Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
New water physics for 1.13 might need to be rethought a little. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D29W7RP53Ew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Joking aside, the new changes they showed off for water in today's snapshot is pretty nice.

Water can now occupy non-solid block spaces (slabs, stairs, iron grates, fence posts, chests with more on the way). Be default, water doesn't naturally flow into these spaces and must instead be placed there with a water bucket or the block must be placed into an existing water block., this was done to not ruin old build designs and to keep certain builds that require things like sign/water interactions functional.

When a water source block shares the same space as a non-solid block, that block is considered to be a full source block of water. The weird interaction you see in the video I posted is that when the non-solid block part is moved, it moves the water block with it (unsure as of yet if this is intended or not).

--

Phantoms have also gotten a new model and texture, they look much better and not garbage.

I'm really liking what they have done with oceans, the ambient sounds really add a lot. Now they need to work on caves/underground areas and the nether.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzI4Eqhm9yw

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Buttcoin purse posted:

Yeah, hopefully grinders won't be broken after all, it's a miracle!

Today's snap shot allowed water blocks to occupy things like trapdoors, signs and ladders, but you have to manually apply buckets of water to them for them to share the same space, otherwise they act like they do currently, so yep, nothing broken confirmed.

As a side effect of being able to combine water sources with trapdoors, you can now make a flowing water gate without pistons (seen here).

Also, apparently a new bug allows dispensers with empty buckets to delete "waterlogged" (apparently that is the official term) blocks.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
It's 3am and I am tired as hell, have a video where I ramble about poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLYwaS9eOH0

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So no one has mentioned the oddest thing added this snapshot: The Conduit.

Video of it in motion, I'd embed it, but I can't seem to not make it gently caress huge on SA.
https://gfycat.com/HiddenWelloffKilldeer

The Conduit is a new block that is made of Nautilus Shells (a new fishing drop) and something called a Heart of the Sea (unsure on how this acquired yet).

Nautilus Shells and Heart of the Sea look like this:

Deactivated Conduits look like this:

When submerged underwater and surrounded by a ring of at least 16 blocks of any type of Prismarine, the Conduit will activate and start animating as seen in the webm linked at the top.

While activated, the conduit gives off a light level of 15 and acts sort of like the old Beacon/Monument in that within a certain radius (Distance=Prismarine Blocks/7*16 with a max of 42 blocks for a range of 96 meters) it will give players the Conduit Buff, which gives players infinite breath, increased swimming speed and underwater night vision (this snapshot made night vision no longer work underwater and vision clarity in general works differently underwater in 1.13).

When fully powered up, any hostile mob that wanders into the Conduit's range of influence will start to take 4 damage every 2 seconds. A fully powered Conduit structure looks like this:

Honestly this is kind of cool, it makes underwater bases and builds a lot more interesting if you had a few of these strewn around (and with the design of the structure and the fact that it can be any prismarine block makes it not too much a pain in the rear end to incorporate) and I really dig the fact that it attacks hostile mobs. However it seems just a bit too limiting to be very useful: Requires materials only really found at Underwater Temples, needs to be fully submerged in water, limited utility on land, max range feels a tad small. There is also the issue that there is no in game way to obtain the Heart of the Sea item. It should be noted that when this item was found unimplemented in the code last week, the texture for it looked like a blue open eye, now the texture is more resembles a blue closed eye, so there is talk that this might be either a drop from a new boss mob or something that the Elder Guardian drops, though the colors don't really match up.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Lorini posted:

In the latest snapshot the lava in my game looks literally like poo poo

Is a problem on my end or theirs? Anyone else have this happen?

It is a bug that resulted because of the new water biome tinting thing they just implemented.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Could you submerge the conduit in "tanks" of water around a land base to have some sort of passive defense system that lights things up and attacks mobs? If so that seems pretty big.

Apparently the minimum requirements to activate is:

To activate, a conduit needs at least 16 prismarine, sea lanterns, or prismarine bricks 2 blocks away on the same X, Y or Z plane. It also needs to be in the center of a 3x3x3 cube of water sources or flowing water.

This is a viable set up for a conduit.

So assuming you were just wanting it for mob protection, then yeah it works great. Kind of wish the haste and night vision effects could be used above water though, at least it is not *completely* useless though and having an auto-defense for bases is pretty big.

Lorini posted:

I think I'll stop playing until they fix it, ugh. Thanks for the information.

They'll either release a snapshot B this week with a fix or if no will be fixed in next week's snapshot. Should be noted that all snapshots are probably going to contain some kind of super dumb bug.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

wyoming posted:

I hope conduits/lighting up the ocean floor stops drowned from spawning, because holy poo poo when you get multiples with tridents coming after you.

Also a super cool thing you can do now is is swim through 1 tall tunnels.
Definitely gonna set up a pipe system for fast transport.

Yeah, I've seen some people use trapdoors to make neat water pipe transport systems.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Mojang made a comment on the whole Skin issue.

Mojang Blog posted:

Minecraft: Java Edition Skins Issue Update

A clarification on the skin downloads issue

Yesterday, you may have read a few stories from other sites about an issue with downloaded Minecraft: Java Edition skins, with concerns that this could lead to viruses on your PC.

This is now resolved, but we wanted to explain what happened and the measures we’ve put in place to protect our community.

Any Minecraft: Java Edition player can upload their own custom skin in the widely-used PNG file format to our webservice at minecraft.net and this will then appear on their character in-game. PNG files can contain things other than an image, such as metadata, which includes information on what tool created it, when it was made, who made it, etc. This meant that PNG files could be created containing code in this inert part of the skin file. However, this code would not be run or read by the game itself.

While your antivirus software might detect this code and alert you to its presence, the code would not be able to run by itself. Additionally, even if you found the code within the file and chose to run it, your antivirus software should detect and block the attempt.

To further protect our players, however, we deployed an update that strips out all the information from uploaded skin files other than the actual image data itself.

Thank you for bearing with us and we hope this clears things up! If you encounter any other issues, please use Mojang Support

Also, new snapshot adds a new World Type called "Buffet Worlds" which allows you to create single biome worlds and what type of world design it uses (Overworld and End). Apparently this will be expanded with other features in the future. it is neat though it that it does allow for easy to generate Sky Island type worlds.

Also, at this convention that Dinnerbone and some newer Dev attended at Dublin, they stated that regardless of whatever theme they decide for 1.14 (not the 1.13 patch in current development), they plan on adding "lots and lots of new slabs/stairs/etc. We don't have nearly enough." so its good to see them finally, after years and years, committing to expanding the options of slabs and stairs.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
As a heads up for those playing across the snapshots, wait until the "B" snapshot comes out for this week. The current snapshot "wipes" worlds from older snapshots/patches due to some large changes in biomes. This will be fixed apparently in the next snapshot:

Pro Mobius posted:

If you can hold until tomorrow, 18w19b will be able to open all the worlds without wiping them. Sorry for the stress generated.

Also I've heard complaints of a bug that causes tools to work once before breaking.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

Also didn't they give everyone who supported it a key to a different game instead? Also they do a huge charity thing every Christmas that raises a different chunk of money, so they have always managed to stay relevant and do some good. I actually remembered that I do quite enjoy their Civilization stuff on youtube as well.

Magmarashi posted:

Yeah, TUG, 'The Un-named Game'

I feel like there was a definitely large enough gap of time between Yogscast Game and 'poo poo, we got owned' that their viewerbase grew beyond the backlash. Enough new viewers that had no skin in the game's bungling that it didn't matter if those that did bailed.

And last time I checked, TUG had something like two failed starts where they started from scratch and then the Dev team went *completely* silent somewhere around October of 2017.

This reminds me of Sticks and Starships, which was also first mentioned in this thread in 2014, that when completely no where after its first trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_sEmNT308Y

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Boundless not too long ago actually made it out of of early access which is rare for this genre, however it suffers from a lot of design issues:

-The game runs on a company controlled server. The game itself is made from a ton of different looking randomly generated worlds that can be linked together via portal gates, however all of these worlds are a shared world space with other players. Currently there is no single player or private server options, so if the company ever shuts down the servers or does a wipe, everything is gone, which is an issue since the game is 39.99 USD. The devs have stated that at some point they are going to release the ability to rent private official servers and have the option for self hosted servers, but they have not stated when these options will be available and I got the feeling it has to do with the next bit.

-While I assume this was added as a means to pay for server cost, this game has micro-transactions. While you can apparently slowly earn the shop currency in game (you gain a few every time you level up, someone did the math before the game left EA and came up that by reaching level 50 you'd earn 8,940 of the premium currency, with the most expensive item in the store costing 2,400), I've seen debate on whether or not it is at a rate to be able to play the game casually. By this I mean that one of the more important aspects of the game is locked behind micro-transactions. Early in the beginning tutorial, the game tells you that while you can build anywhere, as it is an always online MMO, people can also come along and wreck your poo poo, unless you have a Plot. Plots cost IRL bought currency to buy and the game gives you enough of this game currency to buy one of the smallest plot types as part of the tutorial. In addition to that, behind the paywall we have: Additional Character Slots, Buy-able Skill Sets (apparently there is a level cap of 50 and there is not enough skill points to unlock all skill trees, so you either need to buy a new character slot and level a new character that is trained in the skills you did't invest in on your main, or you buy this to allow yourself to over level your skills or some such nonsense), Appearance Change, Full Skill Reset, and something called "Skill Cleanse Points".

-The game does not have a high enough user base to justify being an always online MMO. Every showcase video I've seen shows barren empty worlds with one large, usually ugly, settlement that has a million portals just randomly linking to more empty settlements on other barren worlds. I've yet to see anything close to what they show off in their trailers.

Game had a lot of potential but is now a garbage shitshow, I'm unsure if a free option to host your own personal servers and tweak game settings to overwrite the microtransactions can really save it at this point. I honestly I doubt the private personal server option wont go live till when the game is more or less declared dead already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuyBX_PZf5g

Enzer fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 3, 2018

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Fortis posted:

I'm dicking around with the new snapshot (I keep a personal copy of Painterly up to date so I was seeing what's new) and do we know if the crossbows are supposed to be inferior to bows in every way or is the damage formula still a work in progress?

I haven't had time to mess around with it, but I'm fairly sure the goal with crossbows is that they are supposed to fire straight with little to zero drop in bolt flight, additionally they are apparently set up so you can load the bolt and then switch to something else, so you can pull and immediately fire when you need it.

According to the patch notes crossbows "Shoots arrows with base power slightly higher than the bow, but less durability", so maybe the damage formula isn't quite right (not surprising for the first snapshot).

Crossbows seem to really shine (like the Trident) with enchantments.

Multishot (I)
Fires two additional bolts to the left and right of the main bolt when you fire your crossbow. Cannot be combined with Piercing

Piercing (I, II, III, IV)
Allows bolts to travel through mobs, hitting any mobs behind the target. Number of mobs the bolt can damage and pass through is equal to the enhancement level plus 1 (for a max of 5 mobs at max level). Cannot be combined with Multishot.

Quick Charge (I, II, III)
Each level of quick charge decreases the amount of time it takes to fully charge your crossbow by .25 seconds

I assume that on top of these 3 enchantments, crossbows can be enchanted with things like Power and Infinity.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Fortis posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I guess we'll see how it pans out in the next few snapshots. The enchantments are pretty great, although I'm still not sure what the point of being able to shoot fireworks is. I was hoping they'd act like bomb arrows but it doesn't seem that firework explosions do much damage. :sigh:

Edit: For anyone who was interested in my personal, 1.13 (and 1.14 snapshot!) compatible version of :wooper:Painterly:wooper:, I've updated it to remove some of the more egregious custom poo poo I did (notably I put the diamond color back to the original Painterly pale blue instead of electric teal), plus I discovered a stolen elytra texture I put in that wasn't from kas, which I've replaced. You can grab it here: http://zantetsuken.com/minecraft/1.13/%5b1.13+%5d%20Painterly%20-%20Fortis%27s%20Mix.zip

Some of the carpet CTM patterns are taken from the mod Chisel, otherwise this is all assets from the Painterly site.

It might have just been a For Fun feature (firing rockets at people could potentially be funny), but it looks like two fireworks deal enough damage to kill a creeper (even if it has a large splash size I highly doubt it would justify all the gunpowder needed..).

https://gfycat.com/IdlePoorElephantbeetle

Guy who posted that suggested being able to use them as traps, which I can see being useful if you are being hounded by a large number of mobs and can get them to path through a choke point.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 25, 2018

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So snapshot just got released, doesn't exactly add much in terms of functional features, however Mojang has decided to tease a bit by adding 10 new blocks, 8 of which seeming to be new crafting tables.

• Barrel
  • Smoker
  • Blast Furnace
  • Cartography Table
  • Fletching Table
  • Grindstone
  • Lectern (if this goes by the original concept from... seven or so years ago, it is purely for being able to store a book in a method that allows multiple people to read it at once, but who knows)
  • Smithing Table
  • Stonecutter
  • Bell

Also they have split up tamed cats and ocelots into separate mobs. Ocelots can no longer be tamed, but apparently will not run from you if you feed them fish. New mob called stray cat has been added (assuming these spawn around villages), they can be tamed into cats that will sometimes give you a gift in the morning. Additional cat textures have been added, tamed cat collars can be dyed like a dog's. Also, for those who dislike Phantoms, like the Creeper, Phantoms are terrified of cats and avoid where they are.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

FPzero posted:

As nice as those blocks look, it's going to be kind of a pain to have to fit eight new crafting stations into your houses if they've made certain recipes uncraftable at the normal crafting tables/furnaces.

My guess is things like the Cartography block is going to be similar to what they did with the Loom last snapshot, a specialized GUI for working with maps. Dinnerbone was quoted a while ago as saying "We are trying to move all "complex" recipes out of the crating table and into a specialized mechanic, as it's basically impossible to teach players about banner patterns or firework charges."

Smoker is probably a furnace that is used for foods only, that is fairly easy to place. Things like the Grindstone are purely dependent on what they actually do: does it give a buff to attack at the cost of durability? If it is nothing too important you might not even need it. Barrels are the same way, is this just an alternative to a chest, is it for mass storing of potions, are they added some form of brewing (can't really imagine Mojang adding booze), so that can probably be tossed out. Blast Furnace and Smithing Table have me raising an eyebrow, are we getting new ores, does the Blast Furnace just smelt more items at once, is the Blast Furnace just a full replacement for the original Furnace, is armor and sword crafting getting its own GUI for the Smithing Table? Fletching Table has me a bit confused unless they are adding new arrow types (which they might since we are getting crossbows in this patch).

Really I guess it depends on how big you build your base. Personally I tend to build separate rooms for everything: This is for bulk storage, this is a kitchen, this is where I do my smithing, this is where I do crafting for whatever building project I'm on, etc etc etc. Then again, I'm the kind of guy who doesn't mind having multiblock structures in their base as long as it looks nice.

Honestly I'm all in favor of Mojang making their game a bit more engaging outside the bog standard 3x3 grid (the Loom for example is a vast improvement over how banners are currently made), but it also really comes down to who those all work and hopefully they will be functional next week, or at least some of them.

There is also speculation that this is also tied into the new villagers we are getting with this update, since all of them have specific jobs and specialized looks to go with them, it would make sense for the Smith to have a grindstone and a blast furnace to decorate and I believe a new village structure is a church, so a bell (especially if it rung during Pillager invasions and attracted villagers to it) makes sense as well.

Left to Right in these images (Jungle and Taiga villagers):
Top Row - Librarian, Butcher, Cleric, Cartographer, Leatherworker and Fletcher.
Bottom Row - Shepherd, Farmer, Fisher, Armorer, Toolsmith and Weaponsmith.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 31, 2018

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

7c Nickel posted:

New Hytale post.

https://hytale.com/news/2019/1/take-a-closer-look-at-hytale-model-maker

The tools they're going to be releasing with the game look really drat good. I'm sure some jackass is going to miss the point and try to model a boob out of 50 individual cuboids though.

So this is the kind of poo poo I am super interested in in regards to Hytale. Currently, to make models for MC I use a program called Cubik Studio, which while nice, has a long list of (somewhat personal I admit) issues. So the idea of a game developer essentially handing out the same tools they use is pretty cool in my book.

Also, I hope the Hytale doesn't have the garbage restrictions that MC does with its JSON model format. For those not in the know, I couldn't say, make a cube that stood up on a single corner or any shape that requires too much rotation of an element as Mojang set in limitations against being able to rotate a block on more than one axis and it is one of the single most infuriating things. Of course, you could make the model into as an OBJ and use Forge to implement the model if it was for a mod, but if you are trying to tweak the model for a vanilla block, it *has* to be a JSON file.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
It should also be noted that they have been hiring new devs for the Mojang/Java team, one of them was presenting stuff for the Caves and Cliff update and used to be a dev for the Aether Mod.

From the sound of it, it looks like their current cycle is based around figuring out everything they want to add for a new update, this apparently includes creating concept art to be sent off to their artists for new models and textures and then coding everything. I'd rather they take their time making a good update instead of trying to cram out something fast but lackluster.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Trojan Kaiju posted:

You would have to go somewhere previously unloaded to get new terrain generation. You shouldn't need to start a new map though.

Might depend on this new update though, if they decide to go with the cubic chunk stuff they experimented last update, since snippets of what they were showing off made the underground look *much* deeper than the current world generation has.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
This is honestly one of the main reasons they are postponing the second half of the Update (outside major things like the Warden not even been in any snapshots, a bunch of the deep dark or whatever they are calling it layer being hazy in what it will be finalized as and the fact that they haven't even started on the archeology stuff) is that they want to not rush their solution to meshing the new world size with the old world size for older maps.

My personal idea is that chunks bordering new world size chunks get are flagged as such and use a kind of "cavern cliff" variant of the underground where they just step the bedrock down a little bit (sheer drop of like 10 blocks or something) each chunk like cascading waterfalls until it hits the new world depth. Surface should be fine since they just raised the roof and lowered the basement and so things like sea level is the same.. just gotta make sure that no super tall mountains sudden explode upward at the border.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Potsticker posted:

I just can't believe that 1.18 is going to turn out to be what-- new terrain generation and the mob spawning changes and that's like-- it? Also the new invisible light block I guess.

Starting a hype train for 1.19 when the last two updates have been handled the way they were just makes me wonder how they expect people to be excited when they are making a habit of under delivering by a wide margin. The really crappy mob vote aside, like what happened to all the new biome stuff that was voted on before? That wasn't a "two things get dumpstered and we only do the winner" vote. Why isn't that being added in to 1.18 if the Archeology and Warden/Deep Dark stuff wasn't happening? At least then maybe 1.18 wouldn't have the least content ever for a major release.

Because the terrain changes have become a lot larger than they initially planned for. They actually covered this during the stream, but originally Caves and Cliffs was just going to be newer cave generation, with an extra deeper cave system (Deep Dark) and taller mountains, however the above ground changes have evolved to affecting most of the biomes, they've been pushing out an absolute ton of experimental snapshots for biome generation for months now to get community feedback to make sure things are to the public's liking - besides taller mountains you have better mesas, changes to desserts, changes to beach generation, changes to river generation, etc etc. World gen looks a ton better than it has since the game launched. The biome votes, like the mob votes, have always been publicly stated as "We will work on what gets voted for immediately, the ones that don't win do not get thrown away but are shelved to be reviewed at a later point." Ultimately, archeology and the Deep Dark got pushed back so that they could focus on making the terrain changes not only worth it (because lets be frank, this is a major overhaul and if there is ever going to be a time that Mojang is going to actually tune up the generation it would be now while they are already doing major redesigns), but trying to make the world seams for people who refuse to give up older worlds has been a massive headache (how do you deal with the world suddenly being much deeper when world borders are not a straight line of chunks). Looking at the last biome vote, Mountains won out and all suggested features are still coming to 1.17/.18, 2nd place was Swamps and we are getting those features for 1.19, Badland update is probably very low on priority because it only had 14% of the vote. It doesn't make sense to ask for them to delay 1.18 even further when that just pushes back content even further.

Speaking of Deep Dark and Archeology, I am actually super happy that they got pushed back because it has allowed the design half of the team to actually flesh out those concepts. The Deep Dark was originally going to be spooky caves with the Warden stomping about, they stated that what got showed off during the stream (the ruined cities, the new shulk blocks) where things they've gotten to design that are new to the concept, they have also mentioned they are working on unique things to find in those cities that makes getting to and risking exploring them worth it. Additionally the guy heading off Archeology has been very apologetic about things on twitter, explaining some of the issues they have been having to deal with with the lighting overhaul (which, frankly, I don't think gets enough love, lighting in 1.18 is so much better and makes city building a lot nicer without having plaster torches on every surface), but the guy has been absolutely giddy with excitement over the things they have planned for archeology. So yes, 100% delay that poo poo I say if it means those features get fleshed out and we don't get another half assed implemented system - I'm looking at you potions, minecarts and all these new crafting stations that still don't do anything.

Like, don't get me wrong, Mojang is a poo poo company and Minecraft has a lot of bad design flaws or just poor and lazily implemented features, but your complaints seem a bit eh when the devs have been very public with why things are getting delayed and have been engaging with the community to try and get things right. I mean, you can tell that the devs didn't want to delay Cliffs & Caves and thought that splitting the update would allow players to at least get to use newer stuff sooner instead of waiting a year plus on all features, you could even see how uncomfortable they were when they did the announcement video (and to be fair, I don't blame them with how utterly toxic the gamers can be at times).

:shrug:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Potsticker posted:

I was following the experimental snapshots and it was exciting to see, but that's just one facet and part of the team, no? And we are getting some new biomes with that, or at least some renames and stratification. No new blocks or mobs or anything, but the height and density generation being different between similar ones.

I guess I did miss what the news was on the bundle. Has that been pushed back as well because that along with the mob spawning changes that at least will make a significant change to how the vanilla survival game is played. Still, even if you're of the mind the lack of additional features is fine due to devs feeling bad or uncomfortable that's just where we're going to have to disagree, which is fine. I totally understand where you're coming from. I feel I've been pretty supportive in the past and this has just been a sequence of updates that feel like, when paired with the announcement to please be excited for future stuff, that I just cannot get excited and feel some resentment at feeling like we're being told to ignore the issues and just continue being excited for new future things.

I think a big issue is that when things get announced at Minecon, most of that stuff is just Proof of Concept, like they make mockups and nice looking concept art, but beyond just a vague "this is what we would like to do" the design team actually hasn't fully fleshed out content for the update, let alone nailed down exact implementation and mechanics. So you see a lot of feature creep but also things take a long while to get to the point where they actually are coding something, which certainly sucks because it means they do not have a definitive timetable on things and you run into issues we are seeing with this patch where they spent so long figuring out just what they wanted to do that by the time they actually started to implement things and realized the technical hurdles they would have to deal with, most of the year was already gone (though I guess we could address the elephant in the room where I have no clue how Covid has affected their work schedule, I know Dinnerbone hasn't been in the office in a very long while and I have no idea how Mojang handled working from home outside of "probably not well"). One of my biggest complaints about the team is that, while they have expanded it recently to include more artist and concept designers, the directors - Agnes and I suppose Jens still, while nice people don't seem to be very good at.. directing and managing their team, tbh.

As for Bundles, while the wiki states that Ulraf (the dev heading off Archeology) said on the 16th that bundles are getting pushed back, there is no source to that and I cannot see where he might have posted such (not on his twitter and not on reddit). Bundles are in 1.18's snapshots, they just have to be gotten through commands, so no clue what is up with that unless they are thinking of a redesign (which it seems a lot of stuff is going through).

KingBDogz has been talking today on twitter about the Deep Dark push back if you are interested to hear his own words, guy seems pretty open on responding to people as well.

https://twitter.com/kingbdogz/status/1449695759906054144

Also, for those who are unaware of 1.18's lighting changes, this tweet shows off the difference between 1.17 and 1.18's light sources.

https://twitter.com/cubfan135/status/1415009940322889733?s=20

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Khanstant posted:

what do they mean by "community accepting it." Did we have an option to have them just release the content as-is and expand it later cause otherwise you either accept it.... or you refuse to accept it which changes nothing in any appreciable way to such a degree that it probably doesn't really qualify as non-acceptance.

I assume they mean "thank you for not sending our team death threats over a video game".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Its also a major step back in functions and aesthetics that they showcased back in 2020.

Time stamped the original announcement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBvZ2Iqmm3M&t=2164s

Mostly I am disappointed that the pots look really basic now, one of the devs asked for input on twitter a few days ago and I replied with this image showing that, outside of the pots that have designs on the side (which is not every pot), they were indistinguishable from terracotta blocks with flower pots placed on top.

vs

And while the original pots they showed off could have used some love, if I can recreate the new decorative item with stuff that is incredibly common and easy to obtain, why would I bother messing with tracking down part shards.

Other stuff I'm grouching about is that the recipe for the brush (a carry over texture from the original showcase) doesn't really fit and everyone was expecting it would be made from feathers and a copper ingot, giving something new to spend on both items that otherwise have limited use. Also hoping that we see it not just being limited to desert temples - suspicious dirt blocks located out around jungle temples would be be a neat edition and you could easily make an equivalent for, say End Cities and Bastions in the Nether, though at this point I'd rather the End get a major overhaul like the Nether got.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 19, 2023