while.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Some people just like fedoras. I don't see what the big deal is with notch owning/wearing one is. Like, I can get someone not personally liking the style, but the reaction a lot of the time seems to be to the effect of "oh, there goes that Notch fellow...with his fedora" whilst turning one's nose up.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Fedoras now have roughly the same fashion credibility as those three-wolves-howling-at-the-moon tshirts.

But why does that matter? If someone (me, a middle schooler, Notch, anyone) chooses to wear a fedora, why the instant reaction? Again, I completely understand the fact that some people don't like the look, and everyone is entitled to their own fashion opinion, but the reaction to fedoras, Notch's in particular, seems really out of proportion.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

i like tacos posted:

Yeah I think jeb already stated on his twitter that it won't be out with 1.4. I wonder if they're even touching it.

The API was promised for 1.3, then it got pushed back to 1.4 so 1.3 could be released sooner. Why are they even bothering to give us a target date for it when its obvious that they don't give a poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Any word on when they're going to remove that ridiculous world size limit on the 360 version? I'd love to be able to couch co-op with a buddy on minecraft, but having a tiny world flies in the face of the way minecraft is supposed to work.