Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Frantic pork in the middle of a battle was a terrible mechanic and the idea that anyone would now retroactively defend it is ludicrous.

Are you kidding? I don't know of a single game that's worth anything that gives you healing items then arbitrarily decides when you can and can't use them. Why would you have a mechanic that prevents you from using a healing item when you need it? That's just dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Can someone explain to me what the difference is with Alpha vs Beta codes, with regards to game updates?

Edit: I bought the game in early beta, but I don't think I was ever given a code, so what is it talking about? I just signed up and then signed in on the Minecraft Launcher.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 2, 2011

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

ThndrShk2k posted:

Desert shrubs?

Alpha = fee dlc + cheaper game
Beta = cheaper game.
Release = game

Has it been announced how much DLC will be? Is it going to be like $10 for a 1.9 update (with dogs!) or something?

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
I have played this game for a longass time and I still don't understand how you are supposed to harvest obsidian from multiple-level-deep lava pools without losing a lot of it. I can go around the edges and shift+mine and sort of hover over the lava for a split second so the block gets sucked into my inventory but then I have to put more water down and repeat. Is there a faster way to do this?

I wanted to build a tunnel but it ends up straight in a lava pool and I wanted to mine the lava away and get a shitload of obsidian but it wouldn't be worth it with the way I am doing it now.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

Starting a world and wandering around to see if you can find trees before sunset is the new starting a world and wandering around to see if you can find coal before sunset.

I was noticing that. On a lot of these screenshots the worlds look kind of bare because they lack a lot of trees.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
If it hasn't been said, I think Furnaces causing crashes is linked to being on easy/normal and up. I started on peaceful, didn't have issues, when I switched to easy, furnaces crashed my game, and when I switched to peaceful again, I had to restart Minecraft but I was able to use furnaces without crashing. So if furnaces are giving you trouble, you might want to try that.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

You're entitled to an opinion, but you are freaking out over a snow-man model.

Yeah I can park my dog next to it and then just never use either of them, it'll be great! What's your problem, guys?

Al! posted:

That's the thing, right? Notch whipped up the basics of Minecraft as some goofy little toy with like four block types in like a week. Yet we haven't even seen so much as a prototype from anybody who claims to know better, even though they have the benefit of not having to invent the idea from scratch as notch did and also planning the project out for expansion from the beginning. It's actually a little baffling, to be honest, because I feel like you could make some real fuckin money if you set out and made a better one.

This is because the other groups did not put as much into their game as Notch is. Like snowmen or not, whether or not you think Notch's design decisions are stupid, he is adding more stuff to the game, and the modding community helps to flesh out the game a lot. I think, with most games, the modders add a ton of life into the game (look at Morrowind, which is still being modded and replayed even though it came out in 2003). These other guys just copied what Minecraft had at the time, and released it in like a month, no add-ons, no more content later, and I don't think they even had good co-op play, which makes up the bulk of what people do in Minecraft. The other guys I guess just guessed what Minecraft would be like at release time and tried to beat them to it, with better graphics or whatever. Terraria was a game that started as a Minecraft clone and evolved into something else and is actually successful on its own. There also is not really any need for competition between these types of games, people will go for the one which is the first, or has more features.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 21, 2011

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Mr Cuddles posted:

minecraft_fanbase.jpg

(email received from contact address on https://www.minecraftrecipedesigner.com )
I think these guys have to be just trolling people at this point.
This one is pretty great though.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

A Lamer posted:

I'm a little disappointed in the new potions system. The interface is better, even if it removes the novelty of loving with objects within the world, but jeb removed most of the complexity from it. Potions will only ever have one effect now, negative or positive. Redstone/glowstone effects strength or duration, and fermented eye will effect a couple potions negatively.

I liked the idea of having to balance negatives with positives, as well as having multiple effects on a single potion in general.

Oh, what the gently caress? I guess they don't want to use the Elder Scrolls style alchemy system, but that one really is way better. Now there's no reason to even experiment with the potions because if you find one that is positive, there's no reason to use anything else. There's no reason to even have negative effect potions, really, because nobody will use them unless they have some balancing positive effect.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

That video is insanely loud and annoying.

I feel bad for the kid because I guarantee some people are going to find out where he lives and threaten or stalk him or whatever just because he had the audacity to say Notch wasn't a literal angel who descended from heaven to gift us normal people the holy grail of Minecraft.

On another note, it is getting really annoying that more and more people are bitching about Notch adding all this content and saying the game was best at Alpha and we should go back to that (which they probably never played). It is annoying to hear people bitch about the difficulty when it was always completely trivial to survive the first night, since there was never anything stopping you from digging a hole in the ground if you didn't build a hut (because their goal of surviving the first night is building a spergshack with torches and waiting in front of their computer for 10 minutes not doing anything but beds are just so awful because now it is too easy).

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Trivia posted:

Insta-death from creepers even with pieces of armor is loving obnoxious. They need to be nerfed a bit.

Ok I'm done bitching.

I can find fifty billion posts across the internet (and reddit) whining about how the game isn't hard enough. Don't you remember the "Survive the first day" challenge?! I don't, because it was always easy as poo poo to just dig a hole and walk away from your computer for 10 minutes, but apparently beds just ruined the difficulty. I've stopped reading the Minecraft reddit threads, but I can't escape their eternal circlejerking.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Biggus Dickus posted:

MSE just threw up a Java Exploit warning on that file.

code:
Exploit:Java/CVE-2008-5353.WX
Anyone dared to try it?

I dunno, I downloaded it, but I thought it was odd that they released this, since Notch said there was a feature freeze on the 18th and everything after was bugfixing until release. I don't know why they would release another prerelease, but I assumed it was bugfixes or something. I haven't tried it yet though.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

kidcoelacanth posted:

Who cares if there's a lovely ending, I play to gently caress around on SMP anyway v:v:v let 'em write whatever dumb hooey they want.

I think it's loving hilarious because of how mad people are getting over it. I haven't actually read it though but it sounds hilarious. "This is the only game where the fanbase gets mad when content is added." Sometimes it is stupid stuff though I guess.

I glanced over the part about "The universe said it loved you because you are love" and it sounded like a kindergarten book where the moral is that you are a special snowflake.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
As for dumb endings for Minecraft, why not have it be the generic "save the princess/a partner?" You already have the dragon, and the premise could be that in the overworld you are rebuilding the kingdom or castle or whatever, reuniting Testificate villages or something. Maybe the premise would be your spawning in a village which is your hometown and you have to build a wall to hold off monsters and neighboring villages, then save the person from "The End" and when you slay the dragon and free the person, you get dropped in your castle you built, or a pre-genned castle, get given some diamonds or something and continue playing. It's dumb but I think it is better than an 8 minute text dump. Whining about it not being deep or original or intellectual enough is the root of getting this weird "It was the Matrix all along" text dump ending.

This might be better as an adventure map or something, though.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Vanderdeath posted:

If there's anybody here going to MineCon, could they please ask Notch or any of the Mojang programmers one simple question for me: Why the hell can't Redstone wires go up walls?

One of the only worthwhile things I've read on reddit is an excuse for this: it won't go up walls because it is redstone dust, and so it would fall apart.

Iacen posted:

Looking at the Minecon schedule, I hope lots of people attend Creating Compelling Videos (Jasmine ABEF). That would ideally tell people to stop making videos where you can't see poo poo, where your entire bid for fame is a stupid gimmick (Gamechap) or whatever.

That poo poo is obnoxious and I hope it stops. I remember wanting to find an efficient way to mine obsidian out of a lava lake so I could build in it or something, and I had to sift through at least 3 or 4 videos before I found one that was nothing but the guy with like some annotations over his video telling you what to do while some nice music played. His was like 2 minutes and the others were all 6 to 10 minutes, full of lovely microphones, annoying voices, terrible framerates, half-minute intros of a still image and all-around poor judgement.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 18, 2011

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

chippy posted:

I bloody said this on the previous page and I've never looked at Reddit in my life. :colbert:

Also, as I suggested, you could mix it with slime or water.

Sorry, I was so eager to take what you said and blame it on reddit that I didn't read the rest of the page. That "why cant redstone go up walls" has been brought up countless times before though. Maybe it wasn't reddit, but here, that I read it. I havent looked at reddit in a long time, since it became nothing but circlejerking about when you bought the game. I tried to tell someone there that minecraft was never a hard game because you could always just hide in a hole in the ground, and they refused to listen because "Obviously you are a player since beds were added and don't remember 'surviving the first night'." Reddit is loving stupid.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Is there a way to make animals more domesticated, like not trying to break out of fences and doors every time they're opened? Even with wheat, I have a hard time keeping them in the fence, the second I switch away from the wheat they all head for the fence to try and jump out (or head for the fencegate/door so it's tricky to get out without letting them out), or if I'm holding wheat near the fence they all shove past me and get out of any hole in the fence, above or under.

EDIT: ^^^^
Also what is the batch file this guy is talking about?

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Minecraft as a game is a jack of all trades and master of none - I guess that's what people suddenly have a problem with?

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Oggumogoggum posted:

Whatever happened to the Adventure Update making combat more interesting? Aside from adding weird jump-crits and blocking (which is pretty useless), I don't see any difference.

I think the issue with pre-1.8 combat wasn't that we didn't have enough control over our characters, but that enemies like zombies simply walk toward you and have no attack animation. It's really tough to get close enough to a zombie to hit it yourself without taking damage, since it doesn't have to actually do anything to hit you. The 1.8 update didn't change this at all. Sure, you can run at an enemy to knock it away now, but do this to a zombie and you'll take damage as well.

Hopefully the AI enhancements that they've hinted at will help with mob behaviour, because as things are it's pretty unimpressive.

This has been brought up over and over all the time but what do you want? People already complain that Minecraft has ADD so adding Demon's Souls style combat would further that. I think the problems of combat being boring is because of the way combat works in Minecraft, without overhauling pretty much everything about it, I think combat is about as fleshed out as it can be. People wanted mobs that "can come after you and like break your structures and totally aren't zombies", and "monsters that actually pose a threat" because combat was "just so boring". Monsters can either come up and bump into you, come up and explode, or can shoot arrows at you. If you added magic, it would be the same as arrows, you already have monsters that chase after you and can climb walls to get to you, and monsters that can destroy your buildings to get to you (which were toned down because it turned out they were annoying), monster health was bumped up in an attempt to make combat more "exciting" - I guess you want fighting game style combo moves where you press forward-backward-quarter-spin-the-mouse-clockwise and you backflip and do a QTE and skewer the monster on whatever you have equipped. With enchantments you at least can add some depth to combat but people thought it was too weird; even if you improve the AI of the monsters so they can side dodge or move around obstacles, combat in video games is literally just button mashing or clicking so I don't understand where people are going when they say they have ideas to make it more exciting.

Someone mentioned improving AI to have a list of obstacles they would avoid, but I don't see how this wouldn't really make combat any better. With their solution you could build a trench of lava around you and monsters would stay at bay and you could just leisurely pick them off with a bow, just like now you can build a lava trench and mobs will all aggro at you and just fall in. I'm not trying to whiteknight Notch so hard, but I don't understand what you all are wanting other than "improved AI" which would probably practically translate in the same way "harder monsters" translated into enemies with more health.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Fuego Fish posted:

I have no idea how anyone could "release" a game with so many flaws and bugs still present. I mean, I know they set themselves a deadline, but could they not have set a deadline about six months from now instead? Give themselves enough time to fix all the problems and add in all the much-needed gameplay stuff?

I imagine bugs would normally be dealt with quite harshly during alpha and beta testing, but because the community that loves Minecraft were the alpha and beta testers, these reports were bet with "It's just a BETA, and it was ONLY $10 what do you expect you entitled little turd?!" I'm surprised at the backlash of the game's final content because I guess they expected Notch to turn around and do a complete 180 from what he was doing before and complete a competently-coded game that is also not what he was releasing with the prerelease patches. I don't know why they expected him to do something different from what he has been doing the past 2 years.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Fortis posted:

If the Endermen build structures they should be in The End. Shrines to the Enderdragon made out of dirt, wood, and sand.

This would actually be pretty cool. You go in, and see patchwork villages made of poo poo they've taken from the normal world.

It would be hard to program and probably add more to Minecraft's already heavy performance costs, but would be a neat touch. And you could take blocks from their world in a weird sort of role reversal, maybe your skin could become an enderman's. Then Notch's "Duality between the player and the game" speech might have some bearing, but probably still not (I didn't actually read the 8-minute speech so I don't really know what it's about except it is some wannabe-Matrix poo poo).

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

ItalicSquirrels posted:

I think the complaint is that you need to go out of your way to do something to craft things that are used all the freaking time. Why not have "basic" recipes, such as all tools and weapons, be createable in your inventory and have the "advanced" stuff like minecarts need a separate crafting table? If all I'm doing is going on a stone-mining expedition, I'd like to be able to carry a stack of sticks and save the rest of the space for tools, a stack of food, and all the freaking stone I'm going to be hauling back. Or hell, if I'm doing an extended build (a bridge for example), that stack of 64 can add up if I'm making multiple trips back to my storage hut.

Several threads ago this was considered "vital to gameplay and challenge" because it was argued that this makes you heavily weigh and consider what you take with you. I remember for some reason it was being talked about, I think Notch was going to change it or something and there was outcry because it would make the game "too easy" and it would "not be Minecraft" anymore. I think it was in the very early days of modding before Notch even suggested his "Pay 40 dollars for the Minecraft source code and users pay money for mods" idea. Maybe it was about stacking food, I don't know, I thought it was a dumb excuse then, and dumb now. I would just carry a stack or half stack of logs.

^^^^^^^
Alchemy wouldn't be that big of a deal, and is actually kind of neat, but the poo poo about nether wart is loving retarded. Having to idle in the nether, even in a fortress or whatever is bad, especially since it is so slow growing. Make that poo poo capable of growing outside, maybe surrounded by netherrack in soul sand next to lava or some poo poo, goddamn.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 24, 2012

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

Imagine that brick wall has an open door in it.

In a normal game, that door is a portal that defines the boundary between this room and that room. If the portal isn't visible, that room doesn't have to be drawn at all.

In Minecraft, you're in one infinite room and there are no portals you can use to make that decision.

Imagine that door-free brick wall again. In a real game, the player can't ever get behind that wall. The wall doesn't have a back and there's nothing at all behind it.

In Minecraft, the world goes on forever and there's never not something behind something else.

Why doesn't Jeb bring back finite worlds? Honestly, I think it would make the "end game" more cohesive, as dumb as it is, because you only have that set amount of land to explore, whatever. With infinite worlds, the game just goes on forever, but with finite worlds, you have just your one island, then you move to the nether, to your stronghold, then to the end or whatever - you could alter the size of your map and terrain gen poo poo, but theoretically your world would have one of everything. It's up to you how to play the game, what to do and poo poo, because I doubt many people want to go to The End, but I said before a long time ago, it would allow for smaller maps and more customization towards your computers performance.

The last time I was on Reddit the nerds where were whining about obscure poo poo they had trolled the wiki for, like sheep eating grass, and bemoaned the loss of that rather useless feature, and Jeb is bringing it back, so why not bring back finite maps?

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

The Triumphant posted:

Bicehunter please put tiny suns in your game and let us mine them.

Notch would have done this if you had tweeted him about it. That's kind of why people are saying his game sucks now. Although I remember at the time people were yelling about how "This is the only game where nerds whine when MORE content is added! :v:"

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
EDIT: I looked again and am just being whiny, it is usually the second or third result when searching, I was actually searching for that Cellular Automata Ruins mod on the last page. I was expecting the forums to be something like forums.minecraft.com or whatever rather than minecraftforums.net. I usually just get direct links via youtube videos like Yogscast or the mod thread so I never really paid attention to the url, because I'm dumb.

In my defense "minecraftforum.net" does sound like it is more of a fansite or fan forum rather than the official forums of the multimillion-dollar-achieving, award-winning project Minecraft.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 20, 2012

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Can you place two different types of slabs on each other without them getting a weird space in between them yet?

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Why does my Minecraft have weird grids along the outsides of every block? It's like every plane is outlined. I try to play every now and then but it gives me a headache after about 30 seconds of playing and I turn Minecraft off. It started arbitrarily doing this a while back, but I don't know what triggered it. I updated to 1.2.3 and have the corresponding Optifine (Multi-core version, because the chart provided in that thread implies that the multi-core version is the most advanced) and it still does this. In fact I think it is more jarring now than before, or perhaps I notice it more. I recently updated java but as I said it has been doing this for a while now.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Or maybe it's just a retexture, since it's in a spot where gravel would be otherwise.

If that's the case, it looks more like cobblestone than gravel.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

Does anyone else have a habit of making something elaborate to live in, only to promptly lose interest in it and go back to their old shelter? This seems to happen every time I try to make a fancy house or something. The house feels too big, or too empty, too sterile. No matter how much I decorate my new snow cabin, it doesn't have half the lived-in coziness of the old hastily-dug hole-in-the-ground that I started with.

Nothing spawns up here, either. No mobs, hostile or otherwise. It's just kind of... empty. Lonely.

I'm going to miss the view, though. :smith:

Yes. There definitely needs to be some sort of furniture for this game. I never understood those huge elaborate builds of like giant castles because on the inside, they are barren. Actually, this has fueled ingenuity in building, but I would like it if there was more stuff to fill your minecraft sperg base with, besides pictures chests and furnaces.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Slickdrac posted:

How do I make this chunk regenerate on my server? Backups are either way too old, or contain this missing chunk.

Failing everything else, could you not just put some dirt blocks over the top matching up with the sides and a sign like "Don't dig down!" or some poo poo?

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Was there a way to turn off creeper world damage via a command available in the basic Minecraft as of 1.3.2, or was that a snapshot thing. I did some quick googling but only found stuff about adding mods to do it.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

FPzero posted:

My brother's fear of Ghasts one day coming out of portals will soon be realized. To this day, he always always builds his portal away from his house just in case it ever became a reality.

I read (some of) the reddit thread and one of the top comments mentions that ghasts are 5x5 and portals are usually 4x2, although they can be bigger I think. I would be annoyed if ghasts came through but I do remember way back when the nether was new, people built bunkers on either side because monsters were supposed to be able to come through.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Jblade posted:

That is drat pretty - I take it that it needs support beams and stuff inside? Things like that really make me interested in TFC, but I think I'll wait a while for more updates before taking a plunge into it. I'll have to keep an eye on the server forum here, hopefully a goon-server will start up fresh later in a while as well since that seems like when it would be at it's most entertaining.

I am definitely interested in playing a server that has this, if one comes up I would hope someone mentions it, since this is the only Minecraft related forum I read. I had no idea that this TFC thing existed but it sounds like basically everything that I want from multiplayer Minecraft.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Is there a website to check if the servers are down again or if it is just my settings or whatever?

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

He's still wearing that loving fedora? I guess money doesn't buy you taste. It buys you a shitload of pork pies though, apparently.

The icing on the cake is the little fedora watermark in the bottom right. And the guy with the huge bug-eyes in the direct center of the image next to that other guy with the hat who is for some reason looking really smug. I mean everything in this loving image is so surreal, literally everything.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

They tried to do that over a year ago and the community howled about how authoritarian Notch was becoming and how he was determined to fracture the community between the haves and have nots, censorship of the worst sort, the whole nine yards. Within 3 hours of the announcement Notch was on reddit doing full reverse on the subject.

Is this the thing where Notch wanted modders to pay him more money for the privilege of modding his game or some poo poo?

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

jivjov posted:

My question is, if the API was such a huge amount of work, why did they promise its release to come with a specific patch/date in the first place? I'd rather hear "The API is coming, we promise, we're still working on it" than "The API will be released with the 1.3 patch"...."The API will be coming with 1.4, sorry for the delay"...."whoops, we're not releasing the API in the foreseeable future because we bit off more than we can chew but were too proud to admit that in the first place"

It has been almost over a year since they said the API would be complete. That's the funniest part, to me.

jivjov posted:

I get what you're trying to say here, but I think it's a bit unfair to call all the updates mojang is making to the base game pointless. There are many people out there who play minecraft completely vanilla, with no mods, and the official updates are their only source of new content.

At this point they can't really add too much new content without stepping on the toes of modders and upsetting the bee's nest of "my copyright" idea nazis, because of how slow they have been about it. For almost every good idea for Minecraft there is a mod now, and I think this may have an effect on how fast they are moving through whatever they want done with Minecraft outside of bugfixing. I kind of wish I lived in an alternate reality where Minecraft completed development, the modding community wasn't such a disaster and the game reached its best possible outcome, being a game with cohesive and fun base base gameplay, enhanced by a bunch of mods working together without scanning your username to check against a list of specific people the modder doesn't want to use his mod, or without storing your password in unencrypted plaintext and saying poo poo like "Thems the breaks," when called on it, or scanning the directory of your Minecraft folder and then refusing to work or corrupting your savegames if it has "Tek" in it.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

CJacobs posted:

But with hardware so old and outdated, should they really be surprised that it's going to stop working? There is no way to support absolutely everything forever and have the game run well for all involved.

What benefits does switching to OpenGl 2.1 bring? Legitimately curious.