Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Nice new thread, I hope people post more tales of their adventures here again, that was my favourite part of the old thread.

Anyways, I got bored and stopped playing Minecraft a few months ago, then this weekend I saw the enormous fort my nephew built, complete with an enormous redstone/piston powered door and unintentionally hilarious 'lock down' alarm system. I am addicted once again.

I hope 1.8 comes with an option for limited size island maps, I know Notch mentioned it was in his wishlist a while ago but it seems to have dropped off his radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Last night Minecraft's titlescreen text was 'verlet integration!'...is this a new one? Does it mean Notch is adding a better physics engine? Ragdoll mobs would be awesome!

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

VomitOnLino posted:

Notch just tweeted this:

I wonder if it defaults to ON. That'd be fun. And also this is a simple but great addition, rogue me up, baby!

This could be awesome, but without some kind of scoring system the urge to do better than last time probably won't last long :(

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I'm bored as heck with all my ps4 games so tried Minecraft for the first time in years - and now there's snow on pretty much any block above y=90? Not in jungle or desert biomes but everywhere else. I liked snow but only in the snow biomes...is there any way to turn it off on PS4?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

If I didn't think Minecraft was good I wouldn't still be playing it, but like most people in this thread that pick at it, I think it's all the ways it shows unrealized potential and half-finished features that stick out for me. "What could have been" lingers over Minecraft in almost every one of the game's features and systems, from the combat that got tweaked but never really improved, to the extra dimensions that got expanded but still feel mostly useless. The game has enchanting, potion-brewing, smithing, villages, underwater ruins, jungle temples, and yet there's something just so thin about each system. Enchanting probably had the most improvements of the bunch and it's still pretty meager. And villages are so bizarre and pointless to me I don't know if I'd even notice if they got removed.

It's the same reason why I see something like Hytale and want it to be good even though I know from past games to be cautious. We're all hoping someone will flesh out the areas Minecraft is happy to leave stagnant.
Same, but on the whole one thing it does get right is that it just lets you get on with the stuff you want to do. The grind balance is spot on for most stuff, there's consequences for dying, and there's no egregiously anti-fun poo poo like locking items behind levels or terrible quests or mechanics that exist purely to stretch things out to give the illusion of content.

Given how bare-bones and shallow the game is, its interesting nothing in the last 10 years has come remotely close.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
The procgen looks pretty good, but I'm still not clear what the vanilla, unmodded game actually is...it sounds like it's a Minecraft-style infinite world, just with a main (possibly massive) region where the components of a hand-crafted story get procedurally woven in, which would be perfect, for me at least.

If it's like any other game I've gotten excited about in the last couple of years though it will be exactly what I want in just about every way but be ruined by *just enough* bewilderingly idiotic/greedy decisions to sit exactly in the sweet spot of really wanting to enjoy it but feeling like I've wasted my time/money every time I give it a chance.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
been playing MC for the first time in ages after that Hytale news, really wish they'd fix that bug where light leaks though steps/half-blocks cos it's making my artisanal rooftops look like total poo poo at night

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Honestly I'd just go all-in on a total revamp of the spawning system in the first place. Scatter the world with monster spawners, portals, spider nests, graveyards, that kinda thing. Sources you can destroy or seal -- and maybe unseal, if you choose -- to stop local spawns of a given type. Certain areas might be dense with one type of enemy, light in another. Track down monsters, slay your way through a small horde, shut off the spawn point one way or another and enjoy some relative peace.
that's probably the best solution. solves a lot of the annoying problems with mobs and opens up a ton of new game mechanics.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Anyway on a Minecraft note, I don't know if y'all have noticed this new lol yet:
is Minecraft dissociating itself from Notch because he's no longer got anything to do with it, or because people have realised what a ghoulish sack of poo poo he is?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I dunno what bedrock is like on other platforms but on ps4 it's horrible poo poo. The UI is *ugly* and laggy as hell, there's tons of bugs, the constant nags to log in with Microsoft or use the store...ugh. Seems like you can't make extreme worlds anymore either?

Besides cross platform play is there anything about Bedrock that makes it better?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Happy Hedonist posted:

I booted it up yesterday on my PC because I was curious how Minecraft plays with a controller. Bedrock performs way better than Java (I had my clip plane set to 64 with AA turned on), and it has the store. I have absolutely no interest in any of the crap they are selling, but I'm glad it's there for people that are. I've watched my son play on the iPad and it also runs really well on that. The UI doesn't seem that much different to me, but I haven't seen the PS4 version yet. Other than that, I can't think of anything that makes it better. It's actually inferior in a couple key ways. The lack of quasi-connectivity and the longstanding mob spawning bug pretty much kill my interest in it. However, the cross platform play is huge. Now that my son is a little older, it'll be nice joining his game from my PC while he plays on the tablet or PS4 or whatever.

Also, it turns out Minecraft plays pretty well with a controller.
It also seems to get rid of the 'amplified' world option? And seems that worlds are 95% flat plains and little hills and massively dull.

The framerate is great but lots of UI and game actions seem laggy as hell.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I've got that issue on PS4 where the game doesn't get past the Mojang screen. Up till a week or so ago it would get past it every other game, but last week or so it never makes it.

I've tried a bunch of stuff including deleting game saves etc, making sure I've got plenty of HD space (>300gb in my case), is there any other option than reinstalling the game? Does deleting the app also delete my maps?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Kamrat posted:

Bedrock doesn't work for Linux and Mac users as well, until it does it cannot be the future of Minecraft.

Not that I think Microsoft cares that much but I'm sure Mojang cares.
It doesn't work on PS4 either

(it's buggy as gently caress)

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Jamesman posted:

Maybe it's because I turned off the day/night cycle in my game, but I get patrols every 10-20 minutes and it's loving awful.

Hytale can't come out soon enough.
Is Hytale ever coming out?

Vib Rib posted:

Minecraft needs to be completely redone from the ground up -- and not just remade in the same image, like Bedrock was, but with every aspect re-evaluated. There are so many fundamental problems with it, from redundant concepts and pointless systems to terrible balance decisions and unavoidable engine limitations that can never be compensated for.
Yeah, there's a lot you can criticise about Minecraft and lots of games in its genre do aspects better, but all taken together nothing else really comes close.

Also it needs to be remade by an indie developer because the #1 thing that makes Minecraft better that most of it's peers is that it's wide open from the start and doesn't have dumb unlock mechanics. Big studios will definitely gently caress it up and hide half the game behind microtransactions/grind.

Is there a way to find mob spawners in Minecraft? I'm sure I once read the little 'stings' meant a spawner was nearby but I might have made that up.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

OgNar posted:

Agnes (and other devs)talking about newer updates
I like the powder (snow) spots that kind of act like quicksand like traps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAEw1lJrsL4
loads of that looks really nice, but loads of those cave biomes look really bright. I hope there's plenty of dark caves too.

the ambient sounds in the nether are really nice, I can't believe they haven't added any to the overworld yet. Would make such a difference to have wind on the plains, the sound of leaves on trees, crickets in the desert etc.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
speaking of updates, there's been no updates or even tweets from the Hytale team since December last year, is it dead?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
2023 *at the earliest*

is never coming out

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
yeah some of the new terrain generation is just nuts, spelunking is actually fun and worthwhile again. I kinda wish there where less glowing blocks underground so darkness in caves was a bit more pervasive (and some of the new blocks are ugly as hell IMHO) but it's a massive improvement overall.

Dumb question - whats the biggest drop villagers and golems will walk/drop down? I've found a neat village on a hillside and I'm trying to hem the villagers in without using fences or walls, is a two-block drop enough of a barrier to stop villages going past?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Major Operation posted:

Spawn is in a meadow completely surrounded by Snowy Slopes/Frozen Peaks (starting spawn coordinate is close to 0 128 0). There are two villages at either end of the meadow valley.
There's also a woodland mansion within 1000 X and Z of spawn.
Nearby biome mix is OK

Real reason you might want to play this seed, IMO: There is another mountain biome NNE of spawn that has a huge cave system inside of it. You just walk up to the side of the mountain and look down into something that would have been real insane to see in 1.17. I think I've used 6 stacks of torches and I still have a lot of cave left. There's even more of the enormous cave system underneath what is exposed to the surface.

This screenshot doesn't really capture how wild it was to see the first time (I started another creative world on the same seed and flew over to take this).

it should be said that such a huge cave system is super dangerous in survival. Even though I cut stairs down to reach into it safely, I've still almost died multiple times from unexpected run-ins with witches or creepers that suddenly drop off of dark ledges.
IME pretty much any mountainous biome has ridiculous cave systems like that. I kinda wish sprawling underground caves where a bit less ubiquitous but meh, whatever. I absolutely love how exploring has become dangerous again, either above ground or in caves there's just so much treacherous poo poo everywhere. There's something really fun about 'taming' the landscape around you and building little sanctuaries to hide from the elements.

Just wish I could find diamonds. I'm drowning in gold, iron and copper but have only managed to find two so far.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
going through a portal and dying to creepers/skellies/lava-cubes that attack you while you're paralysed/blind on the 'building terrain' screen for ages seems like a bug that should have been fixed years ago but it seems fairly regular thing in 1.18

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Can't wait for Hytale because they seem like they'll populate the world with interesting structures, maybe even pull from the community. Exploring in Minecraft always feel more like hunting for specific resources or areas that have something you need that you know spawns there in some fashion. Just seems like procedurally generation is literally designed to let them cobble together many pieces into unique spaces, but often they just copy the same basic uninteresting space in an array. Strongholds have the same issue. I've not even bothered to hunt down a deep dark yet because I don't know what to use any skulk for yet, and I assume it's going to be like a bastion or nether fortress or whatever, see one hallway of it, seen every version of it forever anywhere. Woodlands mansions could be really cool and if I ever had one generate near somewhere I was already settled, it might be fun to treat it as a fixer upper.

Speaking of RTX skins, I'm guessing why they still don't have any texture packs for sale in the official store is just because it's only available on a minority platform for bedrock and they don't have a way to filter from windows users in the store?
I dunno if Hytale is ever coming out, it's been 1-2 years away for about 8 years now. Also they got bought by Riot a couple of years ago and their dev-diary has been basically dead ever since.

You're right about the procgen of structures in Minecraft, it's really basic and each structure is only made of five or six prefabs. These days there's loads of newer algorithms for proc-genning stuff (like this, the guys super annoying but explains it really well) but a lot of the limitations of Minecraft's procgen come from the fact that the world has to be generated on demand. If the whole world was built up front, you could do way more interesting stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
ive been playing again lately and v deep underground came across a...seam...I guess, of purple pulsating rock...what is it? Its got sort of purple bubbles that pulsate and cover deepslate, but then there's also solid blocks of it, too. How do I mine it? What do I do with it?