Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
All mobs, including squid and ghasts, can ride in minecarts. It can lead to amusing things like person on pig on squid on minecart, if you have access to a decent /spawnmob commmand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

FirePhoenix posted:

:suicide:

Why are you reading anything written by an average minecraft fan? Seriously. The Minecraft community consists of some of the dumbest individuals you will find on the internet, some of whom shouldn't even be capable of using a computer, given how ignorant they are. Reading anything involving them is an act of masochism.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Loving Life Partner posted:

You could probably make a piston system that would waterboard them

Have each cell of chickens have a stream of water flow under it flowing towards a wooden pressure plate. Hook the pressure plates to a set of pistons set to push a block downwards into the cell, and a set of pistons to cut off the opening out to the pressure plate.

The chickens lay an egg, the egg travels down the stream onto the wooden pressure plate, the pistons activate, forcing the chicken underwater, and the chicken dies for its effort.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Just started up a 1.9 server. There was a small village near the spawn, except all the villagers wandered way out of town and died. T'would be nice if they weren't so stupid/suicidal. I wound up filling the town up with snow golems just so there was something to inhabit it.

In other news, the chicken torture device idea I posted a little bit back?

Works like a charm. Even made it reloadable, by placing a second stream down to the chamber with a dispenser at the end. And the unloaded chickens can doom their brethren, since their eggs will flow down as well.

Snollygoster posted:

do endermen work in smp yet

Nope. Tested it, and they absolutely will not attack you unless you attack first.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

CJacobs posted:

This has already been discussed, they are a strange mix of Bert and Squidward.

Alternatively, something you're supposed to recolor blue so you can have a village of Gonzos.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Mulefisk posted:

Some shots from an adventure map I've been working on.

Ooh la la~ That's shaping up very nicely.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Bat Ham posted:

What's the bet this results in being able to feed cows steak for a while?

Create a small cow farm. Kill a cow. Feed another cow the steak. Breed cow. Repeat.

Cyclical animal abuse. :pseudo:

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Arkitektbmw posted:

or any other loving word which comprises another game title.

And may god have mercy on your soul if you happen to put 'Edge' in your title.

(Except, of course, poo poo like this has already been tossed out of court. This is a really terrible idea on Bethesda's part, since it not only isn't likely to succeed, but it also fosters bad will for their company.)

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Of all the things I'd like to see done with redstone, my biggest wish would be for the ability to wire up three dispensers/doors/what have you side-by side to one line of redstone instead of having to go through tons of inane bullshit to make sure the lines of redstone don't interact in any loving way.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hey, has 1.9 PR2 made any changes to Endermen? I was colonizing an island a few minutes ago when I stepped out of my hut and saw one just standing there. Not sure if my cursor moved over it, but it suddenly teleported away from me. Its trail seemed to go on for longer than normal (maybe 15-18 blocks) before disappearing into the ground. Thing is, this was in broad daylight. I thought they were damaged by sunlight?

Their behavior was changed a lot. They now pretty much teleport in response to any threat and are completely unharmed by sunlight.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Well, I tried to create a piggie-go-round powered by a quantum chicken oscillitron(read:fuckton of chickens in a 3x1 box with one pressure plate in the center). Sadly, it didn't work, because it lagged the server so much that minecarts stopped working.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 5, 2011

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7KsYw6M7os

Best I could do with my machine's limited resources.

I believe it has successfully been demonstrated that chickens are subject to the property of diffusion.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

So, I did a bit of fiddling around with snow golems.

A few discoveries:
1.Snow Golems are inherently stable. In high-pressure environments, they merely cluster into four groups and spin around.

2.However, encasing them in solid blocks causes them to amass an incredible amount of potential energy. When released from this state, they are launched with an immense force.

3.They really, really, really hate wheat.

Next time, I'll test the properties of sheep orgies.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

PalmTreeFun posted:

Holy poo poo. This AVO grief makes the trees one look like nothing. In this one they went to some crazy cult server and made some "changes."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKNGTsWCYmA
Now, generally I'm not terribly fond of griefing in Minecraft, but the sheer craziness of the owner of that server combined with just how loving glorious that came out...

:golfclap:

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I want its skull AS my easy chair.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

T'would have been nice to see a working mod API more than anything else. Honestly, without Bukkit at the bare minimum, the game isn't really worth the time.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Fire posted:

What difference does it make? You're not supposed to be playing the game to win anyway. You're supposed to make giant golden penis towers and grief people's stupid servers..

Development time. The time making a horrible ending could have been spent on, say, not having doors still be buggy in the release, or making the villagers slightly less stupid or even maybe useful.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Macaluso posted:

So uh, the newest Yogscast... :lol:

http://youtu.be/SxzUmD-BjBA

Honeydew as a hairless dwarf pony. Welp.

I feel like I should read the thread for that mod. There's no way it isn't hilariously awful. Minecraft fans and bronies in one place.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Y'know, I'd really like to see an updated version of the original creative at this point. Like, all the new blocks, but the same old terrain generation, same old finite maps, same old ridiculously vivid colors, the 'flood everything' water mechanics, and strangely absent lighting. Something about original creative felt alive and charming, which was lost post-indev.

It doesn't help that the constant surge of minor updates makes it really hard to just pick up and play minecraft, since in a week it'll be outdated and all the mods that actually made the game interesting again will be broken.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

As far as I can tell, the main problem with Minecraft is that's it's too all over the place. All the useless, unwieldy bullshit that was added in the past year or two needs to get tossed out. The End, the Nether, fortresses, Abandoned mineshafts, experience, enchanting, alchemy, and the like need to get tossed. Redstone needs to be simplified a whole loving lot or outright removed. The new lighting system needs to be scrapped, and the game needs some serious optimization.

After its free of all the excess bullshit that's accumulated over the years, then creative needs to be completely split from survival.

Make lighting for creative entirely optional, no more creepers and endermen to gently caress up everyone's buildings, and remove all the weapons and tools and all that bullshit that doesn't actually do anything in creative.

Survival needs to be made harder, take place in finite worlds with some limited resources, and contain enemies who can threaten the player regardless of what kind of buildings they set up to protect themselves. They shouldn't be things that pop up everywhere and wreck everyone's poo poo, but the occasional rare enemy that come bursting through your door, phases through walls, or something to keep players on edge would make things a hell of a lot more interesting. At the same time, it shouldn't be terribly complex, either. Minecraft will never be a good roguelike, and it needs to stop trying to emulate them. Roguelikes rely on ridiculous amounts of content which absolutely is not possible at minecraft's current rate of development.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Gentwise posted:

Yeah man, just remove some of the precious few features and limit the player more, that'll solve the game's problems!

You mean the features that are either broken (floating abandoned mineshafts EVERYWHERE, Testificates that just wander around until they die), stupid (The End), or stupidly implemented (alchemy, experience, enchanting, redstone)? Yeah.

A good game isn't made of hundreds of half-assed features. If any of those features were better planned, and better fit into the game, they'd be fine. But they're not. They're haphazardly tossed in, creating a game that has a ton of complexity, but no enjoyable content. Building isn't terribly fun when just placing two doors next to each other causes the game to gently caress itself unless you want to make some ridiculously large network of redstone, and then you get to worry about creepers coming in and loving up your projects. Survival isn't fun because there's absolutely no survival to it. It takes about 15 minutes to make an invincible fortress once you've got some coal. There's no other goal or exciting content after that point. You've won!

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 26, 2012

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

redmercer posted:

Honestly, I've stopped myself from making this post like, half a dozen times, but if you're bitching about features outside the mod API, you really need to hie thee to the Modding thread and pick either Yogsbox or Technic.
Point taken.

Though gently caress, the mod API needs to happen.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Cube World definitely has my interest. Hell, it has more than my interest, it has my complete and absolute attention, and hopefully it'll have my money.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Colonel J posted:

You guys do know there's no construction in Cube World right?

Actually the last few posts in the blog have been about the system for building homes. So yeah.

Though it's pretty far removed from Minecraft.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

D34THROW posted:

Bad control schemes I can deal with. Used to play Knights of the Old Republic once in a while, and that control scheme was...horrendous, to say the least. Hard-to-decipher ASCII interfaces are beyond tolerance for me.

Yeah, that's not really comparible to how bad Dwarf Fortress' control scheme is. Here's the control list. You will need to memorize and use every single one of those controls to be able to play. Most menus don't allow for mouse controls. It is a game for masochists and cryptographers.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 30, 2012

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

poemdexter posted:

hey0 started it all with his wrapper. He also had a few other devs helping him. He left for Christmas break one year and there was a minecraft update and the devs had no idea what they were doing. Some self appointed head of communications on IRC decided to tell everyone that hey0 wasn't approving code (there was no approval process) and he decides to wrangle all the poo poo devs and start bukkit. hey0 comes back from break, fixes the code the devs couldn't fix, releases his last update, and quits modding due to drama. Best part is that the guy who runs bukkit isn't a developer at all. He just managed to convince all the hey0 helpers to start a new thing which just so happens to look EXACTLY like hey0's did except it took them months and months to even get to something that worked at the same level as hey0's. It's also around the time I quit modding because gently caress those guys. I'm not supporting bukkit at all.
That would explain why Bukkit is such a frustrating clusterfuck to use.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Jeb was doing so good too...

Welp, I guess there's still Cube World and Starbound, and hopefully they'll be managed by competent people with some sense of what they're doing.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

From what I've seen, people on the Minecraft forums flip the gently caress out if you so much as mention guns in minecraft. Of course, they flip the gently caress out about everything, so take that as you will.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Bicehunter posted:

Are there not like 6000 mods that has guns in them?
Yes, and the moment you want it to be more than a mod you're trying to turn Minecraft into Call of Duty and are a bad, bad person.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

As you know, excessively overcomplicated bullshit that spontaneously breaks on its own and can be duplicated exactly and work in one chunk but not another is totally fun and good design.

But seriously redstone is quite possibly the most poorly implemented and horribly coded bullshit in minecraft, and that's a goddamn feat.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I actually liked finite worlds back when they were around. At least in creative, things start to get city-like given enough time, much more so than in SMP.

They were also pretty fun for survival, except, y'know, that was in part because of the world generation options.