Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Roundboy posted:

i know this is more hardware, but i have to ask here to be sure. What are the bare specs to run minecraft 'well' ?

im trying to get a barebones machine for minecraft together for the kids ... and im debating a gfx card vs onboard graphics.

You can get away with onboard with lower graphics settings, but you can run it pretty well even with a cheap graphics card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Use them to create more chickens?

As far as I know the only uses for eggs are making more chickens (a 1/9 chance of getting a chick when you break one) and making food that's nowhere near as good as cooked meat. I think there's a video around of someone killing the Ender Dragon with eggs, if you're into that kind of thing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If you happen to get Fortune III on your shovel it'll turn gravel into flint 100% of the time, but that's pretty obscure. I think it will also work on a pickaxe but you'd be crazy to burn up a Fortune III pickaxe on flint (or anything that's not diamonds or emeralds, really). And trying to get it on a shovel is fairly crazy; you're better off enchanting your bow, you might get Infinity, and Power and Fire Aspect are both great to have too.

e: I'm relatively new to Minecraft and very new to enchanting so apologies if any of the above is wrong.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 4, 2013

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

^ I experienced the same thing this evening.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I've got to figure out a iron golem farming method so I too can have more iron then I know what to do with.

Just looking for diamonds does that for me.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I am a new player who got the bright idea recently to dig a pit about three blocks deep and put some lava in it, to use as a trash disposal. Imagine my surprise when I returned from a lengthy expedition to find my entire basement on fire.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Roundboy posted:

I only dug a single block, but I covered it with a wooden trap door.

Its been fine so far

Mine was covered with a trap door as well. It didn't help.

Fortunately for me I built my house out of stone. I made the basement floor out of wood because I thought the planks looked nice. Before they all burned to ashes.

Edit: Now I understand that so long as I don't intend to go down there, a four-deep hole covered by a trapdoor is fine to pitch trash into without the lava, it'll disappear after a few minutes.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 6, 2013

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jamesman posted:

I didn't realize garbage was such a concern for people. Y'all should be keeping most of your poo poo.

You're gonna be real sad when they finally make zombie flesh useful and you don't have any.

I keep all my zombie flesh to feed my dogs, I have like 6 stacks of it. Even chests can only go so far when I'm constantly coming home with 8 stacks of cobblestone and 3 stacks of dirt that I'm never going to use. Maybe one day I'll get a hankering to build one of those 25-chunks-square megafortresses with sky towers and then I'll really regret discarding those 20 doublechests full of cobble, but I mean, can you imagine the bills just to have that kind of place cleaned every day?

I also have eleventy billion bones and pieces of string sitting around (all figures approximate).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I dunno, playing in Hard(core) where getting snuck up on by a creeper means certain death and even with iron gear getting ganged up on by zombies/skellies can actually be dangerous keeps you on your toes, no? I'm still new to the game and have my hands full on Normal, I imagine for veterans even Hard(core) makes it way too easy to stay alive as long as you don't do anything stupid.

It would seem like simply making resources in general a lot scarcer (it'll take a month or two of in-game time before you find enough iron to make a full set of iron gear) would at least extend the period of time during which you're not safe. I haven't looked but I'm sure there are mods that do that kind of thing, right? As it is, I've usually got iron armor and a diamond sword by Day Three.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Just took my first trip to the Nether and where do I spawn? Inside a Nether Fortress :catstare:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I never have any trouble finding Endermen in deserts. Clear yourself about a 10x10 area with torches (16x16 if you want to be really safe), have a sword with Looting and preferably a nicely enchanted bow, and build yourself a pillar high enough to see over all the surrounding terrain. If you spot any skellies, spiders or creepers near your pillar shoot them dead (so they won't knock you off your pillar and complicate things while you're killing Endermen).

An Enderman will come after you as soon as you look at it, at which point you dig down on your pillar until it's 4 high, kill it and collect the spoilers. With Looting III you can get 2-3 pearls per Enderman, but even without it you'll usually be able to kill at 2-3 of them in a night.

I've also heard (but not done it myself) that if you build a nice big crude structure with a 3-high ceiling and wait for it to rain at night quite a few Endermen will find their way to you, and you can stand under a little 2-high cubbyhole and kill them risklessly. Waiting for it to be both night and raining is too much of a drag for me, though.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 16, 2013

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

All I can say is that if it isn't the most amazing mod API ever invented and completely fixes all of the horrible issues with minecraft modding, I'm going to say 'should have made minecraft 2 instead' at the end of it.

I agree with this part. There's definitely a big red line somewhere in Overhauling The Engine Land labeled "Fixing what isn't broken".

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

MikeJF posted:

The problem is, if it's a game that celebrates creativity and what you build, you shouldn't have enemies that can destroy things. But if it's a game where you can build things, you need enemies to destroy things to be able to make combat interesting.

Well... to the extent that's a problem, that's why Survival and Creative modes are different things, right?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

LeschNyhan posted:

There's also no reason to set up a mine at anything but the bottom 12 layers. It'd be more interesting to have a bunch of different ores or rocks spread out in overlapping bands across all strata, so that there's a reason for all that depth. Otherwise it's just adding more time and digging to get down to the bottom. Even if the only thing it does is give you more blocks, it's still worth it. Plus it'd add some colour to caving.

In the case of diamonds setting them to generate twice per chunk instead of once, but allowing them to generate anywhere below, say, layer 50, would make them harder to find and would provide more motivation to explore caves, rather than just digging down below layer 13 and chunk mining for them. Similar effects can be had with gold; redstone is already far too plentiful as it is.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If the house is relatively close to your origin then a compass will get you back there. You'll need to mine redstone to craft one, though. This early in the game I can't imagine you have anything there that isn't easily replaceable so just forgetting it and building a new shelter is probably better.

Or if it's really super important that you get back there and it's close to your origin, you can just mine straight down until you fall into lava and die. :v:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If I'm recalling right, you can only use an Ender Chest as mobile storage if you've got a Silk Touch tool or a pile of Ender Eyes handy, as they only drop 8 obsidian when broken.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

Needing Lapis for enchanting is cool I guess. I like the cheaper cost of combining/repairing and am going to assume that people will cry that it is too easy now which will get it changed/removed. I like being able to see what enchant you are going to get, but holy crap you can no longer dodge a lovely roll on enchants.

Example: Bane of Arthropods got you down? TOO BAD! Even if you throw a shovel in to change the roll, if you take the shovel out you just get BoA all over again unless you actually enchant the shovel or something else!

If I read the notes right you can at least just take out a bookshelf and try again with level 27 instead of 30, and get something different (albeit slightly weaker). If that doesn't work either, yeah, you're boned.

Anybody know if you can reset the level 30 enchantment if it turns out to be Bane of Arthropods by putting a level 1 enchantment on a fishing rod or whatever?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

I really wish they would fix villager AI. The constant opening and closing of the same door is driving me insane and making me not want to work in my village at all.

Also, are jungle saplings rare or something? I cut down a bunch of trees and got relatively few saplings.

They do seem stingier than other trees with dropping saplings, but I still usually get 6-8 saplings when I chop down a 2x2 tree. 8 is enough to make two more 2x2 trees so it's not too much of a problem for my purposes of making a jumbo jungle tree farm at home base. The wood's practically infinite--with just two jumbo jungle trees, if I chop one down and replant it, usually it's regrown by the time I can finish chopping another one down.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Just fired up a new game an hour ago and started in Taiga with a huge ravine about 30 blocks away from my origin (complete with water at the bottom so I could just jump right in). So by sunset on Day Two I'm already fully kitted out in iron armor, diamond sword and pickaxe with two diamonds to spare, a bunch of obsidian, some gold, several stacks of coal and redstone...

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

My horse became untied and I have no idea where the lead went. Luckily, it was safe in my village so it can't get out.

That happens all the time and it's extremely loving aggravating. If you want to leave your horse somewhere for an extended period you have to build a 3x3x3 stable with two doors and lock it in. A lead won't do it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You couldn't just throw one extra line of bricks on the inside of that one room?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'd heard there might be witches in a swamp, but nobody warned me about the priests.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 14, 2014

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Here's a thing. Playing SP survival with commands enabled on the latest snapshot, unable to locate a jungle anywhere on my expansive home continent, I switched to creative with /gamemode and flew around for an hour before I finally found one. After retrieving the jungle saplings I came for I did a quick /tp to get back home and... everything's gone.

Well, not quite *everything*. But...

* The dark oak planks I made my house out of remained, but the oak logs I built the supports from were gone
* All doors, stairs, ladders, windows, bookshelf, chests, railroad, crafting/enchanting tables were gone
* The stone brick I made my basement walls from was gone, but the stone I made the floor from remained
* All torches were gone, though underground caves where the torches were remained lit without the torches
* All trees, weeds and flowers were gone. Nothing but grass as far as the eye can see.
* Crops (including sugarcane) and livestock remained, but fences and pressure plates were gone
* Underground, the blocks that drop items when broken (coal, redstone, lapis, diamond) were gone, but those ores which only drop themselves (iron, gold) remained
* Water and lava remained intact

The effect stretched a significant but not infinite distance; it appears to extend over all loaded chunks centered on the point I /tp'd to.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? I sure did learn my lesson about taking cheaty shortcuts, but, :drat:.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Platforms would be a more wood-efficient way to pull that off :viggo:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jamesman: Try the word 'borax' as your seed. You spawn near the northeast edge of a huge fuckoff mesa (that even includes a small area of Bryce off to the west!), there's a village due north of the origin with like 20 horses and a bunch of cows right next door, expansive savanna southeast of the origin, and an enormous jungle about a day's hike southwest. One of the better seeds I've discovered to date dicking around with AMIDST.

In my opinion the world generator generates too much forest and too few plains.

Addendum: It will take some doing to get there, but there are Ice Plains Spikes about 2000 tiles west-by-northwest of the origin, and a Mushroom Island about 1000 tiles further west still.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 2, 2014

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I don't care much about the mechanics of combat per se, but the game would certainly benefit from more early-midgame nuance than "get iron -> contemplate switching to Peaceful because mobs can't hurt you and having them spawning just means Creepers can sneak up on you and piss you off."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Howmuch posted:

The reason I like the knockback enchant.

Makes skeletons a bitch, though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

So I haven't played Minecraft in a really long time. As such, I was unaware that desert temples are booby trapped. Yes I died and lost everything. Are the chests that were there gone forever before I make the trip back? :smith:

Shall I tell you an unpleasant truth or a pleasant lie?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jamesman posted:

Yep. :)

You play this game long enough, you start getting really annoyed by the little things. I still try to play it more or less properly, but ugh, walking around trying to explore with the current travel mechanics is such a pain in the rear end, I hate doing it more than I have to. If I get too far away, I just commit suicide and teleport home.

If you're going to do that, why not make it easier still and just /tp to some safe coordinates at your base?

sfwarlock posted:

Regarding temples: I'd much rather find saddles than diamonds.

You can usually get like 6 saddles out of a Nether Fortress, though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

wyoming posted:

You need thirty levels to get the thirty level enchants, but it will only take three levels, so after one enchant you'll be down to twenty-seven. You can go over thirty, to say sixty (though mind diminishing returns and blah blah), and do level thirty enchants over and over, they only cost three levels and three lapis. That and a tool tip now gives you an idea of what the enchant will be.

And if you don't want that enchantment (Bane of Arthropods, anyone? Projectile Projection?), you can enchant something else (books are always handy if you have them to spare) and then you can get a different enchantment on the item you want enchanted.

It's also now actually possible to repair your mighty Efficiency V/Fortune III/Unbreaking III pickaxe a few times! Using anvils now requires surprisingly and pleasingly little experience.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nebalebadingdong posted:

When 1.8 finally finishes, use the world gen options to make valuable ores appear at high altitudes and play amplified :eng101:

I just tried Amplified for the first time with my new computer and it is awesome. Exploring the world (even underground) is 800% more fun on Amplified.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

xzzy posted:

Custom is even better. :v:

I use the same seed for all my worlds because I'm a bit unimaginative, and it's kind of cool to tweak a couple sliders and see the same basic terrain do wild and crazy things.

The only downside is the lack of preview, it gets pretty tedious to change something, generate world, see what it looks like, then go back and try again.

I never noticed Custom was an option, neat. But I'm getting frustrated pretty quickly trying to make a usable world with it--is there any way to know what the settings for your bog standard Amplified world would be? Because what I'd like is that but with tweaked ore distributions.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

So did the last snapshot nerf the Efficiency enchantment, or bug it out? My Efficiency IV pickaxe still works just fine, but my Efficiency IV shovel and axe have both reverted to unenchanted speed.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I don't know anything about Java, and with a cheapish-but-brand-new machine with 8GB of memory, the game absolutely will not run beyond 8-chunk distance without soul-crushing lag. I was fairly surprised, I thought it could handle Minecraft better than that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yes, on 64-bit Windows 7. Java was a bit out of date, but updating it made no difference.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

LegoMan posted:

in the 1.8 pre has anyone found a way to reset what enchants are available for your item without enchanting something else? I read in the wiki moving the bookshelves and then replacing them willl change but my piston setup doesn't seem to change the potential enchant options (although the shelves are moved far enough to alter what level of enchants are available.)

As far as I know the only way to change the enchantments you're offered is to enchant something else; you can tear down all your bookshelves and your enchanting table and set it all up anew on the other end of the world if you want, but the game remembers the last set of enchantments.

The only ways to change what it offers as far as I know are:

(1) Change the number of hooked up bookshelves (by removing one or with a torch or whatever), or
(2) Enchant something else (books are handy for this, otherwise just use a stone shovel or something.)

The second thing is now actually a viable option since a level 1 enchantment only costs 1 XP level. If you have an XP grinder nearby and plenty of lapis, you can now feel quite free to enchant books or stone shovels while holding out for Protection IV on all your armor and so forth. and anvils don't cost nearly as much as they used to, so if you happen to get offered something really good on a book you can actually take it and use it.

Yesterday my Efficiency V/Fortune III/Unbreaking III diamond pickaxe finally wore out, so I took it to an anvil with a new pickaxe to see if it is fixable (before 1.8 it absolutely would not be, not even close). You know how many XP levels repairing it required? 2! TWO!

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 25, 2014

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

xzzy posted:

I would point the finger at hard drive speed then, I run completely stock on a year old i5 system and can run 32 chunk distance at 40ish fps. Can fly around in creative no problem with the new threaded chunk loading too.

This is possible--my hard drive is new but I went cheap on it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

This is Minecraft, if you wait for bugfixes you'll die of old age still waiting for bugfixes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

CJacobs posted:

What do I have to do to be able to use 32 chunk view distance in 1.8? I only have 16 chunk view still.

I think 64-bit Java is required?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

TheresaJayne posted:

They also sell what are called God Swords which are diamond swords with the enchantments out of the ball park and unavailable to normal players.

The good news is that with the new enchanting mechanics it's not that hard to make your own God Sword now. Kinda makes me wonder if that was an actual reason the enchanting mechanics were changed.