Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

DoubleDown11 posted:

I don't know if this is appropriate for this thread or not but I'm going to ask anyway:
I'm looking to buy a mini-pc, and since the only thing I really do with my desktop nowadays is play minecraft I wanted to get one that ran the game better than my current lovely computer. The one I'm looking at (the dell zino 410) has an AMD Phenom II X4 P960 Quad Core Processor 1.8GHz, 6 gigs of ram, and an AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5450 MXM Discrete Graphics Card.
I am pretty stupid with computers so please forgive me if these are not the stats that would actually be usefull. Will this setup run Minecraft well?

Throw an SSD in that and you should be fine. The Phenom there is a bit slowish but should be plenty for minecraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

A Sassy Dog posted:

Last I heard we were still on the "week after PAX" schedule.

And they did show off stuff at Gamescom - but it was the Portable edition, not 1.8.

Mojang didn't have any of their staff at Gamescom even - they sent Xephos and Honeydew amongst others to work the Sony-Ericsson booth for Minecraft's release.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

Klyith posted:

Huge disagreement here. An SSD is not going to improve the performance of a computer like that -- and I doubt would ever help minecraft in any computer under normal circumstances.

Minecraft is actually limited quite a bit by hard drive read speed, in loading/unloading chunks. SSD would /definitely/ serve well there.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

MikeJF posted:

drat, I just checked, and glowstone puts out the same light as torches. I was kinda hoping it'd put out sunlight colour light instead to give us a variation.

Also, I haven't actually found a mine yet (or a village, in creative. Are they not spawning in creative mode) but I can't see cracked or mossy stone brick blocks in creative. Did they make it in?

Yes but some blocks are apperently missing in creative.

The cracked and mossy stone bricks are only in Strongholds.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

Taffer posted:

I forget the name of it now, but there was a really good audio mod that I used with Yogbox in 1.7, had loads of ambient sounds and good volume control. Anyone know the name of that?

mAtmos

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

Mr Scumbag posted:

If anyone is overreacting and frothing with hyperbole, it's people who come out with stuff (bolded)like this whenever anyone expresses discontent with the development of Minecraft.

See, this attitude is just as bad. No-one is "thinking the world is ending" because of snowmen. I'm really over the strawmen arguments people come up with to make anyone with any criticism look like a fanatic. Is it so inconceivable that there might be people who don't share your optimism and love for the development progress and decisions for the game?

The snowman is yet another thing that is being put into the game while there are completely broken or useless or unfinished systems that need work. Those of us who have been playing since early alpha are longing for more of a game, and it's frustrating to see a bunch of stuff being added which add no direction of any kind.

That's fine that you feel different, but it's ok for people to be disappointed or frustrated. Coming up with hyperbole like accusing people of "losing their minds" and thinking that "the world is coming to an end" because of snowmen is completely disingenuous, moreso because people have explained why they are disappointed.

Again, it's Notch's game and he can do what he likes, but people are allowed an opinion and it's about time they weren't labeled as having "entitlement complexes" and "losing their minds" every time they say something that the white nights disagree with.

E: I should also mention that I have been unable to play for more than 5 - 10 mins without OOM crashes since 1.8 while all previous versions were fine. I'd like to see that addressed before snowmen. Yes, I've tried different versions of Java, memory adjustments, I have 32 bit Java/OS and have since re-installed Windows to no effect. The game is broken for some people, plain and simple.

Your high school essays certainly convince /me/ that you're not losing your mind and thinking the world is ending that's for sure!

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

Apocadall posted:

Being able to destroy blocks with your weapons makes me excited about this.

I'm imagining planet destroying weapons :allears:

Not only that, but they've got the starts of a fluid and gas simulation system in the works - which means eventually you'll be able to have things like reactor breaches irradiating everyone onboard or gas seeping out a hole blasted in the side of your ships, slowly suffocating you.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!
There is no way that is resource efficient. But it is still awesome.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

MisterBibs posted:

Is it that you can see the feathers dropping before the slats (unless I'm mistaken), meaning he placed the 'results' there himself?

At the point of the explosion you can see feathers dropping as well as the minecraft, meaning the chickens are dead at the point of launch.

More importantly: who the gently caress cares, it is a video about internet legos meant as a joke.

lizzyinthesky fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 4, 2011

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

SMP posted:

I think the only thing it needs now is some color. Right now it looks terribly unfinished.

I have a feeling we'll get variable dragon color, like we have with leaves and such.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!
Yah, that's Kristen Schaal http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1102891/. Also note: that is not a TV commercial, it's an internet contest promotion (put together by the guys at hat-films.com who did the 1.7 and 1.8 trailers and the weird puppet poo poo and do a pretty decent LP series themselves)

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

Vib Rib posted:

Let's be honest, in practice -- in the extent the player is actually influenced by it -- Dwarf Fortress's combat is not much more complex than Minecraft's. Two entities run up to each other, there's a bunch of red flashing, and then one of them dies.
For as much as it's lauded, DF's intricate and detailed combat amounts to hardly more than a huge system written to create fluff, because so little of it actually affects the player in any way.

Someone could just write a mod for Minecraft where whenever you hit an enemy, it generates a paragraph-long description of all the damage you just did in grisly detail. It'd be about the same end result.

Someone hasn't played Adventure Mode, where the combat system becomes totally controllable in all those details - aiming individual weapon attacks at individual fingers is even a thing. Of course it's turn based and so completely incompatible with Minecraft anyway.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

Schwarzwald posted:

Google Earth has the entire geography of the USA (and the world) mapped. I don't think it would be impossible to just transfer that information into Minecraft in a similar fashion to how you transfer Kinect data. You could automate the whole process. It wouldn't get the caves, however.

Been done. http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/224048-creation-the-earth-updated-final/

It's not 1:1 but it's kind of cool. Would be nice if they updated it again for 1.8/9 but I can imagine the import script they used took hours to days to run.

lizzyinthesky fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 17, 2011

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

Lavender Philtrum posted:

If anyone asks, tell them your name is Andy.

4 months of vacation a year is pretty rough, he needs at least 8 if he wants to work out.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

NeilPerry posted:

How can the yogscast live with themselves knowing one of their premium members on their forums is an out of the closet furry?

Premium means they paid money. I would let furries pay me money to be allowed on my hypothetical website.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

senae posted:

That excuse doesn't exist anymore. Minecraft is officially a finished game.

Assuming you ignore all the features notch said had to be in minecraft for him to consider it 1.0. Oops!

http://www.toodledo.com/tasks/public.php?id=td4b49fbf9c05a0 A refresher, this was Notch's to do list that is now not kept on the minecraft website as it was in the past.

A blow by blow of failures, mostly listed as due before beta:

Thwart hacking! (not even relatively close to done)
Add a new sound engine that WORKS (again never done)
Split out logic into a separate thread (Nope)
Survival mode multiplayer (Something Notch actually finished? Gasp.)
More crafting templates (Well, kinda. New things here and there. Could have been better)
Server-side scipting (Not AFAIK, only through modders work)
Investigate floating blocks falling to the ground (Nope, only triggered/active sand and gravel do this)
Fix the isometric image screenshot thing (Nope)
Land-claim flags (Nope)
Explore clan support (Nope)
Investigate smoke block (Nope)
'Dungeon Mode' (Not even close, this would include better traps. Some of the features made it vaguely)
Dye (A useless feature that did make it through)
Seasons (Nope)
Make moss grow on rock (I think it does that? But I may be thinking of a mod)
Generic tile to tile interaction support (I don't even know what this means)

lizzyinthesky fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 26, 2011

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!
I can't help but think with all this kerfuffle over Ponies that we're all forgetting the /true/ magic of Friendship.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

Boat posted:

e: thinking about it, it should make the backend of Painterly a a poo poo TON simpler. No more stitching a billion different selections into terrain.png and items.png, now it'll just be select texture, get that texture as a file.

Possibly still stitching for the GUI stuff & particles though...

Really the problem here is he doesn't have a working Backend at all. He's paid Pixotic for the past year trying to get a new one made only to come out with nothing :/ And the current seems to be falling apart more and more every day, with the original creator long gone.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

Enzer posted:

God forbid there are new systems like Hopper that need to be integrated into the launcher eventually and god forbid that the launcher is just one of many projects they are working on. Bitch moan, Mojang has money, bitch moan modders modders modders. I love how people in this thread constantly bitch about the devs and that modders can do poo poo better but in the modding thread all you guys do is bitch about modders and about how they are the worst thing in minecraft most of the time. :jerkbag:

How dare people demand a company making literally hundreds of millions of dollars hire like maybe half a dozen programmers to provide a service they were promised. Gamers are so loving entitled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!
I finally saw the Playstation version over at my mom's house for the evening and it had a pretty solid tutorial section seemingly. Don't see a reason why they couldn't make that a thing for the prime version.