Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
The seed "bobodenkirk" gives you two villages, one on top of a ravine, rather close to spawn.

Now, if you want a challenge, "LOVE IS OVER" puts you on an island, with a pumpkin. If you want wood, you're going to have to swim for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
It's really rather strange that the most sustainable source of wool in the game is now spiders.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Macaluso posted:

Oh! It's Sphax texture pack: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/376784-16x-32x-64x-128x-256x-512x18-sphax-purebdcraft-aetherzipline-v081-120911/

It's gorgeous.

Also that long tunnel opened up into the ocean, where I almost drowned huzzah!

Once you go Sphax you never go back.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Akoogly Eyes posted:

So how about all the cool new Nether stuff that Jeb is (hopefully) adding in today, eh? Looks like we're going to be getting two new enemies and some sort of Nether dungeons. What sort of treasure should people get from exploring ruins in the Nether? It should probably be better than the regular world dungeons, to encourage people to brave the ghasts, fire and zombie pigmen for a chance at some sweet sweet loot.

Psst... hey. Zombie Pigmen don't hurt you, at all, unless you start something. Then they gang up and whomp the piss out of you, but at that point you deserve it. Just think of them as your zombie pigbros and chill.

Ghasts, however, still suck.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Triggerhappypilot posted:

It does matter - Now you can mold structures of smoothstone without having to furnace
it. You can't get bricks, but it's a much faster way of building.

Not to mention people who make cool self-healing houses get an upgrade.

Also, I noticed that your NPC villagers are unbothered by hostiles like creepers and skeletons. Time to commit some war crimes.

redmercer fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 22, 2011

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Times posted:

Is there any way to interact with the villagers or are they just sorta there?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Baronjutter posted:

So what are these poor guys? cows just infested with mushrooms? Actually fungal cows? They seem to have a normal cow under them. If there's horrible body-infesting mushrooms I'm almost surprised notch didn't add some system where if you spend too long in a mushroom biome you get infested too, with some sort of speed/health penalty.

1. Cordyceps. Eugh.

2. Heroshroom :gonk:

Also, from my initial dicking around it seems that snowgolems can be a great part of a balanced defense grid. If any mobs make it past the cacti and burning netherrack, the knockback from the snowballs push them back into it. They can't shoot through iron bars, but can shoot over a fence just fine. It helps if you put a roof over them to help guard against skeleton arrows (which kill your snowmans readily)

redmercer fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 23, 2011

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
If anyone was curious as to what a river running through a swamp looks like:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Tuxedo Jack posted:

If you turn the FOV all the way up in options, it says FOV: Quake Pro - is this a new joke or have I just missed it...

New since they added the FOV slider in 1.8

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

MrChupon posted:

I would have killed for a game that looked like this in 1985, I'm not sure you remember what the standard was back then.

Incidentally, this is exactly what trying to clear an abandoned mine shaft feels like.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Are pumpkin seeds still regarded to be unfindable? Because I just found some in an abandoned mine kinda mingled in with a stronghold on the seed 777.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

RoboCicero posted:

Does anyone have a seed for the 1.9 pre-release that spawns you near a Nether fortress? In the sense that if I build a portal near the spawn point I pop near one. I've googled around, but haven't found anything.

There's a town not far from spawn on 777, build a portal there and you'll get it

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

RoboCicero posted:

Thanks! Worked like a charm.

Do the Nether Strongholds totally remind you of Quake, as well?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

ThndrShk2k posted:

Ocean Biomes don't spawn edible animals as far as I know. Or the chance to spawn one is astronomically low.

I was disappointed that squid didn't yield calamari. On the other hand, I'm constantly surprised where the little bastards will spawn. Set up a waterfall near your town? Enjoy your new squid buddies!

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've never understood the need to completely explore a system of caves. I just treat them like the overworld: go in when I need something, carve out a small area, torch it, then leave. It's just too big to try to be feasible.

For me, the cycle seems to go something like this.

1. Get established on a low level on any given survival map.
2. Find cool underground stuff until I find abandoned mines.
3. Immediately feel compulsive urge to light up the whole drat thing, pick up all the free rails, loot all the chests, and smash EVERY SINGLE GOD drat SPIDER SPAWNER.
4. Fail in this, lose some good diamond gear in the process, and start over on a new map.

Abandoned mines are the DEVIL. And they are GREAT at dropping poisonous spiders on your head when you least expect it.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Bat Ham posted:

Have people figured out an efficient way to deal with poison spiders/spawners yet? Because gently caress them. gently caress them gently caress them gently caress them gently caress them gently caress them. The old spawner tactic of 'clear a path, run in and torch it up' doesn't work so well when there are webs everywhere and I keep taking poison damage.

It would be a lot easier if webs burned. But ifs and buts ain't candy and nuts.

I have had some success in sealing off sections, then digging in close to the spawner and breaking it thusly.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

PalmTreeFun posted:

Now I want to drive cars with Source physics around a Minecraft highway.

Oxcart! :whip::gonchar:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
...The Elder Scrotum?... Alright, I'll show myself out

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Vatek posted:

some horrible schizophrenic disaster that was apparently carved by miners who were left underground too long and went insane.

Having read that, that has to be the canon answer and therefore why mine generation must not be hosed with. :colbert:

How else do you explain miners who lay rail over gold ore?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Fuego Fish posted:

I'd really like it if there were particular block co-ordinates that acted like endermen magnets. Every time they'd place a block, they'd try and place it as close to the "magnet spot" as possible. So that way you could end up with weird structures that encompassed, or reached up to, a particular point. Imagine finding a huge tower made from assorted blocks, stretching up towards the sky like a primitive attempt to commune with the gods.

And now imagine returning to that tower with buckets of water, as if to act as the Metatron.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
The tops of tables in NPC villages, being wood pressure plates, now click as you walk by #mildirritation

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Gosh, I hope all the negative effects mean that potions will be throwable.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
And this is what happens at the intersection of a ravine, a stronghold, and an abandoned mine:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Schwarzwald posted:

Is... is that written in Standard Galactic?

Yes it is.

Well played internet/You are good
These names will be/Random and confusing
Each spell costs/Experience levels

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Vib Rib posted:

Vines count as their own block though. They're placed into the adjacent block, just like snow covers are.

There's no reason a lot of those fun ideas like dyed armor couldn't be implemented though.

Hell, I'm suprised stained glass isn't a thing yet.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
oops, already answered

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Bellend Sebastian posted:

Anyone have a seed that has a stronghold, village, mine or mushroom biome close to spawn. I've made a bunch of worlds and gone exploring and not seen any of them yet.

777 has the first three close to spawn. Look for the village near x-150, y-500. There's a hollow mountain with some exposed stronghold bricks at ground level, which serves as a good entry point into the stronghold itself.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Yas posted:

Foie gras?

It would be okay if it were geese, because geese are assholes.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

TalonDemonKing posted:

Isn't this effectively runecraft?

I prefer to think of it as "Animal Crossing minus the loan shark"

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Mikael Kreoss posted:

gently caress you. :(

It could be worse. There could be balut.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Serain posted:

I have a similar thing going on in the basement of my house, but with only 15 or so chickens. I had them in fence before, but I think I'll change it to glass now! Makes for a much nicer view. However, I don't have get a lot of egg production out of my chickens. I have several chickens in a much more humane free-range farm (complete with lush grass, daisies, trees and their own watering hole) and the 6 or so chickens I have up above seem to produce eggs significantly quicker than the 15 chickens down here. Have you noticed any decreased egg production? And how do you get the chickens up jump up like that? Mine just sit idly in the water and flap.

If I recall correctly, the Col. Tom Parker had a method for making chickens dance, but I don't know if you can implement that in Minecraft.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Eiba posted:

Getting started takes a bit of time, as you need a pretty large number of eggs to get things really going.

The design I posted is essentially a 1x2 pen with water in one block and a hole in the other. Chickens try to swim so while their eggs will be flushed out the hole, the chickens can't escape.

You want to make the pen out of a transparent material- fences or glass- so the chickens can breathe. Yeah. That's how Minecraft works.

I don't know exactly how tall the pen has to be, but it wouldn't hurt to make it pretty tall. You fill it simply by throwing eggs in the top.

If you're trying to do something silly and put the chickens in a tiny area like I did, you'll need another layer of glass (or fences) or the chickens will phase through the walls.

Less absurd farming methods are possible, including a simple fenced in area, but you need to make sure there are no exposed opaque block sides in the pen, or the chickens will very slowly take damage and die.

If you want to use a dispenser to fill your condensation chamber, it needs to shoot the egg two blocks or else the chicken gets stuck in the dispenser and quickly dies.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Devoyniche posted:

Oh, what the gently caress? I guess they don't want to use the Elder Scrolls style alchemy system, but that one really is way better. Now there's no reason to even experiment with the potions because if you find one that is positive, there's no reason to use anything else. There's no reason to even have negative effect potions, really, because nobody will use them unless they have some balancing positive effect.

Basically this. Also as it stands, the only way to make a good potion is with nether wart. As far as I can tell, nether wart only grows in incredibly specific places (on soul sand, in a nether fortress). And correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't even throw them, therefore no slowing down or poisoning whatever mob/prick is currently chasing you. I don't want to bitch, I just hope something's different in the next official release.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Schwarzwald posted:

With a hostility potion, obviously.

That could be interesting. A potion that changes a mob's attitude towards a player. Doesn't even have to be specific, it could just cycle through hostile/neutral/friendly/whateverthehelliscodedinthere

Basically what I'm saying is I want an army of friendly skeletons. Is that so wrong?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Dragons? Finally, a GOOD use for saddles :black101:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

wyoming posted:

I love the dragon, it looks like it's made of Legos. :3:

So did they up the number of strongholds in 1.9.3, or are they just ridiculously close to spawn?

Strongholds seem to nigh-always spawn near 0,0. Case in point: seed 777 has a stronghold a 0,0 in 1.9.pre3, while in pre2 it had one around -150,-600. Strongholds are also now marked by giant glass "dope towers" for some reason.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Times posted:

If there's a way to get plumbing to 'work' in the game so you can keep the cauldron constantly refilled that would be rad though.

Personally, I just use the water from my chicken condenser to fill potion bottles. It's a little gross if you think about it, so don't.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

MisterBibs posted:

I have to admit this is vaguely off-topic for the thread, but since the framing-issue is Minecraft, I hope I don't get yelled at for it:

As I mentioned earlier, playing with a high-res pack (which is so purty I can't bring myself to go back) has been causing me a lot of out-of-memory issues. I'm on Windows XP, with 2g of memory (I'm a "upgrade only when I really need to" guy, which is why I haven't upgraded much), so it's not really surprising.

Because Minecraft is the only situation so far I've had issues with, I'm a bit hesitant about spending a lot of cash on a Windows upgrade and memory, so I'd like to pick one: upgrade to more memory, or upgrade Windows?

The fact that XP doesn't 'fully' use 4g leads me to think to upgrade to Win7, but just upgrading to Win7 won't help the memory issues in minecraft... or would it?

*glances casually at the OSI model* Yes, it would. You put 'fully' in :airquote: quotes but you really do have unusable RAM there.

Reading a bit more fully, put a crowbar into your wallet and upgrade both. Windows 7 is really that much of an improvement.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

King Plum the Nth posted:

Holy poo poo I just found a a conjoined dungeon. Two dungeons, one with a zombie generator one with a spider generator joined at the corners into one large room. How rare is that?

:( Tragically while I was trying to fight my way into the rooms a creeper sauntered into the fray from the adjoining caverns and blew up the spider generator. Helped to thin the herd but I would have liked a string machine.

Just wait until you hit an abandoned mine. You will have string. So much God drat string.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
So I read a thing:

I hope you enjoy. Or something.