Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

MrGreenShirt posted:

I find myself to be the opposite. I only ever go into creative to dick around and experiment for a while until I come up with a rudimentary design that interests me, and afterwards I'll head into survival to begin the painstaking task of actually building whatever it is.

I get a real sense of accomplishment in building something in survival, while creative mode just seems to cheapen the experience somehow.

Whereas for me some of the mechanics of the game are simply arbitrary time sinks that distract me from building. When I'm just building something creating a food source that's stable and reliable is annoying, as is raising cattle to get leather to make books. In creative I don't need to deal with sometimes annoying and frustrating mechanics to delay me from creating my vision.

Different people play Minecraft in different ways. My house-mate thinks quite like you, whereas I disagree. I alternate for variety, but Creative is my preferred mode generally. (Also Australian latency on most servers makes Survival even more frustrating).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I'm reasonably sure that Enchantments don't stack that way. You can mix and match Enchantments with the anvil, but I don't think you can actually combine them the way you suggest. It's more moving them around than anything.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
You'd also need to convert your old map to the new format, as at that point I still think you have the Farlands and that was on the old map format.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I never minded Minecraft's artwork. Sometimes I liked to change it up and have higher res or even standard res texture packs, but generally speaking that was because I saw stuff that looked nice in Youtube videos and wanted to see how my stuff would look and not because I was dissatisfied with the default assets. You're welcome to dislike it though and as said, there are plenty of options. Not only this, but it's easy now, instead of the old days where you had to manually replace all the texture sheets and swapping between packs was a huge hassle.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
While I have no idea if it is actually the case or not, it looks just like Minecraft using Painterly assets.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I still love building Minecart networks because it's the closest Minecraft gets to trains. I have liked trains since I was a small child. But I also play in Creative Mode most of the time so it's not such a time sink for me to set up networks.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
If you can get into Creative Mode or get access to Sponge Blocks, they get rid of water blocks in an area around them. While it can create some odd eddies and currents, they're good for getting rid of water quickly.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I definitely would love to build in a map like that. But I really want the Skylands map type back, I want to build a bug city above the clouds.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Fuego Fish posted:

I'm going to hold you to this typo. I want to see the world's biggest and weirdest cubic hive.

Haha, that would actually be kind of cool admittedly. But I'm terrible with mega-construction, I'd definitely need help.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Considering that Minecraft normally does not give you the facility to see such a large world map and is not designed around the idea that you can, I am not really sure that it is a particularly meaningful criticism. For a game that has zombies, skeletons and a player who can punch down trees by hand and into small pieces of lumber, is a dedication to realism that great of a concern? As long as it is fun to play and the environments are interesting as I play that is what matters the most to me.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Vib Rib posted:

See, this isn't fair. I know a lot of people are throwing out images of what they perceive the complaint to be, but no, it's not for realism, it's not for petty sameness, and it's not even for the ocean biomes themselves. I don't know how else to emphasize this, but I don't care about this because they're too small and I don't care about it because ocean biomes are super-interesting. It's because they separate land into discrete landmasses. They create continents. They turn the land generation into something recognizable and interesting instead of a homogeneous patchwork quilt.

Why do continents or discrete landmasses matter in Minecraft? Everything is mostly in first person, so you rarely build up large external images of an area. The tile nature and lack of diversity in visual details in standard Minecraft also don't really contribute to this other. You don't have cars, or jets, or cruise ships in Minecraft, proper oceans would just be big and go on, and on, and on, not really contributing much and taking up memory. Walking around or even riding on a horse, you will still be pressed to discover and properly utilise the area of a country on any given Minecraft map. For the average player whether it is a continent or a patchwork of biomes does not make a great deal of difference, certainly not enough to make an average player during a period of time go 'oh hey this is definitely a continent' in their mind.

Even a real ocean is generally only particularly interesting to marine biologists and other scientists who study it once you get past being able to see the coast. Minecraft's draw distance is also not that great, so even at max in the middle of a proper ocean it would just be water all around. Honestly, I think a lot of this is for sameness, although I would not go so far as to call it petty, because what people want would not actually contribute a great deal to Minecraft, even if you did flesh out aquatic biomes. They are in the end, always filled with water and that enforces a degree of homogeneousness to them that the land based biomes don't have. Unless Mojang add in fish flesh blocks or something land based biomes will always provide more opportunities for building, as well being better for interesting landmarks, for animals and clear visual distinctness.

I just cannot see how having gigantic oceans contributes to the game mechanically or in terms of visual presentation. The only times people really know what the map looks like, is when we have large zoomed out maps like this which aren't provided for within the game. It's a third party tool that the game currently is not designed to factor in.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Maps aren't that large, they barely cover a couple of biomes. I have never really gotten a sense of scale or anything from them, it has always been Dynmap or the various minimap addons.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Optifine doesn't add new gameplay options or assets, it is an improvement (in principle anyway) of the base game. That sort of thing should not require a mod, so these are all good updates.

Maybe these changes should have been done long ago. But at least they are being done now, instead of not being done at all.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Villagers need a warrior/guard class that is capable of fighting zombies and skeletons, because Golems are too goddamned stupid to fill that role.

While I agree with the sentiment, it seems somewhat optimistic to think that this warrior or guard class wouldn't be equally stupid.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I personally just wish it wasn't the colour that I happened to like most in particular!

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
When I first started playing I had to wiki everything. I still need to wiki everything every update as well. The game either needs ways to give clues or hints for how to craft things, or just tell you what the recipes are.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

OwlFancier posted:

*shrug* For me, the next step was to type 'minecraft wiki' into google, same as I do with most games that are open ended with no clear objectives after a while, and see what it said to do.

It's not really a difficult thing to do? I'm not excessively against an ingame guide, I just really don't see the point in it. Why add a less-good version of an existing thing?

The point is that this should not be mandatory. You did it, we did it, yes it is not really hard. But the fact that it is required is the issue, not people's ability to do so. Almost every game these days has a tutorial, help or instructions on how to play for a good reason.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 9, 2014

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I'll admit I did like the secret Friday updates. It was always fun to see what new thing was in the game and at the time, things like redstone or minecarts were pretty amazing at the time.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

jivjov posted:

God, can you imagine trying to figure out Redstone when it was brand new? "Yeah, this blocky mining/building game now has electrical circuits"

Fayez Butts posted:

It has the same logic it always has, people picked it up pretty darn quickly from what I remember. It's not like they invented a new coding language or some poo poo with redstone, all of the gates and like theories existed before redstone.

Actually there was a bit of weirdness because of the old South/West rule and how you had to lay out circuits originally. While a lot of it made sense if you new logic and gates, the quirks and bugs made it difficult at first despite the real world grounding.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
They added in a number of new parts into redstone circuits as well, such as comparators, daylight sensors and redstone blocks. There's also hoppers as well now. Beyond pure gameplay features there are new map generation options as well and adventure mode is well on its way to becoming a much more realised and distinct gamemode.

Compared to things that some mods might add in they might not seem like large changes, but many of them are bigger than people are giving them credit for.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I understand why you would do that, but on the other hand for personal play on your own worlds what is the harm in x-ray resource packs? I understand that for multiplayer it is reasonably important, but Minecraft isn't only multiplayer and I generally play on peaceful or Creative anyway. While I wouldn't personally use x-ray packs, I do play in a way where there isn't really a mechanical challenge so enforcing this without any settings seems slightly disappointing.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
It's not about that though. As I said, it doesn't really affect me as I don't use them, but on principle it seems like an arbitrary thing to enforce. Maybe some multiplayer servers somewhere want to allow it? Enforcing it for the sake of balance isn't really that much different to mods making things more difficult for their own ideas of balance. I think having the option for it is a good idea, but I think it needs to be that, an option. Because there might be instances where you want transparencies on some blocks that aren't flagged as transparent legitimately for aesthetic reasons. Yes these are all small and potentially unlikely or at most, uncommon justifications but they're not implausible or anything like that.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Vib Rib posted:

It's because having transparencies on a server is basically the easiest way to grief. For instance, your home base and private storage: Normally you can just hide your poo poo but an x-ray exploit means being able to see any secret stash.

I'm not sure this is a good argument as someone could simply vandalise your home and then take your property anyway, unless you use an Ender Chest. But I do appreciate your point and agree, there should be the option for it. I just feel vaguely opposed to the blanket change with no option otherwise.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Tobaccrow posted:

Well, maybe they could add a cheat command to re-enable it. That would work to give people the option in single-player while preventing the average user from using an x-ray pack on a multiplayer server, wouldn't it?

That would make me happy, but I doubt they will do this.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I'd make a comment about the Mojang updates not destroying server performance, but considering Hoppers that sadly isn't true at all.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
That seems like a reasonable step towards allowing community created content more than just skins and sounds. I wonder how robust it is.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
The sponge definitely worked at least at some points, I remember using them to clear up water about a year and a half ago from an underwater city I was making. Watching that video, he's changed the way the sponges work because before they just erased all water source blocks and prevented them and flow blocks from existing in about a...two block radius. This appears to clear it out but not suppress flow blocks, also it doesn't go through blocks which the old sponges definitely did.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Hadlock posted:

Raise your hand if you're old enough to recognize that reference.

Game Over.

The User Wins.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Ihmemies posted:

Welp time to pack it up guys, we're hosed for good.

Personally I would be content with a few hundred mil and not sell out ever. But I guess notch doesn't give a gently caress about "principles" any more.

Notch is fairly entitled to make money off of his own product, and selling it to another company who wants to purchase it is within his rights to do. Claiming principles is a naive delusion. You bought his product and he does not owe you or any of his users anything further. If Minecraft stopped development now with the release of 1.8 Mojang would be entitled to do that, the game has been being developed for over 4 years. Sure they could do better but it isn't an MMO and they don't need to make new content to continue generating revenue off of subscriptions. There isn't any point in getting upset or angry about it though.

Oh well, if Microsoft stops development of the PC version and moves their resources to XBox then...so what? This game has been around for a while now and if the worst comes to the worst, we can all turn into Rutibex and talk about how PC 1.8 Minecraft is the definitive version of Minecraft forever or something. Or someone can actually step up and make a successor to Minecraft. Starting over with a Minecraft 2 would not be the worst thing in the world after all.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Telltale will actually finish Shadow of Israphel, the defining epic Minecraft narrative.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
There was a fantastic time in the survival multiplayer alpha, where my friends and I built a big stone pyramid and then decided to cap off the "temple of doom" with a bucket of lava. Five minutes my library made of wood several chunks away started burning down. Then a forest a couple of blocks from that. And another forest. Somehow the lava was causing any flammable object open to the air to catch fire. We put it out and renamed it the fountain of peace.

So yeah, old Minecraft bugs are hilarious.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Was dinnerbone responsible for all the terrible monster mechanics though?

Also what wwas the end result of their discussions on modding at Minecon anyway?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
That is likely to be better than with Notch's preferences mixed in.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Minecraft modding is both a positive and a detractor for Java Minecraft. The quality of the community and the mods themselves varies widely.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
HD textures in Minecraft look weird, because they're still applied to boxes. A cow with an HD face on its head cube just looks super out of place and amusing to me. The pixel style of Minecraft suits the block format of it much better in my tastes.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Could be used for brewing potions if Mojang remembers that system exists.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
There's a bone block...in Minecraft???

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Maybe you could all stop being so goddamn weird about it? The support is probably under resourced and also dealing with the legacy Mojang accounts is probably a massive headache. Their support priority directives may also be more about stuff like the micro transactions in the Windows and console editions, and also pacifying soccer mums because little Jimmy saw a penis online that someone made on a popular server. Who knows. Yes Microsoft could make the customer support experience better. No it's almost certainly not some weird or deliberate scheme.

Go back to talking about bees, please.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Whalley posted:

How's the leather taste on that boot?

Okay you weirdo. I'm on the side of the support could be a lot better but apparently you are more interested in your crazy narrative than reality.

What are good texture packs for both Java and Windows versions these days? I remember Sphax but what else is out there. Do you prefer smooth textures HD textures or pixel style texture packs. Share your favorites and any screenshots using them that you may have!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

ToastyPotato posted:

The fact that the average gamer seems to think basic business practices are "conspiracies" made up by weirdos and manchildren despite the ease of which information is available probably explains why game companies are so lovely these days.

Also, the "PLEASE TALK ABOUT ______" post that in itself doesn't talk about the thing they want to talk about never gets old.

No the conspiracy here is that Microsoft is short staffing support to deliberately screw over legacy customers or because they hate Notch.

Also the other thing that never gets old is the weird and toxic drama that the Minecraft community seems to love. Go make a mod about abusing bees and stop posting thanks.