Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I approve of this OP and I guess the thread title, but I really would have preferred the one about Notch being lazy and fat and it was all sarcastic and stuff.

...like half the posts in the thread are. :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Seizureman posted:

Ideas: Redstone camera and screen. Place camera and wire it to a screen to make a surveillance system, link screens to make a bigger screen. Then show live arena battles in a movie theater.

And why don't we implement the rest of the Garry's Mod Wiremod plugin while we're at it?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just saying that it doesn't make much sense to have high-powered circuit-based technology within the world of Minecraft that isn't :spergin:-made.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So I found a surface dungeon for the first time today, sticking partway out of a plateau looking thing. On my way over to it, I got murdered by some rear end in a top hat spider out to ruin my fun who kamikazed me off of the side of the cliff, which means I was unable to make a home in it. But it was pretty neat!

Koos Chup posted:

So in the newest update, there's going to be an enemy that forces the player to avoid looking at them, or fix their gaze on them for a long time. It almost seems like the difficulty autistic people have with eye contact being too averting or too rigid. Of course, since Minecraft is Not About Autism, the enemy's true artistic purpose will forever remain a mystery.

Thank you for your sage knowledge, Stupid Newbie. I will forever be in debt and eagerly await your final "lol u kids mad" before you get probated.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SeXReX posted:

also this.

Creepy sperglord children are the reason we can't have anything nice. Nothing can describe my hatred for this person. Notch's lost foster daughter is the embodiment of the reason this world sucks and living on it is killing me slower than old age.

"Someday Notch will adopt me and we'll be a big happy family! They usually don't let me have compy time here in the asylum so I have to get this out there while I can!"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Vib Rib posted:

Frantic pork in the middle of a battle was a terrible mechanic and the idea that anyone would now retroactively defend it is ludicrous.

I also think it's a little premature to complain about the precise effects these rebalances will have on the game given that it's not playable yet. Some of these things we'll just have to wait and see exactly how they turned out.

Your avatar/title make it incredibly hard to take this particular post of yours seriously.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zorak posted:

It's not like he's removing a feature or something. Your computer just sucks.

That's kind of his point? He has an effective use of the feature because his computer sucks, and I'm not trying to preach that he should keep the button because this and this and white knighting blah blah or anything, but calling the guy's playstyle stupid because he does something you don't just makes you look like a jerk. Now instead of being able to do it on the fly he'll have to do it manually from the pause menu, which slows down his gameplay considerably if he decides to keep using the method after it's been obsoleted.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 2, 2011

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cygni posted:

I've hated it from the start, and I really hope they keep to their original plan of it being disableable.

Even if they don't keep the original plan, there will DEFINITELY be a mod to disable it. That's why I don't complain that much about new features anymore: I realized that if Notch implements a feature or mob that you don't like, chances are someone who can mod properly doesn't like it either.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IUG posted:

What the hell are you playing this game for then? You don't like the enemies, the gameplay setup, or the core of the gameplay (it's even in the name). What are you playing this game for then?

There is no way to take the tone out of that sentence for some reason, but I'm genuinely curious.

He seems like he would enjoy creative mode more than survival to me despite it not having monsters/health or whatever he was complaining about, which is good because it's coming back in the next update anyway!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fishylungs posted:

I think the most amusing part of the coming update is that, even though they don't do anything, no one has complained about the XP orbs. Even though they don't do anything.

Read this as: "Planned features? What are those?!"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is... Is there a problem with my internet? Everything works perfectly fine except for connecting to Minecraft.net. Every time I have launched the game for WEEKS now it won't connect and I have to play offline with "Unlicensed Copy" and be accused of being a pirate every time I post an image. :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You are the best, forebodingburger. I looked in my exceptions list and Java/Minecraft didn't have one so I added them and now it connects! :)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

So I spawned in the middle of an island and figured that it would eventually have to lead to land.

I was wrong.

This game is still loving awesome after all these months. :swoon:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Not a Twat posted:

Wow! Can you tell us the seed? (I think you can see it by pressing F3) I'd like to play this

There you go, right from the spawn island. Enjoy! :)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Logtar posted:

I am so jealous, sir.

You think HE'S lucky? I'm stuck here on a single core Pentium 4 processor and an ATI Radeon 4650, and I get absolutely flawless FPS. The only lag I have ever really gotten while playing MC is during massive TNT explosions or changing the fog level. I am truly the luckiest Minecrafter on Earth. Then again, maybe not, considering Minecraft is really the only "modern-made" game I can really play without playing a Powerpoint Slideshow version of said game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hadlock posted:

Google "kimichi vegetable diode"

I did, but I only got results for "kimchi vegetable diode"! :downsrim:

Side note: I want to make an adventure map. What do the people of SA like to see most? Jumping puzzles? Lock mechanisms? Redstone circuit/minecarts? Portals? Map-based traveling?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I didn't know that spiderwebs slowed you to a crawl until I was backpedaling blindly away from a cave spider and ran into one after breaking my sword! What a fun (and not pants-shittingly horrible) experience that was!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Notch's "let's add a whole bunch of random poo poo and then fix the bugs with it and the rest of the game later it'll work out fine!" complex is really getting annoying to have to put up with.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Save the chickens! Rescue the poultry! Petition to Notch! Farms are inhumane and ruin the Minecrafting experience! :qq: :qq: :qq:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It was probably cave ambiance.

...Probably. :tinfoil:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Internet Kraken posted:

So what exactly are the villagers supposed to be? They look nothing like the other human models. It's quite bizarre.

This has already been discussed, they are a strange mix of Bert and Squidward.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

UnCO3 posted:

Light it with giant torches and THEN I'll be impressed! :haw:

(But seriously holy poo poo that's awesome)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Arkitektbmw posted:

:qq: ensues

What's funny is that your point is completely null because Bethesda's developing studio is not in charge of the law-based portion of their company, and therefore the Bethesda everyone knows and loves has no part in this and they in fact find the lawsuit pointless, but they can't do much to stop it now that Mojang has made it known, paraded it around, joked about it like it was no big deal, and then agreed to take it to court! It's really funny how nobody seems to know this (read: annoying)! And as well, Bethesda's law office has no case because "Scrolls" is not "The Elder Scrolls" and as long as Mojang acknowledges that TES is a thing that exists and they respect the right to not steal any of their poo poo, Mojang will likely come out of this lawsuit with an undeserving sense of pride!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 28, 2011

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bicehunter posted:

So, what you are saying is that it isn't the programmers suing, it is the lawyers? Wow, great insight.

And yet somehow everyone un-ironically and non-sarcastically ignores it and blames the whole company! I'm not defending Bethesda's lawyers TOO hard because I mean, it's still a really dumb thing to sue over, but still, both sides have terrible points and the lawsuit makes no sense in the first place, and Mojang parading it around just makes it worse.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Schweinhund posted:

And why would you assume everyone "knows and loves" Bethesda, and why is that relevant anyway. I don't know them or give a drat about them. I just know it's a pointless and frivolous lawsuit.

And it's hilarious how you seem to be implying that Bethesda is doing Mojang a favor by suing them because they'll have "a sense of pride".

You apparently did not read the word 'undeserving'! Nobody is doing anyone any favors because, like I said,

quote:

both sides have terrible points and the lawsuit makes no sense in the first place.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The problem with redstone is that, while it works as a true-to-coding current system (for the most part) with inputs and outputs, each redstone ash pile takes up a block's worth of space, as do redstone torches. There's no way to make contraptions anything but 'huge and poorly disguised' because redstone just takes up too much drat space and micromanaging to be worth it for building design purposes.

EDIT: Dammit Vinigre you beat me to it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FPzero posted:

Didn't see anyone reply to this but I thought it was neat.

That actually sounds like it would be a pretty cool premise for a brand new server. It would probably be best if there was a starting village with chests of supplies for people to buy/take. Maybe give everyone a number of something as currency, possibly gold nuggets, make them buy their supplies. Any gold nuggets they retain along the trail can be used as they reach new settlements. Eventually they would reach Oregon and maybe be scored somehow? Or maybe there doesn't need to be a win condition, just the fun they had getting there.

It'd be pretty neat until some rear end in a top hat decided to join the whitelist, end up at spawn, and just go off in a random direction, thus loving up the whole neat looking map. Even private servers are susceptible to this sort of thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Tried out that map, the main problem I found is that if you place something on the bottom "row" of blocks on the island, you will under no circumstances be able to recover it. Blocks mined below your feet rarely if ever pop up high enough for you to collect them, so you have to be very careful where you place things. I lost most of my dirt before I remembered this. Other than that, it's a pretty neat challenge!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think one of the problems with the game so far is that Notch (and Jeb I guess) seem to be having a hard time deciding what they want to do next with it, so they just go with 'everything', which doesn't work out as well as they planned. I understand what they're going for in that they're trying to flesh the game out a little, but they're making ENDgame stuff and not NEWgame stuff.

For example, the enchantment table requires two diamond and several obsidian to create, which players are only able to obtain at the tail end of the "goal" part of Minecraft, that being to find Obsidian/Diamond and enter The Nether. As a sandbox game, you can do "whatever you want", sure, but the game has a set goal in that there is nothing else to do but sandbox related things once you move up the tool material trees and finally mine that obsidian. Another example is that they recently added Nether Structures, but again, you can't actually GET to The Nether until late-game.

I think they're going in the right direction with Strongholds and NPC villages, in that you can find them from basically the beginning of the "game" and they require only a little exploration to find, and not a long-winded recipe craft that you can only get once you've already done everything else survival-related.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In case this thread hasn't seen the lovely Cartoon Network Rip Off(tm) of Mad's parody of Minecraft yet...

Why would they do this? Do people actually think this is funny? Is there a single Minecraft fan out there that laughed at these tried and old jokes when they were on TV instead of YouTube? :qq:

The worst part is, the final joke in the skit is a "SSSSSSS boom ha ha creepers explode when you get near them this is comedy let's do it again for emphasis" joke. It's like the show not being funny is intentional because it's not even ironic mocking, it's just regular mocking.

What has Cartoon Network done to me :negative:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think the ORIGINAL parody is of Criminal Minds, and then they drag Minecraft into it as a "this is a current events thing that tweens like to play/watch videos of!" thing. I don't honestly see what's funny about it because all they really did with it is rehash old jokes and explain the mechanics of Minecraft. "Oop, Skeletons burn up in the sun! That is a thing that happens in the game and it is used here to be funny!" I guess that might be funny to someone who doesn't know what Minecraft is?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I dunno, maybe it's just because I don't appreciate Mad's humor. Possibly a combination of that and the fact that the jokes aren't that hard to spot beforehand if you know much about Minecraft.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

Design a great run down castle out of trees. Put it close to an ocean, and make sure there's a natural dungeon above it.

Underground castle made out of trees concealed by a dungeon near the ocean? Count me in.

Unrelated: Holy christ, it took me several weeks' worth of updates to notice that you don't spawn on sand anymore when you start a new world. :doh:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 21, 2011

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am tagging along with the "I use stone pickaxes whenever possible" train. I usually bring five or six of them with me on my mining/excavating trips along with an iron one in case I find any diamond or gold ores. As long as you bring wood and a crafting table down with you, stone pickaxes are basically a renewable resource.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MikeJF posted:

Creative players see the monsters and nighttime, they're just immune. What you were really asking for was a seperate map that's on peaceful mode (and possible also creative mode, depending on what you want). I can't answer that.

I'm pretty sure he was asking if there was a way to set some players to Survival while others are in Creative on the same map (and also remove the hostile mobs for the ones in Creative). A plugin to do that would be pretty neat but it doesn't exist as far as I know.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
kas, have I ever told you that you are the best and most dedicated person ever?

Because you are the best and most dedicated person ever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Exactly, and on that front Minecraft borrows concepts from earlier games including one Notch was paid to work on!

But it doesn't literally borrow art and assets now does it!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
God drat it, Mojang. What happened to the "code freeze" you guys spent like three weeks yammering on about? Adding an ending sure doesn't seem like 'no new content entirely bug fixes and optimization' to me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wanted the last line to read: "Haha, okay, just kidding, back to the game." And you go back to the spawn point. But, alas, indie design choices got in the way yet again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Archdeco posted:

IIRC he put an open request on his twitter for a "silly, meaningless, out-of-nowhere" chunk of text for when you beat the game. So yeah he's trolling and you're all falling for it quite well.

Stupid as it is, that's what you get when you try to apply narrative to the ultimate sandbox.

I don't read his Twitter so yeah I guess he totally trolled me by putting in an eight minute waste of time ending that makes no sense on purpose and only makes people mad at him into his own game that millions and millions (read: thousands) of people play!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Why does there even have to be an ending?

Better question. Why does that have to be the ending? We don't even get any loot or anything? Just enter the portal and hey look game's over you can go home now I am love you are love everything is in your head rofl so deep

My problem with the ending is that even though it is almost copy/pasted directly from another source, it has nothing to do with Minecraft at all. None of the game's themes even make sense when compared to the supposed "ending" text. It just doesn't work out. I really hope this isn't the way the 'retail' game will end, because that's pretty disappointing.