Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Yogs did it way better with Israphel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

ThndrShk2k posted:

Basically they're suing because they have to. They have a team of lawyers on payroll so they are not losing money on this suit.

They don't have to. Yeah I understand about protecting your trademark, but they don't have to sue over a card game taking a single word from their incredibly lengthy title since the possibility that they'd lose their trademark over it is 0. They made the choice to sue.

Now if he'd titled it "The Older Scroll: Torment", then they'd probably have to do it.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

quiggy posted:

I believe it's one of the giant mushrooms he's adding.

The mushrooms look kind of lovely (I've seen better ones that people mocked up when hearing about their addition) but I think it's cool that Notch is trying to make the world more fantastical.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Bellend Sebastian posted:

What i mean is that given that it's already a bit sluggish, adding anything on top, no matter how trivial it may seem, can't really end well, as good as the idea is.

The only fundamentally performance-inhibiting aspect of Minecraft is the chunk loading, since that's limited by hard drive IO times. The CPU stuff wouldn't be a problem if Notch made the game support multiple-core CPUs.

Then again, based on the Minecraft Youtube videos I've seen, most people are running Minecraft on a P3 at 15 FPS.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

chippy posted:

Every individual feature in Minecraft should have an on/off toggle in the options so I can tailor my gaming experience exactly to my own pernickity demands, just like other games do. :psyduck:

Very few games start off without hunger meters and then get hunger meters patched in

I don't really like hunger meters in any game. Managing them isn't really fun to me and I doubt a game could ever actually make it fun.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

So I can't really play the game because the launcher is freezing and I assume it's because Minecraft.net is getting hammered or whatever. Why the hell does Notch still have the webserver and auth server combined?

Edit: It'll let me play offline after waiting like 5 minutes for the connection attempt to time out.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 10, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Poison is in and it does work, get hit by a spider. Rotten Flesh doesn't seem to poison you, though. When you're poisoned your hearts turn yellow/brown and you lose a LOT of health.

Rotten flesh gives you food poisoning, which makes your food meter turn green and start dropping quickly for a little while.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

runsamok posted:

The food bar doesn't tick down while you've got your inventory screen open. I left myself at my ghetto skelly drowner all night and came back to a satiated guy and a dozen stacks each of arrows & bones.

The food bar doesn't tick down if you're just standing still, period.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Quick question about the latest prerelease - are the new C418 tracks in the background music mix or are they only available as records?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

ArfJason posted:

So uhhh, who are these yogcast people? I see them mentioned a lot and pretty much what I know about them is that they do Let's Plays of minecraft? Any goon willing to shed more light on the subject?

They're just a couple gaywads who talk over movies of a vidcon game

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Tirius posted:

Honestly, I'd hold off for another month or two. There have been a number of updates lately that radically change the game. Notch's current plan is to put out another major update in a week or so, then spend one month bug fixing, and polishing things up before releasing the "finished" product sometime in late November.

Notch's "current" plan is the same as his plan from 3 months ago when he said he was done making significant changes to Minecraft.

Not ragging on the guy, but it's pretty hilarious that he's adding dragons and another dimension after saying that.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

MikeJF posted:

No. What you are saying is the case much of the time, but it doesn't practically extend to single, common words. Bethesda would be in no legal peril of losing its trademark over a game being called Scrolls, much like Valve would not be in trouble if there was a game called Life.

Yes, if trademark holders were obligated to pursue litigation over such common words that barely resemble their trademark you'd hear about cases like these far more often. As it is, you've got Bethesda and that weird Edge dude.

glug posted:

It's dumb but I can see where bethesda lawyers are probably right in thinking they have to give the legal stinkeye.

I can also see how their lawyers would think they should pursue it, but it bothers me when people start talking about how they were obligated to pursue it. Companies are obligated to protect their trademark when it's threatened, but examples of cases likes this involved far more blatant infringement. They made a judgment call, and based on precedent they probably didn't have to.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 18, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Macaluso posted:

What the gently caress, it's a cute video of some baby creepers who cares if it's not in the mod thread?

His post took up some of this thread's very limited "post supply", so Vib Rib had to put an end to it before things got even worse.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Sabaka posted:

I didn't know what minecraft had to do with spergin', but reading through this thread I now fully understand. Jesus christ.

Redstone's true name is actually aspergite, if that's any indication.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Crosscontaminant posted:

Yes it is. They are generated by a process called rendering rather than being drawn from prestored images, and they are called frames, but they are still screenshots.

This is a pretty hilarious semantic argument.

Rendered images are not screenshots. Screenshots are, by definition, a dump of what's being displayed on the screen. What you should say instead is that both rendered frames and screenshots are "images", but the processes by which you arrive at a frame and a screenshot are very, very different.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

JuHoZ posted:

Oh my god. This Minecraft 360 trailer is so bad.

I forgot about Minecraft for the 360. Are they still going ahead with Kinect support for some stupid loving reason?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Senator Woofington posted:

Minecon is literally a horrible idea. Its filled with social awkward kids who play minecraft. Its a two day convention about minecraft. I mean what else needs to be said? Pocket minecraft is poo poo. Minecraft for the 360 is unnecessary.

Yeah stuff like Comiccon is one thing because everyone there has a huge variety of interests. Minecon is just...well it just seems awkward and kind of creepy.

And yeah Minecraft Pocket seems really lovely

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Pigmassacre posted:

Jeez you guys seem uptight, I too thought the ending was abit awkward but cmon, they're developers, not PR-people.

You're right, the PR person with the stupid hair coloring was the worst part.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Shukaro posted:

To all these people complaining about the ending: What were you expecting as an "end" to Minecraft?

Probably getting a rad artifact and some special building materials? I don't know, getting a loving red pick that carves out blocks in the shape of Notch's head would be a more appropriate "ending" to Minecraft.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

While I get the impression this is mostly just Notch awkwardly trying to cover his rear end after some complaints, it just goes to further prove that Minecon was a big horrible mistake in every possible way.

I wish I lived in a world where you weren't obligated to "cover your rear end" in order to appease the 2 people out of thousands who complained about a thing.

But yes, everything about Minecon is a weird, awkward mess. It's like going to an anime/comic convention where everyone dresses up in the same costume and talks about one single topic.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

NeilPerry posted:

I think the biggest problem is that Notch is one of those people. I don't know how to call them but they're the group YouTube let's players and Minecraft Chick belong to in the way they act and react to things. You know, the exact opposite of a goon.

It's exactly why I love yogscast. They laugh at most of their fans and stay critical(though never very vocally) about stupid poo poo in custom maps. It's a subtle thing, really, but it's why they're the only YouTube 'celebrities' I can stand.

I'd call it "Having a sharp sense of humor that goes beyond simply regurgitating what you read on 4chan or reddit, as well as having a thick skin and a decent amount of self esteem".

And don't get me started on how criticism is taboo to so many internet communities.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 21, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

As it's been brought up, Minecraft is a BIG DEAL because it appeals to an extremely wide demographic.

Hint: This hasn't changed. Minecraft is not in danger of losing its loving customer base over a swear.

The problem is that Notch aired this out on loving Twitter instead of shutting up about it and maybe sending the Yogs guys an email saying "Hey, the swears weren't really appropriate for the setting" and waiting for them to respond saying "Ok, sorry about that, it won't happen again" so all this could've been handled in private like adults would.

FidgetyRat posted:

I can agree with this. If I dropped an f-bomb in a presentation at work, I'd probably be fired (or at least severely chastised) as well.

Have you ever witnessed someone say "gently caress" or "poo poo" in a professional setting? It's usually pretty hilarious and often because they're nervous, and what usually happens is that their boss takes them aside and goes "don't do that again".

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Yuki Akuma posted:

I'm not sure how you "hire" comedians* from Britain and not expect sarcasm.

*Closest job description I could think of that didn't take up an entire paragraph.

Yeah I don't understand how people can not be skeptical of Notch's interpretation of things based on the fact that he just doesn't have much of a sense of humor. The yogscast guys are extremely sarcastic and cynical (goons) and Notch is more the kind of guy who'd forward a lolcat to 50 people.

Plus he's getting mad that they wanted compensation? They got invited to speak at a huge conference by a guy who runs a company that makes way more money than they do, and they had to travel halfway across the world to be there. The yogscasts guys being at odds with the Minecraft community is actually high praise, though.

RossMan4Life posted:

Content:
Anyone know if Notch has talked about actually raising the height limit in the future? There was a "Notch said things" thread on the official forums a long time back, but I don't go there when I can help it.

He won't do it, but he consolidated the "height limit" bits in the code so it's much easier to change the value in a mod without having to alter a dozen different functions. There's a few mods that let you play around with the height limit value in the main Minecraft forums.

Kassoon posted:

Oh good it's on Reddit. Now a bunch of tangentially connected people can be called up and threatened with death and rape and justice will finally be served.

Sounds like the Yogscast are in for a bunch of redditor rape and death threats because of this. Twitter is a fantastic forum for childish accusations.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 22, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

I still can't believe that they haven't fixed the problem that block orientation matters at all

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Rack posted:

From Jeb's twitter, about an hour ago

This is a good start in the right direction.

It's pretty hilarious that "Adding wool regrowth to sheep" is just coming now, when they killed infinite animal spawns a long time ago. You'd think the two would go hand-in-hand.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Like perhaps a QA department, since the game is supposed to be no longer in beta and the general public shouldn't be responsible for the bug-testing.

They should probably fix up the Billing Issues Department, which currently consists of an email account that Notch checks every few weeks when somebody makes a 1000-reply post on Reddit about how their payment went through but they didn't get an account.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 2, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

a starwar betamax posted:

So what new features is Jeb working on these days?

Have you heard about Cobalt? Let me tell you about Cobalt. Cobalt.

http://playcobalt.com/

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Fire posted:

Notch had to have done something right for you to care enough about the game to complain about it.

No one's saying that he didn't do anything right so go tuck that strawman away

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Should he just run a daily poll every time he adds a feature to check with the community if it's okay to patch yet, then? At what point does "No! Two months wasn't long enough, we need to see if there will be another buildcraft patch!" finally become "all right, you can add these features officially now."?

Maybe he could "accidentally" leave the code unobfuscated and give up the pretense that it means anything at this point.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

a starwar betamax posted:

Good job you got the joke.

On a side note, what do you fellow minecrafters think the odds are of Mojonge making a Minecraft II?

Depends on whether or not the collectible, PC card game that isn't Magic the Gathering becomes a huge success (lol).

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

babies havin rabies posted:

Once Minecraft sales level off 2-3 years from now Mojang's stated worth ethic will not be sustainable unless they manage to come up with another completely unique and novel game like Minecraft. Considering Scrolls and Cobalt, I don't think they have the ammo. By now they should have started on their next big thing already in order to keep up.

Right now the company is literally running the business model and work ethic of a 90s Dot Com firm. Notch will not care because he will leave with sacks of money and retire. Everybody else will be laid off, but I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing as any of them given the opportunity.

I'm sure the talented guys like Jens will end up leaving the company voluntarily and working for Valve or something. Notch may have a lot of money but I bet his employees don't, and who knows what'll happen once the Minecraft sales taper off.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The AngryScientist posted:

You know, it's kind of bigoted to assume that just because Notch is a dumbass rear end in a top hat, that means that he's autistic.

Given that Notch's failings really shine when it comes to basic social interactions, I'd say that it's a fairly apt appraisal though not a certified diagnosis.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

tinaun posted:

and said that writable books were "coming" but got stuck on GUI.

Awesome! Big props to Jeb for working on a feature everyone's been clamoring for since early alpha that Notch never bothered getting around to.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The enchanting stuff is just bizarre. The last thing I would've thought of when implementing leveling would be to just use it for enchanting items and that alone.

Being able to develop your character would be a lot more satisfying in addition to enchanting items.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

ryde posted:

That's covered by the technical debt comment.

But I always facepalm whenever he streams his coding, because there's always people fawning over how he "Get's things done fast," because he "Doesn't follow best practices." I mean, yes that's great if you're going to launch a prototype or some other throwaway system, but if you expect to grow your software product over several years then you need to get the fundamentals right. But I'll stop there before I get deeper into a programmer rant.

A large number of people consider Notch as some sort of technical and design genius because of Minecraft.

I mean I guess that's one aspect but then there's the fact that he hired a bunch of staff and immediately put them to work on another game.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Multi-million dollar international company crowd-sourcing language translations and not independently verifying them, folks. Hell, they didn't even SELECT all the languages in that release.

You get what you pay for.

I was laughing at first because, of course, the Minecraft community was spergy enough to submit a Canadian English translation in a game with 20 lines of text (uh, not counting the "ending").

But now... this is even better. I know developing games is really, really hard and all but not checking stuff like this is completely insane.

krushgroove posted:

This is not a multi-million dollar multinational company in the vein of IBM. It's still run as an 'indie' game company. Everyone complaining about the work processes and QA seem to forget that, no matter how much they charge for their finished product.

It's not run as an 'indie' company, it's run as a lovely one. There are tons of indie studios that make Mojang look like a bunch of clowns. Minecraft makes them a lot of money, but there's a lot of things they could be doing differently if they want to continue making money or make more money.

This just makes me feel bad for the guys who work on games like Recettear and SPAZ, run their businesses like professionals and have nothing but pleasant interactions with fans, that just weren't lucky enough to stumble upon a magical formula.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 27, 2012

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

krushgroove posted:

Too right - it makes no sense to run the company this way, yet it is - that's what I meant that at its heart it's still an independent (unprofessional) game development company.

That is completely unfair to the independent game development companies that have solid, professional reputations. You don't see this lack of professionalism from the developers of Dwarf Fortress (one guy, free game) or Dominions 3 (two people).

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

HardDisk posted:

Well, guys, there is a reason for :notch: being :notch:

Kind of funny how it was first made because of a hoax, but has since become legitimate.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

I think it's hilarious that that dude thinks hiring a "professional translator" doesn't just mean "contract with a company whose entire business is providing translations for every language under the sun" and that the sheer difficulty of tracking down 50 translators is why they have to crowd-source it.

I think it's less hilarious that Notch handed over every aspect of his multi-million dollar IP and primary source of income to one. single. person. Poor Jeb.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

They're really completely different games though. Isn't Cube World strictly a co-op RPG?

I don't care, the art direction in Cube World is something I wish Minecraft had. It looks beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

poemdexter posted:

Well look what we have here! It's python + pygame + py2exe! I wonder if I can break this down to source code and then sell it for 9.8k. :ninja:

Please do this, there's nothing I love better than a Minecrafter shitfit.