Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yo what texture packs is everyone using these days? I just started playing with some friends again, have been using the John Smith pack for forever and it's nice, but figure I could change it up.

Does everybody use alternate shaders too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Is there a limit to how many mobs (or just blaze?) can occupy a single block's worth of space now? I built a blaze farm to farm XP, and there's a little 1x1 area where they collect, but if I get more than like 30 of them in there they start killing each other somehow. They can't see me, and based on the lack of sound effects I'm reasonably sure they're not throwing fireballs.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 23, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Beautiful, thanks!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I did exactly that (and didn't bother to clear out the levels above because gently caress that) and I see slimes all the time down there now.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It'll generate a new portal in the overworld if it's out of range of any existing ones.

It'll probably be at the bottom of some cave though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

How should you use villages? I have no idea, outside of my idea of just building walls to protect from raids? But the raid loot seems not super good? Idk.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

make villagers into librarians until you get one with a Mending book and then buy mending books and put mending on everything

Well poo poo, yeah that sounds good. How do I make Librarians spawn? Just start plopping down Lecterns?

Avoid sieges by never going at night?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I watched some random YouTube vid, they said just delete the DIM-1 folder.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

And Mending cannot be obtained via the enchantment table, you have to get it through a book, either traded or found as treasure.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

What is the procedure for installing server side mods on a local server? Download Forge or whatever?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah am I the only one still surprised to see it running on Java of all things?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh is Bedrock supposed to be the main one now? I thought it was like a mobile spinoff thing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wait that's a real thing? I can't tell if thats amazing or amazingly stupid. I guess the latter since there's no other way to get gunpowder.

Also drat the new nether owns bones.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Mojang logo: filled with neat curves they don't give us.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's defined in the Server properties file, but by default it's 25565.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That's correct. Also if you do go to the nether for some reason, it is trivial to delete the nether and it will be regenerated with the new stuff once you've got the update applied.

You can also use MCASelector to selectively delete chunks of the nether, and those will also be regenerated with the new stuff. That's what I did with my multiplayer server, just selected everything that had never been occupied by a player and deleted it, and installed the server pack for one of the snapshots. When you move into new chunks, you get the new stuff. Worked great.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Do you have this much control over save fails on a Switch tho?

Oh, on that I have no idea, sorry.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yea it's normal. Having spawns split between the players in the nether means that eventually the caps will be filled with mobs who aren't despawning, and so the farm effectiveness plummets.

Just gotta use it AFK when you're the only one there

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Just run around on the surface at night killing random spiders.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Does Bedrock do private servers at all or do you have to do Realms for multiplayer?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

This is the best video I've seen for how to really optimize it too if you care about that: https://youtu.be/DLe5-THpQ6I

The gold these turn out is cuckoo bananas. I built the afk drop kill version presented starting at 14 minutes. Or more properly I built half of it before realizing it generated more gold than I could ever possibly use.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 20, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

If I could have automated turning the bars into ingots and blocks I would have been a very happy camper but I don't think that's actually possible without mods. :(

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Lol the world now goes down to -64, rather than moving sea level up to 127?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

OgNar posted:

Caves & Cliffs will now be split into 2 releases, summer and winter.
Instead of just summer.
Like they said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YgKUZnUyak

e: World generation parts will come in winter.

Lol of course

E: we don't want to force people to work a bunch of overtime is the right call at least.

So they're focused on news mobs and blocks, but there won't be new biomes or caves to find them in? That doesn't seem to make much sense.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 14, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jamesman posted:

Edit: Caves & Cliffs Update*

*Caves & Cliffs not included in this update.

Seriously. What's even in this one, copper, goats, and axolotl?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

How do I go about setting up basic mods on a server that I'm running locally? I just want the tombstone mod and the one that makes an entire tree drop when you chop the bottom of it

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The snapshots are already coming out though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Nah Raytracing was a bedrock demo thing, I don't think it's even in the main branch.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

D34THROW posted:

Does a world with abandoned villages ever have inhabited ones? I swear I've only ever seen one or the other in a play through.

Yeah our current world has both

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Nah the seeds generate the same worlds in both versions now, but they're still not cross-play, Java remains PC only.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Tuff is a new block who's only use is decorative, and also it looks like poo poo.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 8, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

is it just me or are oceans a lot smaller in 1.18 snapshot so far?

I've encountered one very large one, but what I've noticed is that things I thought were oceans were actually very large river biomes

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The problem is that they have reduced air exposure, so you don't find a ton of them caving either...

TheDK posted:

What is copper good for?

Nothing mostly. Beyond decoration I think you can make lightening rods out if it?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

…. There’s like no way to speed this up, huh? Once you find a geode and clear all the amethyst blocks so that they can pop crystals on all sides you just… sit here and wait for the clusters to form? And use fortune 3 tools on them?

Nah just go find more Geodes and mine those

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Anybody try the current 1.18.1 optifine yet? It took me way too long to notice that when I was running it everything was at max brightness (diplayed, client is still calculating light levels as expected) all of the time...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yes

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

TheDK posted:

What is the best way to filter baby cows and grown cows where they hit a water stream when grown? Bonus points if the method also applies to pigs and sheep.

Trying to get a standardized butcher trading machine-hall setup going.

Well baby animals are only one block high, grown ones are two blocks high. There's a bunch of different ways to manipulate that to only harvest the adults.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Basalt Delta is where I'd try and build something for it, yeah. The annoying part I imagine would be removing other spawnable spaces in the area so you're only getting the magma cubes. It kind of sounds like a huge pain. Also a new Piro Pito video came out which reminds me that this sounds like something people will only figure out naturally if they add an achievement for it. Which, I assume they will, but still what an obtuse way of obtaining a new light block.

Yeah it's probably a "find basalt delta, build spawning platform way above the nether roof, import frogs" situation

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Water stream running in a one high channel at the feet of the adults?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

If you want to you could probably jam way more than two cows in every space too.