Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Kin posted:

Made more headway. Now i have a bed! (and a first attempt at a mine down the back end of my expanded hovel.

It's a lot of work though (a lot more than Terraria) so playing with other goons on a group task seems like it might be a lot more appealing to me.

Oh, are there mods to make things like the pickaxe have infinite health? I prefer the way Terraria did things with the tools in that you could use one forever, but they ranged from really weak to being super strong.

If you are looking for multiplayer, I would suggest checking out WilsonSMP over in the private game section.
We got a pretty strong and every growing community, great for new players and lots of server events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Kin posted:

Cool, looking into installing the mods and whatever, then i'll jump on in.

edit: will jumping on a server with mods install those mods into my game or do i have to do it all manually?

All SMP mods (at least on our server) are server side only. You don't need to install anything, but we do suggest Rei's minimap, but that is completely optional. If you have further questions about the server, post in the server's thread, don't want to clutter the main minecraft thread. :)

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Image provided by IAmCorbin

So, big events over at WilsonSMP, we've capped our forty slot server over the past two days as we begin our week long End Of The World event in preparation of resetting the server for 1.8. It has been an absolute blast and we hope that things keep going as well as they have.

Decided to share some of the highlights of the event.

User Fiblah has compiled video of last nights event (Day 1) for us:

Fiblah posted:

End of the World Part 1: Defense of Ironpool
End of the World Part 2: Defending Osiris
End of the World Part 3: Battle in the Arena

I recorded over 1 hour and 45 minutes of footage last night, 152 gb of raw video. It was hard to condense it down to just 3 videos, but I think I got most of the highlights of the night. Unfortunately I wasn't picked to go on the mission back into Ironpool, so I didn't get any video of that.

The last few pages of the thread have tons of compiled pictures and timelines to check out as well.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Beard Yawn posted:

Does anyone here use any of the goon server hosts to run a server? I'm looking to rent a server for a group of friends, and I was leaning toward SMP's, since it looks like the best one. But I'm interested in hearing experiences with any of them!

WilsonSMP uses Minehost for our hosting and have gotten nothing but great service from them. Even with the problems 1.8 SMP seems to be having we are fine averaging 25 players while slow and maxing out 60 easily, we are about to upgrade to an eighty slot server and yet even maxed out the only real lag we experience is from the memory leak issues found in the latest patch.

In short they are incredibly stable, hardware is always top of the line, Huns their developer has hand written their incredible control panel and most of the rest of their server infrastructure and as you can see on their SAmart page, they set you up with your server insanely fast.

AAA service, would buy again.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So the 1.9 pre-release contains snow golems, really bad looking NPCs, Blazes (fire sprites) and their drops Blaze Rods, Magma Cubes, Moosrhooms, netherbrick and netherbrick fences, nether ruins, gold nuggets, ghast tears, nether warts, drip effects for when water/lava is directly above the square overhead, snow biomes are back and swamp biomes have been upgraded with lily pads and darker water?

Nothing to do with the experience system? That is a little lame as I've been running around with so much experience in 1.8 that the bar has disappeared.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Cygni posted:

*makes long rear end list of new stuff in a pre-release*
*complains his particular bone wasn't tickled*

What? No, what was added in 1.9 is good, I like the new mobs and they are pretty interesting. I just wish there was some hint of the level system in this. Not like I was throwing a fit, just would be nice to have a use for exp orbs since I end up with so many of them that when I die it lags the hell out of my game even with the fixes that 1.8.1 introduced and I really want to know what kind of skills they have in mind, that's all. :)

I'm guessing that the gold nugget will be for some kind of interaction with the user, and that the blaze rods and ghast tears may have to do with whatever Notch was talking about a few weeks ago with "upgrading" weapons in place of just adding another material tier.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
drat it, it looks like they decided against the potion system they had and are going to throw the whole cauldron idea out. This is a real bummer as I thought mixing potions was really neat and the differently colored water in the cauldrons would have been great for decorations. Looks like Notch and Jeb are getting a bit of backlash over twitter, hopefully they will reconsider, especially since a mod was made so people could play with the system, it added such a nice touch to the game. Going to be disappointed if the potions use a crafting table.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
If they can streamline viewing what potion you are brewing (tooltip appears when focused on a cauldron for more than a few seconds or maybe left click with a bottle to get potion effects, right click with bottle to fill bottle), that would be great, I'd just rather not lose the cauldron block which is what the tweet seems to suggest. I really hope it is otherwise as a bunch of cauldrons filled with differently colored potions would have made a nice additions to my wizard towers. Here's hoping for the best.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Well, the brewing stand is certainly interesting looking (and I know the model is a work in progress), I'm still currently unsure how this makes knowing what potion you are making easier, unless you use the stand, put in several ingredients, the stand tells you what the result would be and then you confirm if this is what you want, adding two ingredients at time (three jars, two for brewing, third for finale potion).

At the very least it looks like Jeb will still keep the cauldron in, says you can fill it with water still, maybe they can re-purpose it as a storage for large quantities for a potion.

The enchanting table is rather nice looking.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

TalonDemonKing posted:

It sounds like this next update will be huge. Potions; Enchanting; Animal husbandry.

Speaking of, was there any talk about putting in a use for the XP system?

Skill Tree leveling system (expect that to not be out till 1.10, Notch and Jeb have been very quiet on this matter) and Notch says the enchanting table consumes exp.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Stokes posted:

https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/120207632228298753

And I guess people have already figured out what the hieroglyphics mean.

Spoilered in case you want to figure it out yourself.

It is in SGA from Commander Keen. it says
well played internet you are good
These names will be random and confusing
Each spell costs experience levels

Though what is really interesting is that Notch's in game level is displayed on the EXP bar and that the enchanting system doesn't cost exp but rather FULL levels (full bars).

Enzer fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 1, 2011

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Don't have the time to try out PR3 yet, but has anyone noticed any enchantments from the crafting table? I can't find anything on it besides people talking about the glowing wrapper that gets applied.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
^^^^
Getting the portal to actualy open isn't in the game yet, its the "epic thing" Notch and Jeb have been working on for the past day or so, not finished, but getting there.

Zoe posted:

drat it, I've been getting the urge to play multiplayer again for the first time in forever, but on all the goon servers I've looked at everyone is just so good I'm too embarrassed to build my derpy log cabins and farms. :sigh:

No ones going to bitch about your derpy looking log cabins (at least where I play at on WilsonSMP), how the hell are you going to get better with architecture without building with others and asking how they think you can improve? There are a lot of goon servers in the PGS subforums that would welcome you. :)

Enzer fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 7, 2011

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Oh god, run Zoe, run and never stop running! The various servers have got your scent!

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Endermen actually make a lot of sense in a floating sky dimension, what better way to travel between chunks of floating land than with teleportation? I'm also think the skybox is just something temporary he threw up there while working on the Enderdragon.

Honestly though, I like this direction for the "sky dimension", with the release and fanbase of the Aether Mod, there is not much Notch would be able to do that would either make fans: 1) Bitch that the Aether Mod did it better, 2) Bitch that Notch is ripping off the Aether Mod, 3) Bitch that Notch should just implement the Aether Mod or 4) All of the above.

The whole idea of calling it a sky dimension I don't even think came from Notch, but rather the fan base when Notch showed off a picture of terrain generation using old assets. Since we saw floating dirt and stone islands with the regular skybox, which looked a hell of a lot like the highly anticipated and yet to be released Aether mod, people assumed it was an air dimension.

Also, the name for Endermen and The Ender (which is apparently the adopted name for the zone) is making a lot of sense. It is the End, or End game for Minecraft Survival, the final goal and challenge for the player. Think about it, Endermen have just gotten a huge boost in their behavior, health and attack strength, but there are not many in the overworld, but in the Ender there are a ton of them, now we see the first of Minecraft's "mega" or boss mobs being added to this area as well, it is an alien and hostile zone.

Hell, even repairing the gates to this is even a bit of a challenge, a grand adventure in itself. You have to gather resources to venture into the Nether to fight Blazes for blaze rods to make blaze powder, you then need to hunt and kill Endermen in the overworld for Ender Pearls in order to make the Ender Eye item, and you need several of these. Next you have to find a stronghold, conquer it (and remember, those are not even done yet, Jeb has said they will have objectives and bosses) and find a broken gate within, you then have to use the Ender Eyes to repair the gate.

I'm incredibly excited.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

change my name posted:

That dragon looks really ugly....

Seeing as Notch said it was the first renderable point he was able to take a picture of it, that he has stated it would probably take him to the end of the week to finish this mob, that he just altered the code after that screenshot to allow for more complex models and that right now that is the most complex model in the game, I have to disagree. The only thing that looks bad is the wings, which I am sure will change. Otherwise, the model looks like it has been given a ton of articulation, which is a rarity in Minecraft.

EDIT:

Annnnnd, Notch just posted an update on his work, looks great so far.

http://imgur.com/a/59H3o

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah, that is just a rather bad angle on sand, Notch HAS added a new block type though, or at least the texture for it is in the terrain.png file in 1.9RS3, people were guessing limestone or marble (which I would love, need another "stone" block to build large structures with, marble would be amazing for this... Dwarf Fortress has spoiled me on building materials), but its what the ground is made of in the first image of the dragon. Looks a bit odd, like it is underwater and the sun is leaving a rippled lighting effect on the ground.

Looking at the new images of the Enderdragon, I am liking what he is doing with the body, it is proportioned well, tail and neck have great potential for articulation (and since this is a rather major mob, I am hoping that Notch uses them to give it attacks like sweeping its tail across the ground to throw players back or bend the neck around to breath fire on players trying to get behind it... I can dream damnit!), and the wings are looking much better, but I agree with the head looking too much like a beak, but I'm not sure what could really be done to alter it, maybe restructure the upper half so it is larger and slanted instead of a block with a bill attached.

Also, I hope that the method of finding strongholds Jeb is talking about has to do with helping out villagers and them giving you clues to their location when you gained their trust.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 7, 2011

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Looks like default stone texture behind a layer of fog at a great distance away from the viewer combined with crappy picture quality to me. The sand in the upper right matches the block we are talking about though. This feels like that image of the new chests Notch posted a while back where he was holding a block of sand and people thought it was a different block (quicksand) sitting next to the chest.

I'd love to see a new stone block outside of the Enderland's, but I wont be convinced until a clearer picture is taken.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

CaptainPoopsock posted:

Exactly. But it's hard to avoid attacks that sometimes hit you and sometimes don't. It just is not consistent. They are obviously working hard to add lots of great things for future releases. Tightening up combat would be a very welcomed addition to all of this.

Wait, I'm confused, is the issue with hits not seeming to connect/getting hit from far away happening to you on SMP or SSP because I haven't had this issue in either case and if it is SMP you might want to end up blaming the server.

Either way, combat has been incredibly fun since 1.8, you just have to change how you do things and though 1.9 makes it take longer to down enemies, it is still easy. What I usually do is go sprinting at the enemy and do a jump hit on them, this gives me a chance of a critical strike while also throwing the enemy away from me sine I was dashing. If you keep sprinting the enemy has a harder time hitting you and if you feel they are getting to close for comfort, just sprint hit them to throw them away once more. With the changes that have been made to combat I have been finding myself throwing myself at the enemy all the time, even creepers, while pre-1.8 I would always hide and avoid, the changes to armor also make things a lot easier since iron is so abundant and easy to find right off the bat. The only thing I find a challenge in 1.9 are the Endermen, and since they are from the "final" dimension you access, it feels right, they are supposed to be harder.

My guess however is that the numbers for damage and defense will be tweaked just a little bit come 1.9 final release and that they are still trying to find a balance.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Did they sneak PR4 out?

Also,

Jeb on twitter posted:

At today's meeting @notch suggested that should keep doing prereleases all the way to Minecon, so my previous tweet about 1.9 is obsolete :)

Noooo... As neat of an idea as that is, servers waiting for a stable version with Bukkit support would be hosed for another 39 days, not including the time needed for Bukkit to update. Really hoping this just means that 1.9 hits on the 18th and that they still do the code freeze, but release 1.9.1 PreReleases for the bug fixes... they really needed that month of just optimizing and bug fixes before release. :(

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Notch just tweeted this then deleted the tweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehlpLRrwojo

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

LegionAreI posted:

It's possible the Minecon capes are the surprise, a member on a server I play on posted this:

That may have been turned on already and I wasn't paying attention enough though.

Yeah, it has been confirmed that the surprise was the minecon capes. It is neat, but nothing to have gotten so excited about. Something like guardians for the Strongholds (since Jeb said they were supposed to have bosses in them) would be have been neat, wonder if they will still do that, one last hurtle to get to the Gate room.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
^^^
I keep hearing people say this, but I've yet to experience this at all, are you sure it is just not the server's hardware or something client side like lack of memory?

lordfrikk posted:

Dragons are invulnerable right now, so I wonder if they will be killable at all or in what way would you be able to slay them.

I'm hoping that was either a joke or is part of his testing method for the dragon's other abilities (negating blocks it runs into as it is flying). Would be neat if the Ender contained one last tier of weaponry that was needed to kill the dragon, or perhaps another stronghold structure that holds a special enchanting table at the end of it. Lots if interesting things he can go with this and since he is so drat excited about the dragon I am sure Notch will come up with something nonstandard.

Here's another thought. The dragon's invulnerability is granted by several key blocks locked away in the Ender, you have to fight your way to them, destroy said blocks, and the dragon's defenses drop, allowing you to fight it. Up until this point the dragon is passive unless attacked, but the moment you remove the last key block, it becomes hostile and targets in on your location.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 11, 2011

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Nah. It's the feature freeze for 1.9 final, basically. Which wont be out until Minecon a month from now. It'll probably be renamed as 1.0 retail or something. Once that's out, expect more patches with new features like what we've been getting.

edit: And at the very least, anyone who bought during alpha will get free expansions that beta people and later will have to pay for, if they're still going to follow the original pricing model and "pre-order" incentives they laid out well over a year ago. Who knows if they will, a lot of poo poo has changed.

The pricing model for now additions to the game would be such a horrible idea for how the game is now, especially since it seems that the majority of the player base plays in SMP. Seeing as he hasn't mentioned it in ages and the fact that he said that after a vacation following Minecon he was going to work on the next "content patch" instead of calling it DLC, I have a feeling Notch will not be going that route, especially since he seems to be enamored with the old way of game development. Unless the patch completely altered the game on a whole new level instead of adding a new mob or more potions, there is no way in hell I would pay for anything and I could see an issue with the mod community just making "similar yet distinctly different" mods mimicking DLC.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
^^^
It will now!

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Mammal Sauce posted:

Is that a bee house? I want to see a better picture of the bee house :3:

Sorry this took so long to post, not sure what this booth is going to be, but it looks neat! you can see the 3 story maze house in the first two (red and black building) and the tunnel of love in the last one (currently drops you straight down into some horrible cave system, may be intended :P).

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Narciss posted:

I think the introduction of the Nether is where it really started to go downhill; it stopped being about man's struggle against nature in a hostile environment, and more about whatever fantasy stuff Notch felt like throwing at the wall.

Except if you check out Notch's tumblr from about.. I believe its two years ago (maybe someone can find it) he specifically lays out that where Minecraft is today with its "fantasy stuff" and it is more or less what hes got now (sans things like goblin invasions). Kind of wish Notch implemented more of the fantasy rpg game elements sooner or more gradually through the development cycle instead of all at once at the end. Been seeing a lot of these arguments of him "taking the game in the wrong direction" or "ruining the feel of minecraft" because of when hes implemented this.

But the biggest thing I don't get is that a LOT of the newer stuff is purely optional. Don't like the villages? Disable them when you generate a world. Don't like the difficulty of the mobs? Play on a lower setting. Don't care for potions and enchantments? gently caress, just don't build an enchantment table and don't collect the items for the potions. The game is literally not forcing you to do any of this stuff, if you want it to be a plain old building game, then just build.

That is what is so great about Minecraft, everything is so optional that you play to your style.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

Endermen that carry flowers. :3:

One of the first Endermen I encountered on our server was doing this.

:3:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Minrad posted:

I was expecting to see all the ideas Notch used to drum up support for the game. Building a fort with friends because you saw the glow of an incoming lava golem invasion over the horizon. Player vs Player games that would involve moving some object out of the other team's base and back to your's or assaulting each other's fortresses. Dungeons and other content with some form of an end goal, with actual rewards and not a blob of poorly written text.

Now none of those features will likely ever come out. :effort:

Let us have hope that Jeb will do better now that Notch is apparently too busy for minecraft. That and maybe the guy they hired to work on the AI may have some kind of work ethic and might be pulled onto other minecraft related projects.

The thing with Jeb is that you can at least tell he is unhappy with how the game is and he admits that there needs to be things added to round it out. An example would be while he was helping out with NPC villages, he was expressing irritation that furniture or blocks that could be pretended to be furniture were more or less nonexistent, this lead him to acknowledge that yeah, you can build a kick rear end building, but it is going to be empty. He expressed that he wanted to add more furniture, but I have a feeling that between Notch tight control over design and his self imposed deadline, Jeb's hands were tied. So here is to Jeb maybe getting a bit of control and getting the game into better shape.

Also, though a little silly, weekly pre-releases will be good to show that they are working on the game. :v:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Danzou posted:

What bugs are you even talking about? Ever since they got save files to stop randomly deleting, I can't remember the last time I ran into any play ruining bug. I think you guys are picking nits.

Everything Notch wrote about his plans for the game, more or less were what we got. Again, after playing countless hours, any game loses its luster and becomes somewhat of a chore - even Ocarina of Time feels laborious when it's your twelfth play through.

I'm not defending Notch blowing off development for nearly a year, and I'm disappointed at where the game is now. But the first thirty hours playing this game beat the hell out of the thirty hours I'd get out of a fifty dollar title.

Really, I think it is more that Minecraft was well priced while still in Beta. By being in Beta everyone is under the impression that the game was still being majorly worked on. What we got though was a rushed release with a bunch of half functioning features (NPCs, alchemy that was gimped and only uses a few of the programed effects, leveling system that was reduced to enchanting, etc).

Had I been presented Minecraft after release I would not have bought it as I do not feel the game is worth 30$ for something being marketed as "done" (and yes I know the game is still being worked on and developed, but they should have pushed back release until all current features were fleshed out and fully functioning, what release feels like with what was presented was just an excuse to raise the price of the game ).

As for bugs? The minecraft wiki tracks them pretty well and breaks them between actual bugs and "announces" and there are still a ton of bugs in the game. 30 bugs regarding blocks, 15 regarding items, 16 regarding graphics, 15 regarding lighting, 25 regarding mobs, 18 regarding total crashes and corruption, 7 regarding The End, 7 regarding World Gen, 4 regarding wolves, 3 regarding enchanting, 15 regarding sound, 6 regarding Rails and Carts, 17 regarding Creative mode, 30 regarding multiplayer (there is a LOT wrong with multiplayer and anyone running a server will tell you how player inventory is saved is retarded), 2 bugs for water and lava, 30 game play bugs, and 2 bugs in the launcher.

I know games have bugs in them sometimes when they are released, but 242 bugs, most of them critical and having been around for a looooong time, seems a tad much. This isn't even including glitches that are more annoyances than bugs.

Then you add on top of the fact that Notch has been making excuses of late about why the game is so buggy. It is a bit disheartening when the developer of a game decides not to fix poo poo or improve things (mob ai for example) because he thinks that having a dumbed down buggy experience is what gives minecraft its character and draw. No, it doesn't.

I guess what I am saying is that just because I play minecraft a lot, does not mean I think it is worth 30. I play a lot of free games for just as long. Really, I personally only play multiplayer and I play for the interactions between users, or the crazy events admins run. It is not the gameplay generated by minecraft that I enjoy, it is the gameplay made by the people I play with (either through mods that fix what the game is lacking or by the creativity of the admins actually giving the player base something to do after 30 hours or gathering resources and building cities).

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Ugh, why the gently caress are they giving us stuff we've wanted since forever? It's only going to screw up my mods. :bang:

Think the whole issue is that there isn't much in this patch to really justify having the entire modding community grind to a halt. I would hazard a guess that the majority of Minecraft users play modded minecraft. Now, outside of SSP mods, we have SMP issues as well, every time Minecraft updates, Bukkit breaks and needs to be updated which can take anywhere between a few days to a few weeks (more often weeks). The issue with that is without bukkit and bukkit mods, it is hard to have any kind of anti-grief control and some mods can can take weeks to months to update for bukkit. That is a lot of frustration for regrowing wool, minor bug fixes and enchantable bows.

I'm not saying that Minecraft shouldn't update, what I am saying is that Jeb should have held off a bit longer on this update, fleshed out what it gave and perhaps released it with the the modding API which is supposed to be out in March. That way when the patch breaks all the mods, the mod community will be able to use the new modding API so that patches will be less likely to break them from then on. With the way things did happen, however, what we are going to see is that mods slowly begin making progress to being able to update and then the modding API is going to come out and we will be back to square one all over again.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

I'd agree, except since the option to ignore updates was added you have the option to keep playing with your modded setup all you like. I mean maybe you won't get more updates for this particular version, but that's hardly a reason to stop official updates.

I don't think there's anything to support this.

True, but what has happened before is that a mod may have updated with some bugs, a patch would come out and then you'd be waiting a rather long time for the mod to be updated. Yes, that is more on the modder's fault, however I still believe that minecraft patches could have been handled a little better, especially since Jeb is more in touch with the modding community then Notch ever was, just seems an odd time to release a patch with not much content to it, not saying that patches should stop all together.

Guess what I am getting at is that since Jeb is doing weekly snapshots of future patches, if you wanted to play with all the new poo poo, use that until you had a lengthy list of items in the update. Really this is only an issue right now and will no longer be when the modding API comes out, so why not wait till then?

As for your second bit, why I said I was hazarding a guess, don't know why you are poking at that comment. It is just my opinion that with the popularity of such mods like Optifine, TMI/NEI and bukkit servers, I think that there would be a great deal of users who play minecraft in some modded fashion.

VVVV

Really I do not think how big the patch is really effects how long it takes Bukkit to update as the whole issue is is that the drat code gets obfuscated every time there is a patch.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 12, 2012

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Wool regrowth on sheep, for one.

Yes, but really that has only been an issue since 1.8 when sheep no longer spawned infinity(or at least spawned at a rate you could easily just find new ones).

But the others?
-Bow Enchantments: Neat, but it doesn't seem that any new enchantments were added for bows, just the regular ones from swords. Bit disappointing as there could have been a lot of neat effects: explosive, lightning, torch, rope.
-Golden Apples: Nice to see the price reduced, but with how rare apples are dropped, it is still better to use health pots.
-New Languages: Nice for the non English speakers, could have been implemented without breaking mods.
-Biome color transitions: Having taken a look at this, I am disappointed, the blending is only 3 blocks at most from what I've seen and depending on the biome layout, it creates odd terrain spotting.
-Spawn Eggs: Not sure why a whole new method of spawning mobs had to be added, could have given old spawners in creative and maybe fixed them for SMP while working on the code. Seems like this is just a reference to a joke Notch made about making all mobs lay eggs.
-Removed collision box from ladders: Still not sure why this was an issue, but whatever.

Really, this release was really kind of weak, especially for being the first patch after release.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Yes, people have been asking for a lot of things, but sheep not regrowing wool hasn't been more than an inconvenience SINCE 1.8, before then it was a bit bothersome, but you were drowning in mobs then.

Whatever, I think this patch is silly, poorly timed and low effort, not gonna argue about it anymore. :v:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah, and what about people who play on multiplayer servers but still want updates?

Then their server downloads the server snapshot?
But I really don't understand why they would because either way, snapshot or patch, they wont have bukkit and thus no way of protecting their servers.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Dude's crazy.

No, dude was probably sane enough to realize that working under Notch may not be the best thing.

God forbid Notch hires someone who is a workaholic, think of the conversations that would arise when Notch starts throwing a tantrum over his mandatory company game time. :v:

I mean, just look at what they have for the top five reasons why you should work for Mojang.

5) We’re less serious than many other companies. We rely on having a pool of talent rather than long discussions, and make decisions very organically and spontaneously. (We don't plan poo poo, we just throw half thought ideas and features and hope the pile doesn't fall over)

4) We encourage people at Mojang to speak publicly about what they do and have a personal connection with the players. (Even if it causes massive drama, also note that we don't have an actual PR person, just a girl who baked a cake that was hired as "Director of 'Fun'")

3) Tobias Möllstam (What)

2) We have mandatory gaming Friday afternoons. Working after lunch on Fridays is frowned upon. (Having a laid back attitude in the office can be nice, but saying that working is frowned upon? Seriously?)

1) Mojang’s mission statement is “Mojang shall be the most influential indie game development studio on Earth”, and we intend to live up to that. I kid you not. (OK, mission statements mean jack poo poo, why is this considered your NUMBER ONE reason to apply?)

This is a company that will fall apart (or dissolve when Notch has to decide between working at a loss or keeping his money) in a few years, Minecraft's popularity will one day wane and with the work ethic we've seen so far I have doubts that Mojang is going to make another smash hit. I mean, Cobalt isn't even Mojang's game, and the next Mojang title is a card battle game. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought the whole virtual card battle fad had long since passed. Everything else released so far is all Minecraft related what with Minecraft Pocket and Notch thinking about developing Minicraft into something more robust.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Which is sad because they REALLY do have some talented folks on board. If Notch was just a regular level employee and they had someone who knew how to... give direction I guess would be a good way of putting it, actually knew how to run things and giving structure to the team, the company would do fine. Unfortunately that isn't the case and I have a feeling it is because Notch is still clinging to this sense of wanting to be an "Indie" game developer while still having a multimillion dollar company.

Notch needs to hire someone who can direct the team and give it structure, step down a little and really take this:

Word of Notch posted:

When doing a programming test for a large US based game developer, I did well on most tests. After the programming test, they told me it was obvious that I was intelligent, but also that I was self-taught. I had to work on programming more carefully and think things through before diving in, or I’d have a hard time working in a large group. Externally, I nodded politely. Internally, I was stunned and confused.

To heart and maybe take some side classes, broaden what code he is proffecient at (so we can move away from Java maybe, Minecraft Pocket was written by Jeb in C++) and maybe get to the point where he can work better with others because everyone is using similar coding methods. I mean, watching Notch code on one of his live streams is migraine inducing and I feel sorry for Jeb having to comb through Minecraft's code now and sort it all out.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

Why is Minecraft Pocket written in C++ when Android does Java?

Many reasons. Besides the issue between java and the iPhone, a few are:

-Minecraft Pocket is a limited creative mode, but is now being patched to be more like the PC survival mode, so initially it did not need a lot of the code minecraft PC had.

-Jeb was the one who coded Minecraft Pocket, I believe Jeb is more proficient in C++ (probably the same for the guys maintaining the code now) while Notch is really only good working with Java, you don't see Notch touching other coding languages often at all.

-Minecraft PC has very little optimization, still has a ton of memory leaks and has a lot of what I would describe as bloated code. To get this to run on a phone it had to be recoded anyway and C++ is a much more stable language to work with.

PalmTreeFun posted:

They'd kind of have to release the API alongside it too, because you can't reverse-compile a C++ program anywhere near as easily as Java. That is, you'd kill all modding except for texture packs, basically.

It also wouldn't improve much because Minecraft's problem is that Notch is apparently self-taught and has no idea how to properly optimize the game, and all the dumb, inefficient code in Minecraft now would probably carry over unless someone else took a long, hard look through everything and changed it as they rebuilt it.

That is the beauty of it though, Notch doesn't do C++ as far as I am aware and Jeb did all the code for Minecraft Pocket, literally rebuilding everything from scratch, the code for Pocket is SO much cleaner. Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that Jeb has probably put too much work into the Modding API and that Notch would never allow it, I would love for Jeb to just take a few months, pull up the original Pocket code and finish it so that it has all of the current 1.1 features into it, get a competent modding API set up (because the current way of doing things is retarded) and then just moving on from there, hell it would make adding more game features to the Pocket edition that much easier and hell, you know for sure that the guys making the 360 version are probably ripping out their hair trying to recode Minecraft as well.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 16, 2012

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

PalmTreeFun posted:

The worst part about it is that it's not like dumb slap-yourself-on-the-forehead poo poo. It's like, oh yeah let's glBegin glEnd every character drawn to the screen for text in multiplayer, and let's do the same for each cube used for the models in the game. What's a VBO? How do I OpenGL? :saddowns:

That's just on the display end of things. I don't even wanna know how bad the world handling and physics code is, looking at all the weird batshit insane glitches carts and redstone have.

Oh god, when I found out how he has signs coded, I thought a bit of my brain died. I don't understand how someone could write some of this poo poo, step back and go "Yep, that's good" and then go on his marry way.

Watching him code is horrible, he mass copies bits of his code and tweaks it slightly for different things, but you end up with a lot of redundant code or stupid things like when giving dimensions of a cube instead of just giving, say "h=50" he has it do something like "h=2*25", he'll then have that line run for width and length and then use that same method for anything that needs dimensions, all those small calculations begin to add up and that is why his drat code is so bloated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Jamesman posted:

Is pathfinding something that we actually need or want in the game, though?

Just give us more items please.

The work being done on improving AI capacity for the current mobs will allow new mobs to be more interesting in what they are able to do. The AI guy is doing things the smart way instead of just leaving Notch's old AI code and slapping new code on top and making every new mob use that. With simple things like pathing the Ender Dragon fight could be improved because it would be able to better go after you (also needs more kinds of attacks).

Improved AI of mobs also gives a reason finally to actually look at combat and go "OK, this definitely needs to be improved". So hopefully we will see improvements there as well. Like maybe better block/actual shields, changed sword hit detection, new weapon types, etc.

Before we get new items though (at least physically placable items), Jeb needs to sort the code out to be able to increase the number Block IDs without having Java consume more ram than it already does, which probably means redoing how Minecraft even stores Block IDs. Jeb also needs to take a page out of Eloraam's book about how to store a ton of items to the same block ID.