Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kin posted:

Made more headway. Now i have a bed! (and a first attempt at a mine down the back end of my expanded hovel.

It's a lot of work though (a lot more than Terraria) so playing with other goons on a group task seems like it might be a lot more appealing to me.

It took me a long time to get used to it but my current world is my first large scale building projects. I've built a nice fort for my home base, a cathedral (okay, large church), underwater garden, lighthouse complete with spiral pattern, Mt. Doom, and a huge castle with high walls. And now that I've done all that the hard way I've enabled cheats so that I can build ludicrous structures without hunting for materials for hours or quarrying out massive quantities of stone.

Take your time with the base game to get a feeling for it and then once you're pleased with your accomplishments then it's time to break out those mods and just goof around with giant legos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Minarchist posted:

Anyone else getting really bad lag after a while? I'm exploring a potential seed for the next penislandia map, and the more I explore, the worse the lag gets. I'm hovering between 20-10 fps and its stuttering worse and worse the further out I go.

I'm flying in creative mode, if that's a factor...I'm even giving the game time to catch up but it's still lagging hard.

I ran into that too. It got to the point where I could see the dungeons under the ground because it just couldn't fill in the world fast enough.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Here's a seed for anyone wanting a challenge:

1662097789 (I think I used "Build a Castle in 1.8" but I can't remember for sure).

You start in the middle of the ocean, on a sandbar with two trees. There are tiny islands relatively nearby (though not immediately visible) but none of them have any food on them. I'm now a day and a night of sailing away from my spawn and I haven't found any significant land (I almost started exploring a cave on the first new island I landed on but then I remembered even if I found good stuff I'd starve to death). The only food I've found is sugar cane which apparently is inedible as is sugar. The only animals I've seen are squids.

Basically you've got enough resources to get you off the island but nowhere to go after that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Minecraft: Polynesia - Day 3

I spotted a rise on the horizon this morning and my heart soared but when I reached the island I found only a solitary tree and a bit of grass. No sound but the wind and waves.

A deep pit was next to the tree and it made me uneasy to stay on the island though I finally had found seeds which may grow some sustenance. I resolved myself to harvest what I could and make way before sunset. Who knows what dead things may emerge from that abyss once the moon is up.

(There's go to be something out here but it's like I've spawned in the middle of the Pacific ocean.)

Edit: I found the island with the cave but I missed the one with three trees. The one with the cave is where I didn't want to go down until I found a food source.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I found a seed for anyone looking for something a bit easier for survival mode in 1.8: Duck Farts

Starts in a swamp with lots of chickens running around but there's a hill with a cave in it. Just inside that cave is a metric ton of coal and if you climb the hill you see this:

Pretty much anything you need to get you started is right there. The only complication is I had a small army of skeletons and creepers hanging out at the cave entrance and they weren't willing to come out into the sun.

I also found my first rose that I've seen generated in 1.8. Of course I only got it by screwing around with bonemeal to make giant mushrooms so they may not be spawning on their own...

Edit: When I was exploring the natural cave under the swamp the passage suddenly opened up into the intersection of two ravines with lava flows everywhere and every kind of monster clinging to the walls at some point. It's insane.

Edit2: And when I unpaused an rear end in a top hat Enderman shoved me off the cliff into the lava pool about twenty blocks below. I think 1.8 is going to be just fine...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 10, 2011

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, so, what's the deal with these huge mushrooms? I haven't played the leak, not going to until the official 1.8 comes out, but as I understand, these randomly spawn places, you can't collect any of it, you can only deal with what's there. Correct?

Does using bonemeal make them?

I think they're supposed to grow to that size underground sometimes but you can make them by planting a mushroom (doesn't work on ones that are growing naturally) and then using bonemeal on them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I found the mainland on the sea seed posted earlier, it's eastish about 3 or 4 days sailing. Big desert.

EDIT: To be more specific, the seed 1662097789

Glad to know it's out there. My first expedition was west and I eventually starved to death when I reached an island I was going to try cultivation on. I started a second attempt and settled the first large island I found sailing east (about a full day's trip). There I found a vast cavern and mine complex below the island and enough spiderwebs that I could get string, make wool, and eventually get a bed. I may bake myself a few loaves of bread and keep going east to see if I can find that desert.

Edit: The big circular lagoon at that island is actually a giant crater with a hole in the bottom of it that lets it drain into the mines. I wound up digging down into them from the pit on the island, though.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 11, 2011

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Land ho!

Now to explore the shoreline and look for native people to exploit.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I ran into an interesting item recovering bug. I died while exploring one of the massive cave complexes when I got gangbanged by a spider spawner. I didn't feel like doing the run right that second so I quit for a while and came back. I rushed out when I restarted but when I got to the spot where I died there was just an XP orb there. And when I touched that one orb I was absorbing XP for about twenty or thirty seconds which makes me think that all of my items got converted to XP orbs.

I've been trying to duplicate the effect but I haven't been able to so far.

Bellend Sebastian posted:

Absolutely loving the changes to 1.8 barring one minor thing, the abandoned mines are too big and sprawling.

I kind of agree with this but I think the issue is just that all the great new underground features are too common. In every hole I dig I find a maze of ravines, honeycombed areas, abandoned mines stacked on each other, and shafts that take me down to bedrock. If it was taken down a notch (no pun intended) so that finding one of these features was something special and not a guarantee it would be better for the exploration part of the game.

Maybe they've cranked up the generation numbers for the sake of the initial release so that everyone is going to find an awesome cave system to play in right off the bat.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 11, 2011

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Strongholds should be cranked up to more than one per world. Keep them fairly rare though. At one you simply could never, ever find it.

I'll agree with that one too. They should be less common than villages (which I've still not stumbled into one on my own though I now have a map to a nearby one), but one a world is just silly.

I thought I'd take a look at how far my journey to the mainland off of seed 1662097789 was using overviewer:

The spot where the spur comes out is one full day's sailing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FirePhoenix posted:

I'm starting to think the oceans may in fact be too large if it takes that long to sail places if you get an island spawn. What happens on SMP if a server starts on an island like that with such a long distance to a mainland? I guess you retry the world but still. And this doesn't seem to be uncommon at all considering the number of posts we've had about island spawns.

I actually like the giant ocean spawns. You have to work hard for survival or exploration. The simple solution for most people who don't want one would be to just generate another world if they wind up on a tiny island in the middle of nowhere as their spawn.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

gently caress those blue spider spawners. Even after I smashed three of those things in about a sixty block radius they still keep coming. I just had eight spiders drop out of a hole in the ceiling onto my head. It was something like this:

Only more underground and William Shatner was on the other side of me.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sanctum posted:

Vines are awesome.

I stuck a few to the side of my cabin thinking they'd be a nice decoration but I swear they're actually kudzu. I think I'm going to have to cut them down.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gooch posted:

I cant figure out how to craft gates and iron bars.

Gates are two sticks on the left, two planks in the middle, two sticks on the right.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Arach posted:

Has the spawn rate of diamond dramatically changed? I'm finding Iron, Coal and reasonable amounts of Gold. But bugger all diamonds now. Mind you I tend to spelunk for it down in the lava pool regions at around y13, because strip mining is dull, but I'm finding bugger all.

It seems like most of the resources got cranked up but not diamonds. They're still down there but I'm finding them at about the same rate as I did before while I'm swimming in iron and gold.

My new house is perfectly safe from Endermen:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

loving Endermen. I was off scouting locations for my next building project. I got back to my pirate ship and went down to the hold to find this:

Not only did they somehow learn how to swim. Not only did they steal a piece of my hull leaving a hole in the ship. But those assholes stole a piece of my mast and the ladder attached to it!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

More weird endermen behavior. Besides sneaking onto my ship and stealing pieces of it while I was away they took a water block. Water that destroys them and somehow they managed to steal a block of it.

There's definitely something wrong with the modeling of endermen behavior when the player isn't in the same area.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zoe posted:

Whoever it was that suggested a score-based system had the right idea I think. Killing a player is worth X points, finding a chest on the surface with a special item is worth X, and being the third-second-last person alive or any other achievement you feel like rewarding is worth something too.

If you're going to do that then make construction worth some points to. Maybe a bit harder to work out the specifics but making people build in addition to explore fits the motif of Minecraft and makes it more likely for people to interact. (Maybe the suggested invisible game master could have announcements like "You have ten minutes to build a stonehenge style stone circle. Eight arches that are at least four cubes tall and an altar in the middle. You will be eliminated if this is not completed in time.")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Monicro posted:

Oh man, that was the best. I'm a bit disappointed considering I was rooting for kurt ever since pause died, but I never expected a minecraft video to be quite that exciting.

In that final showdown I was hoping Kurt would do something other than run run around and try to shoot. I know in the heat of the moment it can be hard to think of these things but the ending reminded me of the end of Wrath of Khan, two dimensional thinking all the way. If Kurt had just dug down and then tunneled over to Guude he would have come out in a blind spot and had many more options like chopping the leaves out from underneath him or setting the tree on fire (okay, maybe not that one in the rain...).