Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

ThndrShk2k posted:

Notch did it for Molyneux as far as I knew.

I know that was just because Notch is a fan of Molyneux, but whenever someone brings this up I like to picture Peter Molyneux as some kind of malevolent spirit who does nothing but give bad ideas to game designers who are forced to implement them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Ferroque posted:

One time I dug a big bedrock hole. Never again.

Everyone does this at least once. It's a right of passage.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Arkitektbmw posted:

Jesus people common.

Jesus people are indeed common.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Jervas Dudley posted:

Huh. Not sure about that, but when he was talking about potions I thought it would be much simpler.

Makes me wonder about those turning page sounds on the 11 record...

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

UnCO3 posted:

This took a lot of work with pistons.

Thanks, pistons.

Thistons.

You can move mushroom blocks with pistons?! :aaaaa: This changes everything.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

seal it with a kiss posted:

Thanks! I knew it was probably some sort of dumb mistake..

You could just put the third row of obsidian in the floor. That way the portal will be on the same level as the floor of the structure, and you can walk right into it. That's how I always build my portals.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Eiba posted:

The great thing about the Yogscast is, at first it seems like Simon's a bumbling idiot and Lewis is a relatively dim straight man, and they make for a great comedic pair... but as time goes on you eventually realize that Simon isn't dumb at all and he's really just constantly acting silly to mess with Lewis (and the audience). I think Lewis is in fact as charmingly dim as he appears, though.

This is exactly why Yogscast is hilarious (sorry Xephos). One of the few YT channels that deserve over a million subscribers and however many hundreds of thousands of views they get on each video.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

waffle posted:

Wow, that headline is way more adversarial than the actual quote is. Though I really don't think Yogs did that much for Minecraft's success, as far as I've seen, only the minecraft forum people and us watch it, really. At least, I know a few groups of friends who all play Minecraft, and none of them know what Yogscast is except me (and I only do because of this thread)

Simon and Lewis were almost certainly kidding around, but I think you underestimate the Yogscast's success. They're consistently some of the most watched gaming videos on youtube.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

Okay, so Notch was dicking with us, so sayeth the twitters, but, like, I can understand the rage, honestly, when out of nowhere we get a stupid ending dropped on us, especially for the guys who aren't SO loving WIRED INTO SOCIAL MEDIA or whatever.

Seeing as the only advertising for the game is through word of mouth I find it hard to believe there are very many people who play Minecraft and don't regularly discuss it and share news about it on at least one kind of social media (this includes forums).

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
So I hadn't actually read the credits themselves until just now, just read people bitching about them. I don't think it's that ridiculous - maybe not terribly profound, but at least it tries to encompass the magnitude of the Minecraft experience without giving in to the temptation to give it a shoe-horned in story at the very end :shobon:

Personally I'm just super excited for release so mod makers can start doing their thing again. That's when this game will really start to shine.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

DONT CARE BUTAN posted:

Why is expecting a multimillion dollar video game company to push out patches that are, you know, functioning properly a big deal?

People poo poo over every OTHER game company for loving up something else so why does Notch get a free pass?

They've earned a lot of money but in terms of development all that's changed is that the game is now made by two people instead of one. Not saying it doesn't suck, but let's not pretend they're EA or something.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
Honestly if I were Xephos or Honeydew I'd just be laughing that they're apparently considered celebrities. I remember when they were just two goons making videos for their WoW guild and occasionally recording a dumb podcast :shobon:

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Iprazochrome fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 3, 2014

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

I think notch's sarcasm detector is broken.

I think this is it pretty much here. I feel like at least some of this may be due to a misunderstanding born from the attitude we have towards Notch and Minecraft here on SA (and as far as I can tell everyone involved in Yogscast is a goon or was in the past). What seems funny when we're joking among ourselves seems a little less funny when it's exposed to people outside the community. It's the same thing with all the drama over mods. On SA there's a culture where we resist taking anythings too seriously, especially anything involving video games and nerd stuff, which probably translates to seeming like assholes when you're in the real world with people who don't "get" it. Not saying Xephos and Honeydew aren't idiots for acting like that, if they really did, but I honestly doubt there was any malice there.

God I wish we could stop talking about this bullshit

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

48 Hour Boner posted:

This is the most bizarre statement. Didn't half the modding community lose their poo poo because someone wrote a script to bypass adfly links?

That's why he said island of egos. The Minecraft community as a whole is a continent sized landmass of egos, and Yogscast is an isolated island just off the coast of that continent.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

I can see this being a huge troll to get some responses which Simon is going to read out in a video in the "pubbie" voice.

Even if it's not a troll I kind of hope he does this anyway.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Question about NPCs:

Our minecraft server has had the same map since 1.3 or so. We expanded greatly westward with the 1.8 update (new terrain) and discovered many, many NPC villages. In the new 1.0 the NPC villages are still there, but there aren't any NPCs inside of them, and no border.

Is there a way to force them to spawn? Or do we have to discover new villages to cause them to spawn?

I'm pretty sure that short of deleting the chunks and letting them reload you'll have to discover new villages to get the squidward guys.

EDIT: VVV silk touch is supposed to work the same on every tool, so I don't see why not.

Iprazochrome fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 21, 2011

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Mr. Mutton Chops posted:

So it seems to me that the Yogscast are going almost straight down the Tim Buckley Path.

Thank God they're not at the "Left Wing asswipe" stage yet.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Mr. Mutton Chops posted:

Well depending on what comes out of Minecon, they could have done 5, and I wouldn't be surprised if their terrible fanbase led to step 4.

From what I heard about Minecon they're well past step 6 at this point. Oh Simon... :(

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
I just realized something: with the silk touch enchantment I can get grass blocks into the Nether. Which means I can spawn animals in the Nether. Time to start my Hell Farm.

Iprazochrome fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 22, 2011

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Okan170 posted:

Coming back to the game after quite a while away, I have to say I'm a little confused. About a year ago, it felt like the game kept expanding in its scope, letting me find new ways to create and sculpt the world. I have to wonder if some of the angst directed at the "end" of the game stems from the way it feels like it almost belongs in another game.

I'm not quite sure how to articulate it, but after toying around with the 1.0 release and going through to the "ending" it feels like its trying to be another kind of game. I suppose it was inevitable, but I guess I now have my answer on if I actually need mods to keep the exploration and awe-filled world effect going.

I think I'm just a bit sad inside that the game took a different direction than what got me playing it pre-Alpha. Its a big scary world, and the fun of it always felt like it was in the discovering and conquest of new and exciting things in the world.

I agree with this pretty much 100%. I feel like my dream mod at the moment would be to make "The End" into something that isn't the actual end of the game. Get rid of the boss, put a cool new ore or item or something there instead. Then it becomes another fun place to explore, not some kind of final point of the game.

EDIT:

master gamawa posted:

Hey a food analogy: Minecraft is like a wonderful full service dinner with a lovely desert in the end. Don't eat the desert.

This is good life advice really. Sand stuck between your teeth is the worst feeling.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Shadowmorn posted:

I actually like The End, i just wish it had been bigger/more stuff. :v:

"You came for the dragon, you stayed because we had free Obsidian, Endstone and EndOre, which looks kinda neat and shiny and you can build kicking rad houses with it." Sure its more of the same, but at least its something.

This is the same way I feel about both the Nether and The End. The more I play Minecraft, both with and without mods, the more I feel like I should just make my own mod to make the game exactly how I want it. I guess that's how most players are going to end up "playing" the game - by making it their own.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

The Triumphant posted:

I think they mainly didn't make fun of being ponies because it made fun of itself so well.

"I'm a pit pony. I'm a cut little horse, trapped down in a pit."
"Yes, I know, it's tragic."

"I could use a glass of water before I sleep, 'cause I'm a little horse."

Willie Trombone posted:

To me, it looked like they planned to show off the Technic Pack in an actual playthrough and failed, and they did it with pony skins just as a silly gag to paper over the fact that starting a new map is fairly boring to watch.

I get the feeling like this was the only way Lewis (resident Technic pack apologist) could convince everyone else to join in an SMP technic pack server. The Honeydew skin is pretty adorable though. Honeydew is even a pretty good pony name.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
There's a lot of janky things about Minecraft but the portals make perfect sense once you know how they work. The main thing to remember is this: When you travel to the Nether for the first time, it *doesn't* place the Nether portal exactly where it should be. It places it in the nearest clear space to that point. This is not a mistake or an error, it does this so you won't die from being surrounded by netherrack or lava when you exit the portal.

If you want to return to your original overworld portal rather than let it make a new one corresponding to the new position, you have to build a second Nether portal (or destroy the one it created for you and rebuild it) in the point corresponding to the original overworld portal, which usually means digging into netherrack. To find the point, simply take the co-ordinates of the overworld portal and divide them by 8. That's the point in the Nether that you need to build the portal.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
I don't think Notch sees it as something to be "fixed". I'm pretty sure this is exactly how they're supposed to work in the vanilla game. There used to be a mod that let you put a sign on the side of the portal and write in the co-ordinates you wanted it to link to, but that hasn't been updated since pre-beta.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
Redstone circuitry works too.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
He probably meant women, seeing as Sweden, afaik, never had laws banning ethnic minorities from voting (probably because they're almost all white people). The N-word was a photoshop in poor taste - you can't actually edit tweets, so the "amazing bigotry removed" was in there from the beginning.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

redmercer posted:

I'm pretty sure this is also the guy who wrote Liberal Crime Squadron; a game that, before other people got their hands on it, Roger Ailes would look over and go "woof, tone it down a tad".

Liberal Crime Squad is actually pretty pro-leftist, just in a very satirical and facetious way. I know I have a lot of fun running my own version of the Symbionese Liberation Army.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
So the large nosed village people have a golem to protect them from persecution? Are we sure :notch: isn't working on the game any more?

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
People with large noses protected by golems. It's not that obscure a reference and it's pretty unfortunate once you notice it. But whatever, I still think they're pretty cool :shobon:

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

krushgroove posted:

Fantastic! But I meant is the world gen back to 1.7 standard of massive mountains and stuff? I don't think we'll ever get back the floating islands without mods...that was a big thing for me to get a 'Minecraft sort of feel' to the exploration.

As I understand it world gen doesn't take advantage of the extra height yet, but it will do in the future.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Dibujante posted:

Yes. Place a pumpkin on two iron blocks.

I just tested this, it's actually four blocks arranged like a T:

code:
 P
III
 I
The pumpkin has to be placed last for it to spawn.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
Is anyone else experiencing a bug in the most recent pre-release involving giant mushrooms not showing up in mushroom biomes? I'm on a mushroom island right now but there aren't any giant mushrooms at all, only the miniature kind.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
EDIT: wrong thread

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
Who's this Ridgedog guy? Seems like they could solve this controversy pretty easily by firing him, the way Peva makes it sound it's mostly him that's at fault.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
I gotta say, I would watch the hell out of a documentary on the Yogscast, or at least a proper in-depth interview. I want to know how a bunch of goons who met through a WoW guild have coped with falling backwards into piles of money through filming themselves playing video games for the internet.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there any tangible benefit to protecting and expanding a village?

Lots of friends :3:

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Disappointing Pie posted:

Also the mystery stuff? Silk touch reclaims Ice again! (Yay water in the nether again!)

I read that they also disabled ice blocks spawning water in the Nether.

Jeb giveth and Jeb taketh away

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
Probably old news now, but I'm loving the new Superflat worldgen parameters. Here's an infinite jungle greenhouse with floating mineshafts wooden bridges:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
every pixel sword looks pretty much the same.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)