Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Silly Notch, you confused "Sheep" and "Birds".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Zorak posted:

Is the frequent issues I have with memory causing Minecraft to close the session/ save and go "hey, the game is hosed, restart" just a general bug or is it something I'm doing wrong setting wise? I basically switched the minecraft.jar from 1.8 into the .minecraft/bin/ folder and replaced an old one

If you were using any mods, did you clear out any leftover files from them?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Taffer posted:

I only checked the last couple of pages, but does anyone have any idea what leveling up does? I haven't noticed any difference so far.

Also, eating rotten meat changes the color of your food bar but doesn't seem to change health regen at all. No downsides?

Not sure on the second, but the answer to the first is "Nothing until 1.9".

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I would so live in that town IRL. That would be awesome.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm having login issues too. :argh:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I found the mainland on the sea seed posted earlier, it's eastish about 3 or 4 days sailing. Big desert.

EDIT: To be more specific, the seed 1662097789

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 11, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Zorak posted:

Anyone have any good tiny islands in giant sea seeds?

1662097789. It was posted yesterday and AFAIK I'm the first one to find the mainland.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

skinny white boy posted:

Found the mainland yesterday, brah. Now I've got to figure out how to get back thanks to a glitch that wouldn't teleport me back to the bed. Nooootch!!

Fine then, I'm Leif Ericson and you're Bjarni Herjolfsson. :colbert:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
X: -366.25
Y: 72.62
Z: -1271.46

It's in the middle of the desertish area before the forest. Nearby is this:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Even without every other feature added, just the world gen changes alone would've made this a major patch. Everything else is just icing on that delicious, delicious cake.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I remember getting one in 1.6, so definitely not a new thing.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Drake Lake posted:

By the way, concerning the furnace bug, I've noticed that it only happens to me when I use custom textures. Otherwise, with default textures, I've not had any problem at all (other than some duplication problems but those are minor). I can't figure out why that is.

It's already been figured out and fan patched. Link

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
If it works for now, it's good enough for the initial release. It's not like if they use that for the first public release of 1.8, they can't still hunt for the actual source. In other news, got a nice starting penninsula with very few trees(only 3) and bordered by a desert to get you started.

Seed: 5860687631561310899

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I think a lot of the ocean ones are people redoing worlds until they find one. Most of my maps have been on the mainland so far.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm really liking the midsized island in the new gen code:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Jervas Dudley posted:

How did you get custom water? Minecraft default water looks lovely with any other texture pack.

MCPatcher still works with 1.8.

Did some more exploring, because it took me literally over a day to find sheep. I'm digging the Biome variety:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm finding 95 is pretty good for a 16:9 display.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

MeinGott posted:

How come I don't get a hunger bar on my 1.8 :(

If your texture pack doesn't have a texture for it it doesn't show up.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Deep Winter posted:

poo poo you are right ignore me SORRY ZORAK

On topic: I am waiting for the official relatively bug-free release version of 1.8, ya'll are crazy.

There's already a relatively bug free version out. The only major crash bug is fixed.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Are they supposed to be rare? I see them every night, sometimes multiple ones.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I think the distinction between rear end in a top hat and jerk is an important one to make. A jerk tries to be semi-clever and restrained about his douchiness. An rear end in a top hat just goes all out. Endermen are jerks, creepers are assholes.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Logtar posted:

dumb rear end villagers are not good at town planning.

Seconded. I swear this isn't something I did.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Logtar posted:

Does anybody have any idea why 1.8 made my minecraft run like poo poo? I'm running an ATI 4850 and I have never had problems with minecraft before, but then this poo poo started happening: http://i.imgur.com/DLx6D.png The game is unplayable :(

I'm using a 4850, no lag spikes for me.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Brand new update = Notch's site being hammered for a day or two. Wait til tomorrow and try registering again.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Nope, been working awesome for me. I get nice height variations in everything but the swamps, which I would hope wouldn't have height variations anyways.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

arhra posted:

Enjoy it while it lasts.

I'm not sure if it's bugged or what, but pigs (and sheep/cows/chickens) don't seem to be respawning at all on the SMP server I play on.

Animals are persistent now I think. IE, they're dead, they're dead.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I have to admit, I thought hunger was gonna be masochistic sperg poo poo like it almost always is, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's balanced really well.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Okay, I just found a single room with Mossy Stone, a mob spawner and a chest in a 1.8 generated world. Are old style "dungeons" still in? I thought Mineshafts and Strongholds were replacing them. Or did they and I just found one small part of a Stronghold?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, after posting that I've found like 3 more despite not finding a single one before today even though I got 1.8 with the first pre-release. Weird. Oh well, Mossy Stone time!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I haven't had any crashes besides the furnace one in pre1. I think it's increased mem usage finally coming to a head and needing 64-bit java on 64-bit OSes.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Are you sure Notch has switched over to JDK 7? I'd assume his jar would have to be compiled in 7 in order to gain any benefits from running it in 7.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Might as well give it a shot then. Worst that happens is I reinstall 6.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Oh holy poo poo does Java 7 improve performance. ~60 FPS with Chrome running with 7 tabs open playing music and two other Java apps open.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Howmuch posted:

Anyone know of a good texture pack for the pre-release?

I've always been a fan of JohnSmith. No 1.9 release yet, but it looks good enough, and he did put out a 1.8pre pack a couple days after the 1.8pre came out.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

"Advanced OpenGL" is occlusion culling, which actually reduces the amount of work your graphics card has to do.

Assuming Minecraft does it right, who knows?

It causes issues for some people where it will actually stop rendering things that should be rendered instead of just things that are out of sight.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Is here a better way to mine clay than this?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Just grab a shovel and dig underwater.

Does shovel digging not slow down under water? :doh:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Thanks for the tips everyone.

In other news, found a bitchin crater lake:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I've got an HD4850, a 2.6 Athlon II X4 and 4 GB of RAM. With 1.9 Pre, 64-bit Java 7 and a force the use of 4 GB of RAM shortcut I get a constant 70 FPS fullscreened at 1920x1080 with a 32x texture pack, Fancy graphics, Far rendering, Smooth Lighting on and Advanced OpenGL off. No lag spikes either. Maybe I'm just a lucky SoB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Vanadium posted:

$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_18"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.7) (6b18-1.8.7-2~squeeze1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode)

This apparently can't run the 1.9 preview server and the guy who owns the machine doesn't want to install Oracle's java. Has anyone managed to get the server to run with any version of openjdk or am I hosed?

Notch specifically says it has to be Oracle's IIRC, sorry.