Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
If you use signs instead of ladders, you won't risk the chance of falling on the ladder and hurting yourself anyway. This makes 1-block water-breaks more viable, rather than the 2x2 you made. Efficiency! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Jeb last tweeted that the estimated date is Sept 8th.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
I'm pretty sure that's just a close up of sand, like the edge of a block he's standing next to.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
This is a trick to get 1.8 pre-release terraingen working with old maps. I imagine this won't be necessary for the official release.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
So I tried using this to find slimes in my world, except it doesn't seem to work for me - it doesn't give me the map. Does it work for anyone else? If not, does anybody know of a similar thing that I can use?

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

GreatKesh posted:

Make sure you put something in the coordinate boundaries area.

I do! That's the problem. I put in my seed, my coordinates, and then it just says "Slime Map" rather than giving me an image.

Edit: my seed is -2013027974 and my coordinate boundaries are x -400 to -300 and z 220 to 320.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 13, 2011

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
The last one is only if you install mods.

Otherwise, redstone circuits enable you to set up combination locks, order-sensitive locks, etc. Just go to youtube and look for something that sparks your interest.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Vib Rib posted:

This is nice, but I wish the cameraman hadn't been the one who spends like ten solid minutes just chopping trees down before doing anything.
Also, for a race, they sure seem to be taking their time. Why they have the preoccupation with wood when diamond blocks are scattered for the taking is beyond me, and while I can understand not being able to cheat (e.g. riding the waterfall down past the mob-spawning hollow at the end to get to the wool) they sure seemed to be putting some things off.

All members of the teams (should) have videos of their own pov: check the description of the video for each person's channel. If one cameraman bores you, try another!

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Vib Rib posted:

The guy has a chance to make a huge difference for everyone playing, get recognition among millions, and even make money off it.
And he turns it down because it's not enough.

I'm just imagining this dude as Dr. Evil now.

"I will sell you the code for a hundred million dollars!"

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
So I just covered an entire town in the mushroom spore dirt blocks, under the impression that monsters would not spawn on them. However, waiting out the night and wandering around town, there were still monsters spawning on the sporedirt. Did it get changed for 1.0?

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
In my opinion, pigs are basically obsolete now. With both cows and chickens providing meat in addition to their usual items, that heal equal (chicken) or better (steak) than porkchops, I hardly bother with breeding them.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Penguingo posted:

If it's long grass, you can collect it with shears! Then you can plant it again. Totally pointless, really.

You can also just use bonemeal on normal grass and it will sprout long grass (and a flower or two, sometimes).

Edit: Derp, didn't see the post above that says literally the same thing. More content:

I generally don't mind the hunger bar. I don't play on hard, and on normal the decay is at a pretty decent rate - enough that you have to mind it sometimes, but not so much that you can't manage it without a massive farm. It allows me to make tinier, personal farms, which are more aesthetically pleasing for me anyway :3:

Wahad fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 8, 2011

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Many servers use Bukkit to either utilize a whitelist or a plugin to track who destroys what - this way, they can rollback if griefing happens and ban the person responsible. The servers in PGS are of all sorts, so take a look and see what you like!

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Zucchini and eggplant, respectively.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Also people like Etho, and Coestar, and other popular minecraft youtubers get a crazy amount of donations, to the point where they record the building of a hall-of-fame for said donators.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

@Jeb posted:

In a cab with @notch, going to fly to Copenhagen to visit Lego world (tomorrow)!

I wonder if Notch is going to get inspiration for Minecraft World(tm).

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

This is hardcore, not only will we have to worry about monsters, but also about our hunger bar, because starving will actually kill you.
Now watch me perma-sprint and bunnyhop around while looking for a mountain for some cobblestone instead of digging 2 blocks down.

:stare:

This guy is running on MinecraftChick-levels of incompetence.

On the other hand, there's this guy, who narrates the whole thing in a Bear Grylls parody, which serves to make his video probably the best out of all of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ie5ny4ZiXs

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Cbouncerrun posted:

So are they allowed to hunt down the other players and kill them?

Yes. But given that 2000x2000 is quite a large area, it's more a question of practicality than anything else.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
The mod itself is here. There's no forum for the series itself, though. They may have something up on Reddit, but I'm not sure, since I don't go there.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
I personally watch Guude, BdoubleO, Beef and Pause occasionally. Baj, not listed up there, is also doing great in this series, but is otherwise a little meh. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuFDGT7pmKk

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Try Etho's EATS road. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5pXx97vEOY

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Yeah, the general update schedule has been once every two/three days.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Your golems will wander off.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

wyoming posted:

All the previous ones have been playable.

But none of the previous ones have completely reworked the game with an experimental version of how things are going to work now.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Wandering Knitter posted:

I got an odd question. I'm fixing up a desert town and turning the buildings into colorful tents because I hate the yellow on yellow on yellow look. But I can't figure out what would make a good 'path' around the town. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

I'm a fan of 'reclined' roads where it's stairs at the side plus a half-block (or two, or three) in the middle. If you're using a desert town, try clay bricks!

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Iacen posted:

You immediately made me think of one season of the Hardcore Minecraft. IIRC, one of the guys just peaked around a corner, and was shot dead to the single pixel he exposed. Skeletons should really be less effective.

Meanwhile, in one of VintageBeef's latest videos, he got shot by a skeleton like 5 times with each arrow bouncing off of him before he finally took some damage.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Magmarashi posted:

poo poo, son, get to digging!

What seed/release is this? I'd love to have such a nice place to start a project

Echoing this. That mountain is amazing.

Old Man Mozz posted:

I think the characters look cute... though there's something down-right unsettling about the whole thing, not sure why though

They...kind of look like Claptrap from Borderlands, to me.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Jamesman posted:

What's the best way to relocate villagers from one house to another house?

Being very, very patient with carts.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
It's even worse when you're playing on a server and despite the sign that right there says "These are not your cows, please do not kill" you keep logging on to find your cow-pen empty.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Jamesman posted:

I thought that was the whole point of multiplayer - To take from others so you don't have to go do all the work yourself.

Which reminds me, I should go look for a new vanilla server to play on one of these days.

Which is fine, but surely the common sense is to kill a few, so that the cows can be re-bred, rather than completely obliterating the pen.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
There's a (multiplayer) mod out there called Disguise or something that let's you go around as a mob. Or there was, at any rate - I'm not sure if it's up to date, seeing as how I don't know exactly what it's called.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Here's a story for y'all. I've been playing on this one server for a while, getting kinda back in the groove after a long-rear end break from Minecraft. With some ideas for a village after finding a really nice location, I started working. So up until like...an hour and a half ago, this was my progress. (Map render, so apologies for the lack of detail. It obviously looks better ingame)

Having buddied up to a few of the GM's, I asked one of them to voxel-sniper some unsightly floating clumps away. Unfortunately, he had been working on a big project before, so his brush size was still set to 200. So rather than cutting a few floating blocks away, he cut a hole in the server that encompassed my town and just about the entire mountain area it was in, leaving only the void.

It'll be rolled back eventually, once the technical admin gets on, but boy, that took the wind out of me for a moment.

EDIT; Guess I was wrong! I talked to said admin, he says he can't roll back the server because of the way voxelsniper does things. So everything is gone forever. Oh well.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 6, 2012

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
It's this thing, I think: Dynmap. Not just a map render, but an almost-realtime map of your server that shows people walking around and stuff.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Crossposting from the Nameless Vanilla server thread in PGS, here's a small mining town I just built over the last few days.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

fondue posted:

Snapshot 13w05a released, now with fixed lighting on stairs and layered snow (and bug fixes too).

Yes. Finally! Best update ever. :swoon:

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Fnoigy posted:

I was under the impression there was supposed to be witches living in them, but I've always found them empty.

They respawn very occasionally, I believe.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Can too much chickens in a farm make your game crash or corrupt your world? I've gotten to the point where I can't even hear individual chicken sounds anymore. Now it's just some kind of crackling sound out of my speaker.

Also, what's a good way to kill lots of chickens? I don't really need any feathers/meat anymore so I've been thinking about lava.

TNT in a puddle of water.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
So that it doesn't destroy any blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
So why is Minecraft Realms telling me I have an outdated version when I have 1.8.1? The Launcher's not telling me I have an update ready.