Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

I haven't been keeping up with Minecraft announcements recently. Does 1.8 have a release date yet, or is it still unknown?
The most solid announcement comes from Notch on google+. After August 28th (PAX prime).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Amppelix posted:

Oh gently caress yes notch
Wow, that's fantastic! Honestly if the next update was just rivers and mod-controlled world height I'd be pleased.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

glug posted:

Please tell me these actually flow so we can huck finn this poo poo.
Probably not unless he changed water physics.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

chippy posted:

Is this hosed for anyone else? Also I see on the stream are a couple of open windows on a desktop or something, and then nothing happen, and if I close the lab, Chrome freezes for a while.
I'm having the same experience. Can someone post in here some screenshots or what's happening? Anything new we haven't had him hint at?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

He should remove the "f3 = see all monster tags" debug key while he's at it.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd rather Mojang actually add new features or fix their old ones rather than put in options that frankly aren't necessary at all.
gently caress, I wish they would just add a bunch of items that do nothing - then we whom write mods could add their functionality.

I'd like potion bottles in different colors, glowing blocks in different colors, and something that looks like a tool please.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

F3 Doesn't show you where mobs are anymore! Yay!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Anyone know how to get a 1.8 server running besides through the client menu?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

fondue posted:

Anyone know how to get a 1.8 server running besides through the client menu?
Nevermind, found the server. It doesn't seem to be reading the server.properties file though, unless they changed that.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Okay, I've got a SMP 1.8 server running on goonimati.com:30000 if anyone wants to fart around. I have PvP enabled and pretty much everything else but flying.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Regarding Silverfish and Strongholds - in the Yogscast they got a silverfish by destroying a block in a NPC village, so there you go.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

hogofwar posted:

that they placed themselves with block id 97 == silverfish blocks...
Oh well, nevermind! :(

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Joust posted:

I think it will take a few days to get tired of just flying around a map and seeing what it will generate.

A ravine that cuts across a small landscape, narrowly avoiding getting flooded? Sure.
In the yogscast they came across a ravine that butted up directly to a lake and the water wasn't precipitating until they disturbed it.

Also, for anyone looking for multiplayer i've got a world running 1.8 on goonimati.com:30000

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

gravyflood posted:

Jesus man, 1.8 is the one coming out tomorrow. :v:
Did they actually say 1.8 was coming out tomorrow? From what I've read they just said that they'd resume the bug fixing then. Release might not happen until Tuesday or Wednesday.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

ThndrShk2k posted:

... Strongholds I think usually have a surface entrance somewhere in the world.
Not required; I just found the stronghold in the world I'm running right now and it's at least 20 blocks below the surface, no entrance.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

Anyone have any idea as to the changes between this and yesterday's pre-release version?
I'm pretty sure it was purely bug fixes. Of course the complete list is here.

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Weren't there supposed to be NPC villagers? Or just villages with no NPCs in them>
Just villages. NPC Villagers are coming in 1.9.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Snollygoster posted:

Do the Endermen still make zombie placeholder sounds?
Yes.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Who Dat posted:

There is literally no reason to download 1.8 PR2 now right?
Correct. An official 1.8 release has been provided.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Guys, don't try and shift-click an item from your inventory to a full chest. :ohdear: I don't know if it was reported before, but I just crashed. 1.8 official.

EDIT: Shift-clicking to add anything to ANY full container (yourself or chests) is a crash.
Did you crash the server or just your client?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Senator Woofington posted:

Here is the crash log I am getting from my server: http://pastebin.com/RRHvdP7G . Any ideas?
No ideas but I'm getting the same damned error at random intervals.

Anyone have the link to the exp orb killer?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

m2pt5 posted:

Notch just tweeted about these - apparently they're called "Mooshrooms" and they can be harvested with shears.
They've also almost run out of copies of Minecraft!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Rack posted:

Are there any workarounds for the smp exp-orb issue? ...
I run my PvP server off of bukkit, and wrote a plugin that kills exp orbs from a player when they die. Not exactly the most desirable outcome but oh well, it keeps them from spamming the server to death.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Vinigre posted:

Hot off the press!

Oh god please let there be different colored liquids available! Mojang, just make the objects available in-game, I don't care if they have no functionality! Now all we need are different colored gems ...

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

change my name posted:

Haha lost shard is going to be completely broken once we get actual spells and repair skills and poo poo like that
You severely underestimate Lucid. He'll just recompile bukkit and remove the references.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Vatek posted:

Notch is taking a vacation after Minecon. Not really sure why he put a trollface in there.
Because his 'fans' will proceed to calculate his work time vs coding time and tweet it to him.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Minarchist posted:

... goonimati (while it lasts) ...
What? What on earth would make you think my server is going to go away?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Bellend Sebastian posted:

aVo's videos are generally pretty funny, but Krysk has outdone himself for making new griefing tools this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3IUONiBd5E
That's god drat hilarious!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Is it just me or are you seeing chunks randomly decide to generate as skylands?

Also, there is always a stronghold at 0,0 for me. And no NPC Villages are being generated. Just unlucky?

[edit] Just unlucky, finally found one.

fondue fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 6, 2011

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Anybody figure out enchanting ingredients yet? I've been throwing random poo poo into my inventory in hopes that something will trigger.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Zoe posted:

drat it, I've been getting the urge to play multiplayer again for the first time in forever, but on all the goon servers I've looked at everyone is just so good I'm too embarrassed to build my derpy log cabins and farms. :sigh:
You should play on goonimati! You can build anything you want anywhere you want and all other players will provide you instant feedback on your buildings with tnt and/or lava. Often while you're in the middle of building it!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Insurrectum posted:

Courtesy of notch's twitter
Hilarious! That's basically a cauldron, a hatch, a couple of stone blocks, and a lump of bread floating in the cauldron.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Sure, four straight-on hits with a diamond sword is what it takes, but if you do a dropping critical on them it only takes two.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

PalmTreeFun posted:

Does anyone know a good way to make a good squid farm? I'm having trouble finding any good videos of it on Youtube.
Ethoslab has a great tutorial on that.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I'm incompetent with the eye of ender; how do you follow it? It just seems to spaz out in the air, not really going one direction or another, then falls. WTF?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Mining with a gold pick makes smooth stone?
Only on SMP servers running a plugin which makes it do that (like mine).

It's a nice trade-off; a gold pick axe smelts ore but wears-out quickly.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I know it's a big wish, but I just want them to revise how they load mobs; make it so they can be dynamically downloaded from the server. That way admins can create new monsters, creatures, etc.

If not that, at least let the mobs be skinnable and sizeable by the server. Like, for example, every mob having a small, medium, and large scale. Then we could make Skeleton bosses, mini creepers, etc. Just this one change alone would vastly increase the mobs in the game.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Shnakepup posted:

I dunno. Unless you at least also changed the behavior of the mod, simply up-sizing mobs to make them "boss mobs" would be kinda stupid. Like, imagine a giant skeleton, but he still acts like a regular skeleton, including hopping around and getting stuck on corners.
You can already grab distinct mobs using bukkit and change their behavior so this isn't an issue.

quote:

Or worse, a giant creeper that can cover ground twice as fast. It'd be guaranteed death and gigantic craters.
That would be awesome! As it is, giant mobs move the same speed as regular sized mobs so they appear like they're taking little hoppy steps instead of striding.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Boat posted:

My desert area is getting lousy with cacti because the Endermen keep grabbing cactus blocks and putting them elsewhere. Kind of cool that it works like that though.
One of my deserts is getting lousy with cactus but I can blame that squarely on one of my players.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

CaptainCaveman posted:

This took me about 10 seconds in an image editor:

I don't know if you guys play with monitors an awful lot brighter than mine or what, but if you're posting a screenshot to show something off, it might be worthwhile to make sure it's actually bright enough to see.
Sorry, I liked the original as I had no problem seeing it as it was. I do have a very nice monitor.

:smug:

Also, sorry it was so dark; I do bitch at other players for their pitch black screenshots. Evidence is in this thread for certain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Dartonus posted:

What really makes the picture is the fact that you appear to have caught the player in question in the process of moving one of the cacti.
Thanks! I just took another picture ... during the daytime. He's been busy.