Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Master Twig posted:

Is the next update supposedly coming out this weekend? I remember hearing something about a release with PAX, but I'm not seeing any dates about the next update on Notch's Tumblr.

From what I know a demo is playable at PAX. The actual update will come a week or so afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Retro42 posted:

Unless I'm looking waaaaaaay to hard I think it's quicksand. Lookc right next to the chest and you can see a different textured sand.

There is something with a different texture to the left of the chest. I think that's sandstone though. I could be wrong though, I haven't used the original textures in forever.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Dominion posted:

Notch just tweeted that the "thing he tweeted about earlier" was a secret and he wasnt supposed to talk about it, so he removed the tweets. Anyone catch them before he got rid of them?

It was something about Minecon attendees getting a free cape. I have no idea how he could do that though. vOv

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

^^^^: A cape that you can wear on your model. Only a few people have them though. Only Mojang employees and the 1,000,000th buyer have them iirc

I'm loving the new terrain generation 1.8 has to offer. I always loved maps that spawned huge mountains and weird shapes and floating islands. I'm spoilt for choice now!

I think that Endermen are still a little bugged. I've come across a few that I can walk right up to them, look at them directly and walk away without repercussion. Glad to hear that the block removing thing is being nerfed too. While it never happened to me really, I can see how it would get very annoying, very fast.

ZShakespeare posted:

Oh man, I can't wait to see how those entitled fucks in minecraft modding forum respond to this cloak thing.

I presume they would say something along the lines of "WAHHH WHY CAN'T I HAVE MY OWN SPECIAL CAPE SO I CAN BE A UNIQUE SNOFLAKE!"

Skull Servant fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 20, 2011

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

There's supposed to be an update today, right? Is this going to be a 1.8_02 or update 1.9? I'm a bit confused on this. Notch is saying that it will be a bugfixing update but Jeb tweeted saying that there would be two new nether mobs and that there was no point in posting screenshots because we would "see them tomorrow anyway."

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I saw that tweet about five minutes after I posted that message :v

A fast update is bitter-sweet. On one hand, new stuff! Whoop! But it's kinda annoying because servers break. Bukkit only released a recommended build last night, some servers are only catching up now.

What's been hinted at for 1.9 so far? I think the Nether strongholds will be in, along with the Snowmangolem and the two new Nether mobs. Apart from that, what else is there? Notch tweeted saying that he was working on villagers but his wording made it seem as if he was just starting them. I don't think they'd be ready if he is releasing a "leak" today.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

1.9 is out about an hour now. I wonder how many e-mail kaz has gotten about Painterly by now?

The stuff looks pretty nice. I won't update until there is an "official" release though. I stayed away from the pre-release 1.8 and I'll do the same with this "leak."

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

IUG posted:

TNT does not blow up obsidian though. So it won't unless it clears the portal part away somehow.

Which typing that just now gave me the idea of having 6 sticky pistons lined up behind the portal, and pressing a button to push cobblestone or whatever into the portal, covering them, and when they retract they might clear the portal.

Just tried this. Pistons won't push blocks into portals unfortunately.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

It's Optimine. You'd have better luck asking for stuff like that in the mod thread though.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

toggle posted:

So some fuckwit on the official forums just messaged me saying that he is going to use the story line from my adventure maps for his "retail console game". He doesn't want my permission, but he just wanted to let me know that he was going to use it. Such a nice guy.

The Minecraft community really is amazing.

How did he preface it? Did he just message you saying "I like your map so I'm robbing the story ktnxbye" or what?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

I've been on peaceful, but I've always seen animals spawn on peaceful. I have yet to see any food-giving mob at all. And I've been actively digging in the mines, making a tree farm, and building a house from the cut down trunks of said tree farm.

I may be wrong but I believe that edible mobs don't spawn in 1.8. If they do, they have a really low chance of spawning. I think it has something to do with the new animal farming thing Notch is currently tweaking. Animals don't spawn after the first batch, but they also don't despawn.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Skull Servant fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Skull Servant fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 17, 2012