Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

I'm REALLY looking forward to 1.8 now. Love all the footage I've seen. The new biomes are just. :allears:

Most encouraging thing I've seen? The enjoyment Notch/Jeb seem to get out of showing off 1.8. Even the most jaded Notch-haters out there can't deny the amount of personal investment those two have in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Oh delicious. A swamp that looks like a swamp.

Seriously, what's the second thing?

Unless I'm looking waaaaaaay to hard I think it's quicksand. Lookc right next to the chest and you can see a different textured sand.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Those are already in the game.

If you mean the stuff all the way on the right, I think that's just dirt.

Look just to the left of the chest. The block right next to it in fact.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Retro42 posted:

Look just to the left of the chest. The block right next to it in fact.

Edit: Nevermind. I think that is a block of sand in his hand actually.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

My first world of 1.8pre.

Me alone on a tiny island in the middle of the ocean. No trees. No food.

I love it.

Edit: Is is it just me or are oceans sooooo much better now. The one I'm surrounded by is easily deeper than any body of water before now. Add in some Ocean life via mods and I'll be building underwater cities everywhere.

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 10, 2011

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I was thinking about this. Some sort of Deep Sea angler would do nicely...2 x 2 x 2 square body, big maw, glowing angler. Or Half-Life's Ichthyosaur.

I had a similar thought while traveling my archipelago. Some sort of glowy/giant monsters of the deep would make ocean travel sooo drat cool.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

A Sassy Dog posted:

I was actually going to say this, myself. They seem to be going through a lot of trouble to release these "pre-release" builds of a game that's already in beta. Notch is pretty bad with announced release dates and apparently Jeb doesn't get along with them well, either - though this is sort of a problem stemming from them not giving themselves enough time..

In any case, a setup where they had nightly, unstable builds up for download and a loose goal for stable releases would keep them from overthinking what is suitable or not for release/"pre-release" and give them a point at which they should try and get all the bugs out that they can before working on new features. This would, imo, undoubtedly lead to completely unplayable Minecraft for a night once every few weeks, but that's what nightly builds do. A few people who tested Minefield in the past may be able to attest to this.

I thought I'd seen Notch post somewhere about wanting to set up nightly/testing builds after this release cycle.

As for the "leak": Smart on them I think. The amount of people playing this build is STILL larger than the average exposure from most other indie beta releases. Try as we'd like to throw the whole "still in beta" line at them there are ~3 MILLION people playing this game now. That is just too many to handle with a typically buggy beta build.

Edit: That and Mojangs' accountant probably wept at the server costs from all the bugfixes last major release.

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 12, 2011

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Genned a new world in 1.8. Spawn is at the halfway point up a giant pine tree. In the middle of a forest. Gonna see how long I can survive up here without touching the ground.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

I love that floating island! I made a smaller version on a buddies multipleyer server once. We even had it hooked up to the regional rail line.

Of course it kinda....disappeared when my cloaked orbital bombardment station hiding in it's shadowed underbelly suffered a mis-fire.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

1.9pre3 is live.

http://t.co/dt3IlVp6

Edit: It's back.

Changlog according to Jeb:
simplified potion system
added some new items
enchantment table (wip)
babies

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 6, 2011

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Is this new? It's actually bigger than this too, just didn't feel like capping the whole thing.. A giant naturally occuring lava lake. So drat cool.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Biggus Dickus posted:

Notch just tweeted this video about the Black Stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q92TPOaqqA0

Is it just me or is it just a sprite layer positioned in the middle of a block? Possibly a new portal type?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

blastron posted:

The torch/cobble method of marking caves is the best method. Always place torches along one side of the wall. If you hit a branch, place a torch in the middle of the floor along each branch. When you're done exploring a branch, remove the marking torch and put it on the wall. If there was something interesting down the way, dig out the block the torch was on, replace it with cobble, and put the torch back. Exception: If you're in a large cavern, place torches on the floor wherever you need, but make sure that any wall torches are consistent such that if you keep wall torches on your right, you'll get out eventually.

Don't have to carry extra materials around, and it promotes actually lighting up your mines.

I use a similar method. Only I dig a channel down the middle of my path and layer it back down in cobble/wood/etc. Wood is the main tunnel back to the surface, cobble is tunnel in progess, dirt is danger. I then use torches on that to mark directions(3 torches in a v is all you need). Any promising branch is walled off and torched until I explore them. I also have a tendency to smooth out tunnels for visual effect(Makes for a clean, organized, and industrialized tunnel network.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

I can't help but think alot of this "situation" is just the standard "Performer fucks up and event coord apologizes" poo poo. Yogs pissed off some people. Notch has to fix it because it's his event.

That said, I'm willing to bet the entire thing is an absolute mess of blown proportions and angry internet spergs.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

The Leif posted:

Yeah. Shame really, made some earlier for family movie time, was gone before I saw this news.

We all know how this will play out. Notch will make a big tumblr regarding IGN and other sponsors flipping out over the language. From there it'll be spun as damage control. Yogs will youtube a response saying how it's not their fault for just doing what they do. Cue the internet spergs hopping the bandwagon to tear apart Notch for covering his companies rear end.

Maybe I will make more popcorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Jin Wicked posted:

http://mcupdate.tumblr.com/post/19734344120/minecraft-1-2-4

Well, that probably explains why my conversions continually crashed.

* Fixed TNT ghosts in multiplayer

Only took how long for this one?!

Still glad they finally (I hope) fixed it.