Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'd like to have a new world, with the updated biomes, but keep my construction projects from previous worlds. Is there an easy way to do that? The only way I can think of is copying+pasting everything in MCEdit, although this would look ugly

I haven't been keeping up with minecraft for a long time so I'm not as informed as most people. Is there a way to edit my world so it regenerates all the chunks (with the new 1.8 features) but tell it not to regenerate specific ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Wow. The official 1.8 release runs like butt for me and I guess I'm not the only one with this problem. Multiple second pauses every few seconds makes it unplayable. I really hope this game doesn't go the way of Dwarf Fortress, performance wise.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Is there a quick fix for 1.8 and the enormous 2-3 second pauses every few seconds? I get it online and in single player. Or do I just need to wait for a patch.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I posted earlier about getting 2-3 second freezes every 2 seconds. Someone suggested getting optifine, and it makes minecraft run much worse, less than 20 fps. I turned down/off all the options, and I still get the "lag spike of death" anyway. Minecraft normally runs at 60 fps. 1.8.1 introduced the lag spike, and I can't seem to get rid of it with optifine or any other method. Is there something else I might be able to try to get the game actually running well?

edit: I deleted the meta-inf folder, so that isn't it.

Node fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 10, 2011

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Mr Scumbag posted:

I was getting the same in the older versions, but from 1.9pre onward they seem to be fixed. Are you running the new versions?

I haven't updated anything except the one the game does automatically. I guess I should do that. Is 1.9.3 decently safe?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Quick question ladies and gentlemen: if you update to a prerelease, like 1.9.3, and then the "official" 1.9 version comes out, will the game automatically update or will it not since I chose to install a non-standard release?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I have a world I built a lot of stuff in maybe five years ago, and I want to start playing again. Has anything happened to Minecraft within that type (new materials to gather, new biomes, etc.) that should encourage me to start a new world, or am I okay in continuing with my old world?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Fortis posted:

PSA, if you bring an old (I'm not sure how old, I had it happen with one generated in 1.1) world forward into the latest snapshots, you're going to need to run MCEdit first to remove all mob spawners or replace them with something else. Their NBT data makes the snapshots flip out and crash.

edit: PSA 2: You can have treecapitator-style functionality through the use of data packs in the 1.13 snapshots. :allears:

If I generate a new world and use MCEdit to copy/paste my old buildings, that'll work fine, right?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Fortis posted:

Yeah, that'll work just fine. If you want to edit a 1.13 snapshot map though you need to use MCEdit Unified cause the latest version of MCEdit 2 can't load them.

I'm not sure what a snapshot map means. Can you elaborate?

All I want to do is just copy/paste a large area that contains buildings, walls, generic token Minecraft castle, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Is there a way to edit my experience/level without having my world tagged as cheats enabled? I made a mistake, I know it's cheating, but I want my experience back.