Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Zoe posted:

Awesome. I don't mind abandoned mines still being there, I think stumbling across the occasional underground feature can be interesting and all, but not when you literally can't dig a tiny basement for your house anywhere without stumbling into a vast sprawling underground cavern system that goes on forever and ever.
I'm assuming the lack of caves is just a glitch in the latest snapshot (or a deliberate omission while the cave-generation code's tweaked to work nicely with Anvil) and not indicative of a permanent change to the game.

I know I'm not alone in finding spelunking to be one of the more enjoyable means to the pass the time in Minecraft. I'll typically fire up the game with the SPC mod, load my preconfigured spelunking kit and go looking for caves to explore. Hopefully Anvil will bring more interesting cave-generation possibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Did cave generation get turned back on for 1.2? I know it was turned off (deliberately or accidentally, I'm not sure) on one of last week's snapshots.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Fuego Fish posted:

The only real way is to wait for them to implode by themselves, and that doesn't seem like it's going to happen any time soon.
And at this point it could still go either of two ways: 1) Minecraft just continues to evolve systemically, but not necessarily aesthetically, and just basically becomes the 21st century equivalent of Lego to be enjoyed generation after generation for decades to come, or 2) Kids eventually get bored of Minecraft and move onto something else that provides a different kind of intellectual challenge and entertainment. At this point it's easier to see the former happening than the latter, but the wonderful thing about epoch-defining moments in gaming is that no one sees them coming, so it's more a case of "when" it'll happen rather than "if". I suspect Minecraft will remain a big deal for the rest of our lifetimes, but ten years from now there will probably be a bigger deal to contend with.