Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Shnakepup posted:

Weird...just stumbled into an underground ravine full of floating abandoned mines...

I ran into something very similar; guess when it generates the mines it doesn't really detect other underground stuff.

I'm also noticing a bit of choppiness, not necessarily a bad framerate, because even on lowest settings I still get it, and it wasn't a problem prior to this update. Am I alone, or is this just the update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wheeze posted:

I seem to remember having some kind of wild west set that included pretty distinct revolvers and bows and arrows.

I think there is some degree of non-modern guns (wild-west, ray guns) that sort of fall into a grey area. Wild-West/Cowboys is still fairly kid-friendly falls closer to other fantasy themes like medieval.

That said, I guess it's kinda neat what they did with the Minecraft Lego, but it doesn't seem particularly interesting.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I haven't been keeping up with Minecraft tools- what's available these days for making the overhead maps? Particularly something that works with 13w03a or later.

I'd really love if this game had a better in-game map, the current system is kinda neat, but really clumsy if you're trying to get a bigger picture.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Jamesman posted:

I would really like if they could implement something similar for growing and chopping down trees. No more instantly popping up trees, no more floating logs. Having trees that grow up organically and branch out, and then chopping them down drops a big old mess of logs and leaves on the ground to chop up and carry off.

A friend dragged me into play Tekkit recently and it came with a mod that lets you cut down trees in this sort of way. You need to use an axe, and it will break the block you axe, and all above it (along with the leaves) - it's bloody fantastic and I'm going to be so annoyed when I go back to vanilla.

It's balanced out by the block-breaking taking longer, and causing durability in proportion to the tree you're knocking down. If you don't have enough durability to take the whole tree, It will just take as much as it can and break your axe. Somewhat smartly, it won't recognize just a bunch of logs as a tree, I think there needs to be leaves attached.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I figured as much, I've literally never bothered to touch a mod till I was dragged into playing this modpack. Before I was fine with how minecraft trees worked, but now I wouldn't mind having the treecapitator stuff be part of the base game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Do monsters work different in the Win 10/PE edition for that matter?

Monsters (and creepers in particular) literally appearifying out of thin air despite my best efforts to put torches literally everywhere is infuriating. It feels like the game code can't fathom -not- spawning monsters.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Considering there's no native mod support or modding package system, 30% is a staggeringly high number.

Modpacks - or at least Tekkit - is dead simple now. You download their launcher and it does pretty much all the work for you.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I also hope they tune creeper's stupid "gently caress it, I'm going to blow up anyways" poo poo. Only way I could really deal with creepers was to rush them down because hit-and-backoff is too unreliable.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fuego Fish posted:

I've always thought they should do something more elaborate than the basic "it's dark, spawn poo poo at random" method. At the moment it just feels like a placeholder mechanic that never got replaced.

This is possibly one of the things I find infuriating about the game because I'll put down a million torches around my base and the game will still find the single closest block where it's dark enough and just plop down a whole pile of enemies in perfect sight of me. Also, gently caress creepers spawning on top of trees.

Yet ages ago they changed it so animals spawn once per chunk, so if you want food / supplies you gotta wrangle them up and breed them.

OwlFancier posted:

What are these?

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Regional_difficulty#Regional_difficulty

Basically, as you (or other players) spend more time in an area, an invisible counter ticks up, and the higher it is, the higher chance the game has of spawning more difficult versions of mobs.

E: Region difficulty is weird to me. You think it'd work the other way around, and the longer you spend in an area, the safer it would become.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 20, 2015

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

The design philosophy that earned a man 2 billion dollars. :v:

Honestly it's the vibe I got in particularly the close to release era. He just sorta slapped in The End, Villagers and some other crap that sucked and felt pointless so he could call it a day and call the game released (so he could charge full price.) Although I kinda don't really blame him for wanting to get out.

I think they've done some stuff with villagers over time? I don't know because I just avoid them most of the time outside of pillaging their bookcases because those assholes always want poo poo like 15 emeralds for a piece of bread. Mojang is only finally just now getting around to adding something to the end that seems vaguely worthwhile.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I for one, am not looking forward to being pushed off of/into poo poo again because I forgot to logout when I get up for a drink.
Conversely, I am looking forward to being able to push people around when they go afk.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I don't think minecraft needs to be harder (because that alone isn't interesting), but making different armors have different purposes seems like a cool thing to do.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

What does the hunger system add to the game? What is it for? It doesn't seem like it really does much, and having to constantly be growing/hunting food is just busywork to distract from the more fun busywork of gathering building materials.

Because it wouldn't be a survival mode without tedious busywork mechanics. I'm not really a fan of how it just makes the early game annoying more then it makes it tense or difficult.

I mean, part of me has always liked the idea of having farms in minecraft, and they probably should serve some purpose other then "look pretty" but i kinda wish they acted more as a benefit then an essential.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

There are a lot of things I like about Minecraft but it's kind of a mess of half-finished ideas.

I think the updates leading up to Minecraft's 1.0 release will forever make me cynical about the game. I think that was the period where the most unfinished things got added to the game. poo poo like The End, which is only finally getting a revisit, and Villagers, who I will forever not care about because even after several updates they still don't seem very useful? Also gently caress emeralds.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

For some reason I was certain cauldrons acted as a infinite supply of water for potion bottles once filled, but last I tried they don't? Seems really silly and pointless because it takes less effort to just make an infinite water supply and fill bottles from that then to mess around with a cauldron.

quote:

and that he didn't like that it was so random and didn't comply with the rest of the crafting systems (crafting bench style UI or furnace style UI).

I'm kinda okay with that reasoning, but the potion crafting system we ended up with is really convoluted and unintuitive, and just leads people to look up that dumb wiki graphic/flowchart.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 3, 2015

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Or just not bother at all because none of the potions are powerful enough to make a difference. Enchanted armor is wayyyyy more useful and takes a hell of a lot less effort to create.

That's just the icing on the poo poo cake.

It also reminds me how much I hate that you can get really unlucky with stuff like carrots and melons, and go forever without finding any.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Why are they calling gliders something dumb and not just "gliders"?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

This has been posted before but it really highlights a lot of the problems I have with Minecraft.

Look how dull that is. Especially compared to all the changes they've made in the overworld.
All this time and the underground is still a boring wasteland of nothingness. No cool underground biomes or intricate dungeons to explore. Strongholds are basically just there as portals to the End, running across one by accident is all but impossible, the loot they have is never interesting, and they're not even fun to begin with.
There's a bunch of things like this, too. Jungle/desert temples and ocean monuments are incredibly rare, and then when you find one there's just nothing worthwhile there anyway. Hell I haven't even found a single one of those tiny one-room "dungeons" in my last few maps.

So much of Minecraft feels like half-baked ideas they just never came back to finish. They introduce some new feature and hype up all the promise it has then they just forget about it.

They could just stand to have more variety of blocks underground as well even without adding complex terrain generation stuff. Once upon the time there was sand and they took it out/replaced it with gravel. They could at least throw in sand, clay and maybe some stone variants. Also, for how long the game's been out I'm amazed they haven't added anything new to mine up beyond the pointlessly rare emeralds.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Enzer posted:

Final mob has been shown, "The Hovering Inferno", a larger Blaze enemy for the Nether.

https://twitter.com/Minecraft/status/931160039649431554

As an aside, one of these mobs (though actually I have a feeling that all of these mobs will eventually make there way into the game and what I am hoping is that the vote is merely to push the direction and theme of the next patch) will be introduced in patch 1.14, however I haven't seen anyone mention that Mojang has been doing snapshots for 1.13.

From what I've seen the devs have been swearing up and down the losing designs will be canned. So who knows.

Honestly looking over the descriptions I went from thinking it was lame they weren't just planning on adding them all to think it'd be lame if they added any of them. All but one just sound like they make aspects of the game more annoying while providing nothing in return.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So are they looking at updating combat (again?) for the next update or something? Was kinda curious what they're looking to do next and there's something about a combat snapshot and a new mob vote on the reddit.

Wish they would do transportation update or something. Minecart networks were one of my favorite things of early minecraft thanks to the ridiculous glitch boosters, but basically every attempt to formalize that mechanic has kinda disappointed me. Powered minecarts were useless and awkward, and powered rails are kinda annoying to set up since you need gold.

Like, how the heck is there not a drivable train yet?!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I haven't played much, but the Oceans and Nether updates seemed like the right idea - more world variety, more blocks, more -things.-

Or I certainly thought the Nether was always kinda lacking - it was just sort of a poo poo hole filled with annoying enemies where beds explode because gently caress you. Only a bit later did they turn it into "the place where you need to find a specific structure so you can do alchemy." I always felt mods like nether ores had the right idea of turning it into "dangerous but lucrative."

Always thought it was kind of funny they almost aggressively avoided ever doing the oft-fan requested idea of "The Aether" - but given how useless the Nether was, I guess maybe it was for the better. (Granted they went on to do an even more boring and lame second dimension.)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe a question for the modding thread, but is there any QoL type mods available for 1.17.1? Stuff like inventory sorting, trees-fall-down kinds of stuff?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Could they maybe just fix monster spawning mechanics?

It's very dumb that monsters are spawning in my house because I didn't put down a torch literally everywhere.

Meanwhile peaceful mobs feel like they fall on the total opposite end of the spectrum of having the most ungenerous spawning mechanics.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel zero shame about doing /time set day on my current server with friends.

gently caress creepers, they should burn in the sunlight. It's dumb as poo poo having a hole blown in your lawn because a creeper decided to spawn on top of a tree. Funny that "modifying one block at a time" philosophy doesn't apply to that poo poo. I also love wandering around in day time only to be pelted by an arrow from a skeleton who's been hiding in the shade of a tree for who knows how long.

I'm still cranky I had a dog drown because it decided to get stuck under a block in the water by my dock.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I saw people pointing out that a chicken and pressure plates basically already accomplishes the same goal minus rusting.

I'm glad people have fun with redstone, but like, an entire genre of automation games and mods leaves so much to be desired out of vanilla minecraft for creating basic automated contraptions.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

this is a game that desperately needs more enemy variety, these votes suck butt

I don't trust the devs to make new enemies that aren't the most annoying/worst/unfun things to deal with.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

This reddit post seems to be a summary of stuff:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/q9er9x/minecraft_live_2021_and_mob_vote/hgvf4vi/

Feels funny a cave feature is being pushed back again. :v:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't know about the rest of you but my god the updates for Minecraft Dungeons... hell yeah! Game is fun as hell.

I got the impression it was a fairly ho-hum diablo style game that sort of lacked the variety you normally get in the genre.... that said, if I can have a fox pet I might give it a shot.

E: A way to make clay through mud is neat.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 16, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Boats with chests? Now they're just adding insult to injury on my desires for improvements to minecarts. :mad:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kamrat posted:

Allay seems like the weakest of the three choices but whatever, it's no big deal. :)

Really? It seemed like the closest to useful to me. The Glare is apparently going to be less useful with spawning mechanic changes (enemies only spawn in total darkness) and I really dont get the use case for a copper golem - surely redstone people have already figured out dozens of randomizers?

I do hope they come up with some...useful uses for copper though. I dont know if copper tools make a ton of sense realistically - but I'd love something better the stone, but less valuable then iron or diamond. Maybe copper tools could have better speed and durability then stone, but not be able to acquire better materials?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So this is really bizzare...but this dirt house got like...corrupted?

Like, as a joke I decided to make an exact replica of a friend's dirt house they made when they first got on the server, but a few days later, it seems to just be totally messed up, with a ton of the dirt blocks out of place, and checking server logs, I don't think there's anyone who's snuck on to mess with it. The only clue I have is the named rabbit that was inside was reported as "hitting the ground too hard"

My best guess is endermen went to town or something, but again, it's more like it got corrupted - blocks that made up the walls, ended up inside, and again, the original dirt house has gone seemingly unmolested for over a week.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I was thinkin endermen, but usually they take one block and leave, like they've left plenty of grass blocks all across our base and rooftop, this looks like they just must have gone totally crazy, picking up and dropping blocks immediately.

There isn't really any nearby cliffs for the rabbit to throw itself from, Im thinking what was more likely is a block got placed onto it and it clipped through the world or something.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Also copper is way too abundant while simultaneously never being enough to actually use. There's nothing practical or useful to make with it, and the decorative blocks you can make with it require 9 dang ingots to be dug up and smelted, so if you wanted to make even a tiny copper house or roof or something you'll be hoovering copper all the copper up you ever see. Wish you could just plate a stone block or something in copper rather than make solid cubes of it. You'd probably still have too much copper, but at least you could feasibly build with it. We gonna have to wait till they add tin to make bronze tools aren't we? least let me make copper cauldron!

Yeah, I was feeling this the other day...is there any signs that they're going to add more uses for it in 1.18? Like, how do snapshots typically go, because so far in the 1.18 snapshots there's not in the way of new items.

I said it before, but I think they should add copper tools as an alternative/sidegrade to iron. Won't get you diamonds, but good for digging, or something.

For the time being... I took matters into my own hands. I kinda didn't know what was possible with datapacks, so sadly I dont think I can easily do copper tools, but allowing to convert copper ingots into iron ones was surprisingly easy - I assume it's intentional that datapacks don't exist to be full on modding (like new item and feature creation) but gosh it would be cool if they could make modding as simple in structure as datapacks are.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I found some cool datapacks thanks to the VanillaTweaks site - I didn't realize it was as easy as slapping them on the server and everyone gets them, I thought it was going to be like "okay folks, you need to download x, y and z...."

I made the mistake of trying to find more datapacks on minecraftplanet, where basically every other datapack is a memey "Minecraft, but <thing> happens when you do <action>" and "minecraft, but X is OP"

...like if you're going to make leaves drop diamond armor you could just do /give player diamonds 64 lol

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there any way to capture or bring villagers over from another location, or do I need to cure zombie villagers if I want to set up my own village?

Is there like a rundown of how to do villages/make use of villagers? It's not something i've engaged with before.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

For some reason I assumed they designated a particular bed or location as "home" so dragging them away from that wouldn't work.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I basically did just that. I was pretty lucky with the terrain and didn't have to do much shenanigans. Got two back and have a village started, just need to start ranking them up too.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, the novelty of the rareness of diamonds has long worn off for me, and it causes me to be super reluctant to use diamond tools, which means making everything else far more tedious. I think someone mentioned a page ago or so about nixing the ramping repair cost and I feel like that’d go a long way to help.

Another thing that I think could be cool is named tools would break but not be removed from inventory - they wouldn’t work until you repair.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What dyes have easy/good renewable/farmable sources? And which are just going to require slapping bonemeal down in the right biome?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

is there a good sorting datapack for 1.17? I remember in old modded minecraft I could press a hotkey while at a chest and it'd group everything together/sort things in a predetermined order, as well as auto-stack things.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Khanstant posted:

My kingdom for a consolidated rock block that you can arbitrarily swap between stone/diorite/tuff/andesite/calcite/whateverthefuckothermineralstheyadd
At first I didn't care for andersite, but after noticing the polished version, and the fact it doesn't need smelting, I kinda like it. But like all the none cobblestone stones, you can run out of it quick.

I wonder how hard it would be to make a datapack to add stonecutter recipes that allow for these sorts of conversions.

I find it funny you can turn cobbled deepslate into all its variants at a stone cutter, but cobblestone still needs to be smelted if you want stone to then cut into bricks or whatever. Also, you need to smelt stone a second time to get smooth stone.

Also, while i found a datapack to give the stone cutter wood cutting recipes, I would dig them making an official wood cutter/table saw block.