Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Vib Rib posted:

Virtually anything they do will make people rage. The update could come out perfectly with all the promised features and then some, with no bugs to speak of, and people would still rage for it not having some feature they imagined, or for breaking their mods.

And the rest of us, the (relatively) sane Minecraft players get free entertainment from all the rage. I see no downside, unless you happen to be one of these delicate souls whose blocks Notch just kicked over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Not sure how many of you have messed around with the portable edition yet, but does the lighting seem way off? Currently dicking around boring a 5x4 tunnel through a cliff, and I seem to be having to put down an inordinate amount of torches just to be able to see what I'm doing...

Is it literally based off the old creative alpha, or just some weird approximation of it? I only started playing just before 1.2, so I'm not even sure if the lighting used to be this dim back in the day...

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Jetsetlemming posted:

A 1:1 scale recreation of The United States of America and its Territories.

You're thinking too small. It should be an exact replica, with everything twice the real size.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

The order people put these in probably reveal something about personality, like a particularly nerdy Myer-Briggs test. Sword in slot 1? Aggressive. Pickaxe? Creative. Or something.

1. Sword
2. Axe
3. Pickaxe
4. Shovel
5. Torches
6. Dirt
7. Cobble
8. Whatever's needed at the minute
9. Food/map

Also, compass and watch in the inventory, but they have to be in the top left corner.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Zoe posted:

I'm not aggressive, just paranoid. I live in constant terror of spiders jumping on my head.

To be honest, I keep a sword in 1 because that's the default thing equipped when you join your map. I've stepped out of my door once too often and tried to kill a spider with a torch.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

NeilPerry posted:

Same here. Their statement definitely has some truth in it.

I didn't get into the game because of Simon and Lewis, but I would say they certainly got me back into playing it.

The article, especially the headline, I suspect is taking their flippancy at face value, but I think it'd be also fair to say the yogscast wouldn't be enjoying 1 million subscribers without the game. Both parties have done well out of it, and I think they all know that, too.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

So will villagers repopulate a possibly old village? I've been tooling about on this map since 1.8, and I built a random portal in the nether a short distance from my main one, and it exits into a village square. The place is totally deserted though, so I'm wondering if I passed close by ages ago, before villagers went in.

Running the latest snapshot, is there any criteria for testificates to spawn other than there being houses for them to live in?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I might be being dense here, but what's the relationship between bukkit and craftbukkit? Is it a case of developer name/mod name, or something more complex? I'm fairly new at running a server, and still proud of myself for getting a mod actually running.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

poemdexter posted:

So wife and I tried to play just vanilla 1.2 like we were playing vanilla 1.1. We created a new world except there's just random pieces of world that get you stuck like you're on a fence post way back in the day where you'd bob a bit. There's some sections of world that just refuse to load until you log off and log back in. Even then, my wife is getting stuck in places and then it makes her take damage like she's suffocating. The game is entirely unplayable for us two and I've never never never had a problem hosting a server. Is this something others are seeing on servers or is it just me?

Experienced this last night in a village a couple of times, my character spazzing out on unloaded blocks and half the houses missing walls. Looked fine to my wife, and fixed by reloading.

That's 1.2.2, btw. I don't think akliz have 1.2.3 up yet, so don't know if that fixes the issue. I know it's carnage outside our house every morning with the non-burning nasties in 1.2.2.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

poemdexter posted:

I'm running 1.2.3 and I don't pay for hosting. I run it all on my PC since it's one batch file and I'm done!

Yeah, I'm down to a notebook running as a desktop right now. It's doing well to run the minecraft client, to be honest. Renting a server for five bucks a month gives way better play performance than trying to make it run SSP and do all the sums. ;)

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Nenonen posted:

SMP also has the added benefit that it doesn't pause when you alt-tab. So if I have a million cobblestone to cook, I can just leave the client running in the background. If there's a way to minimize SSP without pausing I haven't found it.

Open a furnace, or a chest, or your inventory, before alt tabbing. Game will keep running :)

E: f, b

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You should if only for a night or two. Yesterday I came back to the surface in the middle of the night to hear my golem fighting something, some zombies trying to knock down doors, and a creeper crawling near me. So for the first time in my entirety of playing Minecraft I said gently caress it, equipped my sword and spent the rest of the night killing zombies and spiders while herding creepers away from the village until dawn came.

It was fun as gently caress and after some minor land repairs everything was left untouched.

It is a lot of fun, until you realize that if you live in the village, this is how every goddamned night is going to be spent from now on. This is why our house is about a minutes walk from the nearest village; if you feel like zombie shenanigans, you can hang out there overnight, otherwise they're safely outside the loaded chunks.

I'd honestly like to see the invasions be more... sporadic, like the blood moons in Terraria. After all, we have moon phases now, let them go bananas on a full moon or something.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait, there are actual invasions now?

Well, I don't know if they're formally invasions, but like Schwartzwald says, the number of monsters seems a lot higher than you'd get in a non-villager chunk.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

babies havin rabies posted:

It's likely bullshit. There is no reason not to get the police involved if somebody embezzles $18,000 from your business.

Which police though? Lewis is in England, Tinman is... Something Scandinavian? No doubt there's law enforcement who handle exactly this sort of thing, but I doubt its the sort of thing you read up on much before starting what was originally a WoW guild. I imagine Lewis et al. were caught flat footed with all this, and the avenues he mentioned exploring are figuring out who handles Grand Theft Adspace.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Can't wait to get my hands on Ye Olde Goone Adventures.

What a loving bizarre concept. Commercial licensed game made about Youtube superstars. This is honestly really surreal.

The game itself sounds like the typical "ideas man" nerd wishlist. I'm pretty skeptical of how it will turn out, even as a fan of the Yogscast in general.

If you think that's surreal, wait for the inevitable Youtube videos of people like Total Biscuit playing a game based on Youtube videos, in a game.

And then they'll make a game of that.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I'm honestly surprised by the XP for mining addition. Pleased, but surprised. I've been running a bukkit mod for months on my private server that does almost exactly that, except you get the XP direct, rather than as orbs.

It seemed such an obvious thing to have in a game about mining (with 'mine' in the title) that I honestly didn't think Mojang would have common sense enough to ever add it. Bravo to them, I say.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I love fun. Which is why I want them to add stuff that is useful so I can have fun with it rather than just ignore it becuase it's a waste of time.

VVVV Then it might be worth it to build a few for the speed boost around your home base. Still, I wish they'd stop adding stuff that gives combat benefits to the game and instead focus on having it do other stuff. It's like they don't even realize that the combat is so lovely you don't need any of this.

These beacons sound kinda interesting, but the look of them screams 'teleporter' to me. Imagine pairing these up to hop across a world.

Admittedly, most SMP servers have something like this implemented, but it'd be nice to have in SSP, unmodded. If your game is going to be this big, it needs some kind of transport without Nether fuckery.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Yet Another Command Block Question... Are these things going to only work with standard commands, or will they accept, say, bukkit essentials commands? I'm really, really hoping the latter, as they could be combined amazingly with some mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Out of curiosity, what language was the xbox version written in? I'm no programmer, but that would surely be a good starting place, no?