Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

I'm working with funguw, a cowgus, a shrow or infected cow.

Fungus, shroom, cow, bovine, you'd think one could be more inventive than fungow at least.

That's clearly a cow so thoroughly infected that it's become a mooshroom.

e: Oh god I didn't realize that was the actual name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Howmuch posted:

Texture pack is Summerfield 32x32

So I compared this with Jolicraft and the majority of their textures are Jolicraft, resized to 32x32 and drawn over. :argh:

They completely ripped off the cow too, I'm sure there's more but I didn't want to go through every single file and compare. I'll bet they're ripping off other texture packs too.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, it's right there in the thread subtitle too, but it pissed me off that he was telling people to go gently caress themselves with a cactus when they pointed out the similarity in textures. That's not really "inspiration" at that point. :/
I guess the Jolicraft guy is okay with people using his textures anyway. I just think it's scummy to use someone's work like that and then say you aren't.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

I think it'd really go a long way toward making Endermen not terribly annoying if they just made it so they couldn't move blocks touching lava, water, redstone or rails, or any redstone stuff. Everything else is annoying but not terrible.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

I'm trying to figure out how to do stuff with redstone but I don't really follow video tutorials well and I was having trouble visualizing the diagrams on the minecraft wiki so I'm doing a relatively simple guide with screenshots as I work things out.
It's pretty much just me screenshotting stuff as I try it out and explaining it in terms that I'll remember right now, but I thought it might be useful if you're like me and deeply confused by even really simple redstone. :shobon: If anyone has feedback on my explanations or my set ups on any examples, that'd be great - I pretty much have no clue what I'm doing.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Man, I didn't even think to actually test it with the walls in place, I just assumed it'd work. :doh: Thank you, that really helps - I'm still trying to grasp exactly how power transfers between blocks. I've reread the explanations for it a few times but I just don't have it down yet.
I'll update that demo tomorrow when I get a chance.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Next part of my tutorial/fumbling exploration of redstone is up: XOR gates and clocks even though I can't get clocks to work half the time, somehow.

What's the deal with repeaters, anyway? I can't seem to get them to take power half the time and when they do the clock setups I've seen using them just entirely fail to function.

And if anyone has requests for demos I'll try to get them up eventually, even if it takes me a while to learn the necessary components of something. :downs:

e: Nevermind, I just realized that my "weird issues with repeaters" were actually a failure to realize they had a directional arrow on them for a reason...

Clockwork Cupcake fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 10, 2011

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

I'm working on a demo for a NOR toggle that I thought would be relatively simple and illustrate things nicely. Except it's not working.

The central bit of it is a RS NOR latch or toggle (or I'm not sure what the difference is), with the two inputs being the levers visible to the left and right, and the outputs are the iron door and the torch near the lever on the right.

What I want to happen is that the door starts out open (I was just messing with the levers and forgot to switch it back for the screenshot) and the visible torch starts off unlit, then if someone pulls the left lever the door shuts and stays toggled shut, and the torch toggles on. Then the lever on the right acts as the reset switch, opening the door again and shutting the alarm light off.

What's actually happening is that if I flick the left lever the warning light comes on and off like I'm just using a plain input switch, and the same thing happens with the right lever, but it controls the door.

This is going to be another really dumb mistake, isn't it?

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

The background redstone would be a sample NOR toggle that I made just to test it out, and which I totally forgot was in the shot. Woops. It's not connected to anything.

I'll try the buttons, thanks. :)

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Willie Trombone posted:

I could tell that the background circuit wasn't connected, I wasn't talking about that. The redstone going up under/behind the sign is powered but whatever is powering it isn't shown in this shot... that's important, even if it's just a torch inverting the switch's output.

Oh, sorry - I misunderstood. There's a torch on the back of the block with the lever, then just a plain trail below it.
... Actually, that's probably the issue - changing the levers to buttons and adding a second torch so the input wasn't inverted is making the toggle work properly, except that the torch and door are closed and opened by the opposite buttons from how I'd like it to be, and I can probably fix that. Thanks! I completely forgot that that torch was even there.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Two new posts up in the Simple Redstone blog tonight: a very limited intro to latches/flip-flops, and a demo of a possible use for a latch circuit.

With errors, of course. At least I noticed them this time. :v:

The blog currently has exactly one hit from a google search, and it was for "redstone tutorial for non sperglords". I hope you were satisfied, whoever you are!

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Kas, I always love it when you post previews - there are so many options that I've never tried so it's nice to get a look at them as they all come out.

Those blocky things with the mouths are magma cubes, right? The honey one is just making me picture one that looks like a big square bee.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Nyyen posted:

I'm floating an idea for a server for anyone interested.

This is a cool idea and I'd be interested in helping out. PM me?

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Happy pumpkin happy pumpkin yay yay yay! Happy! :3:

Thanks for the jack o' lantern inspiration, Kas.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

It turns out domes are kind of addictive to make!

I'm thinking of maybe expanding this into an adventure map. Made of domes. Mainly to give me a reason to keep making them.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Oh wow, good luck! Would grass fall under $10 or would it count as multiple tiles with the side textures?

vvv: Oops, sorry, sure thing. :)

Clockwork Cupcake fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 5, 2011

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Diogines posted:

I am hoping this thread might help me enjoy Minecraft again.

I had fun for a while building random stuff, but that has sort of worn off. I have no friends to play with, so there is no fun to be had in collaboration with friends.

There is such ENORMOUS variety of mods that I honestly can't sort through them and am uncertain which might make the game more fun anyway.

I just can't find an online server which seems very fun.

Anyone have any ideas for me?

You could hop over to the modding thread and ask there for more input, but there are a couple of already-compiled mod packs that're pretty good. The Technic pack adds a lot of industrial stuff, and the Yogbox has... a whole ton of stuff that I honestly don't remember right now.

Or you could try getting into building with redstone if you haven't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

I'm getting this error whenever I try to run the game:

quote:

Minecraft has crashed!
----------------------

Minecraft has stopped running because it encountered a problem.

If you wish to report this, please copy this entire text and email it to support@mojang.com.
Please include a description of what you did when the error occured.

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT 141ccf11 --------
Generated 3/3/12 5:39 PM

Minecraft: Minecraft 1.0.0
Java: 1.6.0_21, Sun Microsystems Inc.
VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (mixed mode), Sun Microsystems Inc.
LWJGL: 2.4.2
OpenGL: null version null, null

java.lang.IllegalStateException: glGetString(GL_VERSION) returned null - possibly caused by missing current context.
at org.lwjgl.opengl.GLContext.getSupportedExtensions(GLContext.java:187)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.ContextCapabilities.initAllStubs(ContextCapabilities.java:4355)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.ContextCapabilities.<init>(ContextCapabilities.java:4661)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.GLContext.useContext(GLContext.java:352)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Context.makeCurrent(Context.java:183)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.makeCurrent(Display.java:730)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.makeCurrentAndSetSwapInterval(Display.java:896)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:860)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:784)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(SourceFile:205)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:644)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
--- END ERROR REPORT 93d6ae04 ----------

This is from a Technic install, but if I try to run vanilla it does the exact same thing - same exact error. I tried to look it up but all I found were other people with the same issue and no answers. Anyone know what's going on?