Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010
Thought I'd share a few pictures of some stuff I built on the Seriouscraft server:

Texture pack is NorseCraft :black101: :rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010

...he wore the hat :ughh:

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010
It had to be done.

http://pigtales.minecraft.net/21e4d76ee2e449faadbe0d3cb6a9a2e5

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010
This might be a long shot, but I'm looking for some pictures that were posted in the last thread; the pictures were of some guy's white, minimalist house that looked something like two cuboids stacked on top of each other, facing different directions. Did anyone save them?

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010
From the "BigIslands" seed mentioned earlier:

The pictures don't do it justice, both were taken from opposite ends of the ravine, and it's pretty drat long. This game... :aaaaa:

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010
I don't know if there's a mod with this in it, but a cool feature might be to be able to add torches to arrows (in place of flint on the crafting square) so that when you're exploring some cavernous abandoned mine, you can fire some ahead of you and have them stick to the walls, lighting up the surrounding area.

Also TNT arrows.

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010

Semisponge posted:

I was totally surprised to actually find a stronghold last night!

Pretty cool.

For a minute there, I looked at this and thought "wow, this is a pretty amazing above-ground formation" before realising that it was, of course, underground.
I know we all have different ideas about what we'd like in the game, but I'd love if notch focussed a bit more on adding cool above-ground geographical features like ridges, mountain ranges, glaciers, etc., all with their own weather extremes.

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010

Tengames posted:

Minecraft's development has been completely erratic and constantly shifting from one thing to another. he would work on one feature that sounded fun, but isntead of focusing on it and perfecting it and making sure the code would work fine, would get bored and jump onto something else like a kid who's tired of playing with this new toy.

I kind of agree with you here. Maybe one of the reasons for this was that people started playing Minecraft when it was still in Alpha.
It seems like Notch started off with the base game, without thinking about what features were going to be in the end product, and whether the end product was going to be an FPS or and RPG or both. I've never made a game before in my life, but I imagine that it's something you plan extensively before you start, knowing, more or less, what will go in to the final game. I think the idea of having people alpha and beta-test your game is great, especially if they get it at a reduced price. It's just a pity it wasn't planned out more thoroughly.

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Man I spent ~30 levels on two gold pickaxes trying to get silk touch. Instead got unbreaking II/efficiency II/ fortune I and unbreaking III on the other. Not bad I guess but I already have a diamond pick with unbreaking III. :/ think I'll just invedit some ice blocks already, man.

Anyway there's not enough pictures itt so here ya go:

My little hovel on an alto plano. The chimney is at height limit.

I like the world a lot but I'm afraid to explore any more since I gen'd it on one of the pre-releases and idk if the terrain generator has changed.

This is really lovely, any chance you could upload the save file? I'm always impressed by these small but elegantly-designed houses and gardens in Minecraft. I honestly couldn't give a poo poo about mega-structures and primitive red-stone video games, the best buildings in Minecraft are ones that are subtly impressive and yet don't look like whoever built it lost a weeks worth of sleep over it (I mean that in the best way possible).

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010
When the API comes out, will we start seeing total conversion mods of Minecraft? It might be kind of cool to see what other people can do with the base game.

Fledgling Gulps posted:

You don't have PM's so here you go

https://rapidshare.com/files/4136067444/New_World.7z

Thanks! :)

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010

MikeJF posted:

I want to make a dark train tunnel. Is there something I can lay tracks on that will stop spawning? Obviously the half-tile trick won't work.

You could try digging 2 or 3 deep trenches either side of the track. It's not guaranteed to work, but if the mob moves much at all, there's probably a good chance that they'll fall down there.

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

As someone mentioned, it's a much better idea if they just built small, creepy structures like shrines and totems around the place, and for that matter I think they should build them out of materials that they just conjure up magically (so it doesn't erode your environment). Bonus points if the material is some wierd block that the player couldn't aquire anywhere else, and has a use of some sort.

It'd be great too if they only made their presence known after you played a some number of hours or collected a certain amount of materials.

This could be done for NPC villages too; you'd start off the game on your own, build your house or castle or whatever, and once you ventured outside your immediate surroundings, you'd notice villages or small towns. NPCs might ask you to do quests in return for rare items or access to their stores of materials. You could have the game so that it would allow you other ways to acquire these items, but the items would be rare enough that it would be worthwhile actually accepting the quests instead of digging around for them. That way, the people who just want to build things could go about their own business and ignore the villagers, while the other players could feel like they're part of a narrative that doesn't simply consist of a poorly-implemented boss fight.

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010

That's a lovely little house you have there! I actually prefer the smaller, but more detailed builds like these. There was a really cool one some goon posted pictures of a while ago - it was a small triangular house on top of a hill with a little farm outside - but I think it was in the last thread, so it's probably long gone.

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010
Is there any mod that adds half dirt blocks? Like dirt slabs, ones that are generated on the surface of the world? I always thought that would be kind of cool.

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010
I found a nice seed recently that spawns you on the edge of a large jungle biome, right next to a beach.

There's a temple only a short walk down the beach to the left:

I decided to dig out a passage in this conspicuous-looking shelf of stone, right on the beach front (temple is behind)...

...which led to an underground ravine with a little skylight near the entrance to the temple!

Sorry, only realised now that the pictures were a little dark. I thought it was a pretty cool seed, and I'm still using the default textures and short draw distance.

ninja edit: Whoops, forgot to post the seed :doh:
Here it is: 1788431463462730903

Dwayne Bensey fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 17, 2012

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010
I've been playing a bit of Tekkit recently, but I find that it kind of hits the other end of the spectrum to Minecraft in terms of how much content there is. Minecraft seems a bit boring to me after finding a few diamonds, but Tekkit just has so much stuff in it that I find it a bit hard to get my head around. Are there any mods that strike a kind of happy medium and that will allow me to build some cool stuff without getting bored too quickly and without having to constantly check the wiki?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010

Laser Spider posted:

Just so you know, you might have better luck asking about mods in the Minecraft mod thread.

Oops, forgot about that thread!

Taffer posted:

Twilight forest adds a really cool world with lots of bosses and magic loot and stuff, but has none of the crazy tech stuff so no wiki checking required. It's mainly about exploring and doing cool poo poo. Applied Energistics is a tech mod, but it will save you from having to deal with the 500 chests problem that minecraft has. It's fairly simple though so won't require a million wiki checks once you figure out the basic parts.

That Twilight Forest mod looks pretty cool so may check that out, thanks! Something that strikes a nice balance between building stuff and exploring and collecting items but that's not completely bloated would be ideal.

Vib Rib posted:

I see huge, impossible factories with so much wiring, and nearly every other post is a question about machine functionality in some high-tech mod, and then someone shows off their small side area where they have a tier 5 soul cage spawner dropping mobs constantly and harvesting all their XP and loot.
JUST a tier 5 enderman or pigman spawner and EE3 will get you unlimited diamonds faster than you could spend them unless maybe you were building a castle of diamond blocks.

So if that's a tiny little side-portion of the factory, what's it all building to? It seems to surpass the normal scope and goals of minecraft resources so wholly and so quickly that I don't really understand the point. I see huge, towering storage tanks of lava and fuel, and I say "what are those for?", and they're for powering this enormous array of all kinds of machines. But what are those for? It seems like most tech mods don't just go overboard, so many of them only solve problems that exist because they introduced them in the first place. I guess it just feels... I don't know how to express it, really. Overdeveloped, maybe?

I'm with you on that one. Sure, I enjoyed Tekkit, but after a while it seems like you're building all these machines only to have build increasingly advanced ones later on when you need more resources. It definitely extends the gameplay a bit, but for me it doesn't really give you a good enough reason to spend such a large amount of time in order to build a nuclear reactor/get power armour, never mind consulting the wiki or accidentaly losing your MFE after breaking it with a pick because it's Industrial Craft 2 and not Buildcraft and because the mods don't always play nice with each other. People seem to really like it though, so maybe it's simply a personal preference. To me, it just seems a bit grindy.