Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
I'm an unwashed heathen who plays with a Wii Classic Controller. For me, the worst part about 1.8 is dash being a doubletap. I hate doing that with analog sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Jelly posted:

Does minecraft have gamepad support? I wouldn't mind trying it with a 360 controller.
I use Joy2Key with a profile specifically for mapping the classic controller buttons to Minecraft keyboard/mouse controls.

Edit: I recommend putting jump, crouch, attack, and place block to the shoulder buttons. Those are what you'll want to use most with both thumbs on the sticks.

Tobaccrow fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 8, 2011

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

YOURFRIEND posted:

I understand you're trying to imply that I don't read the thread, and you're correct. However my questions didn't show up in the last couple of pages, and they aren't in the OP, and expecting me to read 80+ pages of people posting about their favorite seeds is demanding a lot and it's not going to happen. Rather, you can get over it and answer my question, or ignore my post and not respond at all. Either way, the content of the thread is improved.
He ninja-edited his post. He originally said snow biomes were coming back in 1.9

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Q_res posted:

Are the Minecraft servers down or something? I haven't been able to log-in yesterday or today.
Have you re-downloaded the Minecraft client recently? You probably need to do that.

Bash Ironfist posted:

So you...get stew from a mushroom cow. :catstare:

Notch has gone mad.

Assuming he came up with it on his own... :tinfoil:

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

As long as we're posting people screaming at creepers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p7_PrNhkgo

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

There should be an animal crate tool that makes animals portable/storable as inventory items. How does putting a cow in a big wooden crate make it possible to carry 64 of them one-handed? Who cares. Makes more sense than working with eggs. Recipe could be something like a chest with iron bars in the middle.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

King Crab posted:

Honestly, the best thing that notch could put in would be being able to put your maps on the wall. I'd love to be able to compose a map of the world.

I've wanted wall-mountable clocks or a grandfather clock for the longest time. The game needs more home furnishings in general. I keep going to build mansions, then running out of things to do with rooms.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

So, different coloured glass blocks (or stained glass, if you prefer) potentially?

Hell, the ability to just throw dye on whatever poo poo you want to change the colour would be kind of whack.

At the very least, I hope they make dyes usable on wood planks so I can make some nicer-looking houses.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Build a "frame" before going through the effort of filling in the walls. It will save time and help you decide if a room needs to be larger/smaller, or if the walls should be an even or odd number of blocks in length.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

CJacobs posted:

People keep going "YES FINALLY I AM SO GLAD NOTCH QUIT HAHAHA"

But, uh. You haven't wanted that ever until the Yogscast thing. I haven't heard a single person praying to the powers that be that Notch stop working on Minecraft.

Most people probably haven't said that because they didn't want to poo poo up the thread with pointless game featu-- I mean.. whining.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

I think it would be cool if Endermen were more dangerous and spawned in groups, but limited their terrain-scrambling to a small area around their spawn. They would spawn rarely in the world, but continue to do so in the same spot every night until you kill them. During the day, you'd just see a bunch of disorganized blocks and think "I better steer clear of here at night..."

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Iacen posted:

But for what? For Minecraft or for another project. Because I'm not sure I will be able to sum up any enthusiasm for a new Mojang game.
Watch it be Minecraft 2.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Jamesman posted:

I was building on the water, and I hosed up, and now I've got some underwater currents going on. The sound of running water going constantly.

I managed to find a few of them and stop them, but I still hear more and can't find them. Is there either an easy way to locate these noisy bastards, or at least a non-intrusive construction to guarantee that I'll fix them?

Install Optifine and turn on clear waters so you can see better?

Edit: Actually, MCEdit might be helpful. You could probably use the fill tool on the lake to turn the water source blocks into moving water, then turn use the tool again to make it all source blocks (including the moving water you can't find). I'm not 100% sure the fill tool works that way though, and I can't check because MCEdit won't open right now for some reason...

Tobaccrow fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 7, 2012

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

HardDisk posted:

You can change a file named char.png inside the jar and it will reskin your char, but only you can see it IIRC.
It'll also make anyone/anything using the default skin look like you.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

And don't use the links in the e-mail you got just in case it's somehow a very convincing phishing scheme.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

criscodisco posted:

Is this the same TestCraft map everyone else is using?

If so, where's the village? I've looked all over and can't find it.
Are you using the same mods (or lack thereof) as other people? That could be affecting your terrain generation.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Trivia posted:

Though it is pretty stupid that you have to do other things while you're playing a game in order to play the game.

Except you don't? You can get by just fine in Normal difficulty only ever using un-enchanted iron equipment. I don't know about Hard/Hardcore, but I think building a farm to abuse game mechanics for infinite/free items and XP without danger isn't really in the spirit of opting for more challenging gameplay. But to each his own.

I see enchanting as like a small reward for playing a long time and braving the tougher monsters. It's not something you really have to put deliberate effort towards (though dashing around the plains at night and killing all the monsters can be fun).

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Can't wait to get my hands on Ye Olde Goone Adventures.

What a loving bizarre concept. Commercial licensed game made about Youtube superstars. This is honestly really surreal.

The game itself sounds like the typical "ideas man" nerd wishlist. I'm pretty skeptical of how it will turn out, even as a fan of the Yogscast in general.
I can't imagine it panning out any more smoothly than the Penny Arcade game did.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

I have only one cat, and it drives me insane with its meowing every 3 seconds without fail. I'm tempted to go to the trouble of modding it so all of the cat sounds except one are silence.

Vargs posted:

So I've been playing Minecraft again recently after taking a few months break, and I've been having some issues. My framerate is completely fine no matter what settings I run at (other than the extremely long draw distance options), but the game very often stutters for a split second when placing or removing blocks. Kind of reminds me of the on-hit frame freeze sort of thing many action games use, except it's super lovely here because my mouse registers as still holding click during that time and I'm constantly dropping double torches/blocks/saplings.

Worked perfectly fine on this exact same PC awhile back. I tried loving around with all sorts of video options and installing optifine, but neither helped. Anyone happen to know what's up?
I've had the same problem for a while now and the only answers I've seen online are "Use a wired mouse" (already using a wired gamepad) and "Buy a better computer" (idiotic answer).

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Is anyone compiling a playlist? I'm not to concerned about "proper viewing order".
Edit: Me dumb.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Here's the requirements for a village house from the wiki:
  • Must have a solid roof (something that blocks skylight)
  • Must have a door
  • Must be made of non-naturally generated blocks.
  • the natural blocks are: air, stone, grass, dirt, bedrock, water, lava, sand, gravel , any ores, logs, leaves, sandstone, tall grass, dead bush, flowers, mushrooms, snow tiles, ice, cactus, clay, sugarcane, pumpkin, huge mushrooms, vines, mycelium, lily pad, end portal frame.
Don't know how accurate that is though. I'm pretty sure I've had testificates live in houses made from giant red mushrooms.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

I just want a deer or something. A source of meat that doesn't require fishing/farming/breeding, a ton of luck, or generating more world to not run out of.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Esme posted:

From Jeb's Twitter:

Is this... a rudimentary buying and selling interface? Testificates might actually do something in the future! :aaaaa:
Ah poo poo. Is that a new ore block in the upper right? Guess I won't be seeing many of those on my current world, but if they just give you coins, I guess it's not so bad. I can just sell things to get money.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Jamesman posted:

Looking at the list of what you can buy and sell at villages now, the current values are pretty messed up. It's basically "sell all your unwanted garbage in mass quantities for 1 emerald each, buy things you could have just made instead for large numbers of emeralds with no rhyme or reason behind inflation values." Although I appreciate being able to buy experience potions, I guess.

I hope they adjust it a bit before 1.3 comes out.
Think the update notes said something about it being balanced later. Glad rotten flesh now has a purpose for me (I don't keep dogs and I'm swimming in non-crappy food). I just wish farmers would buy seeds. That's another item I'm always throwing away in stacks.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Jamesman posted:

Needing leather to create books is certainly going to make enchanting even more stupid and annoying than it already is, if you don't already have a full library or you start a new game.
I actually find myself making use of level 1 enchants the most. Spending numerous levels on armor feels wasteful (especially when non-enchanted iron armor makes you virtually unkillable by hostile mobs as long as you stay full). Same for iron tools. Level 1 can get you Efficiency I or Unbreakable I which are both nice enough for an expendable tool.

Edit:

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Because sometimes you don't have time to wall yourself in? Sometimes there's a doorbell, or an important phone call, an oven timer, or any other number of things. It's a needless addition of complexity to the single player experience.
It takes half a second to click "save and quit". When you come back, It will be on the title screen and take maybe 5 seconds to get back into your game.

Tobaccrow fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 25, 2012

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Bluemillion posted:

Solution: Build two castles.

Then connect them via sky-bridge to have one super awesome castle.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

I made a 3x3x3 room with a floor of soulsand now that netherwart grows in the overworld. I was able to enter, but unable to exit through the 1x2 stone doorway because the soulsand made me slightly taller. I assume this is a glitch?

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

I'd be more on board if beacons also kept things from spawning, and not just by giving off light. I want to bury a bunch of them around my property so I don't have to fill the landscape with strategically placed (often awkward-looking) walls, fences and light sources.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Hopefully, the frames use a unique texture so I can opt to make them invisible in texture packs. Also, I'll need to make a clock sprite that will look good mounted on the wall. I'm excited though. I've wanted a clock I could place in my house since the game hit beta.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Iacen posted:

What is that? Can I make a superflat world out of TNT and redstone or what does it mean?
In that screenshot, the flat world generated from bottom to top will be 1 layer of bedrock, 20 layers of stone, 6 layers of dirt, 1 layer of grass, 1 layer of redstone torches, then 4 layers of TNT. The bottom layer of TNT would be ignited the moment you step into the world.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Trivia posted:

Also, get a high tier helmet enchantment to increase your time underwater, as well as your mining speed.
Use gold helmets to achieve this. Higher enchantability and just as protective as iron helms, but less durable.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

They should be more common for killing something with an axe.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

People at Mojang's PAX Prime booth last weekend were wearing fedoras. It took me a minute to notice it because lots of nerds wear fedoras anyway. It's kind of silly that they act like Notch's fedora-wearing is something unique or that you would see a fedora and immediately associate it with Notch.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Jamesman posted:

Hey whoever made the empty promise to make the mods out of the ideas I come up with, here's two more for you;

-Make chiseled stone craftable so it's not the rarest item in the game world for literally no reason.
-Make smooth stairs.

In fact...

-Make stairs craftable out of every type of block.

Pretty sure there's always been dozens of mods that already do those things or get pretty close.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

sfwarlock posted:

I've been exploring the gently caress out of those all night trying to find a village to fortify and enslave defend. No luck. Anyone have a seed with a nearby plains village of a reasonable size?
Seed: Snow plz

The three brown pixels on the bottom left is a desert village. A little up, and to the mid-right: those brown dots on the green island are a semi-secluded plains village.

You spawn about where the player marker is on a snowy island. On the top left of it, there's a nice flat spot to build and an entrance to a small cave though you may find your way to a much larger cave system when you dig out the iron.

Tobaccrow fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 25, 2012

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

What Mojang ought to do is get Minecraft finished/stable/efficient as they can, then release the modding API to hold people over while they cut Minecraft support to focus on making Minecraft 2: This Time with Good Coding, Lots of Paid Talent, and a Plan Behind it From the Start

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Laser Spider posted:

The most I can imagine is that they'll be launched from a special dispenser that takes gunpowder and other ingredients in various amounts.
Hopefully it won't be complicated to make or use. They could be useful as a signal flare.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Shadowmorn posted:

:lol: But i thought fire was a placeable item? How did that work exactly?

I'm guessing he accidentally killed himself with it when he tried using it 3 minutes later.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

In the past, an hour of spelunking in Minecraft has made my eyes bloodshot from straining them against the darkness and low-res textures. I fear playing this would actually make me go blind...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Can you still do the torch-gravel trick? For anyone who doesn't know, you have to place a torch down immediately after digging out a block of gravel, and then the rest of the gravel will fall onto the torch and become items very quickly.

That, or get a super-shovel or something.

That doesn't produce flint. You need to dig manually.