Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Taffer posted:

People were talking about texture packs earlier, specifically John Smith. It's, in my opinion, far, far better than any other texture pack out there, but like anything it has little problems. So I figure that's a good chance to post the edits I've been doing on it. Mostly I've just mix-matched textures from different versions he's released, but I finally got bothered enough with what he was doing to smoothstone and ores to actually do some real edits. Credit still remains with John Smith of course.

Hope whoever downloads it enjoys. :3:

A very nice pack, thank you. Everything about it aside of the water and the wolves thus far is absolutely perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Bloody hell, any idea why I can't seem to get this 1.9 update? I've attempted forced updates, it remains at 1.8.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Thank you folks, will track it down now then. Progress calls! drat glad I have a profile manager now though.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love to see less cave and feature density, but more variety.

You need a mine or two, you've seen them all. Spend some time coming up with other things. Abandoned temples on the surface and below, surface ruins with basements and underground elements, underwater ruins..

This is something Notch has been doing lately with the strongholds and abandoned mines, and this is glorious. What I would like to see is some more storytelling in the design. Empty towns generating in disrepair featuring a cave out of which floods poisons spiders and so on. Clues given as to WHO built these lost mines, possible reasons why they're abandoned now.

Give inspiration for a player to write a story in their heads about why things are as they are. Admittedly some times this isn't necessary. The present set of mines I'm playing in are partially flooded by the ocean above, which gives a pretty good excuse for their poor condition and abandonment.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Vib Rib posted:

Can't confirm it completely yet, but Endermen no longer burn up in sunlight, from what I've seen.

I can confirm this. Endermen don't burn but instead will teleport away with the daylight, staying only long enough to make it clear they don't burn (An Enderman standing around untoasted even as skeletons and zombies burn around it). Where they teleport to I have no idea yet. Might just be a gimmicky despawn.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Vib Rib posted:

I hope it's a mere interface change, because the cauldrons were so drat visually pleasing, and one of the more interesting features to interact with.

Haven't had a chance to play with the cauldrons, but everyone upset with cauldrons getting the boot really should consider certain wonderful alternatives...

Chemistry sets! Alembics! Multicolored liquids flowing through tubes into bottles and vials! Bunsen Burners maybe?

Chemical mad science!

Such is what I'm hoping for.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

FidgetyRat posted:

Hopefully you expect something as convoluted as redstone circuits.

Why use tubes when you can use position on blocks, but only at the correct angle and in proper combination with the blocks next to it.

I could see it turning out that way, and if it did I might not complain too much as it lends itself well to an proper expansive mad science lab, but I do actually prefer simple systems and would be happier with a chemistry set that didn't exceed a size of 4 blocks.

Edit: Now that you have me thinking about it I confess I'm now having visions of a lab set up with equipment to pipe potions around, maybe rigged to dump them into holding cells to test their effects in unethical experiments on pigs, cows, zombies... Villagers....

I'm probably getting my hopes up for a simple chemistry set as it is however.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 30, 2011

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

glug posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with all of you people. Do you even have a use for these chickenparts in vanilla, or is this just wholesale slaughter for the sake of building the biggest slaughterhouse?

You should all get your heads checked.

:colbert:

Just think of all of those hundreds of chickens forced into an impossibly tiny space, flickering in and out of existence and hurtling back and forth in hellish nausea as their tiny chicken minds struggle endlessly to figure out what has become of them and where the peaceful grassy fields of their ancestors went.

They are forced to continue their blighted existence- denied even the release of death or the promise of freedom for their children as the eggs cease to be collected.

Just think about it.

:geno:

The Snark fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 4, 2011

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Verizian posted:

If you could craft creature spawners that are triggered by redstone it would be glorious.

This would be a great idea. Having to load them with the associated creature resource does for the most part mean you can't turn them into farming machine cores very well as you'll get diminishing returns for the most part while at the same time giving adventure map makers a powerful tool for booby traps and other such fun.

Also great for 'capturing' zombies for terrifying experiments. I will cure them of zombification if it's the last thing they do! As many times as it takes!

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

crossektion posted:

That sperglord is ridiculous, but honestly notch has sort of been borrowing some ideas from modders for a while now.

One person, or even one small team, coming up with ideas vs. the whole of the internet.

You're actually going to suggest that they can't or shouldn't implement anything that anyone else thought up first and/or crudely implemented in a (necessarily) free mod.

Please tell me how that isn't a stupid idea.

This sperg is so mad about Minecraft having potions. HE HAD POTIONS FIRST!

Was it this potion mod? http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/440202-17x-pazazs-mods-potions/

This potion mod? http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/527178-173-boost-potion-mod/

Wait, maybe it was THIS potion mod? http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/239374-166-frizkies-mods-june-7-potions-mod/

Which of these glorious dorks could be the one owed millions and millions for Notch stealing THEIR idea!

They need to decide this among themselves first I think. In a televised fight to the death. :black101:

The Snark fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 11, 2011

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Iacen posted:

Apparently Notch stole everything from this mod: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/391995-166-potioncraft-v02-updated-jun-21-witches/

Which judging from the screenshots have even worse graphics sprites than what Notch has created.
But then again, the effect of the Enchanting table is so pretty, I've almost forgiven Notch of the horrible, eye cancer inducing cobblestone.

Looks like it'll be a four-way deathmatch!

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Yes.

Weaponized potions mean I can now experiment with potions properly! Which is to say, on anything other than myself- unless it's shown to be beneficial.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
^:argh: I have been beaten!

truncated aardvar posted:

Do you know if there's a reason he's using pistons over lava, other than the coolness factor?

Because there's a higher chance of the lava burning up the items mobs drop. But yes, I imagine primarily for the awesomeness of having a mechanized mob mangler.

I think his spawn trap floors are needlessly convoluted and relatively inneffectual however.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 24, 2011

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Hmmm, I have my bed directly under a glass ceiling that in turn sits under a huge elevated gravity-kill mob farm that drops an endless payload of hot steaming mobs from a massive height to splatter on top of the glass. I find it relaxing.

I hope the new bed code won't interfere with this.

This idea. I am taking it. Soon I shall fall asleep to the gentle sounds of falling mobs as well.

Besides I've completed my hideously unethical potion experimentation already.

Fun side note, undead are immune to harm potions. Or at least, they were as of Pre 9.4.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
I'm pleased I have room to believe the ending is just hilarious trolling. My one concern is that Notch might be tempted to leave it in the game anyway.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Here's an idea... No more new dimensions. Instead, new times.

Already there are automatic map alterers that can take your world and 'age' it, turning your constructions into ancient ruins. Why not have a portal that takes you to a new map that is based on your existing map after it has been modified in this fashion? A one-time generation is simplest, but it would be no small amount of interesting if you could then go back in time to build something new just to have the ruins of the future updated accordingly.

Or, stranger still, create a portal to go back in time, allowing you to, say... stuff a large amount of feathertouch pick-mined coal at the adminium layer, bury it, place some manner of monument above it and return to your original 'time' in order to go back down and mine out what is now a large diamond vein.

I wonder if it's a viable mod idea...

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

LogisticEarth posted:

:eng99:
Diamonds are not formed from coal:
http://geology.com/articles/diamonds-from-coal/

Oh god, you're right! Why did I have to suggest that diamonds be formed in such an unrealistic way in the game with all the blocks! My... My posting career is over... It was going so well too, there was light at the end of the tunnel! But this... this STAIN... it will never wash away. No one who plays games will every take me seriously again!

I'm... I'm sorry. For everything.

:suicide:

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
There was entirely too much obsession over the coal and diamond thing though really. I just like the idea of nonsensical time portals leading to altered worlds rather than additional nonsensical dimensions leading to entirely different ones.

Which I feel inclined to note violate so many laws of physics, you guys.

Someone did have a good idea though. If corpses were persistant and could be dragged around Bethesda style, could go back in time and breed a ton of cows to then kill and bury at the adminium layer to harvest as oil back in the present. Just so long as it's understood that under no circumstances would that work in reality.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Nov 16, 2011

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I'm a bit late on this, but I'm glad Jeb/Jens? is working on Minecraft now. They always seemed like the more driven and accomplished programmer, so we might see a return to more regular interesting updates :unsmith:

Assuming the game isn't accepted as 'done'. Good luck with those updates if that is the case, we'll be lucky to see an API that doesn't have a new price tag. Well, those of us who bought the alpha need worry not on that point, but that'll be cold comfort to the rest.

Still, Jeb's a good guy. If he truly has authority over the game, the best of possible outcomes seems more likely.

Since the "Minecraft Ending" and Yogscast fiascos, it seems pretty clear to me that Notch should just hand over the reigns and go play with his millions of dollars.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The API will be in 1.1 and will be free.

It was never in notch's plans to charge for stuff like that so I don't know why you seem so sure that they will.

Good to hear, and you are reading too much certainty. I'm just being somewhat pessimistic.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
"I love you. All of you. Thank you for turning Minecraft into what it has become, but there are too many of you, and I can’t be responsible for something this big. In one sense, it belongs to Microsoft now. In a much bigger sense, it’s belonged to all of you for a long time, and that will never change."

If this is real, that is the punchline.

'In the one, tangible legally actionable sense it now belongs to Microsoft- but you bought it in the past to make it yours and that will never change.'

Well gee, thanks Notch.

On the bright side the development progress is going to shoot through the roof.

Or will stop entirely in anticipation of the upcoming Minecraft 2 : Cubed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Slenderman is probably the single most successful spawn of SA. Not many places can lay claim to have created a legendary monster feared, adored and imitated by people all over the world. It touches on something primal and sinister.

Translates really badly into Minecraft though.

VMehV

The Snark fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 4, 2014