Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Bork bork bork!
___/
:notch:

Yeah very funny you racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

Honeydew posted:

For Mushroomy and Mooshroomy goodness use the seed 5630765669477878057 and go to x:+50 z:+160

thank yooooou

*edit*

Bicehunter fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 22, 2011

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

ascii genitals posted:

I posted a link to a small server I'm running awhile back and have a small group of people who have been playing. My IP changed recently and I haven't been able to find a few of you (elogain, danith, and others). The new IP is 174.109.163.170:420. If anyone else wants to come check out what we've made and gently caress around feel free.

I've got a permanent host name setup that I can give to anyone who plays a lot.

We've got plugins for teleports/landmarks (its /pw or /pw help for info), sponges, and flying (/fly). Once craftbukkit and 1.9 are out I might install some more plugins.

Don't be an rear end in a top hat and break peoples stuff. Also please don't fly off in one direction for a really long time and make the world file huge. I'll just revert to a backup and ban you. Other than that pretty much anything goes.

(click for big)

Hey :) Have some problems with minecraft and out of memory bug/crashes :/ Soo waiting for that to get fixed before I play again.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

CJacobs posted:

What's funny is that your point is completely null because Bethesda's developing studio is not in charge of the law-based portion of their company, and therefore the Bethesda everyone knows and loves has no part in this and they in fact find the lawsuit pointless, but they can't do much to stop it now that Mojang has made it known, paraded it around, joked about it like it was no big deal, and then agreed to take it to court! It's really funny how nobody seems to know this (read: annoying)! And as well, Bethesda's law office has no case because "Scrolls" is not "The Elder Scrolls" and as long as Mojang acknowledges that TES is a thing that exists and they respect the right to not steal any of their poo poo, Mojang will likely come out of this lawsuit with an undeserving sense of pride!

So, what you are saying is that it isn't the programmers suing, it is the lawyers? Wow, great insight.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

seal it with a kiss posted:

I hadn't played since 1.4, so there's a lot of new stuff that I've been enjoying. I've been trying to get a portal to the Nether working on a server that I play on, but all it does is catch on fire. Does a certain server setting need to be on, or am I missing something here?

I block to low.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

Bolian Blues posted:

This is exactly why Yogscast is hilarious (sorry Xephos). One of the few YT channels that deserve over a million subscribers and however many hundreds of thousands of views they get on each video.

Chiming in on this too, they made me buy the game in April or so, never regretted it. I've had my pauses from the game but always end up playing it again. Can't wait for when this whole pre-release thingie is over and we get a stable 1.10(??) so I can start up a server again.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

strategery posted:

Are there plans of bringing the phone versions of minecraft close to the game proper or no? If minecraft portable was getting the adventure mode, I might change my choice in (upgrade) for my new phone.

Also, why no ios, minecraft!

Minecraft is written in java, android dev is pretty much java, so easy to port some of the code used in the desktop version. iOS on the other hand... objective c. Thats my guess. They prolly get around making a version for iOS too tho.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
Just imagine the email that guy is going to send after Notch tweeted it to the whole world to laugh at.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

EightBit posted:

I'm not sure about other OS options, but in Windows, a 32 bit application can only address 2GiB due to the memory model that Windows uses. The upper half of the virtual address space is reserved for Windows.

No? roughly 3gb can be adressed.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

ThndrShk2k posted:

Except that he's talking about turning Minecraft into it, not making a FPS interface for DF. Minecraft's graphical efficiency is laughable. It does way too much work for what it presents. Dwarf Fortress brings most computers to their knees anyway.

Visualizers made for DF however run pretty well.

May I ask, are you a programmer?

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

arnika road posted:

anybody use the same loadout as me?

1. See other people post inventory lists
2. Decide this is a good idea
3. Post an inventory list nobody will ever read or care about
4. gently caress up a thread with pages of no content bullshit
5. Go back to minecraft
6. Run around for a while
7. Refresh the thread to see if anybody replied to your post
8. Sword
9. Die unloved

I use the same setup.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

Colonel J posted:

Is the redstone 3D game really that impressive? I wouldn't seem to me if all it does is keep track of player position and orientation and pulls from a database of "images" what the player is supposed to see. I guess if it "calculates" and "draws" the images then that's really cool.
DISCLAIMER: I know nothing about anything related to 3d graphics ever

Hey guys, are computers really that impressive? All they do is paint something on a screen with colors and do some + and -, I know + and -, its not very hard?

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

Tw1tchy posted:

Actually he did bring up a legitimate point. I suspect the person in the video is indeed just having an array of "pixels" for each screen, and when you turn or move it just picks the correct array to display. If he's not, and is indeed storing each line and forcing the redstone to draw them with an algorithm, then that's impressive. Otherwise, well, it's like making a program that displays slightly interactive slideshows of google maps and calling it your game.

Plus as someone pointed out, it's redstone. It's Turing complete. It's exactly as powerful as any real circuitry, it just takes a lot more room and runs a million times slower. It's not that amazing, just a bit.. well, time wasting I'd say.

He is going to write a gpu in redstone, he is executing code on his current machine that you would probably not be able to write using a high-level language, it looks like raycasting with edge detection or something like that. I even meet people who work as gameprogrammers using the gpu that can't write some good old software rendering of graphics in 3D (or fake 3d as raycasting is).

With your arguments nothing done today can be "amazing" it's "just" something blah blah, way to go beeing boring party-poopers. Atleast the guy did something.

Besides, computers are just a simple set of instructions, have a look on the RISC instructionset, very small. So, computers, heh, not really impressive *smugface*.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

Tw1tchy posted:

Actually he did bring up a legitimate point. I suspect the person in the video is indeed just having an array of "pixels" for each screen, and when you turn or move it just picks the correct array to display. If he's not, and is indeed storing each line and forcing the redstone to draw them with an algorithm, then that's impressive. Otherwise, well, it's like making a program that displays slightly interactive slideshows of google maps and calling it your game.

Plus as someone pointed out, it's redstone. It's Turing complete. It's exactly as powerful as any real circuitry, it just takes a lot more room and runs a million times slower. It's not that amazing, just a bit.. well, time wasting I'd say.

Edit: vvv Because making something in minecraft when you could just code it an incredible amount easier is the cool, hip way to do things. Yeah; I think it's amazing that you totally built something Turing complete out of a very slow system designed to be Turing complete :rolleyes:

And raycasting is nowhere near as highlevel as you think. It's; as it says, casting rays in a 3d space, which are just fairly simple line algorithms with a third dimension. Think of a traditional game these days, but instead replace every pixel with a smaller array that encompasses, say, 16 pixel chunks, tracing a line forward in each of the chunks to see what walls it would hit, get the normal of the walls, and adjust lighting accordingly (or with a highlevel raytracing program such as renderers, you would use a higher quality grid, usually 1:1 with pixels, and trace lines outwards from hit objects for reflections and whatnot).

Also yes, a lot of game programmers can't program a simple thing like that because they rely too much on libraries like directX and openGL and whatnot. Kind of sad that not many people do know the logistics and algorithms behind how the actual libraries work, but there is still a lot of people who do, at least for the time being until they're out of the industry.

That is my :words: about raytracing for today. Tune in next week.

Yes? I've written a couple of pseudo-3d engines (raycasters, both the wolfenstein type that is only using 2d and doom-style that also only uses 2d but with height variation) in software and also a couple of software engines in 3d and now adays I spend some of my spare time writing raytracing/casting abstract poo poo in pixelshaders.. thats not my point, the point is that is is quite impressive doing it with redstone.

I didn't say raycasting was highlevel, I said most programmers that have opinions can't even write one in a high-level language (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-level_programming_language) where you can focus on the problem w/o having to care about speed, memory allocation and what not.

Buuuuuuuuuuut this is an rear end in a top hat conversation, so I'm gonna drop it here and just say that I like what he did (just as I love watching what people do with c64s these days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=yFdjWSaDlIo ).

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

Sabaka posted:

I didn't know what minecraft had to do with spergin', but reading through this thread I now fully understand. Jesus christ.

Yepp!

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
*rage about people doing sandboxy things in a sandbox game*

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

chippy posted:

Erm... a game is just a series of screenshots of a game... you just get enough of them per second for it to look like it's moving.

what? are you stupid?

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

IUG posted:

Says the guy who can't use capital letters or commas.

They're called "frames". Usually you get 30 frames per second.

So you are also stupid? A screenshot is most often a file stored on a disc. A series of 1 and 0:s representing an image, a "shot" from the screen. A game generates the image in realtime, it does not have images for every possible image it can show on disc. Also most screens nowadays are at 60hz so you usually get 60 fps if you have a good enough gpu, if you use vsync and do not have you might end up with 30 fps, if you do not use vsync you can get any fps but often with screentearing.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
Are you on meth? You said a game is a series of screenshots. A game is not a series of screenshots.

chippy posted:

Erm... a game is just a series of screenshots of a game... you just get enough of them per second for it to look like it's moving.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

Actually, I'm surprised Minecraft works the way it does now considering it was done in Java. Credit to Notch where it's due, he took a very resource hungry platform and made an outstanding game with it. I can run a mod that does extend the view distance quite a large amount, however it doesn't work with pre5 and I guess they're just waiting for release.

I do agree with you, it would be wonderful if they could improve how the game uses memory and loads/unloads better. Problem is, more view distance = more loaded chunks = more RAM use.

I will stand by my original point however, it's the end of 2011. People with only two gig of RAM should expect issues with any game released this year, including Minecraft. Why hold a game back for those who want to use 5-6 year old hardware? (just realised the irony of that statement)

Hi, java was a bad platform back in the days, today it is very optimized and in some occurances performs just as well as c++ compiled code dude to both clever usage of the JIT compiler and also: did you know that minecraft uses JNI libraries for many things? See the dll files they include in the "bin/natives" folder, this means that many of the things are actually just JNI wrapped calls. Hope this helps. Also, get a SSD disc too since chunks are stored on disc and that is also a performance issue, to stream from a slow disc. But yes, better multicore support would be sweet-rear end.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
For how long did he take vacation? Here in Sweden most people have 5 weeks off per year, some even have 6 or more depending on what they have negotiated.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
The game is ready now isn't it? Fully priced etc.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

PalmTreeFun posted:

Just have modders finish Minecraft. Not even Notch adding mods, he always removes fun parts of them, like making pistons push less blocks/not launch you, and making sticky pistons require slime and not allowing them to pull multiple blocks. Also adjustable extension length.

Funny thing is that I think Notch from the start said that "piston-like blocks would never be possible to add"?

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

Rack posted:

I'm sure there's a good reason for it, but why do all the mods break with each different release? With major updates I can almost understand, but with simple bug-fix updates it generally shouldn't change anything that the mod would do.

Granted, I'm sure that whenever the mod-api or the smp/ssp integration (is this still going to happen?) finally happens it wont really matter, but it matters in the now. I guess I just never thought to ask.

Obfuscation, whenever they make a new build the names and signatures of classes/functions change name.

*edit* to clarify, a mod extends minecraft in some way, hooking into the classes that make up minecraft. If the said class it hooks into/changes/replaces or whatever changes name, then it won't anymore. Hope it makes sense.

Bicehunter fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 3, 2011

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

Macaluso posted:

So the latest 3 yogscast videos. Stuff seemed to happen that I didn't think was possible in the game, but I'm fairly sure they weren't playing with any mods. Any idea how the map maker did some of the stuff they did? Specifically, they got a potion effect (slowness) forced on them at one point even though they didn't actually take a potion themselves, as well as several things they did like using a cauldron or playing a record seemed to activate redstone. How in the world! If those are things you can actually do in vanilla I need to know how for adventure map making!

Piston "bug" activating a nearby block will trigger its state.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

Slickdrac posted:

Learn a real programming language and stop writing in java :bang:

Shut up. You can write bad code in any language.

On another note, gotta love the Color.get(....) in each row instead of storing it just above so that changing color of the text would be... abit easier. Just a small thing but kinda shows bad coding practises.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

Bellend Sebastian posted:

COMICBOX COMIC COLLECTION v1.0 by Bellend Sebastian

Download HERE

omg its a creeeper and then a beee omg I hate both so much right now

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
the joke could be

"nobody puts creeper in the dark corner" /dance

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

CJacobs posted:

A ridiculous shitstorm of "lulz bad grammar XD" posts and image spams from respected MC Forum community members because some would-be troll posted like a twelve year old about a texture pack he "made" (on purpose). It went exactly as well as it sounds. Also it went on for six pages before some rational person decided to report the thread.

Maybe a rational person could remove almost all posts in that forum.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

MrDude posted:

I have an odd issue that's kinda tough to Google, and it's a Linux one so I'm probably borked, but it's bothering me so I'll throw it up.

Whenever I use a view distance besides Tiny, the game will behave just fine, for approximately 2-3 minutes. Really, I can use the farthest view distance and, while FPS takes a hit, the game is playable (playable enough given the advantage of increased view distance, anyways). However, even on the second smallest view distance, after a couple minutes, the game drops to <1 FPS. It's extremely reproducible; every time I need to see something (like, say, the sun), I'll increase the view distance and then go somewhere safe. The game will then turn into molasses, even if I change the view distance back to Tiny, so I restart (after changing back to Tiny) and the game is fine.

At first, I figured it was just some kind of performance issue, because the computer's kinda old, and a laptop, and all that jazz. However, I can use Normal view distance just fine on Windows, and on Linux (currently using latest Xubuntu) I can get 50+ FPS with Optifine on Tiny, yet the game just dies if I so much as start the game on the next highest view distance. It doesn't feel like I should take such a massive hit between the two options, but then, I am dumb.

Is this a weird memory thing that's exaggerated on Linux? Do I need to do something with that -xms or whatever command? Any thoughts?

e: I apparently already have the -xms/-xmx thing going, from one of my prior attempts to fix this. I should probably note I have 1gb of RAM (I think) and have those settings put on 512/768 respectively. I don't really know what a graphics card is so I assume mine is bad/doesn't exist. I don't want this to go into too techy a question, it's just, it's odd that my performance jumps from Street Fighter 2 Alpha responsiveness to <1 fps, just between Tiny and Small.

Hey, maybe your onboard memory on your gfx card runs out when it tries to send up all these new shiny vertices and what not and it will start to try and use your normal ram and then the drivers or what not are bad for that on your flavour of linux and bangbangboom. I have no clue but it could be *anything*, my advice as stupid it might seem is to get a better computer :S

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

The thing is that there isn't one single class for terrain generation. There are several base classes that involve loading, saving, and generating (usually crossed over, clusmily) and the basic generation itself pulls from over a dozen other classes, and usually only under specific prompts.
I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying that's what makes it so impressive they've finally gone out of their way to do this. The older class files must be stored with each saved world now.

Why must the older class files be saved with the saved world? If I did it I'd have several classes (with a common interface) loaded thru reflection, each having a function returning for what version they will generate terrain and then when loading a map it checks what version it is from, it then looks up what class is responsible for that version and voila. As long as the entry class that is responsible for the terrain generation is responsible for whatever result is done (be it using old classes for some things and other new, unique for that specific version) it will be compatible with the old version AS LONG AS you do not modify these "shared" classes. IF you need to modify how one of these classes behave you would have to create a copy of it and then modify that new class.. I'd prolly also place these modified ones in packages clearly denoting for what version they belong (like, lets say I update a class that has to do with generating a biome called Desert and want it to be different in version x.y I'd place it in com.whatever.mycodebase.generation.version.x_y.DesertBiomeGenerator) or something. Bleh.. whatever.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
Well, the amount of block types etc beeing a multiple of 2 isn't very strange, you need to store the id in something, there are many cubes in the datafile, going from a byte to a integer will increase the size by 4 and you'll need to write or read 4 times as many bytes sooo that isn't very strange. (1 byte = 8bits = numbers it hold 0 - 255). He could have done a few tricks tho like if byte is set to 255 then the following byte is also part of the block id etc. The stacking thing I don't really understand since he can't cram the item id into 2 bits since there are more than 4 different items so I guess thats just "quirky indie charm".

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
Well, my minecraft clone is soon ready, got painterly terrain.png mapped onto a quad with transparency and all that stuff, see ya in 2 years when I'm 100 million dollars richer shitlords.

*edit*
Aight, as soon as those texture artifacts are gone I'm gonna start the alpha, prolly sell it for like 5 bucks,

click here for high resolution to awe and awww http://i.imgur.com/5BNFw.jpg

Bicehunter fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 30, 2012

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

Polo-Rican posted:

So how many n-bombs will have to be dropped before they hire some QA guys? Ten more? A hundred?

Do you think they'd dare release an "official release" that might have a hidden n-bomb??

But quirky indie-charm?

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
hey hey guys, can I sell this yet you think.........?

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

PalmTreeFun posted:

What the gently caress did you even do? :psyduck:

I'm making x-craft, a x-com clone with destructible blocks! This should get all nerds of new and old to throw money at me / the screen (as they say on the internet).

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
Meh, I'm just playing around now trying to optimize the "voxel engine" that currently truth to be told is slow. Atleast I have mip-mapping turned on. I may/may not post here when I've actually have something that is not poo poo to show. If that ever happens.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
To be honest tho, it is much easier to implement stuff like frustum culling on voxels since there is a very well defined bounding box ;I So thats that atleast, instead of portals you get a very nice model to place QuadTree + frustum culling over so you can decide pretty quickly what chunks to render and not.

Then there is the whole optimize the chunks part too.. "oh you are within my view, ok, well, can I see you or is there something in the way? And how many cpu cycles can I spend pre-calcing this without it taking 1 hour to load the map?". My lil playground that I've basically done today have a quadtree + frustum culling implementation that is fairly nice already. 64*64*64 grid gradually split down to 4*4*4 chunks with raw block data. The plan is to mark chunks as invisible, if all children of a quad tree node is invisible then that node is invisible too, that will sort out alot of useless tests and rendering. Each chunk should also set up VBOs for fast rendering in a "smart way"(tm) and only rebuild VBOs when they are updated (alien creepers (tm)).

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
I can't count.

*removed due to largness*

maybe smaller is nice..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

a starwar betamax posted:

Looks good. When do you plan on adding the hunger meter?

No hunger-meter, its to mainstream. I'm gonna add some quirky indiecharm to it.

There will be an annoyance-meter. Whenever a stone-like block breaks there will be a chance that you will be hit by pepples that will increase annoyance with 1.

Annoyance will affect the speed of breaking blocks in a bad way.

The only way to remove annoyance is to craft choclate-chip cookies.

Ofc the cocoa beans won't be added until later on and then only as random loot from dungeon chests.

Bicehunter fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 5, 2012