Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Republicanus posted:

I quite enjoy the Vech's "Race for Wool" map competition. It's a team-based PVP race.

The race starts at 11:34 - the earlier part is just pre-game babble.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cyS8Vbj0_Q

Thanks for posting this, I just watched all three parts and it was excellent. I love seeing the different directions that the community has taken this game in, in some ways it is more interesting than playing at times. (Man I need a computing that can run it at without crippling lag.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

kas posted:

:wooper: PAINTERLY PACK UPDATE :wooper:

I've only ever dabbled in a little vanilla Minecraft because a) my computer sucks and b) I'm sort of waiting for a stable final release before getting too involved in building a world. I checked out Painterly recently after lurking this thread for a while, and I swear I lost over an hour of my life just looking down the list and agonising over which of the million options I would like to try out. And now there are more?

Holy poo poo dude, it's people like you that make me remember what I miss by being a console gamer. Great job.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Boat posted:

Tee hee, camera angels. :angel:

:siren::siren::siren: MAC USERS! :siren::siren::siren:

Thanks to the 1.9 prerelease kindly telling you in the display options, I found that Minecraft uses 32bit Java by default. This post tells you how to set it so that it uses your 64bit Java, if you have it.

MASSIVE improvement in rendering times/speed/everything.

Thanks for this, my Mac needs all the help it can get running this game.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

PalmTreeFun posted:

I think dirt actually slowly untills itself if it isn't watered now. Which means you lose your wheat. It definitely stays tilled long enough to easily use bonemeal on the wheat before it gets popped off the ground though.

And a helpful detail: every block of water waters 4 blocks out in each direction in a square around it. So if you make a 1x1 hole of water in the middle of a 9x9 grid of tilled land, it will all turn wet. :eng101:

That is a helpful detail, thanks for that.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I'm amazed that the release version of the game still contains almost zero help and guidance for new players. Would it really have been a big job just to expand that achievement list out a bit? Or put in a recipe book that shows all the things you can make in the game? (Perhaps not listing the ingredients until you actually find your first piece of that raw material.)

It's kind of ridiculous that the achievements jump right from finding iron to travelling 1km by rail. I don't know about you, but I certainly see a few extra steps happening between those two things.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Hey Boat, the link to your MaximumMinecraft thing in the OP is broken. I had to use the one in your forum signature.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Rock Paper Shotgun just named Minecraft their game of the year.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
The latest from Notch is that the Mojang website and Minecraft stuff will all be closed on the 18th for a day as a protest against SOPA. Originally the plan was to have Minecraft be free to play for the day, then Rock Paper Shotgun said it might be seen as self promotion so this is plan B.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Slickdrac posted:

In protesting of removal of rights, they are going to remove ability (right) to play online?

Makes sense

To be fair, that is kind of the point of the SOPA protests. A "Hey, this is what life could be like under that poo poo" warning shot.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I can't understand why there isn't something as simple as different arrow materials in the game. Iron arrows that do bonus damage, diamond-tipped arrows for potential one-hit kills if you are willing to invest in them. Gold tipped arrows could do bonus damage to Endermen. Anything to make combat a bit more interesting and to make exotic ores more useful.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

lordfrikk posted:

I am not native speaker but this sounds to me like it could be up there on the list with the rest, heh. Also, aren't chips and fries something slightly different? I heard chips are basically short fries, whether the latter are a tad longer.

No, fries are nearly always thinner, but proper chips can be just as long. Longer ever, as their extra thickness means you can use the full length of the spud.

Proper chips are so much better than fries anyway. Especially home cooked ones. gently caress, now I'm hungry ...

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

I've probably told this story before but one day I got back from the chippy only to find the king of chips nestling under my haddock - it measured 11 inches, I'm not joking. It was the best chip.

You lucky bastard. You lucky, lucky bastard. Those others might not understand, but I do. I envy your good fortune.

You Americans need to also appreciate the sheer artery-clogging beauty of a chip butty. Thick slice of bread slathered in butter (decent malty bread rolls are best, French bread a close second). Stuff into it as many chips as you can. I like to add some baked beans which are the only worthy accompaniment to chips. Smother the whole lot in half a gallon of malt vinegar and salt. As you eat it, you get melted butter, vinegar, chip grease, bean juice, all running down your wrist. It's the best drat thing. The best.

And derail. And I'm still drat hungry.

Did anyone see the screens that the Mojang dude tweeted about the Xbox version? Showed the crafting screen, which was basically a menu of all the items in the game, and it shows you what items you need to craft it. If you have them, you can make one. Seems like a really good way to do it, makes it a recipe book so you don't need to check a bloody wiki, and avoids fannying around dragging items into crafting slots. I approve.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't have access to Twitter at work, mind reposting them here?

Try this link. Can't grab the image myself as I'm not on my main computer. Page through the pics on this page if the link works. (Hopefully it does, the Xbox site always crashes mobile safari because of the million redirects it creates.)

marketplace.xbox.com/252fsv-SE/252fProduct/252fMinecraft/252f66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584111f7&lc=1053&id=66262

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
At the very least, mobs dropping rare items is a good start. It gives some slight extra purpose to exploration in that you can see a cave, and it might be worth popping in to kill some stuff to see if they drop anything.

Once it's in place and working well, it could be expanded that mobs drop better loot the deeper into the ground you go for example. Or different mobs could have extremely rare chances of dropping worthwhile stuff. 1/1000 chance that a cave spider drops a diamond or something.

Exploring caves is the thing that most needs to be made more interesting. Right now every single one of them, no matter how alluring they are, only really offers a chance to find the same few ores and the same few monsters. Getting some sweet loot in the deeper caves would instantly make spelunking a much more exciting thing to do.

Jeb's okay. People stop hating on Jeb.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I had a little slightly tipsy snooze earlier and I dreamed of space Minecraft, so thanks for that. In my dream, blocks were slightly faster to mine when hit from the sides, the top and bottom were a little bit harder. I don't know why, but that seemed like a really good idea in my dream.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

bbcisdabomb posted:

I want to mine out the sun.

You know, instead of finding a portal to the end, gathering the resources to build a rocket to the moon would be a much more compelling endgame target.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Eggie posted:

The zombie siege was fun. Glitchy, but fun. I did my best to secure the villagers while zombies ravaged their doors, but one house had poor lighting and skeletons spawned inside it. I had to protect three households full of mindless villagers. It doesn't help the village spawned awkwardly, with doors out of reach from the ground. In the end, I only saved one villager. I'm not quite sure what went wrong, but one of them left the house and ran into the night. Also, I broke a window and jumped from a tower onto a roof. It was cool.

This sounds amazing. Jeb really is the best thing to have happened to this game.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
As this rate, the thread will end up getting gassed.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
The strength of Minecraft comes from the huge blocks that make up the landscape though. The basic idea of hit blocks, remove blocks, and place blocks is so simple and easy to understand that it becomes accessible to everyone. Yes it still needs some kind of tutorials and documentation as expecting people to check a wiki is retarded, but I've been able to show this game to kids and even they pick up on the idea of how to change and interact with the world.

That Blockscape looks gorgeous, and is likely wonderful for creative style building, but in terms of digging and mining and changing the existing world I honestly have no idea how that would work. The angles and the odd shapes are pretty, but if I were to start digging what shape hole would I make? Notch is a bit of a dick, but he nailed the basics of how a totally rearrangeable world should be. The uniform size of the blocks is key for making the initial world accessible and understandable.

I saw a mod on on the Yogscast videos that allowed for blocks to be chopped into smaller and smaller pieces for decoration purposes. That looked like a really good way to take things. Keep the world uniform, but allow for players to make smaller pieces (with the right equipment) to put on top of it just to look cool.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
The latest news on the Xbox 360 version is that it will have 4 player split screen, and 8 player online. Also, you can mix and match between the two so you could have 4 people playing on one console building in the same world as 4 people on another console. That's actually pretty cool. Along with the stuff about having built in crafting recipes and such it seems like the console port is being produced with a fairly high degree of professionalism.

Considering how terribly Minecraft runs on my ancient MacBook, I may end up getting the 360 version.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Iacen posted:

If the Xbox edition can 1) use custom texture packs, 2) use Creative and 3) share levels with the regular version, I'm getting it.

Texture packs might not happen, but I wish the other things might happen.
(Not bloody likely)

They said their priorities are skins, then texture packs, then mods. In all cases these would have to be an Xbox specific solution but they said they understand how important these things are.

They also said they had been asked repeatedly about compatibility with existing Minecraft worlds but right now that has been ruled out as the Xbox edition is going to be a few versions behind the main game so that is causing issues. Whether or not that will change is something for the future.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Is there a source or an interview where all of this was mentioned? It's not that I don't believe you, I just want to read info about the 360 version :allears:

Yeah sorry for not including the link (I understand that was kind of discourteous of me), but I bounced into it via Twitter and then couldn't find it again later. I did just find this new video clip though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fIkc0st34Y&feature=youtu.be

First 2 minutes are about Xbox Minecraft and shows the split screen.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Despite the lack of mods/textures etc, I have high hopes for the Xbox version as far as vanilla Minecraft is concerned. In one earlier interview (and I again apologise for going only from memory here) the Dev in charge of the conversion basically stated outright that it could not be allowed to run like poo poo in the way that the PC version does. Immediately that got my interest as there was no attempt to softsoap the incredibly piss poor performance most people see, and a seeming desire to correct that for the version he was in charge of. Adding in stuff like tutorials and full crafting recipes so that a wiki isn't needed also seems to be an almost deliberate way of saying "screw you Notch the game can be better".

gently caress it, I'll just be happy for a version of Minecraft that is actually playable. I'll miss the new additions that have been made, until the game gets that all patched in, but having a controller and a big TV and a framerate that can be measured in double digits and I'll throw my money at them.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Polo-Rican posted:

Indie smash hit Minecraft will mine its way to Xbox 360 on May 9, Microsoft's Major Nelson said today on his blog. It will be 1600 Microsoft Points, or a whopping $20.

That's like the most expensive game on the entire marketplace!!!

I loving knew they would do this. For reference, all downloadable XBLA games top out at 1,200 points, it is only games on demand that break that limit. Mojang are really milking this one.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
It's almost incomprehensible that a game has gunpowder in it, but no guns. Really, just sword and bow? Not any other options at all? Seems so half-arsed.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Would it be possible to make it so that over time, the hardcore game world got a little bit smaller? Say it starts off at 2,000 x 2,000 but then every 30 minutes it lost say 20 blocks from each side? Coupled with a removal of name tags, that could make for a really interesting last man standing situation where over time you were more and more likely to encounter other players simply because everyone would eventually be funnelled towards the middle.

I could see some interesting strategies coming from that, from players who want to fortify and occupy the middle as soon as possible, versus those that want to gather all they can from the outer edges before steamrolling the other players.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Jam, those pictures are great. Amazing to see how much progress you have made, nice work.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
May 9th's XBLA release can't get here fast enough, trying to play Minecraft on my 2007 MacBook at 3 fps makes me want to cry.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
It seems kind of odd that they are going to be charging a new upper end XBLA price for the Minecraft port when the version they are going to be releasing is from way back in beta. You know, when the price was discounted for actually being a beta product. I probably sound like a cheap bastard, but there's an argument that perhaps 1200 MS points would have been a fairer price until it actually caught up with at least the features of 1.0.

Buying it anyway though, because eh.

Man, it's going to be like going back in time though. Watched some let's play footage of someone on a hacked 360 version and it's almost startling to think about so many basic things that have changed since the 1.6.6 that this is being based upon. No sprinting, food that doesn't stack, no pistons, no hunger bar or animal breeding, food being used as instant health potions.

I know there are often a lot of grumblings about various aspects of what was added to the game, sometimes with good reason *cough* the ending *cough* but seeing how much isn't going to be available at the start of vanilla Xbox Minecraft it's really going to feel like a totally different game for a while. But at least it'll be playable, unlike my current lovely laptop option.

11 more days and I'm there, got the points bought and set aside for it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Not sure if it will change from the leaked versions, but I noticed in the videos that the lighting model looks to be a little odd. I guess it's based on the older version, but certainly the light propagation is really weird. I noticed that when blocks were broken that the particles flaking off were totally black.

I'll be down for some online hole-digging and bad cobblestone house building when it goes live. We should see about getting some release day adventures going and test the 8 player multi. I'm ParkingtigersX on Live if anyone here wants to get into it.

I'm looking forward to the pubbie rage when it is released. The comments when they announced the release date were all whining and bitching about how the game was already finished and that Microsoft was only holding it back for an extra month to make more money. Now I'm certain it's going to be tears about it not being comparable to 1.2 and gently caress you Microsoft for releasing it unfinished.

Consider the average member of the Minecraft community. Then consider the average Xbox Live member. We might be about to witness the breeding of new strain of awfulness never seen before.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Jamesman posted:

Is there a way to make Minecraft not pause itself when you tab out of it into another window?

I think someone said that if you open a chest that the game will keep running if you tab out.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

That's planned for down the road, but right now, no.

Also :toot: you start with a map!

A map is a brilliant idea for Xbox as there is no F3 to show spawn coordinates. Shoving a map in from the start is a very elegant (and I'd say better) way of handling things. This port looks like it has been really well handled.

It's ridiculous, I have all these other games to play, but right now Xbox Minecraft is really making me drool. Being able to lie in bed with a wireless controller playing lag-free Minecraft. Oh this is going to be heaven.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
In case anyone is interested, Giant Bomb have a quick look of the Xbox edition up:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-minecraft-xbox-360-edition/17-5953/

Edit: It's a horrible and unentertaining QL, only worth it to check the buttery smooth performance of the game.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 7, 2012

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Polo-Rican posted:

The Verge has a review up: 7/10. A totally fair score in my opinion, especially considering the price point.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/5/7/3003414/minecraft-xbox-360-edition-xbla-review

edit:
Oh God the xbox version uses the terrible pitch-shifted "OOh" pain sound effect

A solid 25% of that review is complaining about information being given to the player rather than them having to work it out for themselves. As if anyone actually did that, rather than just wiki everything.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
My biggest worry, and one that that I haven't seen addressed anywhere yet, is if the Xbox version will have the same issues of world generation when they update it. As in, will worlds need to be started over when they get to the 1.8 beta stuff, or when they get to 1.2 with jungles and such.

I basically just want to know how invested I should or shouldn't get in my Minecraft world for now. I'd be happy to just potter about with small projects while waiting for the big "you're safe from now on" update, but with everything on Xbox needing to be built legitimately, larger projects would be heartbreaking to abandon.

I'm guessing that 4J, being better coders than Mojang, would probably make it seamless. But this is Minecraft and anything is possible. If anyone spots any public comment on this, please let me know. With lag-free play almost at my fingertips, my inner sperg is planning all sorts of stuff to build. With luck, I should totally avoid all sunlight this summer.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Oh. The Minecraft world's on Xbox can't really be that small can they? That has to improve. It's ... it's loving tiny.

All of a sudden that 1,600 funbucks is really starting to look like a raw deal.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Quick trip report on Xbox Minecraft. I've only played through the tutorial so far (but already got half the game's achievements), but it feels very solid. Graphically it's very glossy. Still the same crappy textures we know and love, but low resolution art assets have never looked so high res. Menu text is a bit small and scratchy though.

The controller works really well, and there are 3 default layouts but no option to remap the buttons as yet, and no option to turn off the context sensitive button prompts. Feels really nice wandering around with twin sticks though, and it's really much more comfortable than keyboard and mouse.

Even in the tutorial the world size already looks pretty small. I took a quick walk through a village, then a short mine cart ride, and already I'm halfway towards the edge of the map. Even just saving out of the tutorial took a good 30 - 60 seconds though, and I barely moved a few blocks around. I guess they'd need to sort out a bunch of stuff under the hood before boosting world size.

Anyway, I'm going to go and sperg out digging holes for a few hours. First impressions of the port, world size notwithstanding, are good. Rock solid, buttery smooth, very pretty (well, you know, for what it is), and decent controls.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Awesome Andy posted:

Is there a Seperate thread for xbox?
if not my tag is PuppetpalhoneyB, I like to make stuff and chill out.

The Xbox spergcraft thread is this way. Come join us:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483808

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Enzer posted:

I really can't see much talk going on in the xbox thread since that version of the game is way outdated, you can't post screenshots of your builds unless you have spent money on a capture device or are taking lovely cell phone pictures and the only confirmation we've gotten for an update is late Summer and if you want to get any other info you are better off following the xbox developers. Most of the talk in the xbox thread is from people who have never played minecraft before.:

The Xbox Minecraft thread is kind of sweet actually. It's got a lot of new Minecraft players in it, so it's a newbie 101 thread. The new players aren't burnt out and jaded on the entire game, so it's got some of that freshness and excitement that everyone here felt when they first played. Most importantly of all, because you can invite other people into your world on the Xbox, it's a very social thread as we all making new friends and diving into each other's worlds to see what has been built.

I'm loving the Xbox version, and jumping in an out of each other's games is just the best thing. I know that whatever I make, at some point I can show it off to people by actually having them come in and walk around it rather than just showing them pictures. It's all kinds of wonderful, despite some limitations in other areas. One of my new mates joined my world for a bit of a nose around, and we ended up spending a happy hour building a natural looking river and lake outside my valley fortress on the old gargamel seed. Good times.

Edit: And yes, you can grab screenshots from Xbox so long as you don't mind posting them to a Facebook account. (I have a zombie account I keep for emergencies like this.)

This is what I've been up to, this is my fake river and lake. All the water in this picture was placed by hand.

Here's how it looks from up on one of my observation decks:

Made it so it looks like the river split in two flowing around a small islet, before forming a lake at the base of a giant waterfall. I think it looks super cool.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
4J have a history of making really good ports, and the game couldn't have been in better hands. There are some limitations, such as world size, but I blame the Xbox for that not 4J. We're getting the update to 1.7.3 very soon, and they are on record as wanting to add in a bunch of extra features, possibly even some Xbox specific stuff.

It's to their credit that some of the stuff in the Xbox version is preferable to the PC. Crafting, gamepad, splitscreen, tutorial and tooltips. I'm delighted with my purchase. It even has leaderboards that keep a spergy statfest of number of blocks of each type mined, distance travelled by different means, mobs killed, items farmed etc. They have packed this with lots of little goodies on top of just porting over the code.

4J are officially Good People in my book.