Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Looks like villagers trade for two different items: one they'll sell for emeralds, and one they'll buy for emeralds.

Buckets also stack to 16. Hopefully signs will follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
That creative mode UI looks to have heavily cribbed from the Xbox interface, which will be working on something similar for when it gets 1.8.

In other news, Jeb just tweeted that "another griefed translation" made it through. You'd think they'd have learned by now. Fucksake.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Enzer posted:

Can you even pause in the 360 version now?

Nope. It doesn't even pause if the batteries in your controller runs out of juice, or if you hit the big metal clitoris to go to the Xbox menu. Both of these things (I think) are usually hard rules set by Microsoft, so this game really did get a lot of passes on that score.

That said, the drop-in drop-out play on Xbox has been the best drat thing. Can't praise it enough.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Jamesman posted:

Needing leather to create books is certainly going to make enchanting even more stupid and annoying than it already is, if you don't already have a full library or you start a new game.

Yeah, because you were using all that leather to make armour, right?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Jamesman posted:

I have zero leather in my current game because the number of cows I've seen can be counted on one hand. I'd have to start breeding them or set out quite a distance to hunt for more.

Fair enough. Though it does sound like a case of you not having any leather because you've never taken any real action to go about gathering leather.

I guess I assumed that anyone who is actually interested in stuff like enchanting would actually enjoy the journey towards getting to that position in the game. Clearly your mileage does indeed vary. Villager trading will probably be more up your alley then. By the time you reach a point you could actually use a max level enchant you'd have to have something in your inventory that helps you either make or buy books in the quantity you need.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Okan170 posted:

The xbox 360's crafting interface and tooltips "This is a sheep, it drops wool" in general seem to give players more of a foothold into who MC works. I wouldn't object to seeing something like that in the PC version. Nothing really spelled out, the "clever" crafting reduced to a more utilitarian setup and let the player play!

Totally agree. The tooltips come up exactly once for each mob or block when you encounter it for the first time. Finally found some lapis or hit bedrock? Quick tooltip saying what the gently caress it is, so you don't have to stare at it and try and figure out what it's for.

There is still so much that isn't explained in the Xbox version, for example it'll tell you that you can plant those seeds that you found and you'll get wheat, but all the stuff about water hydrating soil up to four blocks away, or mobs trampling crops, or even when to harvest, that's still got to be figured out or looked up. Being told that redstone can act as an electrical circuit doesn't even hint at the crazy poo poo you can do with that.

But it's enough to give players a decent foothold into the game, get the basics done, and then save the wikis and tutorial videos and the major sperging for the more complex stuff.

Especially now the PC version has creative mode, it's silly for it not to just list the recipes for items as a player can just load up that mode and scroll through everything in the game to see what can be made. It's not a secret that the items exist, so hiding how to make them is just poor design at this point.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Boat posted:

So my nephews came by for a week, and the first thing out of their mouths upon getting the hellos out of the way was "Hey uncle Boat, have you heard of Minecraft?"

:dance:

I spent basically the entire week playing Minecraft, LEGO, and swimming. It pretty much ruled.

Anyway, they brought their XBOX 360 and we played pretty much exclusively on that. You should all thank your lucky stars you've got the computer version. On top of the usual Minecraft bugginess, there are a slew of XBOX only bugs. Since we played in 4-up split screen, only the first player could hear noteblocks. I was trying to make a song, and every time I had to time it, I'd have to wait for my nephew to come over since if he was out of range, everything was silent. :psyduck:

On the plus side, it held for rain too, so as long as he was underground we all got to avoid the constant rain hiss.

I'm just utterly boggled that transposing a game as buggy as Minecraft to another system not only imported all the existing bugs, but created so many new bugs as well. Goddamn.

Yeah it's buggy and twitchy alright. But to be fair though, it does have things like the 4 player splitscreen. It's kind of awesome that they could just stroll up and ask you if you have heard of the game, and provide the means for you to play it with them at the same time. It's far from perfect, but the good far outweighs the bad.

Considering they had to pull apart Notch's old code and rewrite it for another platform I'm amazed it's as good as it is. 4J are good people though, they seem to be working hard to get this poo poo fixed.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
The snapshot was semi-hosed apparently so it got swapped out to a B version (at the same link). If you got it early you'll probably want to update.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

vulturesrow posted:

Thanks for that guys. I was looking more at building tutorials, etc. The Ethos series sounds interesting though.

If you want the absolute basics covered, then Paulsoaresjr has a survive and thrive series of tutorials that cover everything you could want in vanilla SSP. He actually restarted the series when the full release came out. As entry level stuff it's the go to channel.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Dinnerbone does seem pretty cool. Also seems to be quick at going from the "here's an idea I had" to "it's in the update" too. Fast turnaround on ideas is very anti-Notch.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
In that case let's hope Dinnerbone doesn't get given a raise any time soon.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
He was being a smug indie developer on Twitter again yesterday, basically rolling his eyes after someone he met had told him Mojang needed to mature as a company. Then he was retweeting people who said they liked them as they are etc. He's still wearing "amateur" as a badge of honour it seems.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Enzer posted:

Yes, apparently. Remember that guy who did all the recent changes to the AI, recoding them from the ground up so they could 1) improve mob behavior for old mobs, 2) make adding new mobs with original behavior easier and not require modifying existing mobs and 3) make it so mod developers could easily add new mobs?

Guess what hes stuck doing right now, jack poo poo on Scrolls. :/

Notch did to him what he basically did to Jeb back in the day, really kind of sucks and, as mentioned, has hurt their only money maker's development. What really blows about them taking Jon "temporarily" off the project was that he was in the middle of something like two new mobs that may now never see the light of day.

I wondered what had happened to that guy. So much was made of him revamping mob AI and suddenly he vanished. drat.

Those object holders look fantastic. One new item that basically adds dozens of new decoration possibilities. This Dinnerbone guy is a total dude.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
A potion of flight to temporarily give survival players the creative mode flying ability would be cool. You know, for climbing up those giant loving mountains.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Sethbling has a video of the new Wither mob and it's terrifying. It attacks everything with explosive projectiles. It's ... pretty loving awesome actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvlyQoOlXTY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Skip to 10 minutes in for the Wither.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 24, 2012

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
You want to build an extension to your house? That'll be 12,460 bells emeralds.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

cbirdsong posted:

Then they can move onto making Minecraft 2, where everything takes place on a giant globe, so you can dig to the other side. Perhaps it will also have weird physics-driven vehicles like Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, so you can also construct a rocket and go to the moon.

When can I buy this game? I want to buy this game. Let me buy this game. Will you sell me this game?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I found the madness endearing. Don't listen to them, you're the harmless and pretty face of crazy. :allears:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
In a moment of madness I bought the Pocket Edition to play on my iPad. My god that version is incredibly barebones even with the recent update to add in creepers and wheat. But you know what? It's still fun in spite of how little it has in terms of content and features. Digital LEGO on the go for portable spergin.

Sadly there is no export to GIF option, but I'm sure they'll add that in later.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Those pictures weren't gifs, I feel unfulfilled. :colbert:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I hope witches can turn people into frogs for a short time.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

IUG posted:

Wasn't this made by someone from these boards, maybe even from this thread?

No but it was talked about before, in between the goon Mineclone projects so you probably remember it from that.

The next thing he tweeted confused me, as I couldn't work out if he wanted people to not buy Win8 at all, or just not buy it to put pressure on Microsoft to not go around certifying all the games. The man is odd, to say the least.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
They hit 4 million sales on Xbox too. That's insane.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Enzer posted:

I haven't kept up with their development since I don't currently own any current gen consoles, did they ever say they were going to fork from the PC and go their own route in new content? Kind of like how Pocket has a few different items PC doesn't have?

In a recent interview they did talk about the possibility of it splitting off after reaching 1.2. They seem committed to matching content with the PC version up to that point, that's been talked about since day one, but when they reach that point things look like they may end up taking a different path. They have talked about maybe bringing in some of the popular mods, depending upon what the community wants.

All sounds fairly reasonable actually. With the PC version still being in this constant and ongoing state of development, I can imagine that at some point they would like to draw a line under the Xbox version. For now though, the game is catch-up, and in a couple of weeks us console minecrafters get the 1.8.2 stuff. So yay.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

jivjov posted:

Any word on when they're going to remove that ridiculous world size limit on the 360 version? I'd love to be able to couch co-op with a buddy on minecraft, but having a tiny world flies in the face of the way minecraft is supposed to work.

They've said they will look into that after catching up with the PC version features (well, to 1.2 anyway), but they've made no promises on the matter.

Honestly though, the world size is only really an issue in the Nether, which is ridiculously tiny. It took something like 30 goons beavering away in shifts over the course of a month to fill the world that I was hosting. Once you find a seed you like, 1,000 blocks square lasts a hell of a long time. Two of you wouldn't have a problem having fun in that world, it'd be just a very large island to share.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

lemonsaresour posted:

I set up a fenced in area for animals and I'd like for them to spawn inside the fence. I read somewhere that if it's well lit, fenced in, and has a lot of long grass animals will spawn there. They haven't spawned though.

I really don't want to lead the animals in with wheat.

Any idea of what I'm doing wrong? Is it even possible?

Sounds like you've been following advice based upon the beta version of the game, where animals weren't persistent and would spawn on grass. These days, you do need to lead, capture and breed the animals that you do find, and if you kill them then they are gone for good. (Well, a very long time at least.)

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Can't you build some portals and lead them through the Nether now thanks to the recent snapshots?

Or if you don't mind "cheating", swap to creative, spawn a couple of cows and swap back.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

SMP posted:

Similarly, people should go check out a server I've been playing on for a while now that's recreating Westeros from Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire!

http://mc.westeroscraft.com/

Why can't Minecraft always look like that? Why? It's so pretty ...

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Babunar posted:

Because that's a render that probably took a few minutes to generate. (As you probably already know, not being a dick, just thought I'd point it out for anyone else.)

I actually didn't know that. Makes sense now you say it, but I haven't really been a PC gamer for a long time so I'm never quite sure what the current state of tech is.

Still, one day technology will be advanced enough to render that in real-time in spite of Notch's horrible code. Not this year, but one day.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Babe Magnet posted:

XBox version is being updated to 1.8.2, giving it most, if not all of the features that the PC version (the official released version, not snapshots) has.

It also has Superflat Nether, which sounds awesome as heck.

Well not quite, it really does have all that was in beta 1.8.2, plus a few tweaks brought forward from later versions (minor stuff like mining speed and apples dropping from tree blocks).

One thing I will note though, the Xbox creative inventory pisses over the PC version. 7 tabs, but within each tab there is no scrolling needed. Makes finding anything much, much easier.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

kas posted:

:wooper: PAINTERLY PACK UPDATE :wooper:

As is tradition around these parts, with a new minecraft update comes a new painterly pack update. :) This patch adds all the 1.4 stuff with the massive variety of options you should expect by now, a few community updates, and finalizes all the prep work on the old code base before we move to the new back-end code (which will allow, finally, proper mod support for painterly).

Here's a preview so big, for an update so big, that this image doesn't even cover all the new graphics added:

Included this time around are:
- New paintings files for every existing paintings file, to accomodate the new 2x2 painting.
- Wither status condition GUI item.
- 1.4 particle effects included in particle effects options.
- 1.4 health bars updated to show withered health in normal and hardcore modes.
- Zombies and Zombie Pigmen updated to 1.4 compatibility.
- Beacon GUI added.
- 4 Variants on the Repair GUI added, including light and dark labels, and with or without icons.
- Updated Creeper armor file.
- Added black and red Wither armor files.
- Updated all existing cloth armor options for new dye option - all armors available in both original and dyeable forms.
- 6 variants on Wither - black and red classic skeleton, 3-eyed skeleton, and glowing eye skeleton.
- Witch available in all standard villager types as well as alternate universe Zoidberg villager.
- 6 variant bats - brown bats, grey bats, castlevania bats, bat skeletons, zubats, and batman.
- Updated wolves to accept dyed collars.
- 36 variants of zombie villager to allow all applicable zombie and villager combinations for heads.
- 14 variants on Wither Skeleton - black and red in all standard skeleton models, plus a couple 3-eyed variants.
- Mask/Head items added for all variants of zombie, skeleton, wither skeleton and creeper.
- 3 player Mask/Head options - Steve, anonymous, and smiley.
- Added Pearl ender pearl/eye of ender/ender chest options by Fuzzball Fox.
- Added box ender chest option by Fuzzball Fox.
- Added lament configuration ender chest option by thehengeprophet.
- Added palantir eye of ender by Roger Hughes.
- Added alternate pine sapling, smooth-style sandstone, mirrored-faced jack-o-lantern, and geared dungeon piston back sprites by ZennyGil.
- 13 variants on item frame backgrounds, including classic, leather, cloth and crushed velvet in a variety of colours.
- 3 types pf ground crops growth - plants, flowering plants, and leafy growth.
- 5 types of ground crops - carrot, potato, beet, turnip, and strawberry, available for both types of ground crop.
- Gold crop, crop on a stick, poison crop and cooked crop for all 5 types of ground crops.
- 11 variants on pumpkin pie to match all types of pumpkin options, including rock and snowman pies.
- 10 variants on the nether star, including classic, skullpiles, open and closed lament configurations, open and closed runeboxes, and a lich's phylactery.
- 14 types of control blocks, in classic, stone, redstone, and other styles.
- 6 types of vases - 4 fired clay vases, orange planter's pot, and super mario style pipe.
- 4 types of anvils - dark iron, shiny iron, golden, and white enamel.
- 12 varieties of inventory icons for vases - all 6 types with and without plants in them.
- 12 new emerald block items - zelda-style, stars on black obsidian, and stars on violet obsidian, in all 4 gemstone colours.
- 9 styles of Beacon block frame.
- 16 varieties of beacon beams in a myriad of blue, pink and gold colours.
- Randomobs support for all 1.4 mobs.

Moving forward from here, is CTM support first (and more mods to follow) as well as some sort of 10 million downloads milestone special event when I think of an appropriately entertaining thing to do for that. I also want to make some more vase-friendly flower options, and add a few small things here and there that I feel are missing.

As usual, get it at http://painterlypack.net/ (or use the link a few posts up to try a pre-made pack that I think everyone will like) and enjoy!

Going to just go ahead and quote this for the new page.

If texture packs ever come to the Xbox edition, and they have muttered about that being possible in the future, then I hope Painterly gets a chance of being picked. Thanks for working so hard on this.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Heavy Lobster posted:

A while back, I let one of my friends goof around on my gaming PC while I was out picking up some food. She gave Minecraft a shot, knowing it was "a game about tree-punching" and having seen a little of Yogscast, and gave up about five minutes in. Why? Well, she was punching trees, but the game also gives zero indicator that you have to hold down left-click rather than click multiple times. Trees don't really show any damage from one hit, and for anyone who's watched gameplay videos, you have no idea that breaking things is channeled since the animation is just a single swing repeated over and over again.

Mojang has essentially left everything up to the community, and the only thing resembling in-game directions (achievements) is a joke. It's like the game was supposed to come with an instruction manual PDF, but didn't.

This is another area in which the Xbox version of the game, despite its other limitations, just pisses over the PC version. There's a full tutorial to ease new players in, getting them used to the basics of both resource gathering and building, and some per-built castles and villages to show the kind of things they could build for themselves once they feel ready. Every update to the game (which started at beta 1.6.6 and is now at beta 1.8.2) has included new features in the tutorial, and even new easter eggs to go and hunt for. Tooltip popups on every block in the game the first time you enounter it, and a "what's this?" button in the inventory to enquiry about stuff you picked up.

Mojang have spent 6 months watching 4Jstudios do a better job of teaching the game to new players, you'd think at some point they would just put the same features into the PC version.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
There is no reason at all for the Pocket Edition to not be ported to Windows phones. It's already on both iOS and Android.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Widdiful posted:

There, looks much better now.

I'm 12 years old and this picture amuses me.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Jeb and Dinnerbone are killing it with these updates. Those quartz blocks look fantastic, and even better it makes the Nether less useless. Exactly the kind of stuff that actually benefits the game for all players.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
There's a Minecraft clone just come out on iPad which has apparently been out on Android and Windows Phone for a while. Called SurvivalCraft. Looks really impressive, it's years ahead of MCPE. Has caves, texture pack support, redstone wiring (that actually can be placed on walls), weather effects, infinite worlds, and you can ride horses and herd cattle with a whistle. The developer is very active and this looks like it's worth buying into for Minecraft on the go.

Chose a video at random from his channel, this is a light sensing lamp showing off the vertical wiring. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP7pDwj1FYI
He's got these really fancy looking random light generators that are worth looking at too.

Edit: Hah, while the combat looks terrible (a true Minecraft clone then), this spike trap he builds to kill a bear is pretty awesome. Yeah. I think I'm going to buy this right now. I want to give this man money.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYQKEn_y1xs

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 29, 2013

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Quick trip report on that SurvivalCraft. Playing it on iPad Mini.

I just spawned in on a beach next to a giant frozen lake. I could see sharks in the ocean and birds flew overhead. I ran across the lake, being chased by a polar bear, and found some nice tall mountains. Saw a little cave up on the hill, decided I wanted to live there but a brown bear already called it home and told me to gently caress off. Tried fighting it with snowballs, but that went badly. Killed it by blocking it in and hitting it with dirt, but a wolf ate me before I could secure the entrance. Then I respawned at the beach and saw lighting set a polar bear on fire.

Game owns.

Combat is terrible, and the controls need a little tweaking, but this feels like playing mid-beta Minecraft desktop edition, but on an an iPad. It is a blatant, blatant clone, but having spent $7 on MCPE just on the hope that one day it wouldn't be terrible (and months later still waiting for even the most basic of features), I give exactly zero fucks. It's technically very polished, excellent framerate and loads quickly, pretty good draw distance, and the ability to download maps and texture packs from within the app (and swap these on the fly) is really good.

Honestly, if you are away from a real version of Minecraft, but have the itch to do a little digging or building while on the commute, this is very satisfying. It does have some rough edges, and does need some work, but it is actually being worked on. Checking out his vids he's already implemented a bunch of features at user request.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
You guys are old, and have forgotten that like all 8 year olds he will very quickly be better at this game than we will ever be.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
So they updated MCPE. Has a furnace bug that makes it pretty much unplayable. The "free now, pay later" multiplayer doesn't seem to be working yet. Oh and you can make cakes now. Still no caves, still minuscule worlds. Such a wretchedly awful piece of poo poo.

Still loving SurvivalCraft weeks after discovering it, even more so now that I'm running it with the Sphax texture pack. It's a very one-sided fight on mobile devices right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

ToastyPotato posted:

Pocket Edition uses the old cave generation code? I feel like the current cave generator is a little too over the top some times. But the old one was maybe too bland.

Haha, no. MCPE doesn't use the new cave generator. It doesn't use the old cave generator either. It has zero caves. None. Zip. Nada. If you want to go underground, I sure hope you like digging.

Pocket Edition is a sick joke. It's a tiny tiny box of land, 255 blocks square, with no caves. There is no redstone, so you can't even use it as a little portable design area, they only just added buckets in this latest (broken on launch) update. Hell, sand and gravel weren't even affected by gravity until recently. $7 for this, and they have sold 10 million copies of it on the strength of the desktop edition's name. Still they have just two part time staff working on it. They are even planning to charge for the multiplayer on this heavily gimped version, after this initial free test period.

That's why on mobile I play SurvivalCraft, which has infinite worlds and caves. It's no Minecraft, but it's a hell of a lot closer than MCPE will ever be.

Plus it's pretty. So very pretty.