Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

I dunno, this bugs me in a way I'm having trouble difficulty putting into words.

This sort of thing just hints of amateurism from Notch. Legal cases aren't ended by Quake matches, they are ended with big-boy things like court cases. Yeah, it'll cost a bit to deal with it that way, but that's what happens when you're an actual game developer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ota_Himuro posted:

3 million people already bought HIS game and if out of that a million (or even half a million) spergs get pissed at Bethesda being a dick with Notch, and don't buy Skyrim, Bethesda lost a SHITLOAD of money.

Do you really think even half a million of the people who are currently saying I WON'T BUY SKYRIM NOW will actually not buy Skyrim because of this?

Arkitektbmw posted:

Why waste the money and time when you can simply go to whoever has a problem with you and handle it like a grownup? Just because the platform to decide the outcome happens to be a game doesn't make it less adult-like.

See, that's just the thing. Adults don't solve poo poo over games of Quake 3, especially when said poo poo is about adult-level stuff like potential copyright issues.

To even suggest it, though, and especially since he's potentially serious, makes me shake my head. And you're talking to a guy who does "random challenge to determine a result" on occasion with friends.*

I'm not a lawyer, but couldn't Bethesda's lawyers point to this and say something along the lines of "He's not taking this seriously, judge, just award in our favor?"

* Including a "If you want me to play online Starcraft 2 with you guys after laughing at me for liking single player, you have to get a passing grade on a 10-point lore quiz" thing, once.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm sure this is mentioned somewhere, but given that I don't know what it's even defined, it makes it hard to Google:

I haven't played in some time; what does the icons to the right of the heart icons signify?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I am irrationally happy that notch used Standard Galactic Alphabet. As a kid, me and a few equally-retarded friends of mine thought it would be super secret and cool if we wrote all of our super secret notes in SGA, and for reasons I don't quite know, I can still read it. One of those "I don't know how my brain remembers this, or why, but given my memory is that of a goldfish, the fact that I remember something is oddly pleasing" things.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Apathetic Medic posted:

What texture pack is this? (I have this nagging sensation I'm breaking some rule about asking, but oh well, here's hoping I'm wrong.)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

EightBit posted:

It's SPHax.

Thanks! Looks like this'll be the thing that makes me download all those mod programs I no other need for. It better be worth it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ThndrShk2k posted:

There's a very simple thing to notice in the video to ruin it forever.

Is it that you can see the feathers dropping before the slats (unless I'm mistaken), meaning he placed the 'results' there himself?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Few random questions:

-I'm using Sphax with pre2; do I have to wait for it to be updated with pre3, or will it work?

- Can save games just randomly decide to poo poo the bed, performance/crashing wise? I was playing on a going-drat-well map when all of a sudden the game started going into a massive slideshow. That's okay, I think, since Minecraft tends to be a resource hog, and it's happened before. I close out the game and reload it, and the framerate drop is still massive. Eventually (more than a few blocks), I get a brief flash of an error message before the Minecraft window goes black. Corrupted? Something I did wrong? The //only// thing I did before this happened was accidentally loading another Minecraft window, which I immediately closed, and nothing in task manager tells me I've got a shadow copy running in the background.

- Has a vague light fog (even with the farthest draw distance) in deep underground caves a bug or intended? I imagine it's intended as a guide...

A Lamer posted:

I liked the idea of having to balance negatives with positives, as well as having multiple effects on a single potion in general.

The problem with such a system is two fold:

* There's always more min-maxers than non-min-maxers. They don't want to deal with negatives. Leading to...

* Players will eventually discover, and use exclusively, potions without negatives. If there's no pure-positive potion, players will just do without the potion at all.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 6, 2011

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ZarquonHigardi posted:

Sure, min-maxers would probably still go out of their way to make a whole bunch of potions with better effects, but let them waste their time and ingredients.

The flaw with this view of things is that it isn't the min-maxers who would be wasting their time and ingredients. It would be the folks who like to find out everything about a game's system who are wasting their time/ingredients. Kingdom of Loathing called these sorts of players spades.

Now, a solution to that has been mentioned here: randomize everything, every time. This winds up with a different, but equally annoying outcome. If you'll read the link I posted, you'll find that there's many different player types. Spades love having to figure things out. The other player types don't find it fun to do it.

I don't think Notch is dumb enough to have yet another "only geniuses with too much time on their hands have use for it" mechanic in Minecraft like Redstone.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 7, 2011

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
drat, I just realized why I'm getting so much graphical corruption and game-crashing lately.

I only have two gig of memory and Minecraft is running out of memory on me. I don't think I can go back to the original textures...

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I have to admit this is vaguely off-topic for the thread, but since the framing-issue is Minecraft, I hope I don't get yelled at for it:

As I mentioned earlier, playing with a high-res pack (which is so purty I can't bring myself to go back) has been causing me a lot of out-of-memory issues. I'm on Windows XP, with 2g of memory (I'm a "upgrade only when I really need to" guy, which is why I haven't upgraded much), so it's not really surprising.

Because Minecraft is the only situation so far I've had issues with, I'm a bit hesitant about spending a lot of cash on a Windows upgrade and memory, so I'd like to pick one: upgrade to more memory, or upgrade Windows?

The fact that XP doesn't 'fully' use 4g leads me to think to upgrade to Win7, but just upgrading to Win7 won't help the memory issues in minecraft... or would it?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Grey Goo would be awesome for the anal-retentive folks like me who, having realized that underground patches of dirt tend to hide additional caves / resources, cannot abide them existing in my underground caves.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

quote:

How about building a reasonably sized manor house out of smoothstone. Put it in a floating island, and make sure there's a cave entrance nearby.

There should be a tower surrounded by leaves somewhere nearby

Will do! :)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Am I the only one that wishes there was a middle-tier between diamond and iron items? Diamond is so much better than iron that it almost seems like there's a tier missing. Something with, say, 600 or 700 uses on it. Diamond would still be the best, but it would prevent having to burn through dozens of iron pickaxes all the friggin time.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

trandorian posted:

And again, diamond deposits can easily be only one or two blocks, not enough to get a pick out of.

This is how things tend to go for me, and I make it a point to always carve out around a deposit of ore to see if there's any more.

I've burned out diamond pickaxes before finding more diamond deposits fairly consistently.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
For no reason other than I'm kinda impressed with it (although I admit this is nothing compared to some of the other things I've seen in this thread), I'm going to show off my current save. I've been in Mobs-Be-Gone-Cuz-I'm-Building-Dammit mode for a while, but planning on going off it in a bit.

Overview:

A: The Lava Fountain
B: The House
C: The Mini-Forest (the house is on grassland, so I plant a forest whenever I feel I'm going to need more wood)
D: The Water Fountain
A: The Nether Portal

Now, where is this taken from? The Spire, of course:

I made it because the area near the House has a massive crisscrossing of tunnels, and I've gotten lost a ton of times. So I've had to do the dug-upwards-and-put-ladders thing, and a Giant rear end Glowing Spire is a solid orienting tool.

Closeup Of House

I need to make this thing bigger, because I plan on doing some enchanting/etc, and because I have enough dirt and gravel that I need more chests. I have enough space, but I'm anal about organizing stuff.

Closeup of Nether Gate

The original idea was making this into a giant Red Lantern logo, but in black. It didn't look quite right, and didn't feel like mining / pouring stuff to make obsidian. I plan on getting more glowstone and NRack to make it more demonic looking.

Now, you know how I said that underneath the house is a massive labyrinth? It's so complex (and I'm so anal about how tunnels are carved out) that I haven't gotten to this open-air quarry not far away from the rest of my stuff.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Minor rant/question: has there been any word on Notch reverting the "diamond is much more insanely rare" change? I think I've found a total of 3 units of it, and it's not for lack of exploring.

Another question, more on the visual side of things: be it with an improved texture pack or mere imagination, does the Standard Creeper Face 'feel' to you one of agony / sadness, or just how their faces look? I used to enjoy the Agony Face interpretation, but this fan picture almost seems 'right' to me: it's not an actual agony face, just their mouths curve downward.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Has this bug ever happened to anyone else?

I was in the Nether, and upon leaving, my exit gate was in a cave. Thing is, I didn't PUT the main world gate in a cave.

I thought that maybe the gates had somehow become disconnected, but as I left the cave, I saw some natural landmarks near my home base were in the same place, including one of the trees in the area I KNEW I cut down when first playing the level.

Basically, everything in the main world was reverted back to a pristine, unedited condition.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This is going to be a strange question, but it's inspired by Minecraft and someone here with game / computer resource development may have some idea:

We know Creepers were originally pig models that didn't come out right. But once I saw a picture of the faild pig model, I couldn't help but wonder how it's possible to say "I'm going to make a pig model" and wind up with something like that. I mean, if I made a pig model, it'd suck, but think it would still be a vaguely pig-shaped model.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I was vaguely thinking that it might have been done via numbers, but couldn't think of a way to put that into words, so I omitted it. Hell, it took me a few minutes to decide on calling it "done via numbers".

EDIT: Everyone has likely seen this, but I don't think I ever have: the very first video of what became Minecraft. "It will have more resource management and materials, if I ever get around to finishing it."

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 3, 2011

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Someone said it earlier, but one of the things I'd love is the ability to define which mobs I want to deal with. It's hard to explain coherently, but Creepers put me in this too-paranoid-to-do-anything-else headspace that ticks me off. Any other mob, sure. Creepers? Sit in my hut cuz no matter how careful I am, I'm going to miss one and I'm going to have to rebuild stuff

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Boat posted:

Also I have to hand it to the guys over there at Mojang, they've managed to create the most confusing-to-navigate thing physically possible in Minecraft with those new abandoned mines. Jesus gently caress, how many layers does this thing have? What do you mean there's torches places I haven't been yet?!?

I know it's not the most legit source, the TVTropes article about Minecraft has this to say:

TV Tropes posted:

And now thanks to a glitch in the Adventure update pre-release, we have abandoned mine systems. They are generated procedurally underground in small chunks, but because of a bug in their code, any new chunk created while leaving a mine shaft will be another mine shaft. This leads to endless, labyrinthine catacombs that may not have existed at all if you had tried to tunnel into them from above first.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
No pictures, since it wouldn't be all that interesting visually:

On a new save game, I quickly realized that the hole in the side of the nearby mountain doesn't naturally open to any cave system. So I found a random wall, and proceeded to dig a downward corridor.

Since I'm listening to some radio and I'm not feeling all too clever, I decide to make the downward corridor fairly simple. Lower the level by a block every three block. I figured that before long, I'd break into a cave.

I dig, deeper and deeper. I burn through eight stone picks or so, I spend about a minute walking back up the corridor. I walk back down, taking a minute to get back. I keep digging, I'm going to find a natural corridor, right?

Eventually, fifty-five steps later, I hit the impossibly-disturbing smoke that hovers near the impossible-to-destroy blocks. All told, it takes 49 seconds at walking speed to go from the bottom of the corridor to the top of it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is there anything I'm missing, with regards to keeping chickens from escaping? I made a reasonably-sized chicken fence, but somehow the beasts are able to escape!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've just started playing again with a fresh install and the latest snapshot, and overhangs have no lighting. Case in point:

Give it enough time (usually have to get very close and wait a few minutes), it'll clear up:

Is there any fix for this? It used to be that this would happen once in a blue moon, but now distant mountains / caverns are covered in these things, and it's really somewhat annoying. I'm pretty sure it's not the texture pack.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This is almost more mod-like, but I figure it applies here more:

Just started playing the game again, and I've downloaded MCPatcher and my favorite texture pack. Things have changed, and I'm not sure how to install the pack nowadays. I've opened the appropriate Resource Folder from within the game, copy/pasted a folder (and later the zip when that didn't work), but it's not showing up in-game.

Am I missing a step? I did my Google-searching, but all the results are a) outdated, b) youtube videos, or c) outdated youtube videos.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sylink posted:

Whatever happened to that lovely space game that was being made is that still a thing ?

Or Scrolls, for that matter? Was that the Big Thing that failed he referenced in his letter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
99% of the issues with what Notch did is best described as jealously masquerading as morality. They want to be the ones making that bank, but they lack legal / objective ways to couch their jealousy. So they grumble about the ethics or morality of it.

They talk about what he should have done, or what they wistfully say they'd do. Even though they wouldn't, because they think themselves better than the more successful.

People who kvetch about the rich and what they do are the same folks who think that guys need to be assholes to get women.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 17, 2014