Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, redstone.

From my reading, it didn't look too hard. You just have to take a step back and realize that even redstone dust and torches are just blocks stuck to other blocks, albeit with funny-shaped hitboxes. It's ALL just blocks, even if it looks like mostly air.

My first little baby redstone project was to make twinkle twinkle little star in note blocks. It took an hour or so, but it turned out perfectly after some tweaking. It was simple enough, the end result was something I'm already familiar with, it only uses one z-level, and I used the Minecraft Forums redstone guide PDF to jump a couple hurdles such as needing to make the repeaters line up with the dust trails. You can find that here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/544827-redstone-guide-v121/

I would 100% suggest that project to anyone that wants to learn redstone, it really isn't hard at all. I'm working on piston doors now and feeling a bit like it's over my head.

The Yogbox was like a fresh coat of paint, It introduces many more mostly aesthetic variables to the base world which certainly help relieve boredom. But redstone is not random. It is based on a set of impossibly complex rules, like it's own little language made out of blocks. It makes me feel like a loving stupid little kid again. It's brilliant, and I get the satisfaction of actually seeing myself improving at a skill through my constructions that no mod can give.

Except maybe technic. I'll have to try that out sometime.

Point is, I want alchemy and maybe enchantments to be as complicated as redstone. I want them to be mechanics that are simple to learn, with a small curveball to being proficient with them, and they should be fiendishly difficultto master. That's what will keep me playing.

And eventually I wanna make this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVa0FIenDWI&feature=player_embedded

Jinh fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wrist Watch posted:

I like cave systems, but I really wish they'd be a bit smaller or less sparse or something.

Also, what's wrong with rivers?

I 100% agree on cave gen, I wish the frequency of caves were biome specific or a random frequency for each biome area generated in a world at least. I'm surprised there isn't a mod to change cave freqency and combine that with any of the worldgens we've had since alpha. I mean, being able to download a worldgen with a high-cave or low-cave 1.7 world or modern no-cave world by clicking a couple options on a website would rule. Not sure if this is possible.

Rivers are crap if you pay attention to where they come from or where they go, in that... they don't. They are seemingly random doodles added to the world, like ravines.

In my perfect world, I'd have a low-caves with the old fractally worldgen (with the new increased buildheight used) and rivers that at least connect to larger bodies of water.

I also agree that the underground starts to get really samey after a while, some kind of structures randomly showing up would be nice at least. Underground mushroom biomes?

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have an alternate download for Sphax 128 or 256? AD.fly is making GBS threads the bed redirecting me to the main site, and bdcraft.net refuses to let me get around it.

gently caress the Minecraft modding community

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I got a grayscreen crash: Rendering Screen error as soon as I clicked it's icon in the TP menu.

It sure seems to have messed up the game somehow, or maybe suddenly my computer can't handle it.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

Also:
code:
Drag item stacks around to divide them up over the dragged-over slots.
Oh my god, how did I not know about this? This is the greatest addition. I can now make paper, books, bookshelves, slabs, metal blocks, and anything else not a factor of two with ease. Being able to divide by an arbitrary number of slots is a great idea, and this was a great, intuitive way to implement it.

Wait, what.

Tried it. My god, it's beautiful.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well at least it will eventually hit the 360 version so that somebody gets some use out of it. PC servers without mods will have a nice non-industrial way to travel too. I hope there's a good bit more to the update though, these are pretty much exactly the Mo' Creatures horses. I also hope you can use a normal saddle with them, I think you needed to make a special one in the mod.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Minecraft is made of some pretty crazy code, it's for the best that there are only a couple people sorting it out at the moment, instead of throwing 10 guys on cleanup duty and having them step on each other's toes. When poo poo is relatively stable they can work on some really cool stuff (the api).

I've been out of the loop for a few months, have sales been slowing or is the game still selling well enough that the mojang team can continue profiting off their game and give it updates for the long term? I wonder if they plan to stop doing updates after the api is released, it would make sense to just let the modders roam free and only bugfix the api after it's done.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
if you don't play on peaceful you're hosed in the head, really.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Herobrine dlc, xbox one exclusive.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
i would buy the telltale angry birds game too bitch

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sorry for bugging this thread but I feel like you would know best. Anyone remember a game like factorio that had a trailer including the song "from stardust to sentience" https://youtu.be/iZBh8E80wAI

The trailer had a sort of 2001 a space Odyssey feel to it with leaps in tech ending with a huge moving factory building or rocket launch pad thing.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hey, that's the one! Wow, it's not as good looking as I remember at all but it's an awfully nice trailer. Thanks! It also led me to a game similar to zelda/stardew valley called Hazelnut Bastille by the same devs that looks real nice.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 9, 2017

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Isn't minecraft way waaaay more cpu intensive than graphically intensive? Old wisdom was you could run Mc on drat near integrated graphics as long as you have loads of ram and a beastly CPU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fuego Fish posted:

Oh sure, they start out looking like that, but by the time you reach the other side of the mountain they look like this:

:golfclap: