Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Minecraft desperately either needs a modding API or the source code released because the modding community is the only place I can get my Minecraft 'fix' anymore.
Mods have been doing things people are wishing for in the base game for a long time now. Airships, new mobs(horses/fish/bears/etc), real ACTUAL NPC villages (in 3 cultures to boot) with villagers and economies that grow and change with time, complex machinery and factories, real redstone improvements (that also add a poo poo-ton of aesthetic parts), fantasy alchemical things that push the 'game' itself out further, complex dungeons with redstone traps and musical puzzles..you can just keep rattling on.

To me the modding community (and as horribly terrible as it is) is where the real innovation is coming from now and the only place that puts to use things Notch has neglected. Still waiting for a reason for the Nether? Still want lamps? Still want windmills and water wheels? Still desire a rideable horse? Furniture? Guns? Turrets? The modding community has already done it and refined it down so well that I really doubt Notch's ability to deliver the same content without it being a sad attempt. Just look at Notch's NPC villages compared to Millénaire. Sure, Notch can all surprise us and his NPCs might be awesome, but there is a history of features that never get (or take a long rear end time) put into the game.

Well, this IS the Internet. One man can't do all that the hivemind collective can. I wish more games made use of this, since it's one of the unique things about the Internots.

I also like Baronjutter's idea, but I'm sure somebody might have already tried it and hasn't gotten it to work, else it'd already be here. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
My only redstone stuff was a lever that changed a minecart rail corner to change directions. :(
EDIT: Today I got my first "minecraft has run out of memory" error! yay!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
all the redstone talk really got me into trying my hand at it. I tried to make a door that opens with a lever, with the cables hidden under the ground.
Didn't work because redstone placement is :wtc:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Did you use a redstone torch? Because that's pretty necessary.
Your avatar is me right now. Damned redstone torches, I even forgot they existed.

Vinigre posted:

It makes a lot more sense when you remember that despite being mostly air, redstone wire and redstone torches are blocks.
Yeah, this seems like a better way to approach them.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Remember that time I posted about how Redstone is loving annoying and hard?
Of course you don't, but anyways, Redstone is still hard and annoying.

But boy is it loving awesome.

This is my very first redstone circuitry thingie and I'm so proud of it. Next I need to find out how to automate stuff.

EDIT: WHOOPS WRONG SCREENSHOT.
DOUBLE EDIT: Ahahaha, just put two repeaters with a delay connecting to each other, this is cool!

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 8, 2011

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
So I remember when minecraft updated with pistons and I was like "woohoo, another thing I'll never use".
I always ignored redstone, had shitloads of things, but was constantly turned off by seeing those complicated things they did to have something as simple as an automatic door. Hell, it was the only thing I hadn't done in minecraft after getting sick of it. I was even ready to leave minecraft (before the updates)!

Holy poo poo am I hooked. This thing just breathed a shitload of air to a game that was already gaining momentum with these updates. Now I fear for my academic output. :(

I also modified the timing of my escalator so now you have to be sprinting to gup it, and you have to jump at the last second or fall into a pool of lava. I almost died 3 times in there.
EDIT: replace "gup" with "go up" but for some reason I like gup more.

By the way, 1.9's terrain generation is fantastic:

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 9, 2011

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
So uhhh, who are these yogcast people? I see them mentioned a lot and pretty much what I know about them is that they do Let's Plays of minecraft? Any goon willing to shed more light on the subject?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
We already do! Get two same tools together in the crafting tool (same material and all) and they'll sum their durability.

On a different note, yesterday night I spent a good half hour trying to solve a redstone problem, and went to sleep out of frustration. After giving it a good night's rest, I open minecraft, and upon my first attempt, I solve this:

Basically, I was trying to have two levers, and like a hallway's light switches, whenever you pressed EITHER one of the switches, the end product would change (In here the piston).
I made this so I could lower or raise a piston bridge from both sides, but by god did it take time.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
On the topic of breeding and animal farming, I've been paranoically breeding animals since hearing they are finite, and I've been wondering, are these enough to be sustainable?

Since cows more often than not give me no meat, I'm afraid all my farming will end up being useless. I've also chowed up like 30 foodstuffs while taking the original 5 or so cows up to those numbers, and if I start killing them, I'll end up with little food and less animals.
Long story short, good god, farming.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Giving some props to the Mad guys for being so faithful to the source material. Could do with less explaining the jokes (but the skeleton thing sets up the zuckerberg joke) and being less all over the place (What the gently caress is mark zuckerberg doing there? Why is this a detective procedural?). Still pretty drat good. 7/10

BTW, did 1.9PR5 get released already? I haven't checked with the mining and the crafts since I lost my 3 eyes of ender in that lava pit :(

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I can see what you guys mean about the Redstone thingy not being that impressive because at the end of the day, it simulates a real circuit, so any time some electronic engineer feels bored, they can totally make a gyroscop or something. I've always felt a bit unimpressed about the why, but the how is incredible.

But is there really any need to be douches about both sides of the argument?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

StealthArcher posted:

i have it

it crashed

Conglaturations, I have completed and awkward wait, and prooovd the justice of our amusement, now go and rest my weary brain.

This is hilarious, and I had to double take to see if you did misspell Congratulations just like the game.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

MikeJF posted:

It's kinda nasty looking at ground level. I wouldn't mind if it had real transitions, but as it is...

On a different note, I just destroyed my first stairs in 1.0 and got an actual shiver of satisfaction when stair blocks popped out. That's worrying.

To me, it was accidentally hitting a fence, and realizing that it had popped way early.
Fences break fast.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I really like notch and still think this is amazing. Though, I can't shake the feeling that people will eventually hate jeb_ too.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Little Blocks should be incorporated into Minecraft... Mini circuitry! (Or they could make circuits and make them editable in some weird window thingy (Redstone is just poorly implemented))

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
gently caress, somebody beat me to it, but having 6 different possible gravity orientations would rock all kind of poo poo. Especially since it's only cubes and not some mesh crazyness. Just... gimme my ability to change gravity at will, together we can make Super Minecraft Galaxy.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
You are educated stupid there are 4 cubic days and 6 gravities overthinking liberal sheep and only 4 sides are doomed to ONEism by the ONE (NOTCH)
learn timecraft and cubic truth

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

PalmTreeFun posted:

None of this Object-Oriented business. There will be no private members, there will be no classes. All data structures (NOT classes) will be public at all times.

The C-ommunist Manifesto.

(Also strings are awesome, why do people hate them so much :( )

Archenteron posted:

What about sunshine in a bag? Seems useless, but not for long.

:golfclap:

Bicehunter posted:

So, I had the world-gen add in lightblocks and I got the disco I wanted..

high res:
http://i.imgur.com/JhjUg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hmamt.jpg

Hello new wallpaper!
As a fan of trippy visuals and strong colorfulness, I can say this is impossibly great. Throw in some daft punk and make the lights switch colours around randomly.
A space disco is something I've been wanting to see ever since I played that one level in Sonic Colours.
(Child of eden too)

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 16, 2012

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I'll be honest, I loved both of Minecraft's commercials. I found them genuinely funny. COME ON, BRING THE STONES.

And seriously that looks nothing like minecraft, though the whole mold argument makes a lot of sense.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

The only real problem with going more outlandish with your setting is that you need more of an imagination. Minecraft has flairs of it, but it's basically more-or-less your standard generic fantasy. Skeletons, zombies, giant spiders, slimes, NPC villagers who only seem to exist for you to steal all their possessions...

This is part of why I believe the Creeper is so iconic (barring that he's a living demonstration of minecraft's selling point (deformable terrain)). He is such a unique creature design wise. I also really like the Ghast, because despite being a sort of giant jellyfish, he seems to be a ghost giant jellyfish that shoots out fireballs and seems to be crying constantly.

Basically, the monsters that stood out the most for me in minecraft were the least generic because they make a bigger impact I guess.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Wow, haha, that is nuts.
I find it especially funny since the extent of my knowledge about the yogscast is that there is a guy named Simon in it. Internet personalities and drama, it's like they are magnets.

By the way, seconding the 8 player last man standing thing love. It's a pretty ingenious idea, especially by limiting food resources to something so incredibly hard to obtain as gold apples. I wish it were easier to watch, like a sort of playlist for each player, and you can see their progress in a chart like fashion. You know, to see who dies and poo poo.

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 24, 2012

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Since we were sharing positioning tips a while ago, I've always used this system:

Whenever you find a forking path, put cobble to the paths where the cave gets deeper, and a dirt in the direction of the path you came from. That way I always know to follow the dirt.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Wow, I actually suggested this a year ago on Notch's Google thingie. great minds think alike!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i dont know how active this is but might as well try:

A friend from an old community sent me a dm with a strange request. Some dudes have been tracking down players from around the 2009 era. They are trying to archive as many old versions of minecraft as they can. Since i played the very first demos before there was an infdev version (hell, even an "indev" version), he asked if he could have my contact info, which my friend obliged. I checked in my folders and my oldest minecraft.jar dates to 2011.

I dunno why but i kinda want to help him out at least by asking here. does anyone have older versions archived in any way? I assume if anyone holds old archaic poo poo its something awful goons, so any help would probably be very welcome by those dudes.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
quote from the dude

quote:

Yeah
That's like a very common misconception, less then half of every Minecraft version ever released are on the launcher and the rd versions are development versions

seems they are going super granular on this stuff. check out this spreadsheet lol

quote:

Actually, I just remembered something quickly could you also tell people to check their %temp% folders for https://www.minecraft.net minecraft.net or Minecraft folders? And link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OCxMNQLeZJi4BlKKwHx2OlzktKiLEwFXnmCrSdAFwYQ/

People can have versions in their temp folders without their knowledge if they still have the same pcs or hard drives

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If these are archived the same way on OSX, I can check there sometime.

quote:

classic, indev and infdev versions would be stored in /tmp or /var/tmp and alpha versions would be stored in
/Library/Application Support/minecraft/

thank u mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Happy Thread posted:

Just write it into the gameplay, why does it have to be seamless. Add it as another dimension. Add a new type of barrier block. There's no need to be constrained by technical issues when you're the one with creative control over the game's design.

hello bitch, im gonna troll the minecraft thread now.