Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.

Nizox posted:

Hey this is a really really good OP!!!

Are there any mods that work like an adventure mode, in that, there is a point to the single player/survival portion? I feel like there would be a way to combine the survival aspect, with a roguelike, forcing you to build / find / complete tasks and eventually kill some boss or something.

I am not creative, so a goal, other than to build, would be great. And most mods i've played aren't very inspiring. I like the building, I just wish there was a reason.

EDIT: Maybe this belongs in the mod thread, but really, i'm hoping for a game mode that provides new challenges.

Yep, totally belongs in the mod thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'

Nolgthorn posted:

We have a small LAN multiplayer server in an apartment that loses Internet connectivity every so often. When the Internet goes down it would be great to be able to pass the time playing Minecraft, however Multiplayer is disabled entirely without an internet connection.

We use a local IP to connect to the server. Is there a way to tell Minecraft to let us play when the Internet isn't working?

Should be an offline mode option in the server config.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Iacen posted:

I hope this is the right thread for my question:

I have this server, which up until somewhere in July worked magnificently.
But it seems like a couple of chunks became corrupt or something. Whenever someone tries to modify the chunks by building or similar, the server becomes laggy, uses too much CPU and in the end shuts down. I have no idea how I can correct this.

Now I'm toying with the idea of starting from scratch. But is there a program or something that I can use to prevent a similar situation arising? Or is there a program that can remove a chunk and force Minecraft to regenerate it? MCEdit didn't seem to have that option.

This was in a magazine which notch hinted to in a hat picture he posted on twitter.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

glug posted:

I'm really confused by what you said, and how it was a response to the post you quoted, so I tried scanning that with a cell phone barcode reader and felt lonely and scared. What?

Sorry, what I meant was:

-Notch Posted a tweet with a link to an image of a hat on it.

-People found that the hat image contained (hidden) in it a name and issue to a magazine

-In the magazine on page 43 (The page before notch's interview) the whole page contained the image I posted.

-The image is about Minecraft as it has the stone background.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

buy a hotdog! posted:

I'm trying to set up a new server and for some reason I can't get any servers to run anymore, even though I've made several in the past. Making a simple vanilla server with minecraft_server.exe doesn't work because nothing happens when I open it. Running a minecraft_server.jar with a .bat file gives me this:

code:
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at net.minecraft.server.StatisticCollector.<clinit>(SourceFile:5)
        at net.minecraft.server.StatisticList.<clinit>(SourceFile:31)
        at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.main(MinecraftServer.java:489)
        at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.Main.main(Main.java:123)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.util.Properties$LineReader.readLine(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.Properties.load0(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.Properties.load(Unknown Source)
        at net.minecraft.server.StatisticStorage.<init>(SourceFile:17)
        at net.minecraft.server.StatisticStorage.<clinit>(SourceFile:8)
        ... 4 more
Press any key to continue . . .
I've tried re installing Java and tried both available versions (1.6 and 1.7). Both versions gave me the same results.

Just looks like it is having trouble reading the config file.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Sharay posted:

I would guess it will still gen the same valley, although with the new terrain features added in. Maybe there'll be a chasm in it, maybe there's a river. We'll have to wait and see.

Seeing as he has changed biomes (which changed the level gen before to cause places to be completely different it may just be changed and we have to search for the newest epic seed.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Feikken posted:

I just installed Yogbox and I keep getting killed by a creeper with a white face. How do I counter this guy?

The other types of creepers are pretty neat though.

Wrong thread?

Anyway, for some reason my minecraft has slowness down to 40fps, where it used to be 90, even with optifine installed... Same version of minecraft too

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Cephalocidal posted:

Snow on high-altitude blocks.

Or it could just be a snow biome.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Hadlock posted:

edit: this is a pretty drastic change in worldgen code; does anyone know if this will be compatible with existing maps? I'd love to have real oceans and continents added to the fringes of our existing map, without having to start all over.

This reminds me a bit of machu pichu, where the river winds around the mountain exactly like that (panorama here, nearly the same angle http://imgur.com/5VXhx)

Is all of that water at Y: 63/64? :smith: This just looks like a watery ravine (not that I mind).

If the scale of those islands/deep oceans are correct, it looks like we'll finally be getting proper island continents ala FF 6 style?

vs

Considering he has changed biome code it is very possible biomes on old maps may get messed up and be in all the wrong places (snow biome on top of a desert)

On top of that he has completely changed the base world gen so you will very likely get a very obvious looking cut off point between the new and old gen but it would still be compatible (new stuff would only generate in new chunks, with the new generation)

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah 1.8 has been leaked on 4chan, I would link it here but I am pretty sure it is against the rules.

(Also, I was beta tester for 1.8 but now that it has been leaked there is no point :( )

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I've seen the link to it myself (apparently it's hosted on minecraft.net on an unprotected link) but if it's still buggy like Jeb said I would think it's better to wait another few days. I've waited this long, anyway.

Yep it's buggy as hell, like furnace crashing the game/server.

And until today strongholds/villages/models were not working either!

Not that it is bad coding, everything has bugs, and it's still an unfinished game so I'm not complainin' or anything.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

wyoming posted:

First night I head outside when it starts getting light out, I noticed some smoke coming from above my cliffwall hovel. Turns out it was an Enderman, dying in the morning light. :(

He dropped something called an Ender Pearl, not sure if it has a use or not though.

Also the food thing is such a non-issue.

Has no use, it is a dud item like slimeballs used to be

Also, here's the info on strongholds: They only spawn once per world!

If you want to try a stronghold out, this is a world where I am currently in a stronghold: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7737298/New%20World.rar

Also, silverfish.

Also, here's the link to the server: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_8-pre/minecraft_server.jar

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Wait, seriously? Is this a bug or intentional, because that seems really limiting.

Intentional, at least in the code.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Furnaces are a known crash, and on top of the bug list!

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

You can collect vines with shears.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

New command buttons:

F6 F7

M N

H Y

I J

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Snow and Giant Mushrooms do not generate.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Vinigre posted:

What do they do? I tried using them in-game and nothing happened that I could observe.

F6 and F7 only are noticable above ground, the others should change your view.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

crazylakerfan posted:

How has no one mentioned the new splash screen?

It shows an awesome looking world

Simply a few images strung together

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

^^^^ get dropped by endermen, currently a dud item.

Macaluso posted:

HELL YES I WAS

On my friends' mutliplayer server, they won't let me /give myself stuff (I have the ability to) and they get their panties in a wad over it becuase they consider it cheating or whatever. I just want to build things to show off. Anyway, it's always annoying running around looking for sheep to get wool, but having them be bunched up in groups of 3 or 4 and rarely around the world while my cup runneth over with cows. Fuckin' cows.

EDIT: What's the max terrain height now?

Still 128

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Minarchist posted:

Does anyone know how to sprint, or is that not included yet?

double tap W

Also in creative double space to fly.

Abandoned mines are insanely common and they are HUGE.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Not a Twat posted:

Does Mushroom Stew do anything?

I crafted some and it didn't seem like I could use it at all for anything.

it's food.

Also, Endermen have jaws that they open when aggresive. Scary!

hogofwar fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 9, 2011

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

You can kill any animal with a stone sword in one hit if you get a critical, so that'll save on time and weapon durability (because 2 cobblestone is a high price to pay).

I haven't run across any roses yet, which is strange.
Nor any clay, but that always seems to be the first casualty of altered worldgen.

There is tons of clay in diamond shape in shallow bits of water in oceans, so much it's not even funny.

Try looking in swamps too.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Nooooo :(

edit: by the way the fog and fog toggle thing. Is that different than the view distance? Like is there actual fog in some places now?

Same as view distance, but there is a different type of fog now (the deeper you go, more fog)

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Mammal Sauce posted:

Are there any 1.8 texture packs at all yet?

Also I might be imagining things but mob AI seems a lot less dumb in this update.

SMP's texture pack has been updated to 1.8

The only problems are a bug of endermen and spiders being mostly white, this problem is related to them having a seperate eye skin.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

I haven't seen anyone find a stronghold legitly yet :P

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Fayez Butts posted:

Dang, it totally looks like ruins, cracked stone blocks and mossy stone blocks are definitely not in this update. I had completely forgot about them in the first place but so far I can't find anything else Mojang have actively shown us then removed.

They are but they only spawn in strongholds which are supremely rare (1 per world)

I have linked to a world with a stronghold in it in one of my earlier posts

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

You can make giant mushrooms by using bonmeal on normal ones.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Furnaces only crash when the world is "null" which can happen randomly.

Also, this is directed at the yogscast:

I have a map with a stronghold in it and you can easily transfer this onto the server and make a video about strongholds if needed:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7737298/New%20World.rar

If it's on the server you probably won't spawn in the right place, so the coords are X: 78.9 Y: 33.6 Z: 82.4

(just dig down, and you should find it)

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Notgothic posted:

I remember reading somewhere in the last few pages that snow is definitely currently not working for anyone, hopefully this will be fixed by Monday.

You are correct snow does not generate with the new biomes.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Obama 2012 posted:

When my server updates to 1.8, the new geographical features will pop up in heretofore unexplored regions, no?

We've had a policy of not exploring too far from home base to leave room for new terrain types with each update.

I think right now when updating from old worlds, new gen buildings are set to not generate, though I am not too sure.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Open up a gui such as the inventory and tab out.

In other news I am trying to generate another stronghold so I can have a proper map for it.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

fondue posted:

Regarding Silverfish and Strongholds - in the Yogscast they got a silverfish by destroying a block in a NPC village, so there you go.

that they placed themselves with block id 97 == silverfish blocks...

In other news (directed at Yogscast yet again!)

Here is a MUCH better world for a stronghold:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7737298/StrongholdWorld.zip

It includes a torch lit partially cobble path/steps to the water entrance of the stronghold (signified with a big "noob" tower with red wool on top with a ladder and a few steps into the heart of the stronghold (which is unexplored). Please note that I made the path, noob tower and steps/ladder down into the stronghold, it is not automatically generated.

This is a 10x better world to use for stronghold exploring.

The path is for multiplayer gamers. I fyou are playing singleplayer you SHOULD spawn right next to the ladder/steps going down into the stronghold or in the stronghold itself

Oh and looking at endermen on the server does not work. Just an FYI.

hogofwar fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 10, 2011

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Joda posted:

Wow, I didn't even know this kind of structures were in this update. Is there supposed to be loot and such scattered around bc as is, it would seem kinda pointless to explore something this big and confusing. (Even if there is something in the middle or as a reward for exploring all of it, it's way too big to keep players motivated without giving some rewards underway)

There isn't much inside it except for a few chests, blocks you can't get anywhere else and looking at stuff :D

There is currently no big reward but there are/were plans to add a boss monster to a stronghold which isn't with 1.8 which may be part of the reason strongholds are so rare.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Huh, but I just opened up the stronghold zip someone posted up there and they're both definitely in the game. Something odd's going on there.

Speaking of the stronghold, what special rooms are there in there? I'm pretty lost. So far I've seen the library.

Yeah, quite a few items are missing from the creative list, mostly ones that use meta (stone/mossy/cracked bricks) and others such as dyes and different leaves.

Rooms? Stairs, jails, librarys, a room with a ladder in with a chest on top and so on.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

glug posted:

*sigh* something else I'm not getting.
I had no food, starved, and lost health real fast until I cooked and ate some pork chops.

Now I'm at 8/10 hunger, and have been for much of a game day, but I'm still at half a heart. Hunger not going down, health not going up. Is there something else I'm supposed to do?

Full hunger bar makes you heal health, or just eat more food. Not sure of all the things that make the hunger bar go down though

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Joda posted:

I just noticed something: If you use custom arguments or you launch Minecraft through a Java console you have a console output. In that console, the very last thing it says when you generate a new world is "Placed stronghold in [biome] biome at (x,z)". Should make it at least somewhat trivial to find strongholds. Hope it hasn't been mentioned yet and I somehow missed it.

EDIT: Did some experimentation, and apparently it only does it whenever the stronghold is generated in a chunk.

It says "invalid" right instead of "biome"? It's hard coded to say invalid, and this is only outputted when a stronghold is genned in an ocean.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXjW2nn_m-0

Nice exploration :D

Also, that "Hatch" was made by me, as well as the hole through bedrock (which I made to kill myself to return to spawn to build the road)

I originally found the stronghold in another place, and when I found a central area I dug up and placed brick to make stairs to make a better entrance.

Also, you are free to post the link to the stronghold world if you so wish, I have no problems with it :P

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Lycus posted:

Whoa, what's up with the silverfish "nest", or whatever you'd call it, in the Strongholds Yogscast video? Is that an intended feature?

Okay here's the lowdown:

You spawn a silverfish from breaking a silverfish pregenned block.

When the silverfish is attacking you it can call up silverfish from closeby silverfish blocks, when they spawn they destroy the blocks they were in

When you are away from silverfish and they are not attacking you they can infect a block to turn it into a new silverfish block for the cycle to continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

Infect a block as in they make the block itself a new Silverfish, or they just "hide" in it?

If it's the former that seems like a hilarious, griefy thing to do on a SMP server. When it's quiet you just go and infect a town with silverfish.

They change the block and remove themself. Aka they just hide their current self in the block, not make new silverfish.