Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
If I walked into our QA department right now, I'd likely find people playing both WoW and Minecraft. Two games that famously need better QA. It is a wonderful irony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

I don't see why, apart from lazy programming, block/item IDs need to be such a limiting factor in the game (and modding). After all, Java is an Object-Oriented programming language. Using classes would tidy things up nicely, and using something like a linked list would get rid of the limited block ID problem.

But I suppose that's the way Notch programmed it from the start, and changing things like that this far into development can be a pain in the arse. Still, I hope that's what Jeb's working on doing, because adding in a mod API to the current mess would make things even more horrendous.

The way you design programs goes to poo poo for games. Especially when there is a ton of data like there is in Minecraft. I work with a game engine designed this year that does not allow virtual functions or regular c pointers to be used (the data must be as small as possible and mobile in memory). The big difference is in the API: we have a very good event and handle system that makes those things unnecessary.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

Yeah, why didn't he use a few of his 48 hours writing some typesetting and kerning stuff for one paragraph of text on one screen?

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

Enzer posted:

Now the Minecraft overhead cost right now is paying for Jeb who has also done around 90% of the coding work for the Pocket edition before handing it off to (what I believe is a two man group) that maintains that version which has only had 3 updates in the past 10 months, Jon who does AI coding but is now working on the Scrolls project and the Bukkit team (4 programers) to help work on the Moding API which I can only assume is a temporary position. I would put decent salary for people in their position to be around 37,000$ which would put them at just under 300,000$ in pay a year and even if you bump that figure up so total overhead is 500,000$ a year, that is only 6.25% of what they make in a month on PC version alone.

$37k is about what we pay interns, and I'm sure that they have much more employees/overhead than what you read about on blogs or whatever.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'd readily pay for DLC if it were as good as things like Thaumcraft 2, and if it was always available with the latest version and automatically installed/updated/worked online/etc.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

Tengames posted:

If they made the api, wouldnt they be able to add future content to the game using the api itself, and possibly make it easier? If they know all these updates are breaking mods, then why the gently caress are they still doing updates?

This is the completely sane solution that every decent game engine uses, so no they will not do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

It could be the result of an underlying bug that actually does need to be fixed for other reasons.