Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Disappointing Pie posted:

I've had issues for months now with FPS drop/lag on several different Minecraft versions and several different Java versions. I was told to post in this bug report.

https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-45458

And of course my work PC runs it perfectly.

I have no clue what the fucks happening.

I made a video of the lag I'm having, anyone ever seen anything like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0l8PDMqucg

Have you tried turning on Advanced OpenGL if the option is still there, I get that sort of jerky lag but when i turn on advanced openGL It goes away.
I have an NVidia 560gtx running 2 monitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
What i don't get is the way they have stopped the monetisation.

You can charge for access to a server,
but you cant allow someone to donate to get a specific set of extra resources

this allows hosting companies to charge $300 per month for a server yet not allow the person paying that money to get it back through donations unless they are offered freely.

You cant even accept donations then give them a "thank you for donating" kit...

If they were charging for access to a mod pack or certain items is that also breaking the EULA?

They are not charging for minecraft but for access to Tinkers Construct or Applied Energistics

They are mods not minecraft, or is Mojang now claiming that ALL mod packs are also theirs?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Its more like there are servers out there I used to frequent JAC Gaming where you could play as per normal but if you paid $5 you got some kits - Food, Tools, Armor, Sheep Spawner, Cow Spawner - pay $10 and you got access to an extra personal chest and more kits (tnt, machines, resources)

If you voted you got osmium, tnt, missile modules, diamonds.

Everyone has access to the same stuff just the person paying gets extras each week (with the exception of the spawners)

They also sell what are called God Swords which are diamond swords with the enchantments out of the ball park and unavailable to normal players.

So is this allowed or not?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
One thing i have noticed is that recently most worlds I have generated there are huge areas of Snow, Really annoying if you need a non cold environment to get blast furnaces working (Rotarycraft) or other temperature based stuff.

Last voltz world I saw it was snow and ice from 0,0 out to 3000x3000 -3000x-3000 with a small desert just beyond that followed by ocean in one direction and more snow in another.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I must admit i saw the improvement with Cauldron, My MCPC+ server killed 2 physical servers by running at 100% on all cores 24/7

Same world on Cauldron was running at 5% max total.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I would love to see a Minecraft where you load mods into the server and the client downloads and runs them based on the mods on the server so you dont need to have anything special, the mods are auto sent from the server at connect time...

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Kilroy posted:

You could just keep the block size as-is and do the interpolation you're talking about, and it would still look pretty good. And it would keep building simple, which would probably be a nightmare with small blocks like you're suggesting.

If they really want to distinguish a sequel they need a good physics simulation. If they did that, and perhaps also figured out a better way to interact with the world, it would be worth it.

I actually thought of doing a mod that re-rendered blocks with slopes so if at each intersection there were no other points then that point would be removed meaning that if the top front 2 corners had no other corners at that location it would remove those 2 making a triangular block sloping down.

It would be quite simple to do that rendering as well. so you would have pyramid hills. but it would be less blocky, and special blocks would have to render as normal so it would be only Sand, Dirt, rock, cobble, clay, etc - water already does this when it flows.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

I honestly think it'd be cool as hell if ores weren't evenly distributed, so only some places would have specific ores. Think Dwarf Fortress-style geology, except less complicated because it doesn't need to be(although it should also have the nice logical mix of different stones, ideally). Basically that and (much)deeper, more varied caves would do wonders for travel/location mattering in Minecraft. Imagine going on a multiplayer server and finding an abandoned mining town, because people went there for ore and didn't find enough or dug it all up so they needed to move on. That'd be so loving rad! What materials are worth depends very heavily on their scarcity, which is why Minecraft has never actually supported any sort of 'economy' even though servers always stick one on. You're almost never gonna trade materials with someone because you can just get it yourself, so there's no value. But if iron isn't easy to find, then it's far more valuable, and so are places that contain it.

Not that anything like that will ever happen in vanilla, but a boy can dream.

Applied Energistics 2 does something like that, to make the chips you need schematics for the imprinter, You find these by finding meteors that have crashed, and in the middle of the meteor is a chest you find these schematics.

A friend and I went round the world yesterday finding these, we now have multiple copies of some of them which if i get round to opening a store we could sell on the store...

On that note, i want the store to be only able to sell what has been bought so i can have a true player driven economy, I have seen the auction plugins but am wondering if there is a shop like chestshop but that automatically allows any items purchased(from players) to be sold as stock?

(Imagine Minecraft Jita 4-4 ....)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Enzer posted:

Also gently caress vanilla's lack of decorative building blocks.

This is some of the poo poo I've added for our server, lots of thanks go to SMP for making a good number of these textures.

Daub and Wattle blocks, the ones with no support going across their front use CTM to merge into one large bordered surface.

Painted Daub and Wattle. These were mostly done because we wanted to make wool more cloth like and wanted players to have something to make colorful houses with.

Decorative Iron, Rusted Iron, Bronze, Oxidized Bronze, Wrought Iron, Rusted Wrought Iron blocks. Main version of these blocks use CTM and there is a way to convert them into non-CTM blocks.

Creates full of random stuff.

Decorative bookshelves.

Additional tiled brick and red bricks.

Lapis brick, polished lapis block, Lapis smoothstone pillar, lapis sandstone pillar (pillar blocks CTM moving up).

Obsidian Brick and Chiseled Obsidian.

Additional sands as well as two environmental blocks for volcano and nether areas.

Additional sandstones.

Dyed glowstone and additional redstone lamps.

Stained clay brick type 1.

Stained clay brick type 2 aka painted brick.

Painted smooth stone brick.

Plus a bunch of new iron fence types, wooden fence types, "cross blocks" (think spider webs) that mimic puffs of smoke for chimneys or firefly that give off low light or animated buzzing flys or ropes and chains to attach hanging lamps to.

Combining what I have shown plus stuff I didn't bother to take pictures of, we've more than doubled the number of blocks MC adds. :v:

*Ignore some of the varied colors in some spots, lot of these images were taken with WIP textures*

I was just thinking it would be really good if we could make Japanese houses with paper walls / doors etc. and the correct looking raised floors etc.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

You can be a terrible programmer and still be better at working with a particular program than a skilled programmer.

In fact, if you are a terrible programmer, it is increasingly probable that you are possibly the only person on the planet capable of working with your program.

Code is a bit like language, everyone uses it a bit differently and the less formal instruction you get, the more you tend to start making up words and deviating from the standard, much to the fury and incomprehension of people who like the formal approach.

I have no formal training in development yet I am working as a Pro Dev in Java. but whilst I know Java well. (recently passed OCA Exam) but I have no real idea how the minecraft stuff works. as there is no design documents or Flowdiagrams showing how it all fits together.

Domain knowledge is the hardest thing to get in any job. more so in programming.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

Having been through a couple mergers/acquisitions in my day (one of which was a software company), it seems to take about 4-6 months before changes begin in earnest. There's usually some shuffling in upper management right off the bat (especially to replace the new billionaires who are on their way out), but the rank and file workers do okay initially. Then once plans are laid out and the bigger company identifies what people are redundant, that's when people get their pink slips.

Dead wood, HR people, IT.. they usually get shown the door. The folks with institutional knowledge get to stay longer because the company can't afford to lose their knowledge yet. But eventually even they get marginalized once replacement developers get up to speed.

It may have already started....
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/18/microsoft_layoffs_round_2/

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Sexy, time to turn the spawning space into a cobble box.

They spawn because of the water, there is a way to turn it into a farm, farming over 100000 items per hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpeYiGowqWk

It also shows you the radius of the spawn box.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Combat is so bad it's a joke. There is no game I can think of where combat is this outright frustrating, on account of how unresponsive and obnoxious so much of it is. Knockback is the loving worst. Being bounced between enemies is poo poo. Blocking is dumb because you still get hurt and enemies have such fast attacks there's basically no point. No attack animations exist. The Wither is a dumb boss that you basically have to brute force. Poison damage needs a better cure or a resist/immunity. Critical hits are dumb and bouncing up and down while you fight is ridiculous. Charging attacks are okay but sprinting is poorly designed in this game and even with the long-overdue assigned sprint button sometimes it just seems to not work at random. Even that little TSCCHT sound that happens when you take any damage from any source at all is annoying as hell. I hate it all, tear it down and start over, there's nothing even worth saving.

Also I finally bothered to get the one achievement I never have: On a Rail. The wording always confused me. Do you have to be 1000 blocks or more away from spawn, and ride a track? Nope, it turns out you have to ride a loving minecart for 1000 blocks. Granted that's only like 2.5 whole stacks of iron laid out as rail just so you can get one dumb achievement, but even in creative mode this is dumb and takes forever. It's got to be in a straight line, too.

Even if Microsoft does add a bunch of bad poo poo I'd like to at least see a coherently designed Minecraft game.

I have sgcraft and you can fire stuff through the gates, so what if you can ride a cart through a gate to another gate 1000 blocks away? does that count?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
What would be nice would be if you cut the leaves off a tree they would regrow over time, would also mean that you would have to treat logs so they don't respawn in your house...

hmmm,, Just like in the real world...

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

I'm walking through a forest and I see some wolves. I want a tame wolf. Oops, that requires combat.

I find a lake and I want to go fishing. Oops, that requires combat.

I want to experiment with potion-making. Oops, that requires combat.

I'm at the endgame and I want to build a beacon for my home base. Oops, that requires combat.

I want slime blocks. Oops, that requires combat.

There are literally about a dozen different items in the game that require combat to obtain, so yeah, if I want to play a game specifically about combat I will go find one of the hundreds of other games that focus on combat.

But I don't want to be forced to endure a lovely combat system to progress simply because "lol the game's not about combat". If it's not "about" combat, then it should either stop using combat as a barrier to progress, or actually work on the loving combat.

I see where you are going, to get a fishing rod you need string so you think you have to go kill a spider... Nope, find a mineshaft and cut down the webs to get string, where is the combat in that?
(Unless of course you are talking about the vicious punching of trees)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Blind Duke posted:

Meanwhile you have Sponge being developed by a bunch of the people that conveniently just left

Or the mystery breakout project from nowhere called husk attempting to create a server API that can also handle bukkit scripts and plugins somehow

Sponge is actually a ForgeMod that provides a Bukkit Like API.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Remora posted:

1.8 tripped the thermal cutout on my cybertoaster today after less than two hours. Never had that happen before.

I had a bugged mod kill 2 physical commercial servers as they were running the cores at 100% 24/7
lots of entries on the console showing

[2014-08-12 12:12:22] True

actually 20 per second.... <facepalm>

Still i have moved up to 1.7.10 with no repeat of this issue...
(I am also not using rtToolkit on the 1.7.10)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

redreader posted:

How do I find diamonds? I've been exploring a ton and found 1 block of it so far in about 4 hours last night. Do you go to the very bottom of caves, and THEN start mining?

when i start a game new world, i build a small dirt hut, place furnace and crafting table in the floor then dig a 1 wide 3 high stairway down to level 12
(that is Feet on 11 head on 12) Lava pools are 10 and below so you wont get lava pouring in on you (usually) then i just strip mine the area and get diamonds/redstone/lapis

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Taffer posted:

The choice between Z and Y for the up axis is largely arbitrary, though, and varies wildly across 3D systems.

it actually usually works on the right hand rule

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-hand_rule

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

No, please. I'd much rather just have regular mods. Even the bird video is largely impressive because of its method, but as a mod it would still probably be better.

I was gonna say that, I would so add that "birds" mod to my pack - if it existed.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I just had a horrible thought...
NEI replaced with a Metro Style overlay......

<run for the hills>

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

This is from a small hobby-store in Stavanger:

Minecraft is kinda huge. This is just from the smaller store in Norway.

just check out the "forbidden planet store" they have like 2 rows full of MC stuff, the books, foam picks shovels and swords, endermen and creeper jackets, onsies and tee shirts.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Jamesman posted:

I found a skeleton spawner, and wanted to relocate the skeletons near the surface so that if I had a charged creeper, I could mass the skeletons in a reasonable location to bring the creeper to them and get skulls. I didn't realize I had to be so close to the spawner, height-wise. So now I set up closer to the spawner, and set up a routing system for when I want to send the skeletons to the surface and when I want to XP grind.

Now there's just one more problem; I can't seem to get any mob softening systems to work in 1.8. Does anyone have any working designs, or should I just use a manual piston?

i use the height thing to keep mobs from spawning at night start of game, I grab dirt during the first day then nerd pole up to about 30-40 blocks up then no creepers spawn on the ground.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Diamond spawns in one block with a maximum size of 2x2x2 each chunk. That's why it's hard to find. It can also be overridden by features so each chunk may have no diamond at all. Really, the best way to get more diamond is branch mining. Finding diamond is really goddamned tedious. It isn't really more likely to be near lava there just tends to be a crap load of lava that deep so sometimes it seems like it. Far as I know it's just somewhere randomly in the chunk below level 16.

Really, whichever you think should be better sooner. I generally enchant a pick first to dig faster. Weapon enchantments can be a real crap shoot as sometimes you'll get the ones that aren't really all that useful.

Whenever i start on any type of Survival server or local game i have a system that seems to work -

Get Trees,
find side of hill/mountain and make small 3x3x2 room to start
make charcoal if coal not found to make stack of torches.
Dig a 3 high 1 wide stairway down to level 12
spread out looking for diamonds at level 12 (lava is usually at level 10 so you shouldnt have it drop in on you.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

I slap up cobblestone airlocks at those junctions, I hate leaving dark caves behind me where bad guys can spawn and sneak up on me.

i do a mix of stuff, my usual starting is slap some trees, make crafting station if tinkers is in there (the slab sized one) then dig out a 3x3x3 room in the nearest hill,
next if i have found coal make torches and some stone picks. otherwise make a furnace and use some of the wood to make a charcoal then use that one to make 8 more charcoal.

Now expand the 3x3x3 to a 7x7x3 then start a 3 high single width stair down the back entrance to the room.
stop when you get to level 12 and then just dig out looking for loot.

although i am the unluckiest/luckiest, 9 times out of 9 i find a dungeon, cave, chasm or mineshaft on that staircase... (i hate holes in the sides of my stairs)

my beginning of lets play techworld2 is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7zDtFoqe64
apart from making the base rather than cutting into the side of the mountain its sort of how i play...

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 11, 2014

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

StorrowS posted:

You really think they're going to do all this, instead of just including a standard Java installer within the Minecraft launcher?

well its M$ so maybe they will force it to run on J++ instead of Java - say hello to 8GB .Net install

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

whalestory posted:

what if they incorporated stuff outside minecraft like famous streamers as characters :-) think about it

That would be terrible, imagine the adult horror walking into a small house in a village to find Lewis , Honeydew and Sips all in bed together...

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
How about this for a challenge map,

enforce a texture pack where every ore looks like smooth stone and do not install Waila.

Finding ores would be even more luck than normal, and was that a diamond you just walked past or was it actually stone?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

fondue posted:

It works; there's no bobble of objects placed into the world and it's pretty seemless. I think the big question is how long it will take them to move it from the hard-cabled to a backpack glasses that require calibration to the user into glasses that anyone can just put on and use. I've been reading coverage of the Hololens and it's nothing short of amazing, it looks like a lot of kinect research went into making it happen.

Lol I just thought, instead of making the kinect lenses 3 across maybe they should have them glow green and be in a triangle,

People walking around looking like Sam fisher....

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
The one change i would like to see is that Skeletons start say with random 3-7 arrows and get 2 arrows per minute, so they are not able to just pepper you with arrows ad infinitum,
Also if they run out of arrows they turn and run until they get more, meaning they kite you automatically.

I think that would make a more realistic fight instead of unable to kill them as they are knocking you back all the time. and you only have a sword.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Why doesn't someone with a 3D printer make a minecraft block set, like lego but 1x1x1 size (or 1x1x2 for chests) so people can make their own 3D minecraft worlds on their coffee tables

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Adults can like legos too just like adults can like to play Minecraft :shrug:

But you're right, it's really a moot point because their target audience doesn't care. But after the Microsoft Not An Oculus Rift comes out we'll be able to play Minecraft in our living room WITH our living room and it won't look stupid or gimmicky at all! :downs:

Well i cant wait until they silently upgrade the physical sensations addon, then you walk into a block at head height and get a lump on the head when you bash it against the block hanging in mid air

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

ewe2 posted:

NEI is fine in the 1.8.x series. Liteloader betas work ok enough for VoxelMaps too, but have to wait for 1.9 for something stable apparently.

Most of the people running my modpack have to remove liteloader as it crashes their machines. (I have it in the pack for voxelmaps)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

ewe2 posted:

Seems ok if it's added after the recent Forges and gets its directories made on a vanilla install.

Well my home PC works fine,
(560GTX) quad core 8xxx processor 8 GB Ram, (max it can take)

My Laptop didnt like it at all and actually reported on the front screen that liteloader failed to initialise.
Laptop is an i7 with Nvidia GFX built in. with 32GB ram

Both running windows 7 and java 1.7

and in both cases installed via technics pack.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

taiyoko posted:

Why are you using Java 7? Latest version is 8u31.

so you dont know about the issues with Forge packs not working with java 8...

http://www.technicpack.net/article/concurrentmodificationexception-in-java-18020.89

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Like I said in my post, any non-opaque block, so I would imagine that yes, string would probably work. Leaf blocks also work. Is there an easy way to get a lot of string though? Other than finding cave spider places...

Redstone blocks work as well and work as xray vision or is that glowstone

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Just loving around to kill some time I came across the most complex cave system I've ever seen. Over the past week I've spent what must amount to 10-12 hours exploring it and I STILL haven't explored the entire thing. So far I've found 6 underground ravines (one of which is two intersecting ravines, so 7), two different mineshafts (and you know how sprawling those bastards are), and approximately a gazillion miles of interlocking multilevel caves all around, with a conveniently located gigantic open room around the center of it all (or at least it's the center because it's where I set up shop.) Caving is pretty usually ho-hum but this system's proven so much bigger than anything I'd seen before it's ridiculous.

I'm playing a customized world with some settings tweaked to encourage this sort of thing, but this is the first time I've come across anything remotely like this.

Whenever i play any mod pack i build my starting hole in the side of a cliff and start the stairs down to lvl 12 for diamonds, and I always 99% of the time hit mineshafts, caverns or chasms. I am unlucky like that.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Psh that's not that impressive anybody could do that *builds another sorta rectangular house, sobbing*

You build houses? I build hobbit holes and then squirrel away building my empire underground

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

They really missed an opportunity to call it "Lovecraft."

Do we really want undersea temples to Great Cuthulu or even

Aylith - The Widow in the Woods, The Many-Mother A tall, shadowy humanoid figure with yellow glowing eyes and strange protrusions like the branches of dead trees. She serves Shub-Niggurath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

SliceofVice posted:

Son-of-a- Soothed? SOOTHED? Is this a game for PTSD war victims or something? :shepicide:

------

Absolutely! Recipes were missing on the website, and now that this App streamlines things quite a bit, it's even more apparent. I want to do dungeon loot too, and I don't imagine it'd be hard to implement. I'm just not sure how Minecraft classifies it yet.

-----

Absolutely, take your time. I want to make poo poo that's actually useful to the MC community. Honestly I thought this was hot poo poo when I started this project months ago, but I find I rarely need to look anything up, so I'm trying to find ways to make it more useful for veteran players.

----

Brilliant! I think I rendered all of the assets as *.PNGs with transparency so you might be on to something..

Edit:
Ok, I couldn't resist:

Quick hide this, I don't want the pixelmon head dev to see it, he may add it :P