Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Has anyone else had this problem before? My friend was working on our SMP server and we wanted to make a togglable lava fall as a defense mechanism for our castle gate.

He put a piston that blocked a lava source block on top of the castle wall. When he opened the piston it made the lava fall successfully but then when he turned it off the flow went down a few blocks but then stopped and wouldn't go away. He waited a few minutes to see if it would move but he ended up having to manually destroy all the lava via dirt blocks.

I'm not sure if he used 2 pistons and 2 lava source blocks or just 1 though.

edit: Oops, now he says it does seem to be going away, just verrrrrrrrrrrry slowly. I guess it's not something to turn on lightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
To the guy a few pages back who heard what sounded like mining nearby. My friend found the same thing and then later discovered that's what slimes sound like when they hop around now.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Found kind of a neat seed. Yeah I know, wee mountains but stay with me.

You spawn in a swamp facing some fun spiky mountains:

Yes that is sheep trapped on the side of the mountain:

Then, just a little ways past those mountains is a neat box canyon/pirate cove:

Cove/canyon from above and to the left:

The seed: The Best World

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Bellend Sebastian posted:

Is that the girl from the Flight of the Conchords show? I always found her really cute, if odd.

She's pretty funny whenever she makes an appearance on the Daily Show too.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

trandorian posted:

It should alternate! Day 1 is square sun and moon, day 2 is round sun and moon, repeat forever.

Or maybe having whether the sun/moon is square or round have something to do with weather. Like if the square sun comes up instead of round sun, it's going to rain or thunder that day cycle.

Square sun at morning, miners take warning?

They should go through phases but instead of normal moon-type phases they should cycle between becoming more and less blocky.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Spoggerific posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just showing that sideways logs are going to be in the game, not that trees will fall over when you cut them down. Falling trees would have a lot of problems and probably be too anti-fun for even Mojang to implement. (What if there's no room for the tree to fall? Does it destroy blocks? Does it damage you? If you later build a tower out of logs and cut down the bottom of that, does it count as a tree and fall down?, etc.) Sideways logs would be great for building log cabins.

Being killed by a falling tree would be pretty funny if the game tracked your deaths like in a roguelike.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Hadlock posted:

I like the idea of chopping down a tree, having it fall in the river, then surfing it down to the ocean.

I would kill to see a Minecraft version of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upsZZ2s3xv8

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 26, 2012

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Boat posted:

Man, pigs are going to feel left out. They'd be the only "food only" friendly mob left. Everybody else is some gee-whiz utility mob now.

Make them drop pig fat that you can combine with your shoes so you can ski or slide down hills. Get on it Jeb!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I just got this update from the windows blog and noticed something a bit odd given that Notch has said he would not be making minecraft work in the Windows app market. Does he have any plans to make it work on the windows phone OS though?

http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/wpdev/archive/2012/11/09/increase-monetization-by-adding-in-app-purchase-to-your-apps.aspx

Look familiar?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

HelixFox posted:

I could really go with them sounding like the Goldblums in 30 Flights of Loving: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPTzlipcbss

Or the Malkovich's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Fuxkinhug

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Blasphemeral posted:

Seriously? That sounds :krad:!

I've always wondered why no one has yet made a game that takes heart rate as an input and uses it somehow.

[edit] Like, if it were a Gurren Lagann game, your spiral energy would increase with heart rate. Or if it were a survival-horror, your screen/aim would jitter more with a high heart rate.

After all, they already have the heart-rate peripheral for those workout "games" for the Wii.

... Though, if it were competitive multiplayer, I suppose it would just lead to the munchkins buying pulse simulators to min/max; so maybe it's for the best. :-/

Tying heart rate to gameplay seems like it could be at the very least frustrating and at the worst dangerous. You can't really passively control your heart rate so having it affect gameplay would be super annoying. "Oops I just ran to get the phone now I have to wait for my heart to slow back down so I can aim again" or "Oh this scary game is making my heart race, better pause ever 5 seconds to break the atmosphere and keep my heart rate nice and low". Or on the opposite end if some game were to be dumb enough to tie something advantageous in the game to a high heart rate I can just see the devs getting sued by someone who gets a heart attack because they were trying to do better in the game.

edit: In other words, I'm sure :notch: will be all over it

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

And it's also still much more expensive. And this isn't the thread at all to have this conversation.

The new biomes are looking interesting. More variation is a great thing. things I hope for with the terrain update that I don't expect to have happen: Different biomes with different base ground levels than 64. Like high elevation alpine biomes with truly large peaks. Different water levels based on the terrain height, so not every river is a deep valley or canyon, not every lake is in the bottom of a crater. I'd like to see rivers create waterfalls when going down cliffs or similar thing. An issue with that would be that there is that rainfall and rivers are not really simulated so you'd see really illogical changes in water levels but eh, it's Minecraft, nothing is supposed to make sense. And something I really don't expect to see this update but hopefully will in a later one is more biome-specific monsters. More mob variety would be a great thing, and I think biome-specific ones would be a great way to differentiate them. Yetis in tundra/alpine areas, golems in that rocky cliff biome, etc. These aren't particularly creative examples but you get the idea.

That would be awesome to very rarely come across a super high Lost World style plateau filled with crazy animals.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Schwarzwald posted:

It would be extremely awesome the first time, but after you've built a house near by and begin walking past it a few times it might lose it's charm.

Sometimes I feel this game makes the fantastic too routine.

I'd like to see it as rare like finding mushroom biomes or something. But also quite large so if you lived on the planes it could take up an entire horizon in the distance.

I guess it might even have to be more rare than a mushroom biome since it would be so large and prominent.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Launched on April 14, 2004, the GeForce 6xxx family was the first line of Nvidia cards to support opengl 2.1.

I imagine that ATI support probably came in around the same time though I suspect intel cards probably added it a fair bit later than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
If you use gmail you can add dots in the user part of the email and gmail doesn't care.

e.g. roundboy@gmail.com is the same as round.boy@gmail.com is the same as r.o.u.n.d.b.o.y@gmail.com.

Also, I don't know if minecraft allows this but gmail (and probably other email providers now) allows you to use the plus sign after the user to add whatever you want.

e.g. roundboy+whateverjunkhere@gmail.com will still come to your roundboy@gmail.com account