Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

tinaun posted:

It looks like jeb is remaking the buildings in npc villages.

So, I really haven't been following development of this game much lately, have they revealed what sort of NPC's will inhabit these villages? I remember talks of goblins last year, and the pigmen skin is already in the game. I just fear running into a village of Steves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

MikeJF posted:

It makes sense we'd have a need to gather and cart around more food, given the apparent new hunger bar.

poo poo, I didn't even notice that.
I hope it isn't too annoying, but really I guess food isn't that big of a deal after you've got a base set up.
I think Yahtzee said it, but it's funny that the biggest proof that you've got your poo poo together in this game is the ability to make cake.
Since they seem to be getting more serious, I wonder if we'll have to start baking bread and cakes now.
The days of punching sheep are over, and perhaps soon the days of mashing wheat into bread...

And I just caught up on previews I've missed out on, Endermen and giant mushrooms!
My dreams of recreating Morrowind are getting closer to being realized. :allears:

For the first time in awhile I'm starting to get excited about this game again.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Awcko posted:

Notch is showing off 1.8 right here: http://www.twitch.tv/realnotch#/w/1675655472

Jesus, this is going to be a completely different game.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

fondue posted:

I'm having the same experience. Can someone post in here some screenshots or what's happening? Anything new we haven't had him hint at?

Well, we now have eating animations, and apparently in the world of Minecraft you eat like a squirrel.
Like vampires or other evil creatures of lore, water kills the Endermen.
Clouds are higher, mountain biomes are in.
The new lighting is beautiful.
He's been through a few villages, but no sign of any inhabitants.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Read posted:

I can't find the source at the moment but I am certain it is NOT a new mode, a lot of people made this mistake based on a previously talked about "Adventure Mode" Notch intended to add. This update has nothing to do with that as far as I can tell.

Purported Adventure Mode features were things like removing the ability to break blocks and adding spawnable mobs, to facilitate adventure map creation.

Yeah, this. XP, magic, and NPCs and such are coming to the game proper, but all Adventure Mode was ever supposed to be was a setting that reinforced the rules of user created adventure maps.
Doesn't sound like we're getting it with 1.8 though.

FirePhoenix posted:

I'm hoping the NPCs turn out to be normal Pigmen just because it would add to the strange, isolated feel, since they aren't like you.

Agreed. A year ago he was talking about goblin villages, so I hope it's them or Pigmen. A stranger in a strange world is sort of Minecraft.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Hadlock posted:

Notch has already said that 1.8 is ready to go, they've just been waiting on PAX for it's release, and will make some balance changes after, unless you've heard otherwise?

Notch has never said this, and during that stream he says they're not even previewing the latest build. There isn't even a set release date for it.

Here, this has everything they've mentioned they're adding:
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Upcoming_features

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Jens said the 8th is a good guess.

jeb_ posted:

The plan right now is to release the "PAX version" of Minecraft ASAP, but there is some crucial work remaining. Sep 8th is a good guess.

Notch is even working on it a bit.

Notch posted:

Today I cleaned up sprinting (it's infinite now, but drains lots of food. Jumping is boosted) and added the player list in multiplayer.

Having a boosted jump could be fun platforming for future adventure maps.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

HAL9100 posted:

Am I reading this correctly? Sprinting will just eat food out of my inventory?

No, he means the hunger meter thing. He talked about having it drain, because at PAX they just had sprint as a timed function, now as long as you have a full stomach, you can sprint until you starve I guess.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So Notch has mentioned introducing alchemy to the game in the past, and recently the Yogscast dude's showcased a somewhat interesting mod called "Equivalent Exchange" it has some neat ideas, but a lot of ridiculous and complicated things as well.

Mostly I liked the main concept, the exchange, you craft a philospher's stone and then can use it to upgrade dirt to cobblestone, cobblestone to redstone, and then up through iron, gold, and diamond.
It's just a really neat aspect I'd like to see added to the game.

Really though, any form of magic being added to the game would be nice, and maybe my dreams of summoning creepers could finally be brought to life:

:3:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Relaxodon posted:

I think the best effect the food bar could have is a positive one. Instead of punishing the player for not eating he should be rewarded for keeping it full. Health regeneration, sprinting, more damage/speed while fighting and faster mining would all be excellent motivations to keep fed. Lowering my health though, i feel pushed around. Which kinda does not fit into minecrafts general design, i think.

Eh, it'll only kill you if you're playing on hard, and even then it likely won't be a big deal, other than the first few days, it's ridiculously easy to have a surplus of food, and food will be stackable again, so even better.
It really needs a negative side in order to have a positive.

It's kind of like the talk about getting killed that was going on earlier, someone said they liked the danger of being killed, but didn't like the penalty.
Well, if the penalty didn't exist, neither would the risk and excitement. There should be penalties to dying, currently it's just warp back to spawn, you don't lose your items unless you're dumb and fall into lava, or you don't think ahead enough to keep some spare armour and weapons at your spawn (seriously, do it, life will be much easier.)
I'm looking forward to more penalties honestly, lately when I've been playing multiplayer and have been low on health, rather than finding food, I've just been packing my items away and killing myself. That's hilariously broken. EXP and perks are gonna be awesome.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Vib Rib posted:

Most people here agree (save some who prefer a more creative-mode style means of play or don't view that kind of penalty as necessary at all), the sentiment is just that the penalty is disproportionately frustrating and makes the game less fun, not more.
We haven't been saying there needs to be no penalty.

Vocal majorities are usually minorities, especially when bitching about game mechanics.
Regardless
1. The penalty, isn't bad, unless you fall into lava, getting your items back is always easy.
2. If the penalty didn't exist, I'm completely positive a majority of you wouldn't be playing the game. It's the only risk that exists.
3. I refuse to believe that anyone has completely stopped playing because they got killed or fell into lava.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Vib Rib posted:

1. No, it's not always easy. Especially when you're neck-deep in a cave system near bedrock far from spawn. And even if that's the case, what possible harm could it do to at the very least add a death chest system?
2. Again, most people are not arguing for a complete removal of all penalties, you don't need to disprove this.
3. I don't know about permanently but even in these threads plenty of people have talked about stepping away from the game because they fell in lava because of one errant mis-step.

Well, if you're adding a deathchest, you are completely removing the penalty. So, you're contradicting yourself.

glug posted:

I have a feeling that if they took the time to come post about it in a minecraft discussion thread, they'll be playing the game again in the near future. Fortunately, I think minecraft is a good game for playing, leaving, and coming back to play.

Pretty much, coming and posting stories of lost diamonds is a bonding experience, and part of the fun.
Nobody would post "Whelp, a creeper killed me while I was in my mine, good thing all my diamonds are in my deathchest, jeez what a swell game!"

I'm not arguing the core mechanics. I'm just saying, just because the game can be frustrating doesn't mean it's bad.
By saying penalties should be removed, you're arguing against your best interest, because it's what makes the game fun.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Vib Rib posted:

Clearly we have very different views of what makes this game fun, because losing a full spelunker's haul has never made me enjoy the game any more, even in retrospect.

It's not losing your items, it's the risk. The risk doesn't exist without the reality is all I'm saying.

Pucklynn posted:

Am I alone in wishing that for a little while Mojang would stop coming out with new features?

Yes.

pseudorandom name posted:

Your death chest needs to be guarded by your vengeful ghost.

This would actually be really neat.
I think I remember someone an old thread talked about having a zombie version of yourself with all your items.
I'd fully support a miniboss to get your items back. :allears:

wyoming fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 7, 2011

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Frogmarched posted:

The thing is, survival should actually have risk/reward as a key feature, rather then relying on oh your dead there goes your stuff.

The risk is losing your stuff, the reward is having enough swag to bake cake. :colbert:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Trivia posted:

Why is it necessary to to have to jump between two extremes, and not give users more control over what they'd like to see?

Granted, I don't think the game is that difficult to begin with, but more customization wouldn't hurt if you ask me.

The more variability there is, the more poo poo can break. Minecraft is fairly simple and should stay as such.

Not everything should be a toggle, mods exist for a reason.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Jesto posted:

Has Notch said anything about either:

1. Being able to bell cows / sheep like dogs so you can keep them in areas and prevent them from despawning unless killed?

2. Actually being able to gather apples from trees, either by way of having each Leaf Block have a 1/1,000 chance of spawning as an Appled Leaf Block or random apple trees growing in the wild?

1. They have talked about having animals not despawn, and animal husbandry being a thing. I don't think they've really said much about it though.

2. There was a mod that had peaches hanging from trees. When you hit them, they became living bouncing creatures, which was odd. But they didn't look bad hanging under the tree, so hanging apples would likely work.
Don't know if they've said anything about apples, but we are going to be able to farm pumpkins and melons with 1.8.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 8, 2011

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

FidgetyRat posted:

Good question. Other critters seem to, so I would assume Enders would as well.

No mobs in this game can see through glass, to any mob they're just like any other block, only the player can see things on the other side. If you have a mob at your window, it caught a glimpse of you, likely before you went inside, but not through the glass.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

kas posted:

Eating roots you in place and has an eating animation that's several seconds long.

It's 1.6 seconds according the minecraft forums, not 3-4.

And it's not a huge deal anyway, since food doesn't heal there's no reason to eat it mid-battle. And if you're spelunking, it'd make sense to stay full in case you did get into trouble.

Zorak posted:

Also, it's worth pointing out that 1.8 is probably going to be delayed again, what since there's a game-breaking bug still in that Jeb wasn't unable to fix before going home for the weekend.

Well, on the bright side, it seems like the days of signs and cacti corrupting save files are over.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Sir Prancelot posted:

Aw, that's a shame. :( Here's hoping no fits are thrown about the leak.

From Notch's twitter:
"Ooh, looks like 1.8 has leaked, not that I'd ever admit that. ;) Be careful when installing software you don't trust though.
If you do use it, remember to report bugs, and to feel slightly bad. ;)"

The chest opening animation is everything I'd hoped it'd be. :allears:

Edit: And Just in case that wasn't clear enough.
"(I am fine with you using it. Make sure you get it from the leaked url we are hosting, though)"

wyoming fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 9, 2011

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
First night I head outside when it starts getting light out, I noticed some smoke coming from above my cliffwall hovel. Turns out it was an Enderman, dying in the morning light. :(

He dropped something called an Ender Pearl, not sure if it has a use or not though.

Also the food thing is such a non-issue.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
For good times look at Endermen with your back to a cliff.

I ran into a group of five of them, they're like smoky lemmings. :3:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

crazylakerfan posted:

Anyone have a clue what the world type thing means? It is in the world creation screen

Back in the Indev days, you could choose world types.
Normal, Hell (a lot like the Nether is today, I suppose), Paradise (always day), and Forest (foggy, dark, mobs about, kind of what rain does these days)
And then you could choose a normal map (square with invisible walls), islands (smaller but the the better looking option), and floating islands (fun but dangerous).

Maybe Notch is bringing something like this back, he was working on floating islands again at one point.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I think the melons themselves need to grow on plowed land.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Tombot posted:

I made a suggestion earlier, but nobody took the bait so I made one myself.

Its a house made out of a hollowed out red mushroom.

I am now living like a smurf. Best of all: its just the right size inside to fit everything inside without destroying much of it.

Psh, I made mine in survival.

I was going to try out some of the new window panes, but the game crashes everytime I try to make glass. Deletes all the fuel I had in the furnace as well.

Fun fact, regardless of what kind of block you plant the mushroom on, it'll turn into dirt if you make it giant.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 10, 2011

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Taffer posted:

Also, eating rotten meat changes the color of your food bar but doesn't seem to change health regen at all. No downsides?

I think it makes your food bar drain faster.
Sort of a food for quick temporary healing, at least it seemed to working that way when I ate some.

hogofwar posted:

Okay here's the lowdown:

You spawn a silverfish from breaking a silverfish pregenned block.

When the silverfish is attacking you it can call up silverfish from closeby silverfish blocks, when they spawn they destroy the blocks they were in

When you are away from silverfish and they are not attacking you they can infect a block to turn it into a new silverfish block for the cycle to continue.

Holy poo poo, these are by far the best enemies in the game. :allears:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

PalmTreeFun posted:

Cheeky fuckers. Go off to my mine for fifteen minutes and this happens. :argh:

They can move the unmovable. :ohdear:

Time to build an idol to appease them.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So I've discovered the best part of the new animal behaviour. They spaz the gently caress out when they catch on fire. :supaburn:

It's wonderful how much these little touches add.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

MikeJF posted:

Anyone know if this is tweakable with NBTEdit or something?

Looks like it might be.
Can't imagine what else MapFeatures would be.
Using Game Type you can switch from Creative to Survival as well!

wyoming fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Sep 11, 2011

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Been having some fun making a village my own:

Pretty excited to find you can plant torches on fences now, had to cheat to get the jack-o-lantern on the fence though.

Shortly after taking this screenshot I was killed by two spiders. :saddowns:

Love the smell of burning undead in the morning.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So I've discovered the greatest glitch, infinite buckets of milk!

Every time I move something in my inventory a milk bucket takes it place, and there are dozens of them spread all over the floor.

Currently filling large chests with milk buckets. :D

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

thehustler posted:

Posting again in the hope that somebody can explain how the hell I open two doors with a switch some distance away (ie not with a switch right next to the first door).

I can't finish my mob trap without it :(

This is what I use:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Good news nobody! You can now "map" the Nether!

Your cursor on the map spazzes out similar to the compass.

Also anyone else having random lighting issues?

I'm an Enderman! :downs:

But seriously, paintings, signs, and chests along with my character's arms are at times randomly black, or improperly lit.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 15, 2011

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So I'm working on stone brick wall around my little island.
I come back from a venture into my mine, only to find a hole in my wall, and the missing block sitting right next to my bed. :ohdear:

Endermen are seriously the greatest part of the game now.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Al! posted:

It's a nice idea but it won't be put in. In fact, didn't notch say that stuff like that actually lessens the chance that something similar will be included in the game?

He's said that, but he's taken tons of suggestions in the past.
I suggested the way the watch works for example. :smuggo:

Mostly I imagine he doesn't want people suggesting the same thing over and over, especially the stupid things the Minecraft base gets obsessed with from time to time.
I mean hell, Jens just blocked a bunch of people because they kept hounding him about a feature that didn't make it into 1.8.

Really it all depends on how you catch their attention.

Sir Prancelot posted:

Endermen continue to delight and vex me. I built a lovely wall around my castle, and was patrolling the perimeter one night when a skeleton somehow deadeyed me in the back of the neck with an arrow. One single stone missing from my wall, found the next morning delicately placed next to a tree.

Endermen. :3:

I was wondering around on a server and came across a Nether portal with a missing block. At first I thought it was just some dedicated griefing, but after walking away into a nearby forest, there was a lone obsidian block, sitting next to a tree. :3:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Vargs posted:

It's only since the last patch that they've become really deadly. Now they can take you out from full health in one hit, and will do so if they sneak up on you.

Bullshit, this has always been true.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Taffer posted:

They still respawn, but EXTREMELY slowly. I can't remember the numbers exactly, but it's something along 1/400th of the previous rate. The difference is that now they spawn in groups of a few, rather than one at a time, to help the herd vibe. So yeah, they can spawn, it's just that it hardly ever happens.

I think squid are to blame, I live on a small island surrounded by shallow water, and I've long since killed off the dozens of chickens that once lived on my island.
The island has been sadly quiet since.
Then while doing some leveling, I came across a small pond, filled with six squid.
I killed them, went back to my house, and the moat surrounding it had five new squid milling about.
Either give me the ability to cook calamari or spawn useful animals. :argh:

But yeah, this won't be an issue for long, so whatever.

That said, I can't wait to build some snowmen sentries. :3:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Test-0 posted:

In addition...

...guys, what are you doing? You can't go outside.

Seriously, the ship's parked over a desert. It's no good for you two.

Notch said they'd melt in the hotter biomes, but it doesn't happen yet, they just don't leave snowtrails.
I wonder if this will lead to a future of climate effects though, dangers of staying out in the heat or cold too long.
Getting sick in the mushroom climates. :ohdear:

But seriously the mushroom biome and the mooshrooms are my favourite part of this update.
I'm unsure how I feel about the TESTIFCATES, it's nice that they're not human, but drat are they ugly. Hopefully the textures aren't final.
Or maybe they'll grow on me once they do something.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Death Himself posted:

I tried the prerelease earlier tonight to see some seeds and hoo boy it sure does run like rear end. In normal minecraft I get over 100fps and in this I get 40-70 depending on if I am generating new chunks or what is going on. How is that even possible, what changed exactly?

Jens has said it's a threading problem? Anyway, they're aware of the problem and are going to fix it.
In other news, Notch is working on animal breeding:

Never change Notch. :3:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Bat Ham posted:

Have people figured out an efficient way to deal with poison spiders/spawners yet? Because gently caress them. gently caress them gently caress them gently caress them gently caress them gently caress them. The old spawner tactic of 'clear a path, run in and torch it up' doesn't work so well when there are webs everywhere and I keep taking poison damage.

Notch or Jens talked about milk curing poison, no idea if it's in the game yet or not though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
New 1.9 prerelease coming this week!

quote:

The plan now is to do another pre release of 1.9 this week. Yeah, it's a beta of a beta. :D It will have item reparing!

Now our items will never break again. :allears: