Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Danyull posted:

So in the last thread I started a chain world thing and kind of started forgetting to check it and it fell apart (because I am a forgetful dickbag), but I guess I'll take another shot at it now that it's a new thread.

Rules:

If you want to sign up for it send an e-mail to somethingawfulmcchain@gmail.com (Please include your SA username) and you'll be put on the list, we'll start when we have our first five people.

The list of players will also go in this post once it starts.

EDIT: Fixed, drat you. And to your edit, no, but I fixed that as well. VVV

Emailed. I tried getting on the last chain you did but...yeah...dickbag. Still love ya though, in a non-homo way. Anyways, in order to help with the mod conflicting and stuff you really should generate a massive bit of land. I've got Yogbox on so I'm sure I'll have to revert to non-yog but still it'd be helpful to have most of the map pre-generated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

I dunno, this bugs me in a way I'm having trouble difficulty putting into words.

This sort of thing just hints of amateurism from Notch. Legal cases aren't ended by Quake matches, they are ended with big-boy things like court cases. Yeah, it'll cost a bit to deal with it that way, but that's what happens when you're an actual game developer.

Why waste the money and time when you can simply go to whoever has a problem with you and handle it like a grownup? Just because the platform to decide the outcome happens to be a game doesn't make it less adult-like.

You seem to be falling into what society wants you to think is the way to settle things...free your mind man. Free your mind.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

See, that's just the thing. Adults don't solve poo poo over games of Quake 3, especially when said poo poo is about adult-level stuff like potential copyright issues.

You're right. And by adults you mean "people-who-take-themselves-too-seriously."

All I'm saying is it would actually be good publicity for both companies. I dunno, maybe that's too "outside the box thinking" for "Adults."

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
/\/\/\/\ Yeah to be honest I wouldn't have a problem either way this turns out. I'm going to buy Skyrim, and I like Notch because of MC. But I don't really care about Scrolls. A name's a name's a name.

Shnakepup posted:

Lawsuits and lawyers are the heighth of maturity and professionalism, no matter how seemingly petty or ludicrous; you just don't understand. It is how adults do things. Settling a matter via a friendly competition, on the other hand, is something that only children do, as we should look down upon it and scoff at it accordingly.

you're my hero.

At first I was like why did you do a 180...then it clicked. You have now entered the OUTER LIMITS!

Arkitektbmw fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 17, 2011

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Well then we need to have more than just one person keeping it going.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Boat posted:

Welp, that's it, we can close the internet, I've officially seen everything:

Click for legible.

Wow....just wow.

edit: yeah good point. i can't believe that 'community' has latched itself onto the minecraft community. I mean common phising in a minecraft community forum? What the hell?

edit: edit: although I do have to give them credit, it seems they actually used spell check. And the story is somewhat updated...

Arkitektbmw fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 24, 2011

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Same here. I'd love for Minecraft to use a Bethesda style modular mod framework.

Given the companies involved that's a very ironic statement you made there.

Anyways, has any word been said about a release date? Supposing not as nobody's said anything about it in the last few pages.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

DaftPVF posted:

This guy built minecraft in minecraft! :w00t:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdnO1QZJ--M

And here's the video of him explaining how it works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OkGjIcV28A

Well that'll be a first. Just imagine this conversation.

"Huh, nice game you made there, what language did you use to write it?"

"minecraft."

"...."

Amazing.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Every time I get linked to this guys videos I'm pissed because I just gave him a view. He....I dunno he just pisses me off. He tries way to hard to have a personality. It's horrible and sad all at once.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Jeb just tweeted this:

http://imgur.com/gpiiP?full&size=l

Are they messing with the biome shader? The grass between Jeb and the hanging garden makes a drastic change.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

HYMEN.SYS posted:

I hope that's not the final graphic. It looks just like the rest of the fence.

Actually it stands out as it doesn't have any connection to the ground. I quite like the look of vanilla.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Relaxodon posted:

One thing i would like to see in minecraft, is for your safety inside your base to be more often challanged. At the moment, as soon as you have your walls up and a spider overhang attached, you are completely save. Having to defend that savety would be really cool.
I really struggle to think up how to do that in a "minecraftian" way though. Building in wall destroying mobs seems somehow wrong. Also the feeling of safety inside your base is kinda important for the game.
Has anyone come up with some ideas here?

I would shamelessly steal Terraria's idea here and have an even that gives zombies the ability to open doors. Obviously creepers can't due to a lack of arms. But it would give cause to create new obstacles in order to enter ones house, or maybe simply defend it during that particular event.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Zeithammer posted:

Haven't played minecraft in so long, I decided to do something nice with my two days off.

This is awesome. You used Gargamel didn't you? You need to take screenshots of the inside (or is there no inside?)

I love seeing what other people do with seeds. I'm a thief whore when it comes to building plans.

Arkitektbmw fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 8, 2011

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Blarghalt posted:

1.8 looks awesome. As soon as it comes out, I'm going to start a new world and roleplay as a caveman named Ug.

Ug, being stupid, can only use sticks as weapons, and leather as armor. :black101:

So Ug is smart enough to sew leather together but too dumb to make stone tools? 0.o

I'm probably going to do the same...well as far as creating a new world and messing around, but I'm definitely going to keep a version of 1.7 around to fuddle with until 1.8 is playable.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Anyone else notice that Sugar can grow on sand now?

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Was just putsing around in creative and saw a new item called an Ender Pearl. Any word on what that is?

They also changed the animations on TNT. The blast uses little circles now.

Arkitektbmw fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 9, 2011

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Ok so after playing for a while on the leaked server and on single player I lost interest in messing with Endermen. They just don't seem to be that interesting. They lock on to you and freeze.

Or so I thought.

I was playing on a single player map and saw one meandering through a cave just below the one I was exploring. So I decided to taunt his rear end since he was about 2 blocks below me with no way of getting up to where I was (no blocks to step on to get up to my level). I edge to where I can just make out his eyes. He locks on in typical fashion and then teleports! Somewhat confused I do a quick panic search for him.

Nothing. Then I tunnel my way up to the surface (8 blocks up maybe). And just as I turn around PUFF!, black smoke and legs are suddenly right in front of me and he instantly one-hits me dead. SCARED THE poo poo OUT OF ME! I had already written him off as bugged or just plain gone. But no the bastard was waiting for me to crawl out of the earth. What's weird is he teleported to me up top. He wasn't there when I first broke the top layer, I do a 360 check now whenever I go to jump out of a hole and he wasn't there when I looked.

So count my lesson learned with these buggers. Then can give you scares just like creepers do.

My one and only complaint is they need to have their own sound. Making them sound like zombies takes away from their eerie appearance.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

fondue posted:

In the yogscast they came across a ravine that butted up directly to a lake and the water wasn't precipitating until they disturbed it.

Also, for anyone looking for multiplayer i've got a world running 1.8 on goonimati.com:30000

Sorry to say I was responsible for killing it once yesterday. had a decent inventory and then boop, killed by creeper and there goes all of my 'experience.'

I really hope this is the first bug that Notch and co. take a look at.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Gooch posted:

Ha the Enderman even take leaf blocks and set them on the ground. I love these guys.

They're great! Seriously the range that they feel you looking at them is insane! I was almost 70? 80 blocks away maybe. Thought what the hell, pointed my cross airs right at him..BAM! He teleports to within 5 meters of me! Scared the poo poo out of me. I thought there was a limit to how far they could teleport?

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Ignimbrite posted:

Countdown to people wanting 682 as a mob...

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-682

That would go along with that Collusus of Minecraft mod that someone suggested. Only...You can never win.. Heh fits right along with how Notch has been trolling the sper-fanbase lately.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Senator Woofington posted:

Sorry to hear about that, I can make you an OP and you can kick/ban people as you see fit.

Wooooof you brought the sever back up? Missed it man!

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

So I opped and deopped people. For now there are still no rules I guess but me and a friend were playing pure survival (which is now wickedly fun). Endermen still don't work in SMP :(

However we did start on a new world from a funny seed I tried. We started on a small island and decided to go north, this was our journey. Holy poo poo.

I think it took something like 7 days of pure sailing. Awesome.

That tip at the left is the main piece of land we found, a sprawling forest. It might not look it but that little section is HUGE.

Gawd dangit, you guys were sailing that entire time?

That's awesome! I think I went the exact opposite direction as you guys. My island is the farthest bottom section.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

Huh. I've already played GA2 and I don't remember that at all.

It really matches what you just said above. You go to the nether, do your thing there and then come back to what I think is actually the same location only..modified. (I'm probably wrong though, never cartographed GA2)

Edit: wrong as in it could be a duplicate area.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

tinaun posted:

Another new nether screen from Jeb.

Wow that looks cool.

It looks like he made a new type of "fence." The windows have posts in them but they look like the same texture as the netherbrick. Interesting. Will we get new brick fences?

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Did they update the lava texture too? Or is my phone display playing tricks on me?

No it's just going through the 'bright' part of it's animation.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Jelly posted:

Continue your line of thinking with a retractable bridge

You should always have a bridge that drops into a pool of water.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

I am really liking the map on my server!

drat that's awesome.

...I haven't been able to connect lately for some reason.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Cartograph G

Hit me up on steam and I'll see whats what.

Ah I got it figured out last night. Of course there were no carts in the chest at the begining of the nether-ride. That castle is pretty awesome though. Was that you and company or someone else?

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Montalvo posted:

Is there a way of building up a world in Creative mode and then switching back to Survival? I'd love to build some clifftop towers in the -911059665853344167 seed without having to worry about resources, then switch to Survival and go adventuring :black101:

NBTEdit would be your friend.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/6661-nbtedit/

To expand on that you need to load the level.dat file and change the Gamemode to 1, then save and vice versa to play on Survival once again.

1=Creative
0=Survival

Arkitektbmw fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 22, 2011

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Tobuscus has started playing minecraft. He's done the Literal trailers for Assassin Creed games and various other movies, games, etc.

Episode 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/TobyGames#p/u/6/RVAcd-ffIMg

Episode 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caYql4vG9LE

It's a typical painful experience watching someone play MC for the first time. Funny non the less though.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

mrwuss posted:

No, his voice is just loving awful.

I would assume for the same reason you don't like Yogscast videos either then?
Just saying.

I didn't imagine there'd be this many people who dislike him. (It's cuz he's not a goon huh?)

Whatever though, different strokes for different folks.

edit: \/\/\/\/ thinking about it I really don't watch many of his game commentaries. I usually just watch his Cute Win Fails, and his Literal trailers. He's geared towards a somewhat younger audience with his 'comedy.' I just find the random stories he makes up to be funny.

Arkitektbmw fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 23, 2011

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Elysiume posted:

Why would you even say this? Do you seriously think that people don't like him exclusively because he's not a goon, instead of his obnoxious voice?

Obnoxious voice? I love Honeydew to death but the man can pierce my eardrums on a good day and you're going to say this guy has an obnoxious voice?
edit: I guess his voice really does bother people, I had a friend listen to him with me and he said the same drat thing. Never bothered me before.

Anyways, no I really didn't believe that. It was a light-hearted jab at our community, aka a joke.

Arkitektbmw fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 23, 2011

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Nenonen posted:

I sorta agree with this, having Himalayas in Minecraft is hardly worth the hit it probably will take on hardware.

That's sort of the point behind the coding of Cubic Chunk mod. It changes the "chunks" that actually load in the game. Right now we have a system comparable to 2 dimensional loading. The CC mod changes it to a 3 dimensional loading pattern.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

I did this.

You're right it is a rite of passage. Its exactly one chunk.

Haha I fell for that when you did it. Actually I think you led me straight to it...it was pay back for digging out the center of the bulls eye huh?

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
edit: /\/\/\/\/\ that's really always been the case. Even with the old "fly.jar" you could fly above the build limit (hence why you could even walk on tiles built at the build limit (if you think about it)).

IUG posted:

So it looks like Mojang and Bethesda are not going to have their little Quake duel to settle this case.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/27/bethesda-tells-mojang-to-lay-down-its-virtual-guns-lawyer-up-fo/

I've held my tongue this entire time regarding the litigation between Bethesda and Mojang. Now though, it just strikes me as complete Bullshit. I mean common an Indie Developer comes up with a game called "Scrolls." Bethesda is known for "The Elder Scrolls," (TES). So they think "HOLY poo poo! He's the name of his game is in the name or our game! CALL THE LAWYER!" Jesus people come on. Are you telling me if another company comes along making "Elder," that Bethesda is going to jump down their throat as well? I seriously hope the judge over this case Slaps the poo poo out of Bethesda and asks "Are you loving retarded?"

However if the judge rules in favor of Bethesda, then all game developers take note! Don't name your games any of the below:

Mass
Elder
Effect
Star
War
Jade
Empire
Vegas
Demon
Forge
or any other loving word which comprises another game title.

Ok..Off my soap box.

Also about the mods and poo poo. You'll get a better reception discussing mod topic stuff here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430195

And from what I can remember there used to be mods doing all of those things.

edit: \/\/\/ fixed....

Arkitektbmw fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 28, 2011

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

glug posted:

Next time you get on your soap box please never say common when you mean come on, it's not even remotely right and it's unreadable.

Thanks for that. Posted from a phone (spell check strikes again).

Arkitektbmw fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 28, 2011

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Is it just me or is the game rendering exceptionally far in the screenshot?

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

You guys aren't playing on the pre-release? I have some animal pens in my chicken farm. Its nice but drat does having all those animals so close lag the gently caress outta the server when that chunk is active.

I might make a video of mine later but eh.

You guys on pre-release? I may just have to hop on

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Xaiter posted:

This is something I'm working on, but also for cooked meat.

I think if you threw a chicken into a netherrack firepit with a cobblestone hallway attached to it and placed a water bucket at the end of hall.... I believe chicken AI beelines for water when ignited, so you could get the chickens to reliably run away from the fire to preserve the delicious meat and feathers. Just place the water just far enough away that that it's impossible to make it to the water before their two hearts burn out.

There's already a blueprint a few pages or so back for an auto cooking chicken killing machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Are there any goons who are on the Nations at War server?

I just went over there to submit and application to join (good lord here we go), and...I just. They take themselves so seriously. Right after submitting the application someone posted and said I should "flesh out" my application.

:negative: I...want to...troll them...