Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Didn't the guy who started this Minecraft chain world turn it into a religion of some sort? I remember reading that and just laughing at how stupid it was.

EDIT: I don't mean this one, the one that inspired Danyull to make one.

EDIT2: Here it is:

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/07/mf_chainworld/all/1

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

dont eat a carb posted:

Oh.

:suicide:

And now I will continue to play on Peaceful.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Skanky Burns posted:

Yes, I too find holding the "shift" key to be difficult...

If you've been playing Minecraft from the beginning, you'd remember the days of no crouching. :colbert: Hell I forget there's a crouch key from time to time, but that has to do more with the fact that I rarely play the game.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Oh boy, I hope my new computer gets here before the update. :allears:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I would be for a ghost that spawned upon your demise. And when it died, it spawned a chest that would have all your old items. That way, you have a challenge and you're able to keep all your items.

EDIT: And if you died to (or on your way to) the ghost the previous ghost would despwan. That way you could only recover one chest at a time.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 7, 2011

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Got my new computer and lo and behold, it too can't play Minecraft without stuttering to a halt.

Also my old computer can't play it anymore due to "bad drivers" or something.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
With how this game just refuses to play on any of my computers since the update, I have given up on Minecraft.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Fatkraken posted:

I haven't played for months because my main machine is busted but these new patches look awesome

Will minecraft run on my old POS laptop?

1.8 made so older graphic cards are unsupported so you may not be able to.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Evil Mastermind posted:

Stupid question time: how long does it take trees to grow? I was under the impression that as long as it had sun, it'd grow on its own, but mine aren't doing anything.

Bonemeal makes it instantaneous.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Has kas updated Painterly for 1.9 yet? I know Pre4 just came out, but has he done anything for Pre3 and below?

I can't play Minecraft without it. :negative:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Just got my new Painterly Pack set up, thanks kas!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I got into the game because of the first thread for Minecraft here. This was pre-indev, so all I had was creative mode. I played that for the entire day. I finally bought it sometime after infdev started.

God those were the days... :unsmith:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

CaptainCaveman posted:

I don't know if you guys play with monitors an awful lot brighter than mine or what, but if you're posting a screenshot to show something off, it might be worthwhile to make sure it's actually bright enough to see.

I could see it just fine, you have a poo poo monitor I suppose. :smug:

Too bad this computer can't play Minecraft. :smithicide:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Wait, the game's officially out now?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Schwarzwald posted:

The release is the 18th.

Okay, good. Because if on the 18th Minecraft still does not play on my computer, I'm going to see if I can't get a refund.

At that point it should really be able to play on a Windows 7 computer.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Vib Rib posted:

I don't think operating system has anything to do with a computer's actual speed or power. I get what you're saying, I mean, but I don't think "my computer can't run it" is really grounds for a refund with most PC games.

I don't know what to say, it doesn't load on my old Vista computer and it only plays at like 5 FPS while attempting to fry my video card on my Windows 7 computer.

It used to play just fine on the Vista until 1.6 or so.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Shredder posted:

The youtube stream at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcuAA-n2zog is working better than the IGN one for me.

What the gently caress did I just watch? :confused:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

The King of Swag posted:

This is an odd question, but does anyone know what sound librar(y|ies) Notch purchased the Minecraft sound effects from? I never really paid much attention to it before, but I've noticed that Minecraft uses an odd assortment of what appears to mostly be cheap generic library sounds (for instance, the 'pop' sound when picking up items), intermingled with poor quality free generic library sounds (the zombie 'moan' comes to mind).

I only notice because I was just recently looking at some sound effect libraries, and the high quality libraries (the type used in expensive commercial productions) range in price from several hundred (specific packages such as monster sounds) to several thousand (all-encompassing packages). These are prices that Mojang should be easily capable of affording, especially for something as critical as sound design; something that is easily overlooked but adds immensely to the atmosphere.

At the very least I would have expected them to have purchased access to one of the numerous small but quality sound packages (<$100) available from a variety of companies.

It's all that much more noticeable in contrast to the soundtrack, which is in fact high quality and well done.

B-but indie charm! :suicide:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I just wish he'd fix the performance. :( I just installed Optifine and it still gives me single digit FPS.

Man, gently caress Minecraft.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Bicehunter posted:

Can I ask, what type of computer? Specs? OS? View distance?

I'm pretty sure it's Minecraft because it doesn't work on any of the computers at home (I'm at college). Used to work on my home computer until one of the updates dropped support for my video card. :sigh:

EDIT:

Here's what my Minecraft stats look like. That graph just continues to rise and my FPS continues to drop. :smith:

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 8, 2012

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Bicehunter posted:

Make sure that you

1. get the latest drivers from nvidia, it looks like it is a 525M from nvidia in it, if N5110 is the Dell Inspiron..

2. Make sure that windows 7 has not chosen to use the built in intel gpu instead of your 525M (slim chance this is the problem, but who knows). This technique of switching between a "powerful" and integrated gpu is called nvidia optimus and it does not always work.. http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimus_technology.html

That didn't work. It said that the driver wasn't validated for my computer. :psyduck:

You know, if Notch had any idea on how to properly code a game I wouldn't have this problem. Every other game I have on my computer works just fine and dandy.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Bicehunter posted:

Oh well. Just so you rule it out.. do you have a nvidia control panel? Can you go see specific settings for games? Add minecraft/java vm I guess????? (not the minecraft.exe since that is just a launcher that starts the jvm with right jars) and make sure it is not that optimus issue (you should be able to choose the 525M instead of intel chipset somewhere when you modify settings for a specific program in the nvidia control panel).

Actually, I have an Intel(R) HD Graphics Family graphics card. :downs:

And that gives me the "not validated" message either.

I really really hate Notch and Minecraft right now. Apparently even Intel can't tell me what video driver I have.

Welp, time to go get a working graphics card. :suicide:

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 8, 2012

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
At this point I'm convinced that this laptop did not come with an Nvidia graphics card. :negative: There's no Nvidia control panel or Nvidia anything that I can find. I'm at my wits end. This pisses me off more than my inability to play Minecraft.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

My computer doesn't seem to detect any other graphics cards. And WinAudit says the same. :negative:

What the gently caress Dell? :argh:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Revol posted:

Check the BIOS for an Optimus setting.

And how do I do that? Although I'm certain that that will just say the same thing.

AlexDeGruven posted:

When I looked up the model you quoted, it only showed the Intel graphics.

That being said, it quoted series 6, which should be better than the series 4 in my laptop. My laptop runs at around 20-30fps with OptiFine.

Can I have your laptop? Because this one's about to go through the window.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

HauntedRobot posted:

So this story goes from "Notch can't code for poo poo, Minecraft runs like rear end" to "My computer has a crap and/or broken graphics system".

Hey, when a game like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 works on your laptop (but shouldn't, as Can You Run says) but Minecraft won't, you chalk it up to terrible Java programing.

Revol posted:

Edit: Actually, I don't think this is going to be Optimus anyways. The N5110 doesn't have actual graphics 'cards', it's all discrete, built into the motherboard.

Great, hope that doesn't mean I can't get a graphics card for it. :smith:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Doesn't loving matter anymore, I messed around with a lot of the settings that I assume came with optifine and I can keep around 40 FPS.

I just can't see that far ahead. :negative:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

nippon nifties posted:

Here it is brightened/blown up for reference

It looks like redstone ore to me.

EDIT: VVV Haven't played with the normal texture pack in a long time. VVV

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 23, 2012

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Trivia posted:

Another solution would be to have a 'nest' of sorts for each mob during the night. As the light levels dim, a nest appears and spawns mobs at a fixed rate. For each spawner there is a certain amount of XP available. You can gain this XP by either killing the mobs until they stop giving XP, or gain it all by destroying the spawner. This seems like a good trade off for risk/reward, especially if each spawner has random properties as to the difficulty of the mob.

However, since combat is so drat easy in this game (and netcode so drat bad), I prefer using XP farmsx as grinding out 30 levels to get good enchants is annoying as is, and would only be worse if it were nerfed.

It would be cool if instead of spawner dungeons we got something more like a natural environment for each of the mobs. For example, a cemetery for zombies and skeletons, a giant web for spiders and some kind of hive for creepers. Maybe destroying the nest in an area would lower the spawn rate for that type of mob.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Mr. Wynand posted:

You loving whippersnappers and your post-2002 childhoods :argh:

They don't have the instructions for my beloved Ice Station Odyssey :smith:

Nor do they have the Insectoids. :smith:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

chrisf posted:

Catalyst is ATI, right? Minecraft has had opengl/ati issues in the past, check your video card drivers and all that. Google is showing lots of people with an AMD 5750 have problems with the newer lwjgl libs that minecraft 1.6/1.7 use.

This is what killed Minecraft for me years ago. They never fixed this issue.

I really liked Minecraft when it was less survival bullshit and more about building poo poo with your friends. My friends play the 360 version but they only like to play Survival Hard :cry:.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Combat sucks in Minecraft. Stick to creative mode and have fun building instead of having to spend five hours digging out a poo poo ton of stone for your castle.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

IronicDongz posted:

I get bored of creative in like 15 minutes, having to work to find and gather the resources(and often make things that have a purpose) makes the structure in the end way more significant.

Meh, I find my resource gathered structures are half-assed and usually given up on where my creative mode ones look cool because I can make a diamond floor without having to spend four years mining enough diamond. I like using the rare stuff.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Enzer posted:

Correct, there was a bunch of drama before the DMCA hit regarding the old lead dev for Bukkit retiring and attempting to shut down the project including the github for the project stating that Bukkit would not be updating to 1.8 and everything was shutting down. Then Mojang stepped in stating that they own the project and that Dinnerbone would update it himself in his free time to 1.8 if some of the Bukkit devs wished to no longer work on the project.

Then like a week and a half later one of the ex-Bukkit devs DMCA'd the project, shutting the whole thing down.

So there is no 1.8 version of Bukkit until the DMCA is sorted.

Thanks for reminding me why Minecraft fans are the absolute loving worst.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I'm so used to the console version of Minecraft (because it still wont work on my computer :argh:) that it's stone tools all the time. Iron becoming a rare material was real bullshit.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

*shrug*

Despite mostly using the game to build things, I don't actually enjoy creative mode. Maybe the slower pace helps with the process a bit? I've always preferred to work under restrictions as working on a creative project without restrictions kind of feels pointless to me, doesn't hold my attention.

It's also part of why I like making things in minecraft in general, the blocky look itself is a restriction and I like trying to make things that look good in that style.

I guess to me a build isn't the final result, it's also all of the stages that it took to get there, and there are more of those when you're mining your own resources. An incomplete tower with the main supports and no furnishings covered in snow is also a thing, even if it then becomes a complete structure afterwards.

Besides as I reset my world as soon as I've built enough I'd have to spend a lot of time foraging for materials. Using basic tools mean I can spend now building things, even if it's slower, and I can do the same again when I reset the world.#

I use iron if I have it, obviously, but as I don't go caving unless I need something from the cave, I don't usually have much of it, and what I do have usually gets spent on fences.

He wasn't talking about creative. Survival Mincraft on the PC is an infinite world. You will never run out of iron veins. In the console version iron is a limited resource.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Y Z Debate posted:

:words:

Holy hell that is the :spergin: thing I've ever read.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Swastikas everywhere.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

IronicDongz posted:

uuuugh I didn't want to ever remember that

That was around when I quit playing the PC version (not of my own volition :argh:), did they remove that poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
And what am I supposed to be looking at in that picture?