Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
What's the best way to clear out a lot of ground for building? Usually there are so many trees, and to get rid of a tree you have to cut apart every part of it. Even managing a diamond axe into my inventory, it's time consuming. Is there a better way, or should I just use some kind of build editor tool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Thanks for the recommendation to burn the trees down. Before in Terrarria I was always a conservationist, being careful to plant saplings wherever I felled a tree and making sure the little imaginary world would always have trees.

Burning the entire forest to the ground was somehow far more pleasant.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Allow me to vent about how poorly written guides to redstone and its various torches are.

Last night I tried playing with them for fun and reading the wiki, wanting to get to the point where I get how they work well enough to create my own machines.

And the minecraft wiki guides are utter loving poo poo.
The throw out electronic engineering jargon all over everything without defining what they mean. Redstone is not electrical engineering. They are blocks that send values to other blocks in a java-based video game. But I guess everyone knows what a diode does or how to work latches and flip flops.

They display schematics for machines with multiple layers with an animated loving gif in an invented notation - it's like reading a book by flashing it at you one word at a time in a language you only started learning. It doesn't help that I'm not entirely sure how the pieces make sense contextually.

And most importantly they do not do what a wiki is supposed to loving do. They do not tell you what the redstone torches and wires do. I mean, as long as you're throwing terms from fields most people will never study all over the goddamn place, would it pain them to just put down an algorithm? There's a lot of counter intuitive aspects to redstone. Torches on sides of blocks work slightly differently than torches on top of blocks, blocks being "charged" act a bit different than redstone wires that are "on" with respect to torches, and redstone itself seems to sort of count as a block instead of the face of a block. I just wanted to know the very basics: What does a torch do each tick, what does a wire do each tick, what does a repeater do each tick.

There's other articles, and an entire example world in the thread, but I did not use those because I usually figure that active members of the community would be updating the wiki so I wanted to figure out if I could understand it just by using the wiki. It was a frustrating experience to say the least.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'll have to wait and see. People complained when Terraria nerfed healing a bit but I think it made the game more fun and crafting more productive in the long run.
But honestly I only got into Minecraft recently and I haven't really had as much fun with it as I thought I would.

Neither game have I cared for making creations that much. It's basically making pixel art only pixels take agonizing hours to build. And Survival in Minecraft is kind of a passive, cautious experience - I suppose it's more aimed at the roguelikes crowd because I have never enjoyed being passive and cautious.
I thought that Redstone would make creating things more fun as I enjoyed The Incredible Machine as a kid and SpacheCham and Manufactoria as an adult, but I've found the system to be kind of obtuse and unhelpful.

So really, if the patch doesn't make things more fun I'll probably shrug and walk away until the next patch.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I just picked this up again as mindless procrastination :sigh: though I did figure out a few things.

I haven't figure out how to find the two things I want to find. The Nether Fortress and an abandoned mineshaft. Former, I've built two gates and wandered endlessly. Is there a way to find it other than wandering? The latter, I've been in my share of caverns and have never found one. Aren't they not supposed to be that hard to find?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Am I the only one whos minecraft is ALWAYS respawning me, on every save file, so that I fall through the entire Earth and die now?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

WeaselWeaz posted:

I've had that happen 4/6 the time I've gone to the nether today. Three time exiting and opening the save fixed it, the last time I fell into lava. Also, the first time I died in the nether today my portal moved. I respawned, went to the nether, and "Hey, this isn't where I was and all my stuff is gone!"

I have had it happen on every goddamn save file, long before ever getting to the nether. I guess I won't be playing this for a while.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
So will mods for 1.3.1 be completely out of the question for a while?
If not, when can I expect one that fixes the respawn/gate problems. Otherwise, how do I play the previous version.

I kind of don't even want to touch 1.3 until that's fixed.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

quote:

combat changes
Most of these are very yes, but might be hard to implement in a mod. Maybe if things just flashed colors instead of an animation? Mine and blade lets you have weapon getup slots you can quickswitch too at the very least, not sure how well it works in general but I appreciate that addition.

My own voxel game combat dream would be to ditch realtime combat in general. Make it like mmo combat or ffxii combat where you can see encounters, run from them, and instead of everything ganging up on you at once to stunlock you have everything on atb timers. I haven't really played mmos or ffxii except a mud once, but I still contend it's a good idea in spirit.

See, mmos and jrpgs let you really get into the numbers of things by isolating encounters and making them a function of preparedness and tool setup, and that just seems far more in line with a sandbox kind of game instead of constant paranoia and making you restrict what you can make if you want to survive bullshit enemies spawning everywhere. Plus, there's a gaggle of mods about automation of gameplay. Why not have something like ffxii's gambits then, if everything else can be set up and planned (SIMPLE coding, just about target prioritization and all that not micromanaging movement square by square)

And in general, managing what you fight and how you fight it is great for a sandbox game. Roguelikes are often about Not Fighting because not knowing your limits and trying to go on a killing spree will get you dead. Spelunky does not really flood you with enemies that can home in on you no matter what, so you have time to look ahead and plan around the next horde's patterns. You do not have this option going outside at night in minecraft. Everything just spawns in and looks for you personally and you can either deal or not. I mean, why not just make enemies spawn like random encounters, a few around you when you're away from your base and with a hard cap on how many can fight you at once? What game has every enemy in the level walk to the player no matter where he is and also respawn nonstop?

Rotten Cookies posted:

I'd like it if ores generated in deposits or veins (larger than the, like, 8 block clusters you find now) and that each biome had a skewed chance for each ore. Say in forests you're more likely to find coal, or something. You'll still find coal elsewhere, and you can find other stuff in forests, but the chance of coal is just higher. That could change up the underground biomes feel.

Plus, I just imagine striking a vein of something and thinking "JACKPOT!"

Customoregenrevived is exactly this but last I tried it it made everything slow as poo poo.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 23, 2014

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Captain Invictus posted:

Why hello there, Nuremburg Toy Fair.

The figures look better than the game's models, really.

(Not sold unless they make a thaumcraft expansion set, they could include flat purple transparent legos to let you make them malfunctioning magic machines spewing flux everywhere)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
The problem with aping another games combat is that enemies are usually designed around their environments instead of the environment being completely randomly designed and enemies just randomly spawning everywhere.

Also in other games, even action games, players are given safe places in between combat zones instead of everything being a hazard.

And you can't really take away some of the inherent problems of what we have here. I'd like for enemies to only notice the player in groups and aggro the player in encounters but the thing is the huge set of unfair enemies that all want to kill you is something the playerbase likes, adding to the "you vs the world" fantasy/feeling the game has.

I don't think anyone could "solve" minecraft combat, but at the very least more thought should be put into making the climb up to profiency fun and challenging. Of course it seems a lot of people in the comments either want to start at the top and work their way up ("combat is just a nuisance once you have all the gear, make it harder!!!") or want more pvp options.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
placing blocks is overpowered, you shouldn't be able to place a block until you kill a boss monster

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I've played some don't starve recently, and though that game is kind of a pain in the rear end in some ways and has some fundamental gameplay differences that mean using mechanics inspired by it would take some work, I do really like how it handles mobs and their spawns, and especially how you can use how the mobs interact and with the devs or a modder would take some inspiration from it.

Snapshots look kind of interesting. I ultimately don't want minecraft to be a combat game but if it's going to have combat it should at least be playable.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Blind Duke posted:

The more you eat the less effective food becomes

The more blocks you carry the less slots you have available in your inventory

the more you post the less keys are on your keyboard

the more you toot the better you feel

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Ugh nothing prepared me for that poo poo.

Next time I get back into Minecraft, I need to remember to replace the ending text with the "Did I ever tell you about the man who taught his rear end in a top hat to talk" story from Naked Lunch.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'd like to split the difference: use the grid to make simple things like tools where you memorize a few shapes and can substitute various materials to get different things. Use a menu to make complicated things, like most of the weird poo poo mods add.

The tactical feel of crafting is something that sets minecraft apart, just the act of putting pieces together even if it's a set pattern makes crafting feel more like crafting. But it gets really annoying when you have stuff like thermal expansion where you have a hundred machines you'll be making repeatedly that each require multi-step operations and their own ingredient sets.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I just updated to windows 10 and I'm having a poo poo ton of issues trying to old minecraft. Java doesn't seem to have a control panel option, running hexxit tells me that I have bad video card drivers even though my video drivers are up to date and much more complicated games are running (And hexxit uses minecraft 1.5) and 1.7 mods don't even start.
I'm confused because my hardware didn't change and I have also recently played this same game on a windows 10 laptop with no issue... plus the google searchs are jsut failing me. Any advice?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
actually I always had 64 bit java, and currently have 64 bit java installed. :mad:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Potato Salad posted:

> Gaming skill
> Endgame and goals
> Walking simulator

:psyduck:

If it's entertainment and something other than rote real life, it's a game. You don't even need to be able to interact with the medium to turn something into a game. Example: movie drinking games.

Holy poo poo the puritanical categorization some people attempt to create.

Gamers are largely a bunch of dumb screaming children and listening to them makes me feel like I'm in day care. I hadn't heard then argue against minecraft being a game because I really did not want to hear them talk about minecraft anyway, but it does not surprise me.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
No you can use pretentious for that.
It was loving lame.

But it's a .txt in the .jar so with a little know how you can replace it and have the denouement be "Did I ever tell you about the man who taught his rear end in a top hat to talk?"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Fuego Fish posted:

Didn't Minecraft introduce a score mechanic that didn't really do anything?

edit: yeah, total experience points collected since last death. That's... kind of an arbitrary measurement? Since a lot of things necessary for survival don't provide experience points.

It's not really a score. You spend the experience levels on tool modifiers, better ones need more levels.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
How much has performance really been improved over the last few updates?
Like a lot of my favorite mods were 1.7 and have not been updated.

Do the performance updates take into account what people do with minecraft? Automation is a popular hobby even in vanilla. Did they do anything about that, like fix hoppers? I haven't really noticed anything much different in how I've played the game.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

JB50 posted:

If you want automation in a minecraft style game, pick up fortresscraft evolved. Its got automation out the wazoo.

I actually was just making a point since I actually vastly prefer magic mods.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Don't Starve is a good game if you like the survival, crafting, and exploration aspects of Minecraft. I've had friends who got addicted to that game.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I think it's underestimated how much influence Minecraft has had on games, even if it's not a complete game. Without Minecraft I do no think you'd have Don't Starve, Stardew Valley, Subnautica, and of course not Terraria. And without its modding scene with the tech themed mods you would not have Factorio.

I don't think there's been an independent game that really takes after the magic mods and makes something that feels like the ritual powering and building in Thaumcraft, Witchery, or Botania without minecraft's base game, but that might come at some point.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Minecraft is probably where it got the hot bar, automatic gathering, and much of the crafting

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
what's the deal with pixark
ark is pretty popular, pixark seems to be the same game but with deformable terrain and minecraft graphics, yet I never hear about it. Is it unplayably buggy? Did Minecraft people just not notice it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'll look into tektopia at some point

worley caves is one I've had fun with until I ran out of patience with the rest of the mods I included that might be of interest to people who want to cave.

There's plenty of cave biome/environment mods, but this one changes how caves are generated completely so they are this giant 3d interconnected maze. It's a lot more exciting than digging to level 12.