Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010

whiteshark12 posted:

Total: $16,261.71

Dear god. If he weren't rich he would be in trouble now.

I enjoyed watching the stream.

He switched to http://www.justin.tv/realnotch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010

FamDav posted:

EDIT: So...does Notch only know how to make one game?

Since there is a time limit, I guess he is sticking to what he knows.

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010

Fayez Butts posted:

What are those three four textures at the bottom of the terrain.png next to the block-break animation?

Two of them are probably town borders.

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010
One thing i would like to see in minecraft, is for your safety inside your base to be more often challanged. At the moment, as soon as you have your walls up and a spider overhang attached, you are completely save. Having to defend that savety would be really cool.
I really struggle to think up how to do that in a "minecraftian" way though. Building in wall destroying mobs seems somehow wrong. Also the feeling of safety inside your base is kinda important for the game.
Has anyone come up with some ideas here?

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010
I think the best effect the food bar could have is a positive one. Instead of punishing the player for not eating he should be rewarded for keeping it full. Health regeneration, sprinting, more damage/speed while fighting and faster mining would all be excellent motivations to keep fed. Lowering my health though, i feel pushed around. Which kinda does not fit into minecrafts general design, i think.

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Yes, but without individual options, there's no solution for people who don't like hunger but do like monsters.

I am with you. I too would like to see a bit more granularity in this. Especially when it comes to food.

Like it is currently explained, if you go afk for a few minutes in smp you might return to your character being almost dead. You better log out every time you leave your pc.

I like the whole regeneration of health instead of straight up filling it. But i don't like that it drains it.

The need for food should come as a result of the players actions. Sprinting a lot? Better eat some food. Fighting monsters? Better keep my food bar up.
It would be easy to add more actions that drain on your belly:
- Rowing a boat
- Walking long distances
- Mining
- Swimming
- go wild here...

You are hungry? Then you do all of these things less effective or not at all.

All of those things would make you eat regulary and make food important.

But the simple passage of time kills me? What am I, a loving Tamagochi?

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010

Jesto posted:

I don't think starving even killed you in Minecraft's predecessor, Wurm Online. And Wurm Online was all about finding new and interesting ways to kill you or frustrate you while managing little bars. All starving did was slow you down and screw with you in other harmless but bothersome ways, but that could be fixed easily enough by forgaging for berries in the grass around you.

I guess you can just play on Peaceful or Easy to get around the slow hunger drain of death, though.

Changing the difficulty to easy is currently no option to fix food, as it also disables monsters, which are an important part of the game.

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010

Asimo posted:

You still get monsters with Easy, they just do less damage. Only Peaceful disables monsters.

You are right.

Asimo posted:

And who knows how long it'll take for the meter to empty. If it's like a whole Minecraft day, it's not much of an issue at all.

If it's no issue anyway, why not make it optional? Independent of the general difficulty of course. Honestly, it's just some boolean flag in some if Statement.

Relaxodon fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Sep 8, 2011

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010

Fire posted:

I really can't wait for this and the next update. Finding new things in the generated world will be a lot of fun. I just wonder if I will need to start a new world to find these villages and new biomes or if I can just walk off the side of the map to find the new lands.

I am also curious what he is planning on doing with NPCs in 1.9

Yes, you probably just need to generate new chunks somewhere where you have not been before. The new Chunks will not necessarily fit the old ones though, so it will probably look bad.

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010
Just got out of one of those ridiculously huge mines. I have now more planks than i entered with.

To those who, like me, get easily lost in those things:

When you go down a shaft always cut the left of the plank supports. This way you always know which way is out. If you hit a dead end track back to the last intersection and barricade/mark the shaft. If you loop back onto a previously explored shaft mark that somehow, too.

If you want to exit a mine just keep the remaining supports on your left.

These mines are way to big.

Also, has anyone found a piece of land that has NO mine under it?

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010

Steelion posted:

I just downloaded and installed the 1.8 jar, but it doesn't automatically update the texture files, apparently, so I can't see the hunger or experience bars, or any of the new blocks and items. How do I fix this?

Use the standard texture pack. It works.

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010
Calling it now: They are going to go open source at minecon.

(Not entirely serious)

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010
Are Endermen only spawning in specific biomes? I am playing pre5 and i just cant find one even after several nights roaming about.

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010

Bicehunter posted:

Added better input method using jinput (same as minecraft) that polls the os for events instead of the worthless awt model. Messing around abit terrain-gen to distribute different blocktypes on the volume.

The biggest "issue" I bumped into now is modifying the terrian. I've just started and I am doing it in a brute-force way, rebuilding the vbo for a chunk that has been updated is not *that* heavy calculationwise, but what does create a problem is the slowness that the floatbuffer (using javaNIO ofc, but still) is sending the new data to the GPU. This creates a sudden and fast framerate drop when the GPU is starved on pts and is waiting for the rest of the data. That might not be noticable if you remove a block at the time.. but should you do many small fast updates to the chunks then it will be VERY noticable. I'm going to evaluate this anyways, one thing to do is to reduce the chunk-size, but this is also abit bad because VBO's excel when they are bigger (they get bigger when a chunk is bigger because it contains more data to render). I can actually understand somewhat why Notch chose to use display lists.. maybe I'm gonna check that out, it is kinda fast too (much faster than pushing each vertex etc with the cpu) but its abit arcane, an old old technique.

We will see what happens, I'm enjoying myself atleast ;P
The short-term plan is to make a mock-game.
You are an cosmonaut stuck on an astroid. You have to find the 10 space artifacts hidden on the astroid to be able to get home. At your disposal you have your spacepack (thrust for bigger jumps), your grabbing rope (cant remember what it is called hrrfff), a spacedrill and possibly items found while looking for the artifacts, like 1 time use teleporters (point somewhere, use, get teleported there), space artifact hints that will show you the closest artifact etc.

If I remember correctly OpenGL has funktionality to only update parts of a VBO. Maybe you can organize your Vertexdata in a way that allows you to only change parts of the VBO that correspond to the manipulated blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010
Man i would love to participate in a game of this. Would any euro timezone compatible people be up for this?