Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Hadlock posted:

My main issue here is that "traditionally" there has been some sort of minecart transportation system that would take you to the various parts of the map, usually over land. In a continent based scenario, boats seem to work a lot better. Without some sort of organized nautical navigation system, I feel like you're going to have a bunch of signs that says something like, "Hadlock's Island: 600 blocks west, then 200 blocks south" and "Rack's Island: 1200 Blocks north, 450 blocks east". That's a lot of distance to cover, and I'm not sure you can really trust the average player to do that kind of navigation on their own. Having continents/islands spread out 600+ blocks apart means either hugely increased travel times on SMP servers, or there will need to be some dramatic improvements to fast travel in the Nether that Notch hasn't touched upon yet.

Neither based mine carts would be pretty fast. I mean, a cart covers 8 blocks a second and full speed, and the neither has a compression of 8, so you'd cover 64 real world blocks with every second in a neither cart. 10 seconds would cross one of those oceans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Shameproof posted:

*snip*

These are some good ideas. I don't really like the train tweaks though. More rails is nice, but warping kind of ruins the fun and danger of riding a cart around. Also, I'd go for something that allows for the proper linking of carts behind a powered cart than just making them into autocarts.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Things have been slow in the MC modding scene lately as everyone is gearing up for 1.8. But hell here's one more YB release to hopefully hold you over until then.

:megaman: YogBox 1.7.3 v1.1 now out! :megaman:

What's new?
    -Reverted Inventory Tweaks back to v1.22 and reincluded Convenient Inventory as the latest version of Inv. Tweaks causes issues
    -Updated Single Player RPG Mod to v1.4a
    -Updated Millenaire to 1.3.1 (natch)
    -Updated Somnia to v13, which means that seasons shall now pass while sleeping when used in conjunction with Nandonalt's Seasons Mod
    -Updated Rei's Minimap to v1.8
    -Updated Elemental Creepers to v1.2.3
    -Added changelog.txt, which is what you're reading right now!

Nab it here:
http://theyogbox.net

I just started my 6 days to 1.8 yogworld! PUDDDDINNNNG!
:argh:

Edit: Wait, I don't think we're in the right thread...

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 4, 2011

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Red mushrooms make pretty bitching houses. Just take the stem out and build up the side walls.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Mike the TV posted:

So this is a fun new terrain feature:

Swamps are really cool. Also nice for starting out. Flat, lots of mushrooms and wood. You won't starve and... Well, I'm addicted to red mushroom houses. They're just so... new.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Eiba posted:

At first I felt sorry for the spider- it was bombarded nonstop from all directions by snowballs. It could barely move as it was constantly pelted.

But as time went on I realized it was the snowmen who were in a desperate battle for their lives. One they were doomed to lose. The spider would get an opportunistic hit in every so often, and one by one the snowmen slowly fell.

It was a sad battle... the many snowmen in a hopeless battle vs. the one spider.

Then a creeper showed up.

So many snowballs... so many.

As a side note, I will like how renewable the snowman resources are as soon as we actually get some way to acquire pumpkin seeds. As it stands, they're stupidly finite, as pumpkins are fairly rare, and you don't get your pumpkin back when the snowman dies. If we do get pumpkins seeds, however, we'll have a good reason to farm pumpkins. Each one will basically be a free summon-able shield to distract monsters. It would totally be possible to just throw one down in a cave as a distraction too.

Pumpkin seeds exist, and are farm able.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Vib Rib posted:

They exist in the code but unlike melons there's no way to craft pumpkins into pumpkin seeds, and I've searched maybe a dozen mineshaft chests and never found a single pumpkin seed.

E: oh no
I just accidentally deleted my 1.8.1 world from the main menu while testing out new seeds.
There's no way to get that back if I hadn't manually backed up the folder beforehand, is there?
Guess that warning's there for a reason.
:negative:

They're in strongholds, I believe, and you can make more of them by breaking full sized vines.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I forget, was TehKrush one of the people mad about the yogbox?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Well, to be honest, forests and plains in the real world tend to be a bit dull as well.

What the generator needs though is a better transition, and more logical placement. Mountains should run in long chains, occasionally fully surrounding a biome in the middle (Like a desert). Swamps should be long and coastal, and all the biomes should be a lot bigger.

As far as making things interesting, that'd require more stuff in the actual world. More tree variations, more complex chasm placement so you get big canyons, more dirt and rock types, and more structures like towns.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

tinaun posted:

Edit: release later this month

FFffff. Can they stop with the constant releases until they get an API? Really? Do you really need a brand new release that adds a few improvements and breaks all the community ones for half a month? You're releasing snapshots for anyone that wants to try it.

What the hell Mojang.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

pseudorandom name posted:

Opening the source doesn't actually help much for modding compared to an actual API.

Well, it helps if you want to use exactly one mod, but as soon as you want to use two, things get tricky if both mods want to change the same part of the core game in different ways. And mods stop working if the core game changes enough that the things they were patching no longer exist.

I agree, but at this rate we'll have an API in a year. I wish they'd just freeze development until then, that's all. It's annoying to watch everything in the community freeze for a month.

edit: Also, yes, to the guy two up, they did switch back to making an API.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Bellend Sebastian posted:

For those of us who don't play with client side mods, i'm alright with the regular releases, it shows they're working on the game and changes things up more often than the previous release schedule, If you could call it that.

A modding API would be pretty awesome though, if jeb could get that out.

Don't the snapshots you can download already do that?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

paberu posted:

Anyone kept their 1.0 jar backup? I accidentally updated without backing up and now I can't get on the multilayer server I play on.

Cheers!

You can't give out the jar. It's considered files. You'll have to wait until the minecraft nostalgia is updated.

But hey, we've been asking for wool forever. It's totally worth the mod community dying for another 2 months and having to click no to updates every loving time the game launches.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Vib Rib posted:

Should he just run a daily poll every time he adds a feature to check with the community if it's okay to patch yet, then? At what point does "No! Two months wasn't long enough, we need to see if there will be another buildcraft patch!" finally become "all right, you can add these features officially now."?

How about he patches when he has the API he promised months ago?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Vib Rib posted:

I guess that depends on how far away the API is. If it's only two or three weeks down the line I wouldn't mind waiting, but if it's months away, not having any updates at all between now and then seems rather extreme.

Learn to download the snapshot. It's right there for people that want updates.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

simosimo posted:

Is this game the record holder for Indy game turned huge-goddamn-success?

No, that honor would go to a game coded in the 80's on a Russian clone computer.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Who has any trouble at all with the mobs though in minecraft?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Death Himself posted:

Why does the most successful independent game in the history of gaming have one lone dude working on it?

Because Tetris was made in Soviet Russia? I don't know. Let's keep on topic.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Death Himself posted:

All he has to do is make minecraft with skyrim combat and he'll be a billionaire.

I've played mods with skyrim style combat in minecraft, and it does indeed own. (And make blocking useful.) I'm hopping that it will catch Jeb's eyes and he'll add something similar to the base.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

PalmTreeFun posted:

Got links? I'd love to try this. It'd make getting experience points a lot less awful.

While we're at it, overhaul the potions/enchantments system to be like Skyrim's. They're already basically that but worse in every way.

Here you go. Doesn't overhaul the enchantments/potions, but it does make combat more interesting with the dungeon mods. They'll all broadcast their attacks, so use parry as much as possible or they'll kill you.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/746330-11better-dungeons-v092-mods-for-the-adventurers/

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Law posted:

Why is there no option to have hunger and non-regenerating health without enemy mobs. I just wanted to play Harvest Moon cube edition without having to worry about the awful combat. :(

Sorry, Rune Factory is better.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Hadlock posted:

Is this correct? Our world is from Jan 2011 and we've got villages and swamps, etc. in the newly explored areas, even though the older core/spawn area doesn't have them. As I understand it, newly generated terrain always follows the new terrain rules. We have a "seam" in the oceans where the old terrain gen meets the new terrain gen (sea level changed at Beta 1.8). So in theory if the new terrain rules follow what the old ones have, then newly generated terrain would create hills higher than 128 (if they choose to go that route)

The sky has been raised from 128 to 256, so in theory you could have hills up to 250 blocks high. Sea level remains the same at 63-64, so you have a lot more room to build up to 50 story buildings. On the other hand they could stick with the existing ~120 max hill height.

Jeb's coding it so it ignores the new rules specifically because people hated the seams.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Whalley posted:

They make mods but they make the bad kind of mods because the only good mods are the ones that let you build automated mining machines and resource upgraders, turning Survival into Creative Except It Takes A Bit Longer To Destroy Blocks.

Yeah, better dungeons and millinaire totally do that. :allears:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Schwarzwald posted:

Tim Curry's danger is manageable... unless you've also installed Industrial Craft.

Thankfully I've learned to mark the proper trees for cutting with red wool x's.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Notch will drop in on minecraft forever like this. It sucks, but its his game to screw up.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Scrolls Effect.

In a more serious note, how about Panacea. Since you go around ridding the world via dungeons to expand your reach.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Elysiume posted:

A panacea is a universal remedy. What does that have to do with dungeons and reach?

The universal remedy is your sword!

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
http://gamepolitics.com/2012/05/08/mojang-possible-minecraft-subscriptions-boycotting-e3

So, who's ready to give Mojang a monthly fee for their updates?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There's a serious lack of context here. I google translated the original article and it didn't make a whole lot of sense but it doesn't sound like they'll be charging for future updates.

Yeah, but apparently the word is Mojang wants to host the mods when it allows modding, so it seems like they feel they need compensation for that. We'll see what happens. I hope it's just a lack of context and jumping to conclusion.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Enzer posted:

Still don't think I am understanding this fully, they want to set up servers run by Mojang that have a monthly fee? If that is what is going on, that is all fine and dandy as long as "third party" server services are still an option, because honestly there is no way their customer support would match the quality I have seen with Minehost while playing on WilsonSMP let alone be able to match what you pay for hardware. I could see a lot of backlash if it was not anything but an optional service.

As for hosting mods, if they start charging a fee to access mods things are going to go down hill fast and unless they pull off some serious bullshit, there is no way you are going to see the modding community move away from their current setup. Couldn't add revenue be high enough to cover any hosting costs? I mean hell, most modders are around the age of 14 it seems and they are all using free methods of hosting their mods as of now.

What I really don't understand is why they seem frantic about this, Minecraft still sells a stupid amount of copies a day at a price that really is a little to high for a game that really should not have been declared done. They have very little overhead and no maintaining cost such as server farms for SMP currently. If Mojang is really worried about the future of their company they either need to get Scrolls out the door already so they can clear up their employees time to work on a game that might actually sell as compared to a digital card battle game that uses an outdated model for micro transactions to buy new decks or just stop doing updates on Minecraft when sales are no longer able to pay for the overhead for future development.

This is what I am getting at:

-Minecraft PC sells about 10,000 copies a day (according to Minecraft Stats Page they sold 9,244 in the past 24 hours): 10,000 sales a day at 27.00$ is 270,000$ a day or about 8 Million a month.

-As of March Minecraft Pocket, the iPhone/Android app of the game that is very limited in in scope made, its one millionth sale. At 7$ a pop, that is another 7 Million.

-Minecraft 360 Version, another derivative work off the PC game that is also limited in scope (especially world size) was released this week. In the first 24 hours of being released they sold 400,000 copies. This has smashed the record on any other Arcade purchase. Minecraft 360 is also the most expensive game Arcade has to offer, at 20$. So in the first 24 hours they made 8 Million, as much as Minecraft PC currently makes on average a month.

Now the Minecraft overhead cost right now is paying for Jeb who has also done around 90% of the coding work for the Pocket edition before handing it off to (what I believe is a two man group) that maintains that version which has only had 3 updates in the past 10 months, Jon who does AI coding but is now working on the Scrolls project and the Bukkit team (4 programers) to help work on the Moding API which I can only assume is a temporary position. I would put decent salary for people in their position to be around 37,000$ which would put them at just under 300,000$ in pay a year and even if you bump that figure up so total overhead is 500,000$ a year, that is only 6.25% of what they make in a month on PC version alone.

If they start charging for services outside of providing servers for SMP and or remove the ability for third party servers to operate and charge for mods I can see a rather big backlash against Mojang, especially since this isn't even Notch talking about it, but their CEO who doesn't have the fan base backing like Notch does.

Nothing is ever enough for a company. They're doing fine, but they'll still want more. More profit. More money. More market share.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

dipple posted:

Well it would have been pretty silly to hire all these people if Notch wasn't planning to expand beyond just sitting around and watching minecraft print money.

It's pretty silly of notch to hire people who call their project bukkit.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Wasn't the piston a fan mod that they adopted in?

Yep, it was. They modified it so it didn't toss things into the air though, 'cause that didn't fit with the theme of the game.

The game being in Java and easily modifiable is the only thing that's saved it.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That's just gravel for the road.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Internet Kraken posted:

Cool, another ore to weigh down my pockets while exploring :saddowns:

If... if only you could chose not to mine things. It must be hard, living with a compulsion to mine everything when you explore.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

NINbuntu 64 posted:

To be fair, if a coin purse or something isn't implemented this poo poo is going to get pretty hectic.

If it acts like red stone then it probably will, yeah. Still, more blocks is always better in a game about blocks. Also, they've gotta use those expanded block ID's.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Jesus christ, Jeb is knocking this poo poo out of the park. Either that or my expectations of phenomenally low.

A combination of both. Jeb is good, I just wish he'd stop releasing until the API comes out. That's my only complaint really about his progress. "Welp, we can't deliver the thing everyone is waiting for, so let's push what we got out and force the same issue on the community next month!"

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
^^^
Livestock don't respawn. You have to breed them yourself or they'll go extinct. They're permanent.

General_Failure posted:

It's probably not news to anyone else but I just learned a skellie arrow in a cart track stops a cart dead. Haven't tested with my arrows yet. Thought I'd pass that one on.

The fishing rod lure works as well.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Laser Spider posted:

I'm surprised that modders seem to be taking so long with updates. Was 1.3 so incredibly different that it is taking them longer than the week of prerelease to get everything working again?

Each release is different because it's released obsfucated and has to be mapped. Then the API's have to come out, and then the mods update. 1.3 changes everything too in the engine for single player, so there's that. Mod's will be gone for a month or so.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
None of them are currently on forge. It's run by lex something or other now. Spacetoad doesn't even make Buildcraft anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You've got millions of dollars! Hire someone to do your engine for fucks sake!