Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pylb posted:

Can Mojang and Bethesda settle this out of court (with private conditions), allowing Mojang to potentially keep the name Scrolls without it impacting Beth's hold on their trademark ?
Those private conditions could include a showdown of Notch vs. Carmack.

Yes they can totally do that. All that matters is that Bethesda made a nominal effort to protect part of their trademark. Hashing these deals out in private negotiations is the most common way trademark and copyright disputes get settled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hadlock posted:

Agreed. The problem with minecraft SMP servers is that generally there is "spawn town" which is the group of buildings the first 7 or 8 people who sign on to the server build (who then lose interest before the die-hards log in weeks or months later) and then there is the second city built a couple hundred blocks from spawn because someone said "hey this looks like a good spot because it is relatively flat" and for no other reason.

Which totally flies in the face of real reasons why someone would choose a location to build a city (protected port city (San Francisco, London, Miami, LA, New York City, Barcelona, Rio de Janeiro, Baltimore), good farmland (Kansas City, Orlando, Mexico City, Albany), crossroads between various port cities and farming communities (Dallas, St. Louis, New Orleans). Nobody cared about building on a port in minecraft because there are so few bodies of water big enough that you can't see the shore from where you're standing, and protected coves are so drat small. You're lucky if you can fit 5 or 10 boats in most "harbors" on a typical map. Terrain has always been really flat and farming was never something most people did besides for getting the achievement.

So here's hoping those islands are huge and they tweak some of their code to generate some excellent natural harbors. Cities should pop up more naturally on SMP servers if the geography is at all reflective of the real world.

You'll never see proper urban planning like you want because people don't need to export/import goods in Minecraft.

Maybe if Notch ever adds some kind of automatic route following boat that has a storage chest inside it so you can have waterborne commerce....

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'm resisting exploring in nay of my single player worlds until 1.8 comes out. I want weird conflicts between world generation methods to be as close to what I usually play in as possible.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qxan posted:

I can almost guarantee you that the weird conflicts will be very large this patch. You might just want to retire those worlds when 1.8 is released.

Heh I think I wasn't clear. I want to have the bizarre edge clashes as close to where I have bases already as possible.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EightBit posted:

There's quite a bit of fun and challenge in having to go deep into a mine to obtain materials for your structures. Maybe there should be a slider letting you choose how sparse materials should be when generating a world? One end is Creative, the other a bit less than what is available now in Survival.

Yeah. I mean, I like exploring all over and mining out a ton of rock to get materials. I don't like that I have to deal with falling damage and fire damage and oxygen in water if I want to just build but also get the resources myself. Basically I want an official mode that's Peaceful Survival minus any form of player health.

Sure I can mod to have that now, but it'd be nice to have in vanilla.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
So wait, do the silverfish actually attack you or are they passive mobs who only push you around incidentally (like cows or w/e)? Because if they aren't aggressive I have absolutely no problem with them, but if they are then gently caress that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FirePhoenix posted:

I just wish there was more in vanilla to work towards in terms of items. Obviously, you work towards whatever you want to build but as far as items go, once you have diamonds that's it for progression. Plenty of mods out there add stuff after diamond which is fun and all but I wish the vanilla game had those things too. It would be fun if NPCs could reward you with armor with bonuses, or amulets, or swords that cause effects. As they are now, I'm assuming (ASSUMING) that the rewards will be things like what we find in dungeon chests, maybe some glowstone, diamonds at best.

I'd rather have an armor/tool material that's actually in between iron and diamond. There's just such a ridiculously huge jump in durability between them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I will never play that but God bless you for having ambition.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shameproof posted:

It's definitely not for everyone, but I have always liked the Roguelike aspects of MC. When the Halloween Update first came out and had a ton of bugs and an over-the-top difficulty I was having the time of my life.

I mean, I know exactly why this would be something people want to play and it looks well constructed and all but it's also the opposite of my playstyle. If you get it finished though I think it'll be a huge hit!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'd really like for there to be sand in more places. Sand deposits are actually quite common in real world caves and can be very hazardous for miners. Sure we have gravel in cave systems but there should be sand there too.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jesto posted:

What? :geno:

"Because no" There, done, you can stop worrying about it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zorak posted:

The reason Notch isn't allowing dynamic lighting set to all torches I'm pretty sure is that it absolutely murders a lot of computers, and given that Minecraft isn't the best optimized thing in the world, that murder would probably be very effective.

"In this update, 30% of all Minecraft players will be no longer be able to play Minecraft at all"

Yeah, I use a simple mod that just makes it so a glow surrounds you if you're holding certain objects and on my old desktop it cuts the FPS from 60 to 40. Doesn't have much effect on this compy but actual dynamic lighting in the game instead of a mod version wouldn't be able to be turned off on slower computers.

As far as I'm aware, no dynamic light mods are able to do things like make it so you standing next to dirt blocks in an otherwise dark room for a bit with a bright light held will allow grass to spread onto them from a lighter area. Vanilla having dynamic lights would have to be able to do that, and it couldn't really be a disableable feature anymore than Vanilla can allow you to disable time passing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Commodore Clipclop posted:

You can actually easily have the dynamic light graphic effect toggle, and still have the grass growing effect by having the torches still provide mechanical light vs actual graphical light

Yes but then you have the same overhead in processing. Whether the dynamic light visuals are on or not, in order to keep the game consistent, especially on multiplayer, the game must either function as if the light rendering was always on (and thus always have the extra processing overhead that slows down many systems) OR dynamic light has to be a graphical effect only and thus is unable to affect anything beyond what your first or third person view looks like.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
And I think it's important to note that no matter how well coded it would be, it would necessarily slow down the game on slower computers. It's added work that needs to be done.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Mobs can also spawn much closer than 25 blocks if there's a mob spawner nearby. A held torch's affecting the light level could keep a mob from spawning when you're near a dungeon.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gilok posted:

You don't know what you're sayin', man.

It's called a scorched earth policy. :madmax:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vib Rib posted:

I really wish there were a difficulty option that could toggle whether or not you drop items on death.

I know it's a balance issue and I understand the implications of difficulty and forethought but never once has dropping and losing my inventory been even remotely enjoyable or enriched my gameplay experience in Minecraft in any way. All losing my poo poo when I die does is make me frustrated and want to give up on the game for a while.
It should just be an option.

One of the best parts of Single Player Commands is the command that swiytches it so you don't lose items on death. There's also the more balanced "spawn a chest where you die and fill the chest with your inventory at death" command.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zorak posted:

But "death chest" and a lack of timeline removes the risk inherent in traveling away from your bed/ spawn. Exploration loses all "risk" involved when there's no intrinsic danger involved.

Except I remember when beds were first introduced that it was going to ruin the game so much to not have to go back to original spawn according to a lot of people! You were supposed to have to trek a thousand blocks on foot with no items if you died, according to them , or minecraft wasn't fun.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zorak posted:

Strawmans are cool! wait, no, they aren't

The point is intrinsic risk involved. The whole point of beds is allowing you to "set" where your home is. Your safe haven. If you leave your safe haven, you are no longer safe. You are forced to prepare for it, ready for it, mentally and physically in the game mechanics. The risk is all part of the whole bloody game.

It's not a matter of ARE YOU HARDCORE ENOUGH, it's a a matter of basic risk-reward pysche stuff. You want good stuff, and you have to risk bad stuff to get good stuff. This is how "adventures" work. Walking into a shopping mall where your antics might result in you being sent outside the mall before coming back in to grab your MP3 player is different from, say, breaking into an abandoned run down shopping mall where you run the risk of physical harm / legal troubles. The adrenaline induced by the risk is why "adventuring" is fun at all.

And when you gently caress up, yeah it's frustrating. Thankfully, this is just a video game though, and all it does is make you even more paranoid about the danger in the future. Which is kind of the entire point of "Minecraft": build a thing while holding off the risks at hand. Having a hand-burning moment that reminds you that there is an actual penalty to not being cautious keeps you always on your toes and aware of the risk. If the worst that can happen to you is that you have to walk ___ feet to grab your chest, or even just be sent back to your home, there's nothing to lose there. Worst case scenario you have to backtrack. Gasp.

Without any sort of item decay or risk of losing items, the game is just creative with mobs in and a grind.

e: it's the whole reason why the Nether has Ghasts, even. The reward is the fast travel/ rare resources, the risk is one of the most difficult to handle mobs in the game. Risk, reward. Danger from exploring from "home", associated rewards for managing to do so successfully. By approaching the situations intelligently you can mine yourself safely. That's basically Minecraft in a nutshell.

I'm not saying you believe that beds were just as bad as this, what I'm saying is people have always resisted things that "make there be less risk" in Minecraft. There was a ton of people ranting on the Minecraft forum about how being able to build a bed anywhere to respawn meant you could just build spawn rooms in a cave system you explored and have no risk etc. Other people said respawn point changing would only be balanced if it required a shitload of gold or diamonds or obsidian because it needed to be "expensive" for some reason.

And then even after the bed update came out, people bitched that getting 3 wool and 3 planks was just too easy, etc. Of course notch has never required us to use beds. If the keep items on death or spawn item chest at death location (or the mod that spawns a dungeon around where you died with your stuff in the chests) mods ever were added to the main game, they would still be optional things, I would think. And after all, there is a no-hostile-mobs difficulty setting in the game already, it's obviously allowing room for people who get enough adventure out of just mining and building.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

wyoming posted:

Vocal majorities are usually minorities, especially when bitching about game mechanics.
Regardless
1. The penalty, isn't bad, unless you fall into lava, getting your items back is always easy.
2. If the penalty didn't exist, I'm completely positive a majority of you wouldn't be playing the game. It's the only risk that exists.
3. I refuse to believe that anyone has completely stopped playing because they got killed or fell into lava.

Zorak this is the kind of stuff I was talking about seeing when the idea of changing your spawn point/beds was first brought up.

"Changing this would make some aspect of the game less hard even if optional, therefore it shouldn't be in the vanilla game" Essentially.

Vib Rib posted:

1. No, it's not always easy. Especially when you're neck-deep in a cave system near bedrock far from spawn. And even if that's the case, what possible harm could it do to at the very least add a death chest system?
2. Again, most people are not arguing for a complete removal of all penalties, you don't need to disprove this.
3. I don't know about permanently but even in these threads plenty of people have talked about stepping away from the game because they fell in lava because of one errant mis-step.

Not to mention that a death chest in lava is still hard to get at. Or that a death chest could simply be another difficulty option. I'm personally in favor of deathchest = dungeon gets built around death chest if space is available and contains a mob spawner you now have to deal with.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Read posted:

Your personal preferences towards Minecraft don't need to be added to the game, especially when they would be going against one of the core mechanics of it.

This is exactly what people said about changing your spawn point/beds.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

wyoming posted:

Well, if you're adding a deathchest, you are completely removing the penalty. So, you're contradicting yourself.

If you're good at the game then retrieving your lost stuff is a cakewalk anyway, therefore there's already no penalty.

All the deathchest does is remove the "items despawn after 5 minutes of the chunk they're in being loaded" timer. Except if you died in lava, but then again a death chest under lava blocks is going to be hard to use too.

Personally, I find it penalty enough to have to walk all the way from my spawn base to wherever I died, which in most cases is a decent way away.

pseudorandom name posted:

Your death chest needs to be guarded by your vengeful ghost.

This? This I like. Or at least a zombie with your skin.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vargs posted:

How often are you guys really falling into lava? The shift key prevents you from doing so. I've played this game for hundreds of hours and I honestly do not think it's happened to me a single time. And that's certainly not because I'm just some super minecraft god who's block-placing twitch skills put you all to shame.

There's tons of ways to die in Minecraft.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Red Minjo posted:

And then you get killed by your ghost, and now you have to deal with two death chests and two ghosts. You could make your own little hostile ghost town, full of treasure. It could make for a very fun adventure map, I think.

I'd love to see a chain world full of these avenging ghosts.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CJacobs posted:

He seems like he would enjoy creative mode more than survival to me despite it not having monsters/health or whatever he was complaining about, which is good because it's coming back in the next update anyway!

A lot of us prefer to have to mine for poo poo in Survival instead of having unlimited stacks in creative. Personally I'd love if I could toggle it so that the only mobs out were creepers seeing as they're the only mobs who really damage your designs instead of you.

Internet Kraken posted:

You guys act like dying in Minecraft is easy. It's not. After you get some decent gear it is very hard to get killed unless you are being incredibly careless. If death had any less of a penalty then it would be even more trivial than it already is.

It's almost if.. there could be some way to choose levels of penalties and challenge, what a concept eh? And that the penalty of death might be different in "easy" versus "hard" versus "insane hardcore ironman".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Internet Kraken posted:

If you don't want to deal with any of the games threats, you play on peaceful.

This is what you aren't getting. On peaceful, you can still die, and lose your stuff. That's the game having threats that you deal with.

Internet Kraken posted:

Losing your stuff on death isn't extreme at all. Extreme would be deleting your world on death. Your items don't even disappear when you die and can be picked up easily in many cases.

I don't understand why you think having death chests wouldn't be a challenge so it's bad but then go on to say that dying in minecraft actually doesn't cause a challenge at all, recovering is easy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vib Rib posted:

I wish it were a little more... continental.
That big shape in the middle should be partitioned off into a number of large islands, maybe even just three, but the one problem I've always had with Infdev on is that sometimes the entire world is like one contiguous, shapeless landmass.

Practically speaking though, that guy's map is 20,000 x 20,000. That means it's a 400 square kilometer area, which is about the size of the City of Philadelphia.

If we want to talk about things being continent size, the smallest continent on Earth is Australia, and that's 7.6 million square KM. The same area in Minecraft would be a square defined by 0,0;0,2760000;2760000,2760000;2760000;0

That is, you'd need to walk 2,760,000 out one way, and then 2,760,000 at a right angle to that to encompass an actual continent-size area. A really big lake, like Lake Superior, is 127,700 square kilometers, a square Minecraft "ocean" 357,351 on a side would be as big as a large real world lake.

Just something to think about! Your character walks about 5 blocks a second, and blocks are a meter, so in single minecraft day cycle of 20 minutes you can go 6 kilometers or about 3.78 miles. When you consider all this stuff, is it really any wonder that it tends to look like one big landmass?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is that really the announced release date (if so, source?)? Or did you just make that up?

Minecon was supposed to coincide with the retail 1.0 version, not beta 1.9.

Yeah If anything you'd expect 1.9 to be released halfway between minecon and now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
So has anyone been able to confirm whether or not a stronghold will generate in a map brought into 1.8 from 1.7.3? I have a few maps I want to bring over and exploit chunk generation mismatches at the boundaries, but I want to know if 1.8 will still generate one of the 3strongholds per map in an area i haven't explored yet in the older version.

I'm currently waiting on 1.7.3 because neither Optifine nor my favorite multiplayer server are on 1.8 yet.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I finally got 1.8.1 going and I realized that the changing light colors make it easier to tell if an area is dark enough for mob spawns, even if you have brightness boosted.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr Scumbag posted:

Join the club. Heaps of us are getting that and so far there's no fix. I'm reinstalling Win7 tonight for unrelated reasons but I'll report back if it happens to make a difference.

Try making a shortcut with this as the shortcut target:

"C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx3172M -Xms1024M -jar "C:\Users\jeremiah\downloads\Minecraft.exe"

Only, you change the last part depending on where you put the minecraft.exe

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DoctorJones posted:

Someone in here mention 64-bit java for minecraft. Does anyone have any instructions on how to make this work? I googled it, but most of the links are 3rd party forums that I don't really trust.

Also will switching to 64-bit affect any mods or texture packs?

Well I'll be helpful and actually post where to go: http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Once there, click Windows 7, XP Offline (64-bit) (don't worry, it does work on Vista as well).

It won't affect any mods or texture packs, other than that high res texture packs (128x128, 256x256, 512x512 etc) should now perform a lot better, and memory-intensive mods should perform better too.

Once you've got 64 bit Java, you should probably grab 64 bit Flash ( http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer11.html ) and 64 bit Silverlight ( http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=227576 ) and use a 64 bit browser like IE 64 bit which is already on your computer, or 64 bit builds of Firefox ( http://waterfoxproj.sourceforge.net/downloads/ http://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-x64.shtml ). 64 bit browsers will perform better, are incidentally more secure due to having a larger memory space for randomization which is supposed to be important to stop exploits, and are probably more stable.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Saeka posted:

Found out something cool. When placing and destroying Stone Brick Stairs, I occasionally get back a Mossy Stone Brick.

I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, so best be getting on it if you can't find a stronghold with the mossy stone.

You will also randomly get mossy stone bricks and cracked stone bricks by destroying a regular stone brick block.

You don't need to destroy stone brick stairs only to do it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I like how Endermen behave on multiplayer right now. That is, how they don't respond to you looking at them, and only become hostile if you attack 'em.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Death Himself posted:

This is true unless it changed recently.

The java site won't serve you the 64 bit version unless you to there in 64 bit IE. No other browser works.

Not true. You can get it in any other browser on the manual download page: http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gadaffi Duck posted:

There is if you're using a netbook.

Netbooks have 64 bit processors now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Sassy Dog posted:

Does anyone else have problems with Endermen? Not like, 'drat those guys gently caress my poo poo up so much!' Rather, Endermen are never hostile?

I can look straight at one in the day, at night, in a mine, in a house, with a mouse. They will not attack me, Sam I Am. :saddowns:

Just my opinion and all, but I like them a lot better as passive-but-kill-you-if-attacked mobs like Zombie Pigmen. The idea of them chasing after you if you jut look at them is kind of cheesy and probably a better fit for a mod than the actual game.

Being 9 foot 10 and bumbling around grabbing blocks is already cool enough. Though they do tend to make unlit forest areas near your home base or town look silly with all the missing tree trunks after a while.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Seizureman posted:

I just went back to that house to find the last wood block of a nearby tree burning up. It seems the forge is the culprit. Wasn't fire reined in a bit to keep forest fires from getting out of hand? That would explain why the damage was so limited.

I think it was 1.6 where fire was changed so that it couldn't spread infinitely. Although it was more like making it so that spreading infinitely would require a whole lot of luck.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

YJT posted:

I'm pretty sure the bar doesn't go down at all if you don't move, it doesn't go down if you're in your inventory screen anyway.

Personally I prefer the new system of regeneration, I know what your saying but a hasty retreat followed by a rest to get health back seems a more natural system and the advantage of regenerating health when just running about normally instead of constantly burning through food for small things like single heart fall damage more than makes up for any inconvenience. If they hadn't made food stackable it would be one of the worst possible changes they could have made though.

The health bar definitely doesn't go down if you stay motionless (although maybe it will with the Poison effect on?)
According to Minecraft Wiki:

There are four fields in level.dat which are related to hunger:

foodLevel ranges 0–20, this value represents your hunger bar. One point represents Foodpointhalf.png
foodSaturationLevel is an invisible additional hunger variable, which is depleted before main foodLevel value. Eating any food will also add some to this variable. Note that this value cannot exceed foodLevel.
foodTickTimer increases with every tick when foodLevel>17 or zero. When it reaches 80 it will reset and heal or deal one point of damage.
foodExhaustionLevel ranges from 0.0 to 4.0 and increases with every action you take. When the exhaustion level reaches above 4.0 it will get subtracted by 4.0 and subtracts 1 point from foodSaturationLevel or from foodLevel if foodSaturationLevel equals 0.

Exhaustion level increase
Action ExhaustionLevel increase
Sneaking (per block/meter) 0.009
Walking (per block/meter) 0.01
Sprinting (per block/meter) 0.1
Jump 0.2
Sprinting jump 0.4
Break block 0.025
Receive any damage 0.3
Being poisoned from food 15.0 over effect duration

The maximum you can have is 20 saturation + 20 food. Healing from empty with cooked porkchop or steak or healing at any point with golden apple will max out your saturation and food bar, mushroom stew usually does too. With them both maxed, you can sneak 4,444.444 blocks, walk 4000, sprint 400, or break 1600 blocks before empty.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Master Twig posted:

I think they'll still pick up blocks, but just not in a "destroy stuff you've built" kind of way.

For fun, load up a single player world with the Single Player Commands mod and spawn like 600 Endermen and see what they'd done to the landscape or buildings after the night ends.