Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

flatluigi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9osaA68xMts

This is a really neat idea.

That is seriously one of the most awesome things I've seen in days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Vertigus posted:

They don't have to. Yeah I understand about protecting your trademark, but they don't have to sue over a card game taking a single word from their incredibly lengthy title since the possibility that they'd lose their trademark over it is 0. They made the choice to sue.

Now if he'd titled it "The Older Scroll: Torment", then they'd probably have to do it.

The thing is, they kinda do (or at least their lawyers are telling them they do), because judges are occasionally dumb. If a judge decides to boil the suit down to its most basic concepts, here's what he'll see - one product is a Computer Game called The Elder Scrolls, and the other is a Computer Game called Scrolls.

The fact that the gameplay styles are completely different and that no sane consumer of computer products will ever confuse the two doesn't matter; the judge could confuse the two, and that's kinda the important standard here. It doesn't matter that to you or I or probably anyone else posting here there is a world of difference between the two games; there's always the risk of running into that one judge who thinks that computers are like TVs you push buttons for and computer games are those things his grandkids are always talking about and why don't they get off his fuckin' lawn.

The reason Bethesda has to sue is that if they don't, then later on down the line when I produce my magnum opus "The Really Old Scrolls 7," Bethesda will want to sue me... and if they get one of the aforementioned Moron Judges who think a category as broad as "computer game" has any meaning, then my lawyers can turn around and claim that by not suing Mojang, Bethesda has failed to actively defend their trademark and thus forfeited its protections.

It's stupid, but it's how the legal system works. A company has to actively defend their trademarks. Now, a company can say "eh, no need to sue" if they decide that the infringement is inconsequential... but my bet is that Bethesda's Legal Department would like to have a broad body of work to point at to continue justifying their salaries.

It's a stupid argument anyways, really, because what'll happen is that Mojang's "Scrolls" will get a new name that doesn't suck and then poof! Done! No more lawsuit, better name, everyone is happy.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Reveilled posted:

Can you provide an exmaple of this happening? It may very well be my own ignorance, but the only examples I can think of this happening is where a trademark became generecised into a noun or verb for everything of that type. I can't think of any situation where a trademark was lost because the owner didn't pursue another company who had a trademark that shared a single word of the first company's trademark.

I mean, are the owners of the film franchise Step Up in danger of losing their trademark because they didn't sue Pixar for Up?

No, I can't. I'm not a trademark lawyer, sadly, and so don't have the resources needed to pull up specific details or cases.

That said, I do have access to Wikipedia, and so - keeping in mind the occasionally dodgy reliability of Wikipedia - I could direct you to the appropriate article on Trademark Dilution and other associated concepts.

I mean, it's a real stretch for Bethesda's Legal department to say "yeah, we gotta sue," no one's arguing that... but the way trademark law is set up - one of the great legal clusterfucks - means that lawyers are encouraged to make those stretches and file those suits, because the risks of not doing so are, to the company, greater.

Keep in mind that "The Elder Scrolls" isn't just a string of words; legally, it's intellectual property. When Bethesda goes to investors and says "you should give us money," one of the arguments they can use in support of that statement is "our intellectual property portfolio includes The Elder Scrolls, one of the most recognizable series of computer adventure games in history," which is a debatable statement - I mean, Bethesda will talk up how recognizable it is, for obvious reasons - but if there's even a chance that that trademark is going to be threatened, those investors are then more likely to say "no thanks, we don't think you're worth the money." And Bethesda's going to care a lot more about the opinions of a small number of venture capitalists than they'll ever care about Minecraft fans.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

poemdexter posted:

Pretty much this. Modders don't realize if they actually listened and were super helpful to their userbase instead of forcing them to jump through hoops and telling them to gently caress off when they needed help, they'd make much more in donations than anything ad.fly could offer.

This is coming from someone who made over a hundred bucks modding a server and I didn't even ask for money.

To be fair, the notion of the "gift economy" - which in many ways is what a good modding scene has, where you put a product out there and let the people who like it give you whatever they feel like you deserve - is still a pretty new one, in economic terms.

Too many people still have the notion in their heads that if you want to make any money there need to be fees up front or else it won't work. Though, to be fair again, part of that stems from thinking "I don't trust my audience to actually show some drat support for my work because they're all greedy, entitled assholes" and frankly looking at the Minecraft fan community would make it awfully easy to fall into that line of thought, so...

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Bellend Sebastian posted:

So somewhere between 9pm-11:30pm GMT? I don't know my US timezones.

http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

quote:

01:00:00 p.m. Friday November 18, 2011 in US/Pacific converts to
09:00:00 p.m. Friday November 18, 2011 in GMT

So, yes.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I agree.

Especially in the snow. I went and hunted out the biggest snow biome I could find just for this project. Snow as far as the eye can see and then some in every direction, and in the middle, a little domed Eden.

64 blocks in diameter. I demolished a beach for it. And thank god for plotz.

...it's the set for the last act of Watchmen. Bravo, sir.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I don't mind hunger, I just find the rate at which it decays to be ridiculous. Give it a slower base decay and then increase the rate of decay while you're engaged in strenuous activity (sprinting, frex) and I think it'd be just fine.

As it stands, though, it's "create world, have a look around, find a nice place to build OH gently caress I'M STARVING," which is dumb.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I am beginning to suspect that I have a problem.

Clay used to be really rare, so I got into the habit of grabbing it ASAP whenever I came across any. Now I can't not dig out clay. I see it and some part of my brain goes 'Oh, clay! Clay is rare, I need to grab it before I forget where it is!' and suddenly my inventory is full.

I have no plans for bricks. I don't know what I'm gonna do with them. They just sit there in my crafting room chest gathering dust. But I have to have them because I went and Pavlov-ed myself.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

See, this only reinforces my findings that there is an easy way to tell Minecraft players from the general population.

Most people: "Wow, what a cool-looking mountain."

Minecraft players: "Wow, what a cool-looking mountain. Welp, time to blow it up and use the pieces to build a castle."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

^^^^ Doesn't work like that. Attempting to enter a broken/missing chunk will massively bug a player out and probably kill them.

Use admin juju to turn the edge of all the bordering chunks into bedrock, then build a giant bedrock barrier-border up to the skybox. Let it be the Impenetrable Tower Of Don't gently caress With Chunk Errors.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Having this on record might be the whole point of the lawsuit anyway.

This is it.

See, the thing about trademarks is that, unlike copyright, you have to defend them. If you write something it's copyrighted, whether you do a drat thing about it or not; if someone infringes your copyright and you don't find out about it for ten years, you can still sue for copyright infringement. Trademarks work differently; when you register a trademark you have to aggressively look for any infringement - even bullshit "it isn't really infringement" like this - and try to smack it down ASAP. If you don't, then you can actually lose your trademark protection.

It's the same reason Bethesda went after Mojang for Scrolls. No one with half a brain, not even Bethesda, thought that Mojang's 'Scrolls' was at all confusing for people who want to buy Bethesda's 'The Elder Scrolls' games. If Bethesda hadn't gone after Mojang, though, then later on down the road if some other company (we'll call them Hypothetical Example Software) put out a game that did infringe on the Elder Scrolls trademark (called, I don't know, Obliviate: The Ancient Scrolls V or something), and Bethesda took them to court, there is the chance - maybe not a huge chance but a chance - that the Hypothetical lawyers could say "Look, Bethesda didn't go after Mojang, so they haven't been making an effort to protect their trademark. Accordingly, we believe it to be an abandoned mark" and a judge could agree with them, depending on how pissy and/or anal-retentive that particular judge is.

Five'll get you ten that the entire point of this exercise is not "mess with Mojang;" it's "get this letter on record so that if and when we have to go to court and actually mean it, we can prove we have a pattern of aggressively protecting our trademark," which is even more important for a company like Putt-Putt, whose name has become a generic term for Miniature Golf in some parts of the world already.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

The Bramble posted:

What should I type into Pandora when I just want to chill out, play Minecraft, and build a castle or something.

Depending on the type of castle you want to build, answers could range all the way to Gwar.

(Someone build a GWARCASTLE now please I want to see it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Honeydew posted:

This is probably the most intelligent vaguely Minecraft-related post I've ever read on the internet

Why thank you, I try.