Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Wait, you're yelling at your computer because you can't get on the Minecraft forums? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
If you want unlimited materials, use TooManyItems. If you want to clear out huge spaces, use SinglePlayerCommands + WorldEdit (or use MCEdit to edit worlds outside of Minecraft, which is a bit easier). Use zombe's mods to fly. RedPower is the single-block gates mod with better wires and LED's. SPC technically has flying and item mods built in, but they're clunky and awkward to use compared to the other two.

TooManyItems:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/140684-173-toomanyitems-in-game-invedit-july-1/

Single Player Commands/WorldEdit:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/94310-173-single-player-commands-v210-2/

Zombe's Modpack:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/91055-v173-zombes-modpack-26-mods-v433-upd-1sep/

RedPower:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/365357-173-eloraams-mods-redpower-v171-integrated-redstone-now-redpower-logic-redstone-pipe/

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Creepers are still scary as gently caress and explosions are still bad if they happen right next to your house.

Although really I could live with just death chest. The thing I hate most about losing items is the time limit, and that slipping into lava is a way bigger problem than the monsters.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I really hope someone mods out hunger once 1.8 comes out, because if there's anything I hate it's wandering around on the surface grinding wool/leather/pork/feathers/wood for ages. Also having to come up to the surface for more wood already sucks. I like how peaceful is going to be the only difficulty that doesn't hurt you for not eating.

E: vvvv I actually cheated when I almost fell in lava using the Equivalent Exchange mod because I wasn't going to lose 30-60 diamonds worth of equipment from one death, plus my destruction catalyst.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is there a reason you don't have an underground tree farm?

I wander around underground a lot and get lost easily, even with double torches marking the way back. v:shobon:v

If I made it I'd never find it again.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

pseudorandom name posted:

When you die and you have a death chest in your inventory, you drop a death chest containing your full inventory. A death chest is black in color and has skulls painted on the outside. Death chests are fireproof, and are spawned floating above lava or water if you burned to death in lava or drowned in water. They're spawned approximately where you died otherwise.
Death chests have enough slots to hold a player's full inventory plus any equipped armor.

When you get near a death chest, it spawns a single wight. When the wight is killed, the death chest unlocks and will no longer spawn wights. A locked death chest can't be opened, so you have to kill the wight before you can retrieve your inventory.

The wight is equipped with the best armor and sword that was in your inventory when you died. If you had a bow and arrows, the wight will use those arrows until it runs out. The wight stays near to the death chest. If the wight despawns due to the player moving out of range, the next time a player moves into the range of the death chest the wight is spawned again at full health.

While the wight is wearing your armor and equipped with your sword and bow, these items are not dropped by the wight when it dies. Instead, they can be found in the death chest.

Once a death chest is completely emptied, it vanishes from the world in a puff of smoke.

The recipe for a death chest is eight blocks of obsidian in the usual chest arrangement with 5 bones in the center.

Go to work, modders.

This is a good idea. Somebody make this!

It still leaves a severe death penalty, but it's not losing three hours of wandering around caves and still having those caves stripped of resources. I especially like the floating chest idea because even with death chest, the game tends to eat your items before they actually go in the chest. I swear 80% of my deaths are to lava, with the rest of them being creepers.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I love those little poison spiders that spawn in abandoned mines. It's the first time in ages I've died to something that's not lava or a creeper, and it feels pretty good.

Also the hunger system is actually pretty awesome because you constantly regenerate health while full, and you stay full for a long time after you fill the bar up. Also almost all of the friendly mobs drop food.

Also all the new world gen poo poo kicks rear end. God I love this update, best one since minecarts and redstone.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

jsr v2.0 posted:

On both 1.8 and 1.7, the game crashes for me after about 10 minutes due to being out of memory. How do I fix this? I have the most up to date version of Java, and 8 gigs of ram. I never had this problem on my crappier computer with 2 gigs.

It's a glitch right now. That's why this is only a test release. The other major ones are that furnaces sometimes crash the game for some people and that snow doesn't exist.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
My game just did that I think, but I forgot that I had even started it up and was kind of surprised when the launcher appeared like 2 minutes later.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Hoofbite posted:

I found a huge underground ravine and did my best to light it up. By the time I was done I had about 4 stacks of iron.

edit: After finishing that I decided to dig down further at the far end of the ravine in hopes of finding some diamond. I found something else instead:

:stare:

I have a lava river ravine in my world. It's hard to get a good screenshot of it though, since it's in kind of a cramped area where I can't go up real high to get a good shot of it.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Cheeky fuckers. Go off to my mine for fifteen minutes and this happens. :argh:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Poison spiders. Thank god they only spawn in abandoned mineshafts.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
:v: "Hey JVM. Just ignore that error that happened, okay?"
:pcgaming: "OK, sounds good."

There could be something going on behind the scenes, although who knows. Maybe they did just accidentally throw in a random NullPointerException somehow. :psyduck:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Random Stranger posted:

I ran into an interesting item recovering bug. I died while exploring one of the massive cave complexes when I got gangbanged by a spider spawner. I didn't feel like doing the run right that second so I quit for a while and came back. I rushed out when I restarted but when I got to the spot where I died there was just an XP orb there. And when I touched that one orb I was absorbing XP for about twenty or thirty seconds which makes me think that all of my items got converted to XP orbs.

I've been trying to duplicate the effect but I haven't been able to so far.

All your experience drops when you die. It might take longer to disappear than items or something.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Macaluso posted:

So can you make grass now if all you have is dirt (for like an underground/floating garden) or do you still have to set up ridiculous grass stairs?

Ridiculous grass stairs. Endermen can move and place grass, but that's totally random.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
You can just sprint at an enemy to crit them. Also they happen randomly as well.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Allen Wren posted:

Dumb question time - So I launch my 1.8 server, and it immediately starts bitching at me NOT ENOUGH RAM, and reels off the -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M modifiers, so I build a shortcut with the command line as indicated, but now it won't even start, and because modern Windows OSes can't deal with having command windows open anymore, god forbid, I can't even see what goes wrong when the command window flickers on the screen for about five frames. Is there a special thing I should do with the shortcut that I'm not seeing, or what?

It's not a windows problem afaik. I think the commonly googled answer to this problem stuck a "java" too many in the command line. Try removing one of them. If the console windows closes right away that usually means something hosed up.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Are you sure it's java.exe and not javaw.exe? Also isn't Java under Program Files, not Sys32?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I think the problem you're having with the hunger meter is that you need to fill it completely for it to stay full for a while. If you even fill it to 9.5 hams or whatever it'll drain again pretty quickly.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Garbow posted:

I thought that, but why would it spawn the zombie INSIDE my house, if there's a cave under it?

Notch coding. If you want sleep that actually passes time and works well, try Somnia if it gets updated to 1.8.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
1.9 New Features:
-Snow! Falls in tundra and arctic biomes!
-Roses! Grow randomly on grass.

Notch! :argh:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Honestly a lot of things in 1.8 aren't shaping up so well so far. Friendly mobs that never respawn, starting you in oceans that literally take days to cross, snow and roses gone completely, huge mountains all over the map (which are cool, but holy god are there a lot of them), Endermen being kind of gimmicky, and a lot more performance problems than before. Also the new lighting kind of hurts my eyes and they start watering if any part of a cave isn't lit with white instead of orange.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
You probably shouldn't punch mountains so hard next time. Seriously, look at your fist, there's blood all over it.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

MeinGott posted:

Sprinting and jumping at the same time across long flat areas makes me pretend I'm a kangaroo :3:

I pretend I'm playing Quake and rotate my view slowly back and forth while alternating on the left and right keys. HOOH! HOOH! HOOH!

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Semisponge posted:

Uh...

Clearly it's an organic diode. :colbert:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

So are 'ghost blocks' just a "thing" now? No matter how many times I reinstall the game or how I fiddle with the settings, I can't get away from blocks that don't actually disappear when I break them or don't appear when I place them. This happens with mods, this happens without mods, with the default texture pack, with custom texture packs, with the graphics on fast and with the graphics on fancy.

I'll also usually run across big swaths of land where every block is invisible and I can see in to the caves/dungeons below.

This has been happening to me since around the time 1.7 came out and has made the game unplayable. Does anyone else get this issue, or is it just me? I've read over the Known Bugs section of the wiki and saw no mention of it.

This is a connection problem. That's what happens when you're lagging. Unless you're playing single player, then I have no idea what the gently caress.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Pound_Coin posted:

So... I cooked a porkchop, but I can't eat it, little help?

If you're full (hunger meter on the left), you can't eat. Also you have to hold right click.

Basically food doesn't heal you itself anymore, but if you're at 9 hams or greater you slow regenerate health. If you're at 0 hams you lose them until you hit 4 hearts on easy, half a heart on medium, and you die of starvation on hard.

E: You're too quick! :argh:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Chalks posted:

I wonder if they "simulate" Endermen activity rather than spawning the mobs in certain situations and that this system is not disabled in peaceful?

Considering the way Notch implemented beds being exposed to the outdoors I wouldn't be surprised.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Wow, Painterly looks a lot nicer with the new lighting system. I might have to get it another go, I've been using Sphax, SMP, and Quandary lately.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Jervas Dudley posted:

It looks like someone wrote a detailed explanation of hunger on the wiki. This should clear up some of the confusion. The biggest detail is "food saturation" which is an invisible variable raised by food that is depleted before the visible food level. This is why the meter seems to tick down more slowly from full. If both the food level and the food saturation level are full than it takes the same amount of activity to lose the first half a point as it does to lose all the points.

Different foods increase the food saturation level different amounts. Cooked pork, steaks, and mushroom stew all restore 4 hams. Pork and steak both add 12.8 to your FSL, but mushroom stew only adds 9.6.

I think that's a cool touch. Healthy foods like meat, bread, and melons give a lot of saturation relative to how much they fill your hunger bar, while unhealthy food, raw meat, and rotten flesh barely keep you full. Cookies give you almost nothing, for instance. Also the system made golden apples better too. Not enough to justify spending 72 gold on, but at least it keeps you full for twice as long as a steak.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

wise purchase posted:

Hey all, I have to say, this game looks very interesting and I've been considering purchasing it for awhile now, but I'm a bit concerned about the game still being in beta form. If people are paying the creator for an unfinished game, then what incentive does he have to finish the game? Who wants to pay full price for half a game? I mean, I have faith that notch isn't scamming us (he's a gamer like the rest of us, after all) but then I run across stuff like this which shakes my confidence. Do you think the community is robust enough to handle a non-beta minecraft becoming vaporware?

Trust me, you'll get your $15 worth of it. It's just that we used to get secret friday updates all the time, so development's slow relatively speaking.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

AnimalChin posted:

I just started playing this a few days ago and I've probably already sunk in over 30 hours. Holy crap this game is fun.

Is there any way I can run this fullscreen in vista?

How can I farm animals? Is there any way for me to pick them up and put them in a fenced-in area? Or do I have to try and awkwardly corral them by pushing them around?

Yes, hit F11. No, they really are that annoying. Also, only chickens can be reproduced by throwing the eggs that they occasionally drop.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Zorak posted:

It's a sandbox game and I'd guess a lot of you probably have hundreds of hours invested perhaps you should stop being a bit too emotional about its development cycle and whether it metamorphoses into a Fullgamefly or whatever.

There is a lot of really disproportionate reactions going on here.

Thank you, somebody needed to say this.

It's really crazy how everyone here thinks the world is ending because Notch wanted to take a break from his work to do something silly. God drat, it's not a big deal folks. Go play with legos until Notch gives you more legos to play with.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Mr Scumbag posted:

If anyone is overreacting and frothing with hyperbole, it's people who come out with stuff (bolded)like this whenever anyone expresses discontent with the development of Minecraft.

See, this attitude is just as bad. No-one is "thinking the world is ending" because of snowmen. I'm really over the strawmen arguments people come up with to make anyone with any criticism look like a fanatic. Is it so inconceivable that there might be people who don't share your optimism and love for the development progress and decisions for the game?

The snowman is yet another thing that is being put into the game while there are completely broken or useless or unfinished systems that need work. Those of us who have been playing since early alpha are longing for more of a game, and it's frustrating to see a bunch of stuff being added which add no direction of any kind.

That's fine that you feel different, but it's ok for people to be disappointed or frustrated. Coming up with hyperbole like accusing people of "losing their minds" and thinking that "the world is coming to an end" because of snowmen is completely disingenuous, moreso because people have explained why they are disappointed.

Again, it's Notch's game and he can do what he likes, but people are allowed an opinion and it's about time they weren't labeled as having "entitlement complexes" and "losing their minds" every time they say something that the white nights disagree with.

E: I should also mention that I have been unable to play for more than 5 - 10 mins without OOM crashes since 1.8 while all previous versions were fine. I'd like to see that addressed before snowmen. Yes, I've tried different versions of Java, memory adjustments, I have 32 bit Java/OS and have since re-installed Windows to no effect. The game is broken for some people, plain and simple.

Ninja Edit: I was going to explain why you're defeating your own argument with this post right here, but two other posters beat me to it. This isn't loving politics, it's Minecraft. For gently caress's sake.

Now go back to playing with blocks like good little children. I know I'm going to.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Also they're muppets. Which kind of owns.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

lizzyinthesky posted:

Not only that, but they've got the starts of a fluid and gas simulation system in the works - which means eventually you'll be able to have things like reactor breaches irradiating everyone onboard or gas seeping out a hole blasted in the side of your ships, slowly suffocating you.

Minecraft : Dwarf Fortress :: Blockade Runner : Space Station 13.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Holy poo poo, this owns so loving hard.

Behold, the Temple of Notch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ9lNZrNhwQ

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Internet Victory posted:

Anyone have the link to the video from around when minecraft came out with the guy mining in a cave then turning around to see a creeper then screaming as it blew up? Youtube has too many minecraft videos.

I couldn't find the original on Youtube, but I found it on some lovely video host:

http://www.noob.us/humor/minecraft-fail-nsfw/

E: Found the originals!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF9xMNuAfwE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_S_7DRfCow

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 25, 2011

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Onkel Hedwig posted:

I'm new to minecraft, can somebody please tell me if there is a fix for the powered minecart east/west bug, or at least an acceptable workaround?

Powered minecarts are really, really bad. Stick with the golden booster tracks because they don't consume coal, are one of the two practical uses gold has, and work much, much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

runsamok posted:

I concur. It appears as if pistons aren't being recognized as redstone items at all, as redstone doesn't curve into them when placed. It made wiring up the "secret" door in my sphinx a pain in the rear end.

Honestly I'd like it if redstone curving towards things was just a visual effect, and it always powered things next to it no matter what. I like consistency and space efficiency in my spergdust.