Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I run a server and plan on starting it over once 1.8 hits for the new biome generation stuff. But a few people on my server want the current world for their single player. Which file do I give them for that? :v:

Assuming you havn't renamed your world, they would need the entire folder named world, or if you changed the world name, that would be the folder they need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!
I've used the same loadout since notch first added survival mode, since when it was first introduced you started with tools, and I got too used to the way they were arranged when you spawned then to ever change:

1. Pick
2. Shovel
3. Axe
4. Sword
5. Bow
6-8. Food/crap
9. Torches

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

Allen Wren posted:

So, with the layout thing, more often than not I have a rather similar layout to most people, but one thing I do is that I also put my arrows on my hotbar, next to the bow, because no matter what, I always find myself very low on arrows, either from having no flint or having no feathers---more the latter with how mob spawns have changed. It was more of a thing before charged shots from the bow, when killing something took five arrows, and if I only had three, I'd be In Trouble, but I still like to be aware without having to drop into my inventory mid-combat.

That's probably one of my favorite little things that zombie's mod does; it shows how many arrows you've got in the top left, and changes color depending on how many you have left (green --> red)

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

tinaun posted:

Anyone else notice new explosion, door and bow sounds?

They sound so much better than the old ones.

Edit: The explosion sound sounds worse in large groups then the old one.

Yea I'm really not a big fan of these new sounds, especially the bow one, it just seems a bit too quiet...

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

Install Gentoo posted:

So, uh, I barely played the 1.9 pre-releases, just went from 1.8.1 to 1.0. Was it intentional that 1.0 generates a lot more livestock per chunk than 1.8.1 did, or just a happy accident?

I see so much more livestock around on 1.0 worlds, or at least it seems that way. I even found a forest area that had 20 wolves which I then all tamed and use them as my personal army.

Pretty sure 1.8.1 had livestock bugged where they hardly ever spawned because they never despawned or something like that.

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!
So the server that I am one of the owners on recently reset the map for 1.0, and I'm just posting here to show off our spawn and market that another staff member and I built, hope you like them!

Spawn:

full imgur album here

Market:

full imgur album here

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

Senator Woofington posted:

Creative or survival? If its the latter holy poo poo!

Survival, of course, although we do have a creative world, but it has a less impressive spawn since we didn't put much time into it, and wanted to leave more room for the members to build.

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

CJacobs posted:

It was more expensive to "preorder" when it was in Alpha on PC and there was no Survival. There were also like 20 fewer blocks useable in Creative. :geno:

And yet I still played creative for months before survtest even came out :v:

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

CJacobs posted:

I wasn't saying the price it's at now is justified, I'm just saying that on PC it was basically twice that price and there were half the features there are now (Survival aside). I was agreeing that seven bucks is probably overpriced for a mobile version.

Back in alpha when notch didn't have his swimming pool of money lots of people (including me) just bought the game to support him, which included the amazing prize of being able to change your skin, but now that he's coining it, I definitely agree that the mobile version is overpriced for the amount of content it delivers.

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!
So has everybody seen the teaser of the new mob? It kinda looks like a snake to me, but people were talking about jon mentioning monkeys? Not entirely sure...

(in the grass on the right)

Azurius fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 25, 2012

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!
As much as I love complaining about Notch, I decided to show off a thing I made instead, enjoy.

Now Notch just needs to add orcs :v:

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

D34THROW posted:

I feel like that's something out of WC3...nice build.

You are a terrible nerd, it is helms deep of course!

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

Bussamove posted:

Akliz is what I use as well, and for every major update they've had the option to change to the current jar from the control panel. That being said I usually keep mine at the old version for a while until Bukkit updates, but with them joining Mojang I have no idea how I'm going to keep creepers from blowing everything up anymore.

Actually, bukkit joining Mojang is good news for 1.2, since they're already working on the update now, so in theory bukkit should update faster then usual.

Keep in mind that since this is bukkit we're talking about, they could just as well take a month to get an RB out, so you never know.

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

Vib Rib posted:

I was getting ready to set up a multiplayer server with just a friend or two. However, if I don't have the minecraft server.jar right now, there's no way for me to get the 1.1 server.jar from here on out, is there? Because they updated?

I mean it's too late to get an older server .jar now that they've updated right?
E: Whoops I guess it doesn't matter anyway because I don't have a vanilla 1.1 jar anyway and my friend sure as hell doesn't. Guess we have to play unmodded multiplayer until everything updates in a few weeks.

You could always use MCNostalgia to backdate your 1.2 jar. And for the server jar, why not just use one of bukkit's many releases for 1.1?

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!
So a friend and I built this for our server a week or so ago as the spawn since we reset the map for 1.2, and I just thought I'd share it with you guys.

The view when you first join.

It's sort of inspired by Angkor Wat.

It took us around a week of straight building to finish it, but was totally worth it.

Personally, I think it looks the coolest at night.

Full album here: http://imgur.com/a/irYcZ#9

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So what are the generally recommended server hosts nowadays, anyways? Who's reliable?

I would highly recommend Akliz, great prices, great servers, and if you don't like it they have a 7 day money back guarantee.

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

Imapanda posted:

So, is the very-far distance video option not in the game anymore or is my java messed up somehow?

That's from Optifine, it's not in vanilla minecraft.

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

Enzer posted:

More vanilla related, has anybody thought the Enderdragon since 1.3? Dinnerbones tweeted that he apparently fixed a bug that was preventing the stupid thing from dealing damage after you hit it. Says it is a much harder fight now, though I really don't think it well help much with how dull it is to begin with and that combat in minecraft blows.

The Enderdragon is just terrible, and with the way minecraft combat is currently there isn't much that can be done to make the fight not extremely tedious and boring, making it deal more damage just adds to the tedium, since if you die you get to start over again.

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

chrisf posted:

I don't know if it's goon-run but akliz has a sticky in sa-mart http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3419908 and a few of the posts talk about how easy it was to get their support to load a nonstandard release.

You don't even need to submit a support ticket to use a custom jar anymore, you can just stick it in the root ftp folder and it will show up on your mods tabs in their command center.

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

Schweinhund posted:

this didn't work for me when I tried it before. I also don't see anything resembling a "mods tab" though.

Click this:
http://i.imgur.com/qCggZ.png

Custom jar should appear here:
http://i.imgur.com/0Vh5A.png

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

Wahad posted:

It's even worse when you're playing on a server and despite the sign that right there says "These are not your cows, please do not kill" you keep logging on to find your cow-pen empty.

I just wanna point out, that is completely dependent on the server you're playing on. Unless that's allowed in the rules, any server worth it's salt should have plugin that can see who killed those cows and admins who can give you back the cows you lost.

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

Quatrefoil posted:

I have the same problem, also started with 1.4.x. Incredibly loving annoying.

From what I've found, the problem is caused by you not actually being close enough to the chest to properly interact with it, so even though you're doing stuff client side, the game doesn't count it. Just always stand closer to your chests and it shouldn't happen.

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

Digital War posted:

It really isn't worth it to enchant books, you'll get much better enchants enchanting items.

The only reason I enchant books is to get unbreaking 3 for my swords/bows/armor, otherwise it's not really worth it until you have everything ever enchanted.

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!
Holy poo poo, does this mean finally no more double tapping W for sprint?! That would be amazing.

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!
So you know how people were complaining about how the new oceans were terrible and there would be no more cool survival islands?

This was the first world I got on the new snapshot, nothing but water on far view distance:

:v:

(seed: -6708724611029879182)

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

Spoggerific posted:

Wasn't there a 2 for 1 Christmas sale several years ago, near the very start of the game's life? I think I remember something like that. It was way back, before even infdev, if I'm remembering correctly. I don't think there have been any other sales or sale like things, though.

It was 2 for one for valentines day, I remember buying another account just for fun.

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!
I've been helping out on the Playmindcrack server for a while (a minigames server by those guys who do UHC) and I just wanted to show off the lobby a couple people and I made, since my favorite part of this thread is seeing people's builds.

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

Disappointing Pie posted:

Anyone had any experience with Realms? I'm thinking of when 1.8 becomes stable and released of setting one up for my nephews/nieces/cousins and myself. Just looking for a no nonsense server.

I know I can get a server from McProHosting or Akliz, but I want something I can pay for a year or so and never ever think of again.

I'm not sure about McProHosting, but I know that Akliz lets you buy a server for a year, you just have to change the dropdown under Billing Cycle when getting a server.

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!
Here's some stuff I built for a plot server:

Wizard tower:

Round table:

Dragon bones:

Tree (I like doing trees ok!!)

Starcraft barracks

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!
I made some things:

Mall:

Sewer:

Catacombs library thing:

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!
I made a compilation of a lot of my builds over the past 6 years of minecraft:

http://imgur.com/a/46MaN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

Captain Invictus posted:

That's a pretty fuckin' sweet evolution of building skill. You should share that album on imgur, it's really impressive. Maybe make some notes for what each thing is, some are obvious but others not so much.

Thanks! I added a short description for all of them.