Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Hadlock posted:

The OP looks great :) huge improvement over the old one. Does the new thread mean we're days away from 1.8?

1.8 is expected early next month / end of this month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMP
May 5, 2009

tinaun posted:

Redid the programs and utilities section. Also, wasn't there a flash program developed to edit your minecraft skin? I know I saw it on the last thread.

Not the one you're thinking of but theres the great http://minersneedcoolshoes.com as well.

SMP
May 5, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Hey, poking for a favour - does anyone have or know of an Akliz server that I can spend a little while playing around on and tackling bad guys and all on? My mates are thinking of hosting with them but I'm wondering how bad the transpacific latency will be.

Hey dude, add me on steam and I can put up a test server for ya. ID is in the profile. Or hop on #yogboxchat @ synirc.net

SMP
May 5, 2009

Oggumogoggum posted:

Can I get in on this too? Heh. I'll add you on Steam as well if you don't mind.

Sure! It may have to wait till this evening (EST) though.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Isko posted:

Does anyone know how long it usually takes for support to help you out because I've been waiting 4 days already to play minecraft still and I can't because I lost my premium status somehow during a period of inactivity. All I want to do is play some minecraft :(.

Ahahahaha, Mojang essentially has no support. You're best off spamming tweets at jeb or mollstam.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Isko posted:

Well that's horrible :(. That sounds like a lot of a hassle, especially since I have no twitter account. Do you think posting on the forum might help instead? I think I'll do that and wait a few more days before I resort to any sort of twitter spam.

Haha no one reads the forums either. They're known to read reddit from time to time though, so there's that too.

SMP
May 5, 2009

GreatKesh posted:

And there are people in that thread defending the OP's copyright claim :ughh:

Copyright BS on the minecraft forums pisses me off, I don't know why I put up with reading it

Curse required all texture pack creators to add a copyright thing to their threads, under the threat of removal.

:geno:

SMP
May 5, 2009

Beard Yawn posted:

Just general impressions, support quality, stuff like that. I haven't run a Minecraft server before, but I imagine it's not too different than most games. One specific question, if I rent a Bukkit-enabled server, can I switch back and forth to vanilla when we get an update and Bukkit isn't ready?

Yep! We even provide a bunch of older server jars if you want to stay on a previous version of Bukkit.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I think the only thing it needs now is some color. Right now it looks terribly unfinished.

SMP
May 5, 2009

bango skank posted:

You took away the one thing that made minecraft unique. WHY?"

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/lamga/notch_via_twitter_sun_and_moon_will_soon_be_round/c2r4e66

SMP
May 5, 2009

Skizot posted:

though i suggest penislandia. we have three worlds, survival, creative and canvas. we have very little drama (if any) and mostly get along.

We've got a world to accomodate everyone, really. A straight up survival map with neat town/settlement's, a canvas map for doing random poo poo and a regular ol' creative map with lots of themed areas. Give it a look :)

SMP
May 5, 2009

kas posted:

Updating to let people know that I'm in fact not dead (completely) yet and no longer homeless, and have been continuing to putter away at Painterly. Assuming that Notch doesn't add or change any more crap from the current version, all I have left to do (besides coding) to make painterly 1.9 compatible is the dragon, the moon phases, the potion racks, and magma cream.

This update is by far the biggest I've ever done, and this image doesn't even have all the new options on it. I'm conservatively estimating about 800-900 or so new graphics will be included by the time I am done.

Holy poo poo, loving the explosion animations and enchanting GUI.

SMP
May 5, 2009

If anyone is interested in Jeb's side project Cobalt, you can now pre-purchase it.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Finally done with my adventure map! :dance: You might remember my last adventure map, The Journey

I looooove Disney. So. This map is Disney themed!

In the Beauty and the Beast room, there's nothing in the dispenser. I assume that's where a lever is supposed to shoot out?

edit: Nevermind, it just never played the dispenser noise so i didn't notice it.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Hey bicehunter, I made these scifi textures for a minecraft build i'm making, but I think you might be able to find some use out of them if you want:

SMP
May 5, 2009

poemdexter posted:

What seed is everyone clamoring about these days? My wife and I want to play a bit and was hoping for something that has a little bit of everything. Our current seed is lacking cows and chickens and dogs.

There is none, all seeds are boring and/or the same these days.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Speaking of awesome textures/effects, I'd really like to see the end-portal effect used more. Maybe it'd be the inside of the enderchest when opened.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Now how about half slabs for netherbrick?! :argh:

SMP
May 5, 2009

People should post their builds more often! I just built Moat Cailin from the Song of Ice and Fire books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQtBiByZuWQ

Here's an imgur gallerym unfortunately imgur murdered the quality of my screenshots. If anyone knows of a better image host for this kind of stuff, let me know.

SMP
May 5, 2009

You'll be in for a wait (usually a day or two at most these days) and then a longer wait for plugins to update (only another day or two at most). Bukkit's extensive plugins and configs make it a hell of a lot better though.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Being able to disable all crop trampling with WorldGuard was something that made the game 1000x better for me. WorldGuard is amazing.

SMP
May 5, 2009

On Terra Firma posted:

Are there any decent texture packs that are up to date with some of the latest snapshots that included trading? I was using one that was linked off the MCMod page in the OP, but it didn't have Emeralds. I could live with that, but then I got killed by a cave spider because it didn't have a texture and I couldn't see it. Has anyone got an updated list of texture packs?

Shameless plug.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I know it's not the mod thread, but I spent a lot of time on this and it's just a texture pack that I think people should know about. So crossposting this from the modding thread...

:siren:Update to my tex- wait no. BRAND NEW TEXTURE PACK!:siren:

It's taken me 3 versions over 8 months and countless hours, but I've finally released my sci-fi texture pack. I'll put my description and a few pictures here but I highly recommend you read my MCF thread, there's a lot of info there you should know about (and also more pictures!)

Download / Thread | Guide

quote:

What is 2263? Simply put, it's a sci-fi themed texture pack. It's also a "Minecraft total conversion mod" in a sense. It's a creative suite of textures made for the construction of sci-fi builds and adventure maps. Made specifically for creative mode, you'll be able to make amazing adventure maps with it. Whether you want to build a grimdark space colony like in Aliens, a colorful planet filled with weird wildlife or a sprawling space station, 2263 has got you covered.

I could go on and on about this, so here's a concise feature list that will hopefully entice you.
Total conversion texture pack; a full creative and adventure mode suite.
6+ distinct planet (biome) types, to accomdate any kind of planet you can imagine (note: not really, but it should cover most ideas!).
28 new blocks added! Thanks to CTM magic I am able to retexture all the extra mushroom blocks.
A wide variety of blocks allowing you to build any sci-fi project you've ever wanted to make.
Extensive CTM support (9 .pngs and 131 .properties)!

Gallery of pics here!

SMP
May 5, 2009

Shlapintogan posted:

I could see some texture packs doing neat things with it, like having certain bits of the armor always be one color, but having the accents be the color of the dye you're applying.

There's always a chance of this being terrible and coloring the entire armor. Hopefully Dinnerbone makes it like side grass where there's a separate overlay texture which gets colored. If it tints the entire armor...:eng99:

SMP
May 5, 2009

kas posted:

The way the new dyeable leather armor is set up, the armor is now a greyscale texture and it applies the dye as a flat overlay over the entire thing, so every armor in every texture pack ever is going to basically default to a giant brown monocolour blob.

I hope they change this to a 'base' armor that can be whatever colours you like, and then a separate armor texture for the overlay (like how they've coded the dyeable dog collars already, as well as how they've done redstone, so not sure why they didn't with leather) so that texture pack makers can set specific areas on the armor to be dyeable/not dyeable. Otherwise it's going to pretty horribly mangle the appearance of a ton of texture pack's leather armors. :(

I was worried about this as well when Dinnerbone showed it off. Was hoping this would be the way it works but I guess not :(.

SMP
May 5, 2009

All these new decorative blocks, yet still no chairs and tables! :argh:

SMP
May 5, 2009

Idles posted:

There's been a project for a while that some intrepid coder has been working on to import the World of Warcraft landmasses into Minecraft using automated tools. It's in beta now, and you can download the (3GB compressed, 24 GB uncompressed) worlds. This is going to be awesome to run around in.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/997352-crafting-azeroth/

Similarly, people should go check out a server I've been playing on for a while now that's recreating Westeros from Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire!

http://mc.westeroscraft.com/

SMP
May 5, 2009

cocoavalley posted:

Are there shaders that make it look like that? I figured that these pictures were a render from some 3D package. Real-time shadows would make a big difference, but as stated, would likely ignite my computer as well.

They are renders. However there are some pretty insane shader mods out there. The current 'main' shaders (SonicEther's Unbelievable) are pretty nice, but I think they go a bit overboard though into garishness (SO MUCH BLOOM).

SMP
May 5, 2009

Speaking of texture packs, I've updated mine for 1.4 now.

Download

Here's the changelog:

quote:

[General]
+ 1.4 Stuff

[Mobs]
+ New biome based mob skins for Zombies and Wolves

[Items]
+ Cauldron icon

[Blocks]
+ CTM'd Wools

[Fixes]
+ Fixed CTMs for anything broken, but sprite based blocks (flowers, grass, etc.) don't appear to work right now.

[Mods]
+ Added support for BetterGlass

For those who aren't familiar with my pack, here's a few images.

SMP
May 5, 2009

feigning interest posted:

Thanks for updating my favorite texture pack but I think double stone brick half-slabs are acting goofy:

This is intentional, it gives you some new blocks to use. If you want to use a full block of whatever slab you're using, use a full block! Saves you some slabs in the process.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Iacen posted:

(unless you're making textures, in which case it'll probably be a pain in the rear end).

You got that right! Poor kas has his work cut out for him.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Iacen posted:

Does that texture "unstitcher" Dinnerbone has written help people such as you and kas, or is it essentially just hard, backbreaking work to adapt your work to these new standards?

Edit: This? http://assets.minecraft.net/unstitcher/unstitcher.jar

I'm mostly worried about how it might affect any CTM textures. If the MCpatcher guy feels the need to mimic this feature and force people to split up the CTM files, I'll have a poo poo ton of work. The rest will be easy for me. Unfortunately for kas it's brutal.

SMP
May 5, 2009

The server I play on (http://westeroscraft.com) just got some new renders up of our big server builds (we're building Westeros from A Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones :spergin:). They hit reddit's frontpage and now our server is being DDoS'd from the sheer amount of people attempting to connect. We hit our player cap of 150 as well. Seen below are renders from our biggest project to date: King's Landing. Took over 4 months and more than a hundred builders to finish. The other build is the Dreadfort, seat of House Bolton in the North.

http://imgur.com/a/XfCkQ

SMP
May 5, 2009

quiggy posted:

Please tell me you guys took a bunch of screenshots of all this stuff under construction so you can do your own take on the opening sequence.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=ELlW9eoqiHKuA

SMP
May 5, 2009

Hempuli posted:

I recall seeing a blocky version of the Wall done with a similar rendering technique, I assume it's from that server?

Yep, although that render was from the old version of the Wall. We moved to a new map sometime this summer and redid the wall to what you see in the new render.

Howmuch posted:

Please tell me its a creative server... because otherwise, holy poo poo! :stare:

Thankfully yes, and we employ heavy use of voxel and worldedit :v:

quiggy posted:

Soooo yes? You'll make one?

I don't think anyone has thought about doing that before, unfortunately all our builds are made already and we didn't have time to film construction time lapses for King's Landing.

SMP
May 5, 2009

JohnSherman posted:

Is it possible to get that texture pack anywhere, or is it custom?

It's a heavily modified Doku Light, custom for the server. You can get it on our website (when it's done being hammered by reddit) or auto-download it when joining.

Enzer posted:

SMP, do you know what obj exporter that is used for those renders? Also, do those renders use your texture pack? Hard to tell from the distance the shots are taken.

I believe it's mcobj > blender, also yeah they use the server texture pack.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Reason posted:

Wow, is it possible to download this world somewhere and dick around in it?

Kassad posted:

That world is 35 gigs in file size so no.

Yep. Sorry. You're free to hop on the server and explore to your heart's content though. Granted, the server is at it's player cap of 100 100% of the time (thanks to almost every big gaming site posting about us :smug:), so it can be a bit hard to get in. We restart the server every hour to give new people a chance to connect.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Two related questions:

What are the circumstances required for Zombie Villagers to spawn naturally? One place on the wiki says 10%, another says 5%, neither of them say anything about specific biomes but in my mountain biome I've never seen one ever.

However, it may be because SMP Revival doesn't have a unique texture for Zombie Villagers. On which note -- which file do I need to edit to give zombie villagers a unique skin? I tried replacing the obvious zombie_villager.png, and maybe I've just been unlucky since, but I still haven't seen any.

Wait whoa what? Is the zombie villager not /mob/zombie_villager.png? It's odd that no one else has ever pointed this out to me, it's been like that for a while.

I don't ever play survival :ssh:.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Speaking of WesterosCraft, I don't think I ever posted my build video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYQS7lPrI20

e: Also that is the castle black on WilsonSMP, not WesterosCraft. Credit goes to them for that one.

SMP fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMP
May 5, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You can all stop playing minecraft already, someone has beaten it.

http://imgur.com/a/Jem23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkfA4mWnfHg

:colbert: that's no city.

More