Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've been having a very odd problem: Minecraft runs like poo poo on my laptop (not odd). But when I press F3 to bring up the coordinates and whatnot, my FPS shoots way up. Does anybody have any idea why this happens, or how I can get Minecraft to run properly and still have access to my entire screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rack posted:

I've run into the same problem on my pc* from time to time and it does the same thing. I always assumed that the game shifting into neutral. On a menu, the player cant be moving to load/unload chunks. I'm saying this metaphorically, I dont know exactly what's going on under the hood.
Well I can still move, break blocks, pick things up, etc. I just can't see most of the screen because of the big memory graph in the way. But it makes the game run much more smoothly.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mentholmoose posted:

I broke my ankle a couple months back and had a lot of free time, so I built a baseball stadium. Here's a couple select images that I took:

And the whole album.
This is fantastic. Any estimates on how long it took?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm having a strange bug. I updated Minecraft, and now it crashes whenever I go to video settings. I deleted minecraft.exe, the entire minecraft app data folder, Optifine and MCPatcher, and downloaded a fresh .exe. I'm wondering if I missed something when I was trying to wipe stuff for a clean install. Searching for minecraft or mcpatcher doesn't turn anything else up. How do I get a totally clean install of Minecraft? I'm on Windows 7, 64 bit.

Edit: Looks like I had not, in fact, deleted the appdata folder. Trying again!

Edit 2: Fixed! I am An Moron.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 18, 2011

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm just wondering if something might be done to make mining more interesting. I'm thinking, since there's only so many blocks one can make and the development focus is on surface elements, that finding underground "surface" areas would be cool. Just being able to find big dome caves with trees, grass, etc. would be interesting, and make mining a lot more rewarding without having to add another kind of underground block or something. The big problem would be lighting: grass blocks die without light. I'm not really sure how to solve that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Odette posted:

Minecraft breeds new ways of being evil to the poor chickens. :(
I have a single pet chicken just chilling out in my mine, running around in my underground farm. I'll just be running around getting coal or whatever and sometimes I find presents! Egg presents! :3:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The following is a message of the I hate skeletons broadcast system.

I hate skeletons. I hate skeletons, I hate skeletons, I hate skeletons.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Minecraft discussion.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

drquasius posted:

Got knocked into lava, did you?
I've never been killed by a skeleton. I just hate them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've never understood the need to completely explore a system of caves. I just treat them like the overworld: go in when I need something, carve out a small area, torch it, then leave. It's just too big to try to be feasible.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Macaluso posted:

^^^ The best texture pack (I'm sorry Kas :( )
I tried out Sphax for a while and I really do prefer Painterly. It keeps the original Minecraft feel while improving the aesthetics. Plus: Bloopers!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bellend Sebastian posted:

aVo's videos are generally pretty funny, but Krysk has outdone himself for making new griefing tools this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3IUONiBd5E
The highways and cars were sacrificed for agriculture. Thought that we'd start over, but I guess I was wrong!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fayez Butts posted:

I feel like if he bumped down the texture resolution by half it'd fit better in the ~*~`minecraft universe`~*~ :gay:
I like the idea of the dragons being way more detailed than everything else. Makes them a bit more otherworldly and alien.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kas, you're the best. Around! Nothing's ever gonna keep you down.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Just think how great the writing for future Mojang games will be.
I hope the flavor text on all the cards in Scrolls is taken from this. Just write it real tiny on there.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Does the latest version of Painterly work for 1.0.0? It sounds like no new textures have been added between the prerelease and the official release.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think Minecraft's biggest flaw is that it has ending text, but not opening text. Doesn't such an epic journey require an epic introduction? I came up with a simple one that I think fits well.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

What the hell it's doing here, I don't know, and there's also no water connected directly to it, which makes things even weirder. I have since built a shrine around it complete with sign depicting its greatness. This game is still pretty neat sometimes!
I'm pretty sure sugar cane will grow within a few squares of water. And you see that waterfall in the back of your picture? There's your explanation.

But it's still pretty unlikely for it to have generated sugarcane underground at all. You go, little sugarcane! :3:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Do you like big caves?

Like, really big caves?

The seed is "Lemon of Pink." Like the last time I used this seed (back in 1.6 beta) it spawns you on the intersection between a jungle, a desert, and mountains. I found a perfect base with a supply of coal and tons of other resources really close to spawn, and it is absolutely riddled with awesome caves, ravines, and tunnels with huge open entrances that interconnect all around the continent. Go exploring! Wander into a tunnel and wander out on the other side of the continent with a few stacks of iron and coal!

It's a fantastic seed, with a nice balance between beginner-friendly areas with lots of supplies and tons of space to build, and awesome explorable landscapes. I recommend it!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Sharps posted:

Oh my god someone else uses songs by the books for seeds too. I feel like I've just seen a unicorn.
Album titles, actually. "The Way Out" never turned up anything interesting, but I played on "Lost and Safe" for a bit around 1.8.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ultra-hardcore mode should just replace all the water blocks in the game with lava blocks. No growing food, have to be super careful crossing the ocean, and good luck getting enough meat before all the animals get lava'd.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So how does mob spawning work now? I want to make that underwater nature preserve I never finished on my old seed. If I get grass to grow down there with sufficient light, will animals spawn? And if so, will it only be one type of animal? I would prefer not to have to lead a bunch of animals through an underwater tunnel or something.

Worst comes to worst, I'll just make it my undersea cat collection. :3: (Maybe I should just do that anyway. Just a big glass box under the ocean full of cats.)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've figured out a really simple solution to lighting glass structures: lava trapped behind glass. It's so obvious, I don't know why I didn't think of it before. The only disadvantage is that you're going to want to build everything vertically, since it makes the lava lighting more efficient, but that isn't really that much of a disadvantage since you should already be using glass to build big awesome towers.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Call it "Polygon's Travels."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I've been out of the internet for a good five months and minecraft for about a year. Any giant awesome new points i should know about?
You can get apples from destroying leaves on trees now. Otherwise I think things are pretty much the same.

Edit: And some minor bug fixes, I guess.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Though, I'm confused... 'Wooden tools work in furnaces' - what does this even mean?
You can burn wooden tools for fuel.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

How playable is the Android version of this?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I did mean Pocket Edition. Thanks!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What does the hunger system add to the game? What is it for? It doesn't seem like it really does much, and having to constantly be growing/hunting food is just busywork to distract from the more fun busywork of gathering building materials.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I just stick all my stuff in a chest and then leap off a cliff when my food meter runs out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I wish the Pocket Edition was moddable.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There are a lot of things I like about Minecraft but it's kind of a mess of half-finished ideas.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Enzer posted:

Unless you find combat particularly interesting, why not just play on Peaceful mode? You have a constant health regen as if you have a full hunger bar and your hunger never depletes. You can still die from falling off a cliff or into lava or by drowning,
Because I had no idea this was an option. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

Keep in mind that Peaceful closes off a number of things. No hostile mobs means no hostile mob drops, meaning no potion-making, no TNT, no taming wolves, no going to the End.
My plan is to switch it back on once I have the food situation sorted.